safety in cars made in thailand secondary concern

Evolare

It's some way off but I have read that there are plans to scale these up to commercial airliners.

It would certainly be fun to see the first test.

Maybe Human Teleportation will be here by then ?

will be no need for planes, or cars or any type of wheeled transport for that matter

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do Airplanes only have Seatbelts,no ABS or Air-bags i wonder.? ABS would save planes going off the end of the runway, according to some posters.coffee1.gif .

Ace what size airbag would you recommend when nosediving into the ground from 30,000 feet? wink.png

Same size as nosediving from 1000 feet. Won't make any difference....

Like [stand up comedian] Billy Connolly said: "Last night a DC-10 smacked into a mountain in Peru. Luckily everyone was wearing seat belts."

But seriously, commercial aircraft do have a system called Anti-Skid. It's kind of like ABS, but more. An if it is Inoperative there is a severe penalty in field length required for takeoff and landing without it.

Airbags on the other hand are a different story. Cost, weight, and complexity of installation and operation are some of the concerns. No matter how safety conscious airlines say they are, no one wants to be the first to bear the cost. It will have to be introduced by the civil aviation authority.

Back to cars now.

Let us not forget that many cars and pick ups do not have a heater! This is not really an issue except when it comes to defogging the windscreen at certain times thereby causing a real safety issue!

I was given a tip by a friend many years ago, he said put your aircon on high and only use the vents that are directed at the windscreen, cold air will clear the windscreen faster than hot. Try it, it works.

It's not the cold air. It's the fact that the A/C knocks the humidity out of the air by lowering the temp. For best defogging results, turn on the A/C and set the heater temp as high as it will go.

I thought we were talking about cars that didn't have heaters?

Why do Airplanes only have Seatbelts,no ABS or Air-bags i wonder.? ABS would save planes going off the end of the runway, according to some posters.coffee1.gif .

Aircraft have had anti skid braking for the last 50 plus years. First generation of anti skid was mechanical - a small inertia flywheel that sensed wheel lock and closed off the brake pressure momentarily. Then electronic anti skid was introduced, same principle as car.

Some airlines business class have the seats at about 30 deg angle to aircraft centreline. Because of this, the seat belt also has a diagonal shouder-to-lap belt. This belt has an integral airbag.

All commercial airplanes have ABS - it was originally invented for planes!...and several airlines have airbags fitted too.

Ace - you seem a little out of touch on this thread?

Edited by wilcopops

All commercial airplanes have ABS - it was originally invented for planes!...and several airlines have airbags fitted too.

Ace - you seem a little out of touch on this thread?

Forgive him, he saw the wrong brothers first attempt to fly...wasn't pretty. So bad was it they changed their names to Wright shortly thereafter...true story I understand.

• Like 1

It's not the cold air. It's the fact that the A/C knocks the humidity out of the air by lowering the temp. For best defogging results, turn on the A/C and set the heater temp as high as it will go.

Then the heater temp is always set as high as it goes...nowhere. Advice still stands.

Edited by impulse

Then the heater temp is always set as high as it goes...nowhere. Advice still stands.

So, a non-existent heater is set to "nowhere"? Sorry, you've lost me. All I know is, if you direct the vents to windscreen, turn the aircon fan on full, the windscreen will clear in seconds, even when the temp is cold.

Edited by giddyup

O.K, but it seems they dont work too good looking at the Burnt Rubber on all runways.thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

I suspect you already know the answer to this one, but I will reply anyway for the benefit of the others.

That "Burnt Rubber" is from the touchdown when the wheel is not spinning yet. During a normal landing on a dry runway the tire accelerates 0-250kph in a fraction of a second. Naturally this lays a little rubber... It is the main cause of aircraft tire wear.

The circular marks at the end of the runway are from pilots taking a turn too fast. This happens quite easily as only a small fraction of aircraft weight is on the nose wheel. The pilot needs to momentarily apply brakes to shift weight forward when initiating a turn to avoid skidding at higher taxi speeds. The same applies to coming out of a turn but to a lesser degree.

O.K, but it seems they dont work too good looking at the Burnt Rubber on all runways.thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif[/quoteToday, 19:50]

Today, 19:50

Oh really! How daft can you get? The burned rubber occurs when the plane first lands...surely at some point in your life you've watched a plane land? Those huge tires experience a lot of force when they hit the tarmac...

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Coming from a Catholic Country i was Given a St Christopher, believed it at 7 Y.O. i got run over on the way to get My Hair Cut so i learned from that Long Hair safer than Mumbo Jumbo...Thais believe in superstition so that plus Western Safety Gizmo's make them even more deluded..just saying, it crossed my mind..thumbsup.gif

Coming from a Catholic Country i was Given a St Christopher, believed it at 7 Y.O. i got run over on the way to get My Hair Cut so i learned from that Long Hair safer than Mumbo Jumbo...Thais believe in superstition so that plus Western Safety Gizmo's make them even more deluded..just saying, it crossed my mind..thumbsup.gif

Didn't know St. Christopher was a Catholic thingy, I bought one with my pocket money when I was about 10 years old because it was to keep you safe on your journey and then I found out later the Pope sack him or something like that.blink.png

Don't lose traction then learn to drive

ABS is right in a way for some of those who rely on it and it is OK to a point but there are problems in certain conditions when an experienced driver could do without it, I've been there and didn't like the absents of no lock up, I guess I am just old school and pass by sell by date.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1