Thai taxis undergo inspection before adjusting their new fare rates

webfact

Taxis undergo inspection before adjusting their new fare rates

BANGKOK, 10 November 2014 (NNT) – The first phase of taxi fare adjustments that are set to begin in December 1st have seen a flow of taxi operators continuously bringing in their vehicles to be checked and inspected.

76 percent of the inspected taxis have met the standards so far, while the rest have to go back and improve their vehicle quality or they will be unable to raise their fare prices. As for unqualified taxis, they are given 15 days to improve and come back for the inspection again.

According to Deputy Transport Minister Akom Termpittayapaisit, there have been over 3,000 taxis that came to receive checkup services from November 3-6. The vehicles that passed inspection will receive certain documents as proof so that they are able to adjust their fare rates.

Taxi fare adjustments will also be categorized in two different phases. The first stage involves requiring taxis to go through the inspection process. Later, the second stage involves asking the general public to express their level of satisfaction in using the service so that a second round of fare adjustments can take place.

The Transport Ministry will set up a working committee to manage and organize public transportation including buses, tour buses, motorcycle taxis, and taxis as a means to improve their services provided for the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-10 footer_n.gif

Come on guys, do we really believe Somchai is gonna wait untill his taxi gets the all clear..? 3000 taxis out of 60,000 + in Bangkok area... and when we are pissed and trying to get this new little bargirl home... Do we really care..! wai.gif

Come on guys, do we really believe Somchai is gonna wait untill his taxi gets the all clear..? 3000 taxis out of 60,000 + in Bangkok area... and when we are pissed and trying to get this new little bargirl home... Do we really care..! wai.gif

Are you one of the 'quality' tourists Yingluck and the TAT are always on about?

• Like 2

I'm new is 3000 expensive from airport to centre of Bangers? It seemed a bit to me but I'm a little bit lost with money as thought it were like 15 quid but it's 60 I keep convertin wrong way.

you were ripped off big time,but you will learn by your mistakes,as in sure most people on this forum did on their visits to Thailand.
  • Like 1

I'm new is 3000 expensive from airport to centre of Bangers? It seemed a bit to me but I'm a little bit lost with money as thought it were like 15 quid but it's 60 I keep convertin wrong way.

I go from Swampy to Don Muang by cab, 500 Baht is typical.

• Like 1

76% of Taxis have met the standard so far ? Now I wonder what sort of standard that may be ? Could it be roadworthiness and internal cleanliness ? or perhaps, just perhaps, meeting the standard of bribes to be paid to Land Department "inspectors"

shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif SHAME SHAME SHAME How could you say such a thing

Don't you know taking bribes, gambling and prostitution are illegal in Thailand whistling.gif

• Like 1

Before they put up the fares which they surely deserves, make sure that all taxis are up to the proper safety

standards....Just the other day, and I kid you not, I saw a taxi on Mid Sukhumvit Rd. that was circa 1980's Toyota Corolla, that rust bucket was practically driving side way already, that's how dilapidated this contraption

was....and it had roof sign and a meter, some how I don't think this taxi was a legal taxi at all...

Here's a grand suggestion to help taxi drivers get a decent tip.

It's like an OVEN outside & they (understandably) are in an AC cab all day. Passengers are NOT.

Wear a jacket & keep the inside of the taxi around 25C instead of 32C when it's 33C outside???

Put a sign in 5 languages saying the driver appreciates tips for keeping it comfortable inside as BKK is quite warm.

The Skytrain is usually about 23C inside & feels like HEAVEN!

I don't want to ride around in a 33C taxi back seat with the AC on low.

================

For the most part BKK taxi's are decent enough though.

I gave it a go (driving a taxi) once in Orlando about 30 years ago. I lasted all of one day. It's a tough job, though I've no sympathy for scammers.

3000 THB to town from Swampy is a SCAM! Live & learn though.

Should've seen my STUPID ass at a bar in Athens once. I had a $350 USD tab in about 45 minutes. Damned lady-drinks were $85 USD EACH!

These thugs can drop dead for all I care.

Halloween night, a friend and I left left a restaurant in Asoke bound for Thonglor.

Which is a 55/60B ride.

After going through 8 Taxis', which all demanded 300B, we started walking and noticed a dozen or more people on Suk getting the same treatment.

Thai alike.

Every cab we flagged had their I.D. plate covered with cardboard. wai2.gifwai.gif

Scum.

FO.

Wow! I was regularly quoted 200 baht, off meter from Asoke to Din Daeng. It's looks like the renegade taxis have increased their extortion/flat rates ahead of the Dec 1st meter rate increase.

Why do most of the foreigners only think of Sex? or working for beer money when visiting our country? yes, we have many problems but don't you think that you are contributing to our problems too with such blatant statements.. believe it or not some of us would love to ride in a decent taxi without ripping our pants or loosing our items because it has slipped between the gap of the seat and the backrest.

Please don't "tarnish us all with the same brush". Using sweeping statements like why do most foreigners do this or that, isn't correct. We are individuals. It is like me saying most Thais have brown eyeswink.png

I don't believe that foreigners are contributing to the problems in Thailand, in fact the opposite. Discussing on forums or even talking to others won't affect anything, as we are all guests here anyway and I don't see change because of it. I do think that Bakseeda should expand his vision though, even if his point might have some truth to it, for some.smile.png

I would say that one aspect of Thai culture I would love to see change for the better, is that of accepting criticism.

Juvenile comes to mind.

this whole taxi thing is BS. went to mariah carey show at impact arena. after show tried to get a taxi to mo chit bts. was told 600baht. where are the people who are supposed to moniter these theives. nothing will ever change with the taxis other then them getting worse, as no one cares, only the people who get graft. when there is a show like that some one should be there to moniter the taxis and there B.S. there were police and military all over, but no one paid attention to these theives(TAXI'S).

I agree, in that they shouldn't "Regulate" taxi fares if they aren't going to regulate them.

Still, you're looking at a bit of a haul from Muang Thong Thani Impact to Mo Chit BTS.

Probably 350 or 400 THB by the meter.

While I'm all for a $18.75 USD/ 12.5 Quid taxi ride (600 THB) as being a decent deal (would cost $50 -$60 USD in the USA) for that distance, they should make it an official rate if that's what they intend to charge.

I hate it when they say one thing, then do another......Except certain venues on Patpong, Nana, etc... Where "illegal" activities flourish.

T.I.T.

Live with it I suppose, or go nuts trying to figure out the local "Logic".

==============

I seldom hear folk refer to Thailand as the "Land of Smiles" anymore. Now it's called "Thainess". It's fairly apt. Say one thing, do another.

Just go with the flow. Taxi's are cheap as chips in Thailand as compared to the USA...I'm sure they ain't cheap in the UK nor Europe either.

It's all relative, mostly to one's mind-set.

umm yer just a little.

My last trip from BKK to Kanchanaburi was 1600 baht. I tipped him another 200. So yeah, you might have overpaid.

Last night refused by 7 taxis from Soi 5 to Soi 77. Went to the poice, they sent over a cop. The next taxi refused, claimed he was going off duty (with his red light on and waiting for a fare). Cop did nothing. 2nd (very rude) driver took me, shouting most of the way about the police. <deleted> them. Getting only exact change from now on.