ED visa - SUCCESS in Sydney - quick, easy & friendly service

Had my ED visa paperwork since about a month ago, and it was for 4 hours a week study approved by the MOE.

I've noticed nobody posted about getting an ED visa in Australia. Usually it has been recommended on this forum & by language schools (including mine) to go to Laos. I was getting a bit worried with all the reports about people getting rejected in Europe (school also warned of Europe) and Malaysia & was wondering if it may be the same in Sydney, but that's not the case.

The Thai Consulate in Sydney was super quick with hardly any queues, none of this hundreds of people like Laos. Once I took my number, it took about 5-6 minutes to be called to hand in all the documents. Friendly guy behind the counter checked it, my photo wasn't the right size so said it's best to get another one taken there. Cost me $10 for a pack of 6 photos. Went back to the counter & gave it to him & he gave me a receipt to pick up 2 days later. When I returned 2 days later, I was the 1st person to arrive there being 15mins early (they were still closed for lunch break). Took a number and sat down. When it was 2pm there was maybe 10 people waiting around & I was called up, met the same guy as the 1st time & collected my passport. The guy even said "enjoy your holiday in Thailand" lol.

No problems with the old 4 hours a week paperwork in Sydney. It was fast, friendly & easy to deal with. Another option for anyone who wants an easy Consulate to deal with & willing to make the trip ;)

• Like 1

Which school are you signed up with? You may be in for a shock when you go for your 90 day extension. Right now the immigration officers here in Thailand who process your extension couldnt care less about what the consulates have issued you its all about the school you are at and the number of hrs you are doing per week.

Which school are you signed up with? You may be in for a shock when you go for your 90 day extension. Right now the immigration officers here in Thailand who process your extension couldnt care less about what the consulates have issued you its all about the school you are at and the number of hrs you are doing per week.

Language Express in BKK

At this time only some consulates have increased the required hours to issue the visa.

No reports about immigration office requirements.

Single Entry. I plan to stay the whole year so no need to apply for a Multiple. I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems in applying for a Multiple.

Well, a multiple entry has its advantages, because it would avoid dealing with immigration for extensions. Just doing border hops every 90 days instead of extensions at bt 1,900.

Edited by paz

The benefit would be for people who need to fly out during the year to see family/friends etc. I know I would rather go every 90 days to immigration and pay 1900 baht than going overseas, which would cost more money and time.

The benefit would be for people who need to fly out during the year to see family/friends etc. I know I would rather go every 90 days to immigration and pay 1900 baht than going overseas, which would cost more money and time.

Sure it's a personal choice. For some people is convenient to go to the border and those is the south are lucky to use Malaysia to which no visa is needed.

Single Entry. I plan to stay the whole year so no need to apply for a Multiple. I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems in applying for a Multiple.

Well, a multiple entry has its advantages, because it would avoid dealing with immigration for extensions. Just doing border hops every 90 days instead of extensions at bt 1,900.

Legally a Ed Visa is only for Single Entry.

• 2 months later...

Are you two Australian? Perth (after checking with Brisbane) told me last year on the phone that if one were not Australian, then some connection to Aus would be required beyond just flying in to get a Thai visa. This rule supposedly applied to all locations in Aus re: O / ED / etc visas. In other words, what we know as 'non-immigrant' visas.

A tourist visa was still ok though, if I remember correctly. Don't recall how many entries they offered.

Edited by john_bkk919

Are you two Australian? Perth (after checking with Brisbane) told me last year on the phone that if one were not Australian, then some connection to Aus would be required beyond just flying in to get a Thai visa. This rule supposedly applied to all locations in Aus re: O / ED / etc visas. In other words, what we know as 'non-immigrant' visas.

A tourist visa was still ok though, if I remember correctly. Don't recall how many entries they offered.

Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

Yes i am also an Australian citizen

hmmm, Next year for my 5th year of studying I may hop over to Aussi, always wanted to see what is cracking down there. The places that everyone normally go to are so full and it takes a long time for this reason, so I guess if you go and make your ED visa somewhere that most people would not consider it would be less hassle.. Thanks for your post OP, I will consider it next year, if I am still around that is rolleyes.gif

Nope.

BBK immigration office does not came about the school or the number of hours.

They just care about getting the number of ED visas down

I don't understand this post.

No one has been rejected applying for an ED visa

It's only that you get tested when you extend or enter Thailand

Four hours or 8 hours won't make ANY difference to you or to immigration

The original post was posted back in November. You didn't read on this forum about all the people in Europe & Malaysia being rejected, or had your language school tell you about people in all European countries seeming to get rejected? Everyone was suggesting Laos as the only "safe" place to go or face potential rejection.

Edited by bbi1

I don't understand this post.

No one has been rejected applying for an ED visa

It's only that you get tested when you extend or enter Thailand

Four hours or 8 hours won't make ANY difference to you or to immigration

The original post was posted back in November. You didn't read on this forum about all the people in Europe & Malaysia being rejected, or had your language school tell you about people in all European countries seeming to get rejected? Everyone was suggesting Laos as the only "safe" place to go or face potential rejection.

Malaysia yes but it's known to be difficult there.

Europe no