safety in cars made in thailand secondary concern

Evolare

Which new car in Thailand does not have ABS or an airbag?

Lots here [to name them all would be a very long list]......... Cars, Pickups, SUV'S, PPV's...... Most makes and Brand New within the last couple of year Do NOT have ABS and many NO airbags or just one... to have both in a New car you need to buy a top model. Sadly many buy the basic model with No safety at all

Name one then.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then you have to question the price... how can Toyota justify there price ?

Most base models have No Airbags or ABS, other makes that are same size + cost less have both..

Even goes for something like the Altis top model has 2 airbags + ABS, just off hand comes to mind same class size Proton cost over 400,000 baht less and come with ABS, 2 Airbags, curtian Airbags and side airbags [total 10]

Look at another way the top model Preve has 10 Airbags and ABS, or for the same price = base model Altis = NO Airbags or ABS

This is just 2 makes of cars, but same on many Chevy Sonic No Airbags and No ABS for the same price you get a Suzuki Swift with Airbags and ABS and so the list is endless..

What get me Thailand exports many cars and Pickups every model MUST have ABS and Airbags......

In 2005 [cannot remember the extra] and 2008 when I bought a new SLX D-Max, if cost 30,000 baht extra to have the model with ABS and 2 Airbags.... that is NOT a huge difference but most save this money as not important and go without,

"...Chevy Sonic No Airbags and No ABS..."

Why do you post such nonsense? Both are standard on all models.

The cheapest, most basic basic Vigo and Vios have airbags also.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Lots here [to name them all would be a very long list]......... Cars, Pickups, SUV'S, PPV's...... Most makes and Brand New within the last couple of year Do NOT have ABS and many NO airbags or just one... to have both in a New car you need to buy a top model. Sadly many buy the basic model with No safety at all

Name one then.

More importantly, why is there only a driver's side airbag installed? The top of the line Mitsu Triton only has the driver's airbag, you can only get passenger airbags on the 4X4. There is no question that safety features aren't high on the agenda with Thai cars and it's only a copout to say that at least there is one airbag.

Edited by giddyup

Many of the vehicles built in Thailand for export have a much higher specification than the "same" models sold here and safety spec is one aspect of that.

I find this both incredible and hard to understand. There certainly isn't any discount for cars made and sold her as opposed to other countries that I'm aware of.

Many of the vehicles built in Thailand for export have a much higher specification than the "same" models sold here and safety spec is one aspect of that.

I find this both incredible and hard to understand. There certainly isn't any discount for cars made and sold her as opposed to other countries that I'm aware of.

Pickups made here are certainly much cheaper than those exported to Australia, but the Australian models have much more in the way of safety features.

No Giddyup, I don't believe that at all, but I know of a case back in Scotland, where a guy in his car not wearing a seatbelt, was able to throw himself on to the front passenger seat to avoid an object about to crash through his windscreen.

If he had worn his seat belt, he would have been killed instantly, and there was the police woman whose car plunged of the pier in England, and she drowned because she could not get out of the car because she was wearing a seat belt.

Two examples out of the hundreds of thousand of lives that have actually been saved by seatbelts (I'm one of them) and you want to give people the choice? Hmm.
It's two that I know about, and you are one I know about who have been saved. I am not against the wearing of seatbelts, and respect you and others who want to wear them. I just think that if I was driving, and someone came out from a side road and I could not avoid hitting them, I would be able to duck down quickly to avoid the steering wheel maybe killing me.

Another thing, how many deaths and injuries are caused by drivers getting hit by the steering wheel into their chest or throat?

That's why cars these days have collapsible steering columns.

• Like 1

Name one then.

Already named at least 3 in other post in this Topic....... But most of the base models.. as already said Chevy Sonic, Toyota Altis, Avanza, most makes of Pickups

It's two that I know about, and you are one I know about who have been saved. I am not against the wearing of seatbelts, and respect you and others who want to wear them. I just think that if I was driving, and someone came out from a side road and I could not avoid hitting them, I would be able to duck down quickly to avoid the steering wheel maybe killing me.

Another thing, how many deaths and injuries are caused by drivers getting hit by the steering wheel into their chest or throat?

You should quit while you're behind. The reason people got killed by steering wheels is because they weren't wearing seatbelts, and do you really think you'd have time to react by lying down on the seat if someone came fast out of a sidestreet? Accidents aren't in slow motion, they happen so fast that normally you don't have any options at all. I was driving down a suburban street in Australia when a guy travelling in the opposite direction suddenly lost control (driving too fast) and swerved in front of me. No time to duck, say a hail mary, kiss my arse goodbye, nothing. Most crashes happen like that and if you believe otherwise you're delusional.

Yes, accidents can happen in split seconds, you are better qualified to give an opinion on this debate than I am, as I have never been involved in an accident either here or back in Scotland. It has been a good debate with you, and I can see why you think it should be compulsory to wear seatbelts, and I believe that most posters would side with you. I just believe that wearing seatbelts have cost lives, and therefore should not be compulsary. We will just have to agree to differ on this.

Remember too that this is also a case of manufacturers deliberately skimping on safety features available elsewhere - because they can! - Courtesy of the Thai govt - they could of course take the high moral ground (a la Volvo) and insist on fitting every vehicle to full safety spec, regardless of what the law says......

• Like 1

I dont like ABS, it increases ones breaking distance.O.K for Novice Drivers.

Where did you get that information from? ABS gives you better and more controlled braking. Longer distances? Not been my experience at all and besides anything is better when talking about the Thai's inability to drive a car or truck as if they really were either; they drive cars like they were motor bikes and trucks like they were cars!

No Giddyup, I don't believe that at all, but I know of a case back in Scotland, where a guy in his car not wearing a seatbelt, was able to throw himself on to the front passenger seat to avoid an object about to crash through his windscreen.

If he had worn his seat belt, he would have been killed instantly, and there was the police woman whose car plunged of the pier in England, and she drowned because she could not get out of the car because she was wearing a seat belt.

Two examples out of the hundreds of thousand of lives that have actually been saved by seatbelts (I'm one of them) and you want to give people the choice? Hmm.

I had the equivalent of a 120klm front end collision, I never touched the steering wheel because my seatbelt pulled me up. I was a bit black and blue for a few days, but that was preferable than nosediving out through the windscreen onto the bitumen.

• Like 1

My benz sclass has all ! but not sure it is made in thailand though :-)

Tell me prey where did you buy your "Benz" ?

The last Benz was made in 1923. The fact that, like Americans, Thais can not spell Mercedes Benz is the only reason they think they are driving a vehicle manufactured by a company that no longer exists. If you did actually own an S class here, which I doubt, you would know if it was a CBU or a CKD vehicle which in an event neither are manufactured in Thailand, only assembled with respect to the latter

Edited by whatawonderfulday
  • Like 1

Let us not forget that many cars and pick ups do not have a heater! This is not really an issue except when it comes to defogging the windscreen at certain times thereby causing a real safety issue!

You should quit while you're behind. The reason people got killed by steering wheels is because they weren't wearing seatbelts, and do you really think you'd have time to react by lying down on the seat if someone came fast out of a sidestreet? Accidents aren't in slow motion, they happen so fast that normally you don't have any options at all. I was driving down a suburban street in Australia when a guy travelling in the opposite direction suddenly lost control (driving too fast) and swerved in front of me. No time to duck, say a hail mary, kiss my arse goodbye, nothing. Most crashes happen like that and if you believe otherwise you're delusional.

Yes, accidents can happen in split seconds, you are better qualified to give an opinion on this debate than I am, as I have never been involved in an accident either here or back in Scotland. It has been a good debate with you, and I can see why you think it should be compulsory to wear seatbelts, and I believe that most posters would side with you. I just believe that wearing seatbelts have cost lives, and therefore should not be compulsary. We will just have to agree to differ on this.

I just hope you never have a serious accident and have to put your theory to the test.

• Like 1

Good answer Soi Biker, my car is thirty years old and probably does not have a collapsible steering column.

Name one then.

More importantly, why is there only a driver's side airbag installed? The top of the line Mitsu Triton only has the driver's airbag, you can only get passenger airbags on the 4X4. There is no question that safety features aren't high on the agenda with Thai cars and it's only a copout to say that at least there is one airbag.

"...it's only a copout to say that at least there is one airbag."

No it's not, some people are saying that these features are unavailable when in fact they are. I'm not talking about the number of airbags.

Edited by Sviss Geez

You went to that expense to sell them on w00t.gif , when it would not make any difference to the sale value.........?

Maybe the OP is a non capitalist Trans, I think it is wrong to force people to wear seat belts, as they have cost a lot of lives through people getting trapped.

I will admit that seat belts do save lots of lives, but people should be given a choice whether to wear them or not.

Rubbish! That is simply an irresponsible statement that serves no purpose whatsoever except to make you out to be a total boob or someone that is old enough to remember when it was not a law or when cars did not have them.

The fact is that seat belts are to be used by everyone in the car (even those in the back seats), just as infant/child seats should be used (something totally lacking here in LOS!). Not to wear them is putting your own life at risk and those of your passengers. It is the law in other countries and has helped to decrease the number of road fatalities. Your statement of there have "cost a lot of lives" by people "being trapped" is unfounded using all the information out there If.

However, you do not care about your life while driving... then perhaps you should not be driving at all.

• Like 2

You retro-fitted airbag systems into secondhand non-airbag vehicles? Really?

Sure must have been expensive, what with slip rings, sensors, solenoid valves for each wheel, computer for ABS, different computer for engine management, new brake lines, airbag triggers, new steering wheel, new dash to accommodate passenger side airbag, ...

How ever did you get your money back ?

I'm pretty sure the OP thinks it's April 1st and the laugh is on us...

Let us not forget that many cars and pick ups do not have a heater! This is not really an issue except when it comes to defogging the windscreen at certain times thereby causing a real safety issue!

I was given a tip by a friend many years ago, he said put your aircon on high and only use the vents that are directed at the windscreen, cold air will clear the windscreen faster than hot. Try it, it works.

Name one then.

Already named at least 3 in other post in this Topic....... But most of the base models.. as already said Chevy Sonic, Toyota Altis, Avanza, most makes of Pickups

No you didn't, the models you quoted have airbags and ABS.

"...it's only a copout to say that at least there is one airbag."

No it's not, some people are saying that these features are unavailable when in fact they are. I'm not talking about the number of airbags.

The subject is that safety is secondary to cars made in Thailand, which it clearly is.

You went to that expense to sell them on w00t.gif , when it would not make any difference to the sale value.........?

Maybe the OP is a non capitalist Trans, I think it is wrong to force people to wear seat belts, as they have cost a lot of lives through people getting trapped.

I will admit that seat belts do save lots of lives, but people should be given a choice whether to wear them or not.

Rubbish! That is simply an irresponsible statement that serves no purpose whatsoever except to make you out to be a total boob or someone that is old enough to remember when it was not a law or when cars did not have them.

The fact is that seat belts are to be used by everyone in the car (even those in the back seats), just as infant/child seats should be used (something totally lacking here in LOS!). Not to wear them is putting your own life at risk and those of your passengers. It is the law in other countries and has helped to decrease the number of road fatalities. Your statement of there have "cost a lot of lives" by people "being trapped" is unfounded using all the information out there If.

However, you do not care about your life while driving... then perhaps you should not be driving at all.

Your the one who is rubbish, being nasty because someone does not have the same opinion as yourself, forum rules does not allow me to flame anyone, so I want this ended now.