Anyone heard of this Immigration policy?

Went to do my 90 day reporting and the Immigration Officer (IO) acting as I had broken a major law ordered me very strictly to go to the Investigating Immigration Office (behind where they do the photocopies) as I didn't have something in my passport which he called Article 37.

He told me that immigration will come to my house and fine me if I am non-compliant.

My research here on TV came up with this:

"The Immigration Act, BE 2522, contains Article 37(5), which says that any foreigner who is temporarily in the Kingdom must notify the Immigration Division as soon as possible upon the expiration of 90 days. This must be done for every 90 days that goes by, unless you leave and come back, as discussed below. Article 76 of the Immigration Act also provides that a foreigner failing to properly make this notification shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 baht and an additional 200 baht per day until the notification is submitted."

But supposably one is also to have have the owner of the residence one lives in fill out a form called "Notification Form For House-Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Alien Has Stayed" along with another one that lists the names of the aliens in residence.

The friendly IO in the Investigating Office told me that it was because there was so many foreign criminals here and it was a way to control the (us) aliens. Upon mentioning that as I have lived here 8 years and was a bit surprised as I never heard of it she said it has been on the books for a long time but they are trying to impliment it now.

She also said the house owner had to come in person to do it and mentioned a few times that it was free and gave me the forms necessary.

This is really no big deal for us to do and will next time where go to Immigration but was just more FYI and wondering if anyone else has any experience with this rule.

Nothing new, 90 day reporting is required if you stay 90 days in a row in Thailand.

The reporting by the housemaster is often only required for hotels, guesthouses, appartment complexes and such. But now increasingly also enforced for normal hosues at some locations.

• Like 1

Junglechef,did they look in your passport to determine your house owner hadn't filed the report or did they look on the computer to determine this report was missing. Just wondering. I don't see any special note in my passport that this report has been filed by my condo management and I know it has been.

I know mine has been done because I rent in a condo building and the management is very careful to ask new foreign residents to submit a copy of the photo page of their passport for just this purpose.

One time we were gone for a few weeks and had a friend cat-sit and live in our condo and they were very grateful that I gave them a copy of the photo page of her passport a day or two before she came without them having to ask.

Big places like condos and hotels can file this report on-line.

As far as l know, this policy has been in force for a couple of years. l am lucky that my landlord has completed all the required forms and even goes with me to immigration.

"Notification Form - For House-Master" copy of Blue house book, copy of house owners i.d. card... always take a copy when visiting Immigration doing the 90 day report......... think it has been asked for 3 times in about 4 years or so

Never just hand it over, just have it encase asked

• Like 1

Perhaps I need to explain further.

In the process of our discussion she asked many questions relating to my living situation (it is the Investigating Office after all) and found out they I have lived with my Thai family in the same house for years and so forth which seemed to put her more at ease.

But what I might have not explained properly was that the original IO looked inside the back cover of my passport before his reaction. I assume that this is where the notice it is suppose to be.

We live in a small village outside the city in a home where the house and land are in my GF's name. I just not only have never been asked about it but never even heard of it for someone with my living situation but I can guess that it might just be the case of many laws now being enforced.

"Notification Form - For House-Master" copy of Blue house book, copy of house owners i.d. card... always take a copy when visiting Immigration doing the 90 day report......... think it has been asked for 3 times in about 4 years or so

Never just hand it over, just have it encase asked

How I was explained that the house owner has to do it so that would mean the house owner would have to come with you to do your 90 day report every time if there wasn't something in one's passport or some other form of receipt.

This issue was raised a couple of years ago and I got my wife (= our house owner) to go to Immigration and fill in the two forms.

They never put anything in my passport to show this though. I'd better try find the receipt/notice they gave her before my next 90 day report.

Always something new, eh?

• Like 1

You yourself report every 90 days.

Procedure see: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

change address with local immirgation office. By mail send copy of passport.

The house master reports your stay on arrival and can do so at the local police office if there is no immigraiton office in town. He does not report every 90 days that you stay there. Only your arrival.

• Like 1

You yourself report every 90 days.

Procedure see: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

change address with local immirgation office. By mail send copy of passport.

The house master reports your stay on arrival and can do so at the local police office if there is no immigraiton office in town. He does not report every 90 days that you stay there. Only your arrival.

Understood, my reply was to ignis post that one should bring

"Notification Form - For House-Master" copy of Blue house book, copy of house owners i.d. card... always take a copy when visiting Immigration doing the 90 day report......... think it has been asked for 3 times in about 4 years or so"

unless I'm misunderstanding his post he is saying. Not sure what copy he is referring to when he says "take a copy" or really what he is trying to say actually by listing a few things without correct punctuation etc.

My GF is filling out form now and it says we have to comply within 24 hrs.

As I have said I have lived here for 8 yrs and am familiar with the basic immigration procedures such as 90 day reporting so we don't go to far off topic here. Thanks.

This occurred in the Chiang Mai office and I can only speak for my personal experience though nobody else I spoke with had anything in their passport concerning this.

I am going to take care of this today and I'll post what happens.

Sounds like the initial officer was looking for a TM30 receipt for "NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER,OWNER OR POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED." This is not the 90-day report, but it is about the same size.

Never heard of that receipt being kept in a passport, just the routine 90-day report receipt.

In Chiang Mai this report can be made at the office where OP was sent behind the main office building. Mario is no doubt correct that the report can also be made at the local police station.

It is a one-time report. If you move, my understanding is that you have to get that report done again.

post-55418-0-39895200-1415757671_thumb.p

Edited by Mapguy

TM 30 is a requirement for the housemaster, not you, and the hosuemaster keeps the receipt to show he reported.

Of course immigration puts the burden to show the hosuemaster did the reporting on you and tells you to make sure the house master makes the report.

To be clear what I have...........

I have been here full time 11 years last month......... had the house built and moved in over 10 years ago..

I have in my Passport for some years........ 2 yes TWO bits of white paper stapled into Passport from Immigration

1x is notice of 90 day report next due 30 Nov 2014.....

+

1x notice says "Receipt of Notification" and is dated 24 Dec 2013..

On paper I cannot own a house here, so it is a Thai friends name = Blue book I have but not in my name, so need the friends personal i.d copy both signed by my Thai friend [have many copies in the house]

I can only say what I have and do, no idea about other Immigration Offices....

Never took much notice, maybe it is when I get the new yearly Extension? the next 90 day report they want the Notification and Blue book/i.d copies ?? looking on my PC [keep all Passport item in a folder sent from my scanner] notice the last "Receipt of Notification" was dated Sept 2012

rolleyes.gif I think your confusing two different things here.

One is the standard 90 day reporting, which needs to be done if you stay here for 90 days or longer each time you are in Thailand for a 90 day period without leaving the country.

The other is the requirement to report your living in Thailand if you are living with a Thai in their household. You are supposed to do this within 24 hours of your arrival at that household.

Or more precisely the house owner is supposed to report you as living with them..

This is an old law, and frankly often just ignored.

As a tourist who might live in a hotel or guesthouse they would report you staying there as you checked in, so most tourists don't even realize they are being reported.

That is why when you check in the hotel or guesthouse photo copies your passport photo page.

When I moved in with my Thai girlfriend she tried for 6 months to find someone to report that I was living there to.

Nobody (here in Bangkok) was interested, so eventually she just let it go.

I lived there for over 2 years before I moved out, and no one ever asked about it.

But the law is still there, and supposedly it can be enforced.

When I did my last 90 day report at my Immigration Office (Kanchanaburi)in October they handed me these two forms that are supposed to be completed by the "housemaster" which I must admit , I had never seen before and asked me to bring the completed forms with me when I do my next 1 year extension due by 2nd Dec.

So it seems that for those of us living in the Kanchanaburi area nobody is going to get a rap on the knuckles for this not being done before.

Right, so Tim Sharkey wanders around Pattaya intimidating people, marches into the police station demanding money and gold in full view of the media, and Immigration claim they have trouble keeping tabs on foreign criminals ? Please, give me a freaking break here.

I dont know about anywhere else, but the 90-day thing is little more than a formality at Jomtien - the guy who accepted my form couldnt have looked less interested if he was being paid to do so.

Right, so Tim Sharkey wanders around Pattaya intimidating people, marches into the police station demanding money and gold in full view of the media, and Immigration claim they have trouble keeping tabs on foreign criminals ? Please, give me a freaking break here.

I dont know about anywhere else, but the 90-day thing is little more than a formality at Jomtien - the guy who accepted my form couldnt have looked less interested if he was being paid to do so.

yes it is very strange. Immigration in other countries is to control the entry of foriegners. If they are breaking laws then it becomes a matter for the police to enforce and arrest not immigration......either Thai immigration are overstepping their authority or Thailand just has everything ass backwards.

My guess is they have no clue who is entering this country they need multiple chances because they can't do their job correctly the first time.

Edited by Time Traveller

yes it is very strange. Immigration in other countries is to control the entry of foriegners. If they are breaking laws then it becomes a matter for the police to enforce and arrest not immigration......either Thai immigration are overstepping their authority or Thailand just has everything ass backwards.

At the present time the immigration bureau is part of the Royal Thai police. There are plans to have it become a separate authority, but that has not happened yet. In any case when it comes to foreigners, immigration officers have pretty much the same powers as police officers.

My guess is they have no clue who is entering this country they need multiple chances because they can't do their job correctly the first time.

I don't think so. Actually Thai police arrests many wanted foreigners, either at the border or in country. I think that Thai police and immigration know a lot more about who is in their territory compared to other countries, even if it doesn't seem evident.

Nothing new, 90 day reporting is required if you stay 90 days in a row in Thailand.

The reporting by the housemaster is often only required for hotels, guesthouses, appartment complexes and such. But now increasingly also enforced for normal hosues at some locations.

I live in Chiang Mai and the last 2 x 90 days reports I was asked for a LETTER IN THAI from the person I live with which is my partner. No form, just a letter so YES it is being requested now whereas last year no one cared

Follow up: My girlfriend brought the filled out form to the Office of Investigating Division of the Immigration Police and payed a 800 bht fine for non-compliance.

They attached a "Receipt Of Notification" into the last page of my passport.

She was told it was her responsibility that if I leave the country or am out of the province for more then a 7 days she has to report it to them, which can be done by internet but if that doesn't work she must go into the Immigration Office, when I return if I am going to live at the same residence. If I move then it is of the responsibility of my new landlord. Compliance required within 24 hrs.

My girlfriend was also asked to inform anyone she knows.

I was given an English language brochure in which there is listed lots of other requirements such as if one travels to another province for more then 24 hrs one must report to that local police station with-in 48 hrs (which is a little non-sensical to me).

These requirements are for aliens who have received temporary entry permit into the Kingdom.

I am sharing my personal experience for the benefit of anyone whom might be interested. I cannot speak for or of other's and am not interested in arguing about or defending this post but will be happy to answer any intelligent questions or concerns of others.

JC

Follow up: My girlfriend brought the filled out form to the Office of Investigating Division of the Immigration Police and payed a 800 bht fine for non-compliance.

They attached a "Receipt Of Notification" into the last page of my passport.

She was told it was her responsibility that if I leave the country or am out of the province for more then a 7 days she has to report it to them, which can be done by internet but if that doesn't work she must go into the Immigration Office, when I return if I am going to live at the same residence. If I move then it is of the responsibility of my new landlord. Compliance required within 24 hrs.

I was given an English language brochure in which there is listed lots of other requirements such as if one travels to another province for more then 24 hrs one must report to that local police station with-in 48 hrs (which is a little non-sensical to me).

These requirements are for aliens who have received temporary entry permit into the Kingdom.

I am sharing my personal experience for the benefit of anyone whom might be interested. I cannot speak for or of other's and am not interested in arguing about or defending this post but will be happy to answer any intelligent questions or concerns of others.

JC

This is insane....if you are leaving the province for 24hours report to police station...report at immigration if you leave the province for more then 7 days...<deleted>...who is allowing these laws?! Are you a prisoners if you are living here as expat? I really want to know what the officer at a police station will tell me if I come to report myself that I entered his province.

This is insane....if you are leaving the province for 24hours report to police station...report at immigration if you leave the province for more then 7 days...<deleted>...who is allowing these laws?! Are you a prisoners if you are living here as expat? I really want to know what the officer at a police station will tell me if I come to report myself that I entered his province.

Relax, whatever these regulations say, nobody enforces them. Thai police has much more common sense than the average nitpicker foreign forumite here,

Basically, an 800 Bt shakedown. did she got a receipt for that ?>

Would you post a picture of it? Where it happened ?

This is insane....if you are leaving the province for 24hours report to police station...report at immigration if you leave the province for more then 7 days......who is allowing these laws?! Are you a prisoners if you are living here as expat? I really want to know what the officer at a police station will tell me if I come to report myself that I entered his province.

Relax, whatever these regulations say, nobody enforces them. Thai police has much more common sense than the average nitpicker foreign forumite here,

Yes right now. But they can always grab you by the balls if they want to.