Controversial Beach Booms claim life of Russian on Pattaya Beach

webfact

and although this thread is somewhat about a young man drowning it is also about the other lives claimed by these constructions in the water, they are obviously dangerous and are causing more deaths than that which they are designed to protect against

Obviously dangerous? Don't think so. I've found them to be no danger whatsoever but then I don't try to walk along them (which is prohibited) in the dark, drunk. I think you'll also find that the many thousands of beach users who return home safely don't find them to be a danger either.

"are causing more deaths than that which they are designed to protect against"

Now that is some real unsupported nonsense.

• Like 1

Daily I see kids and adults playing on these booms, at night I see people sitting on them to fish. It would be a shame to destroy their good times because a drunk downs at 3 AM. So sorry for him but it is not a valid excuse to deny those who use the booms in a responsible manner the fun they desire. The booms are to protect people from jet ski, boats, other motorized things which it did, even for the dead drunk.

There is a solution

Ban all watercraft from beach areas therefore these dangerous killers will not be needed

If people want a speedboat to Koh Larn then use the Bali Hi - there is no need to have them running a ferry service from the beaches - and as for jet skis well we all know what we would do with them

Time for change - the local authorities have been unable to do anything more than talk about it - bring in people that actually do stuff and not just hold meetings

Ban, ban, ban. Please go home or stop complaining. You can't protect stupid people from themselves.

Not my place to tell anyone to go home. Not my place to determine who is stupid. Some do that quite well in writing.

Being stupid drunk in Thailand is risking ones' life.

What is a beach boom? I don't see one pictured in the link.

I also had no idea what a boom in the water is:

1: a long pole attached to the bottom of a sail boat's sail
: a long pole used to hold a microphone in position from a distance
: a floating barrier used on a river, lake, or harbour to catch floating objects, to keep boats from entering, or to prevent an oil spill from spreading

so everyone that has been killed because of these booms has been drunk - is that what you are trying to say

may I suggest you take yourself off and do a little research before you embarr'ass yourself further

oh and I don't have an agenda - I have an opinion about how to prevent further deaths on the beach

"Everyone that has been killed...".

Everyone? How many is that? Do you mean the one, maybe two people? Do you mean the people who were crazy enough to be walking on them, which is not permitted? They were not killed by the booms they died after doing something foolish. May I suggest you take yourself off and do a little research before you embarr'ass yourself further [sic].

It doesn't matter where you go in the world, young men are over-represented in all manner of accidental death statistics, including drowning. This is because young men tend to engage in risk taking behaviour; I did it and most people reading this will have done it also. Luckily, like you, I got through it, and emerged into my late 20's a bit more mature and safety conscious. It may be that young Russians engage in some types of risky behaviour more than others, but irrespective of this, it is an unnecessary loss of life and a tragedy for those who loved him.

Alcohol is a bad mix with many things including youth, firearms, knives, drugs, vehicles of any sort, speed, height and WATER (speed, height and water are the three big 'killers' everywhere).

I'm unfamiliar with the booms but they do sound controversial and maybe their design could be improved? Maybe they are not the best solution to the problem of keeping swimmers safe from boats? In other countries buoys are often utilised to define swimming and boating zones. I wonder how many drownings have been 'caused' by shark nets in place to protect swimmers in Australia and the US? (Surely a more hazardous water structure). In some countries the harbour-master, coastguard and water police are a force to be feared as they enforce strict rules aimed at water safety for everyone; education and policing the rules are probably the best solution, which is presumably why so many countries do both.

• Like 1

Not sure about the Pattaya bay booms but earlier this year, I recall seeing people walking out on the Jomtien booms as the individual floats were close together. More recently, they have modified the Jomtien booms so that there's a large gap between the floats. Still does the job of preventing jet ski's and the like coming in as there's ropes between the segments but the gap is now big enough to stop people walking out on them.

The Jomtien booms are 100% safe as far as I am concerned and anyone getting injured or dying through playing on them have only themselves to blame, sober or otherwise.

I am talking about the Jomtien booms down around Tulip House and the original Jomtien Condo. I have no clue if the ones at the north end near Dongtan where the beach is usually busier have been modified or not.

There is a solution

Ban all watercraft from beach areas therefore these dangerous killers will not be needed

If people want a speedboat to Koh Larn then use the Bali Hi - there is no need to have them running a ferry service from the beaches - and as for jet skis well we all know what we would do with them

Time for change - the local authorities have been unable to do anything more than talk about it - bring in people that actually do stuff and not just hold meetings

With all respect to the deceased, I suggest "heavily intoxicated at 03:00" might be a strong factor.

It appears you can reduce your risk of trouble by up to 99.9% in Thailand by avoiding just two things:

1. bar girls/boys

2. alcohol.

and 3. beach booms.....and zebra-crossings........and motorbike-taxis......and buses........and traffic........and high-rise buildings......and song-taews............and police-checks.....and night-clubs............and.......and, but you're right........trouble is usually caused by drunken bar girls/boys. wink.png

"The 2 Russian men were drinking together earlier in the night and are thought to have been heavily intoxicated" I would say at 3 in the morning that'd be a given. I fail to see how these beach boomers caused the death, it was the alcohol and the following absence of normal common sense caused by the alcohol that caused the death. RIP young fella

Beach booms or not , the young russians love to get drunk , an accident waiting to happen. He probably never been on a beach before in his life.

Edited by balo