safety in cars made in thailand secondary concern

Evolare

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could you please let me know how to modify a Mitsu Strada L 200 with two airbags?

Trade it in on a new one whistling.gif

Sorry that is silly.

The New Triton Plus has NO ABS and NO Airbags, even the top model has ABS but only driver Airbag

My benz sclass has all ! but not sure it is made in thailand though :-)

Mercedes has been building passenger cars in Thailand since 1979. Much of the Mercedes-Benz lineup has been built here, from the A-class to the C, E, and S-classes.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Thailand#Mercedes-Benz

Edited by BradinAsia

You went to that expense to sell them on w00t.gif , when it would not make any difference to the sale value.........?

Maybe the OP is a non capitalist Trans, I think it is wrong to force people to wear seat belts, as they have cost a lot of lives through people getting trapped.

I will admit that seat belts do save lots of lives, but people should be given a choice whether to wear them or not.

You went to that expense to sell them on w00t.gif , when it would not make any difference to the sale value.........?

Maybe the OP is a non capitalist Trans, I think it is wrong to force people to wear seat belts, as they have cost a lot of lives through people getting trapped.

I will admit that seat belts do save lots of lives, but people should be given a choice whether to wear them or not.

Sure, also make it a choice to wear helmets on motorbikes, carry as many people as you can fit on a motorbike, choose which side of the road you want to drive etc. Oh, wait a minute, they already have those choices in Thailand, and look at how low the death toll is here..

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Sure, make it a choice to wear helmets on motorbikes, carry as many people as you can fit on a motorbike, choose which side of the road you want to drive etc. Oh, wait a minute, they already have those choices in Thailand.

I cannot disagree with what you say, but I should have mentioned that my post was not specific to Thailand.

Sure, make it a choice to wear helmets on motorbikes, carry as many people as you can fit on a motorbike, choose which side of the road you want to drive etc. Oh, wait a minute, they already have those choices in Thailand.

I cannot disagree with what you say, but I should have mentioned that my post was not specific to Thailand.

Do you really believe that the death toll would be lower in countries where you have to wear a seat belt, if people were given the choice? Or are you suggesting that people have the right to kill themselves by exiting through a windscreen at a high rate of speed?

• Like 1

If every car had ABS and Airbags, it still wouldn't make much of an impact on the road death stats, as around 85% of them are motorcycles.

Are you kidding? Are you saying don't bother having air bags 'cos only a 'few' lives will be saved?

Get back under your rock!

You retro-fitted airbag systems into secondhand non-airbag vehicles? Really?

Sure must have been expensive, what with slip rings, sensors, solenoid valves for each wheel, computer for ABS, different computer for engine management, new brake lines, airbag triggers, new steering wheel, new dash to accommodate passenger side airbag, ...

How ever did you get your money back ?

Never, all of this would cost more than the cars are worth,must be a very rich car dealer/sales man to give the people an unwanted present like that. clap2.gif

Which new car in Thailand does not have ABS or an airbag?

I looked at the bottom end Mitsubishi Mirage a few months ago - very bacis device. No airbags. No ABS.

I'm surprised they don't take out the seat belts , I'm sure they could save a few hundred baht there as well.

Edited by giddyup

I dont like ABS, it increases ones breaking distance.O.K for Novice Drivers.

You've got to be kidding. Have you done some back to back testing? I don't think so, because if you had you would not make that fatuous statement! Locked wheels don't stop a vehicle as quickly as wheels still turning just braked to just before skidding.

ABS is especially important on wet roads and dirt roads.

No Giddyup, I don't believe that at all, but I know of a case back in Scotland, where a guy in his car not wearing a seatbelt, was able to throw himself on to the front passenger seat to avoid an object about to crash through his windscreen.

If he had worn his seat belt, he would have been killed instantly, and there was the police woman whose car plunged of the pier in England, and she drowned because she could not get out of the car because she was wearing a seat belt.

You've got to be kidding. Have you done some back to back testing? I don't think so, because if you had you would not make that fatuous statement! Locked wheels don't stop a vehicle as quickly as wheels still turning just braked to just before skidding.

Didn't you know, AOP is the famous "Stig" on Top Gear, he don't need no stinkin' ABS or any other kind of safety device. He's a legend.

• Like 1

No Giddyup, I don't believe that at all, but I know of a case back in Scotland, where a guy in his car not wearing a seatbelt, was able to throw himself on to the front passenger seat to avoid an object about to crash through his windscreen.

If he had worn his seat belt, he would have been killed instantly, and there was the police woman whose car plunged of the pier in England, and she drowned because she could not get out of the car because she was wearing a seat belt.

Two examples out of the hundreds of thousand of lives that have actually been saved by seatbelts (I'm one of them) and you want to give people the choice? Hmm.

I tried to get details of a Suzuki hatch back, but it was all in Thai. So I read up on the same model in Australia.

Decided to get one here, paid the same amount of money as in Australia, and then discovered that the Thai version has only one air bag, not seven as the Oz one has.

It has no heater: not always needed here, but on a cold and rainy night and 4 people in the car, it's needed, if only to keep the windscreen demisted.

I don't know if ABS is fitted or not, but it's obvious that Suzuki and others don't have to have air bags, so they're not included. The model below mine has NO air bags at all.

The manual was in Thai, and I had to buy one from overseas.

I tried to get details of a Suzuki hatch back, but it was all in Thai. So I read up on the same model in Australia.

Decided to get one here, paid the same amount of money as in Australia, and then discovered that the Thai version has only one air bag, not seven as the Oz one has.

It has no heater: not always needed here, but on a cold and rainy night and 4 people in the car, it's needed, if only to keep the windscreen demisted.

I don't know if ABS is fitted or not, but it's obvious that Suzuki and others don't have to have air bags, so they're not included. The model below mine has NO air bags at all.

IMO the only vehicles that offer value for money in Thailand are pickups that are made here, but even then the same model in Australia has far more safety features, albeit at a much higher price. BTW, turning your aircon on high and directing it at your windscreen will clear it a lot faster than hot air.

Didn't you know, AOP is the famous "Stig" on Top Gear, he don't need no stinkin' ABS or any other kind of safety device. He's a legend.

Nice to see Giddy post some correct facts at last.cheesy.gif

Nice to see Giddy post some correct facts at last.cheesy.gif

Oops, should have added, he's a legend in his own lunchtime.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

One absolute act of stupidity I recently was involved with . Hired a nearly new 12 seater Toyota Minibus. Despite being illegal there was only one seat belt, and that was for the driver. (Yes he did wear it at all times). "Why no seat belts for the Passengers" I asked? "The boss removed them as Thais do not wear them, he will replace them in their original new condition when he sells the buss". Thai logic or sense?

Locked Rubber on Dry Road tends to stop faster than On n Off. FACT. B heard. Thats why F1 dont use em.

F1 used to allow ABS but it was banned as it was considered as It was classified as an electronic driver aid, preventing the wheels from locking up and eliminating the driver's skill from the process of braking.

• Like 1

You are back to Top model again, the GLX has 2 airbags and ABS, rear window defogger, Auto climate control air condition..... for the same price you can buy a Chevy Sonic with non of this..

No idea what model Swift, as all have ABS, the lower models GA and GL have only driver airbag NO rear window defogger and NO Auto climate control air condition

In my view spending an extra 50,000 baht for these + other items in the Top GLX model is well worth it.

Edited by ignis

Locked Rubber on Dry Road tends to stop faster than On n Off. FACT. B heard. Thats why F1 dont use em.

F1 used to allow ABS but it was banned as it was considered as It was classified as an electronic driver aid, preventing the wheels from locking up and eliminating the driver's skill from the process of braking.

Could be it gave a crap driver a safety margin is a more likely reason.No one complained for once.

You are back to Top model again, the GLX has 2 airbags and ABS, rear window defogger, Auto climate control air condition..... for the same price you can buy a Chevy Sonic with non of this..

No idea what model Swift, as all have ABS, the lower models GA and GL have only driver airbag NO rear window defogger and NO Auto climate control air condition

In my view spending an extra 50,000 baht for these + other items in the Top GLX model is well worth it.

Strange that the Thai-assembled model should cost 50,000 baht more to equal the safety features of the same Swift Australian model.

I would have thought that assembly costs in Australia would be far greater than here in Thailand.

Novice or not, ABS may increase stopping distance slightly, (particularly on unstable surfaces like gravel) but it keeps the steering more effective, which can be pretty useful in a 'brake and avoid' situation. If the wheels lock, there is no directional control, so ABS is still a valuable safety feature.

Two examples out of the hundreds of thousand of lives that have actually been saved by seatbelts (I'm one of them) and you want to give people the choice? Hmm.
It's two that I know about, and you are one I know about who have been saved. I am not against the wearing of seatbelts, and respect you and others who want to wear them. I just think that if I was driving, and someone came out from a side road and I could not avoid hitting them, I would be able to duck down quickly to avoid the steering wheel maybe killing me.

Another thing, how many deaths and injuries are caused by drivers getting hit by the steering wheel into their chest or throat?

Could be it gave a crap driver a safety margin is a more likely reason.No one complained for once.

Yes that is why it was banned. Did you not read what I posted ?