Five drug traffickers shot dead in clash with Thai border patrol

webfact

Five drug traffickers shot dead in clash

11-11-2557-15-25-51-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five armed guards of a drug caravan were killed and moire than 420,000 methamphetamine pills seized in a clash with border patrol police near the holy border in Chiang Mai’s Chiang Dao district this morning.

The clash broke out when a unit of the border police attached to the 335th border police base in Chiang Dao encountered an armed drug caravan crossing into the Thai border near Ban Denyakad village in Tambon Muang Na.

A fierce gun battle broke out when birder police ordered the caravan to stop.

The caravan fled across the border leaving behind five dead, and their guns, and four bags containing 420,000 methamphetamine pills.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-drug-traffickers-shot-dead-clash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-11

Chiang Dao is a great place for birding, but I didn't know it had become so popular as to merit its own police unit!

It's a shame that all of these lives are wasted so frequently. I'm sure there's a better way than just opening fire on each other. While "Yaba" and "Ice" are serious drugs that have devastating impacts upon those who involve themselves with it (and their families / friends), I'm sure education and rehabilitation programs could go a long way here. The elephant is already out. Why don't they try to find a solution? From where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like their approach to solving the problem isn't working very well.

Chiang Dao is a great place for birding, but I didn't know it had become so popular as to merit its own police unit!

It's a shame that all of these lives are wasted so frequently. I'm sure there's a better way than just opening fire on each other. While "Yaba" and "Ice" are serious drugs that have devastating impacts upon those who involve themselves with it (and their families / friends), I'm sure education and rehabilitation programs could go a long way here. The elephant is already out. Why don't they try to find a solution? From where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like their approach to solving the problem isn't working very well.

Are you aware how drug dealers operate. Half of them are brain dead from using their product and knowing no better do not want to get caught and suffer the consequences. The only way out for them is to either run or open fire and then becoming involved in a fire fight that unfortunately leaves people dead, which in this case has turned out to be 5 drug runners, thankfully no police and a large quantity of Yaba left behind.

Can you explain how education and rehabilitation would help. Unfortunately, many of these people have no education, cannot read or write, so forget education as they would not understand. Rehabilitation. Don't think so, as many only know this way of life and having no work, as we know it, resort to drug running, as the Mr Bigs give them money, which they could never earn elsewhere, so they continue in this trade to feed themselves and their families. There is absolutely no incentive to stop, as it can be seen by the number of people gaoled, who return to this way of life once they are released, as they know nothing else.

There will never be a solution to this problem owing to the amount of money that can be gained in they are successful in their delivery. One might assume that this has not the first time this group has been involved in running drugs across borders and I do not think they would be prepared to give up their product without a fight. And I can assure you that if it was me and they wanted a fight I would make sure that it was me who came out intact. I think that the police might have the same attitude, hence the end result.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1