safety in cars made in thailand secondary concern

Evolare

"...it's only a copout to say that at least there is one airbag."

No it's not, some people are saying that these features are unavailable when in fact they are. I'm not talking about the number of airbags.

The subject is that safety is secondary to cars made in Thailand, which it clearly is.

Safety is secondary to cars sold in Thailand, where they were/are made is not important. People simply don't want to pay for safety features and they are not compulsory.

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then you have to question the price... how can Toyota justify there price ?

Most base models have No Airbags or ABS, other makes that are same size + cost less have both..

Even goes for something like the Altis top model has 2 airbags + ABS, just off hand comes to mind same class size Proton cost over 400,000 baht less and come with ABS, 2 Airbags, curtian Airbags and side airbags [total 10]

Look at another way the top model Preve has 10 Airbags and ABS, or for the same price = base model Altis = NO Airbags or ABS

This is just 2 makes of cars, but same on many Chevy Sonic No Airbags and No ABS for the same price you get a Suzuki Swift with Airbags and ABS and so the list is endless..

What get me Thailand exports many cars and Pickups every model MUST have ABS and Airbags......

In 2005 [cannot remember the extra] and 2008 when I bought a new SLX D-Max, if cost 30,000 baht extra to have the model with ABS and 2 Airbags.... that is NOT a huge difference but most save this money as not important and go without,

"...Chevy Sonic No Airbags and No ABS..."

Why do you post such nonsense? Both are standard on all models.

The cheapest, most basic basic Vigo and Vios have airbags also.

Just to be sure have walked up the Village 4 houses away, he is a Sales Manager at Chevrolet Thailand...

He says the 1.4 L and some 1.4 LS do NOT have ABS or Airbags, the car he is using at the moment is a LS he let me look at the steering wheel looks the same as the LT but does NOT say Airbag on it as the LT does.. anyway what do I know

So maybe the Chevy Sales Manager is also talking Nonsense ??

I do know when I looked at the Sonic Hatchback when they 1st came on sale, the base model did not have any Airbag or ABS + oddly there was NO seatbelts in the rear

A Thai friend has a Toyota Altis 2013 'J' model it 100% has Not got Airbags or ABS

Edit: As a PS my older Audi A6 has Airbags and ABS, the Mazda Hi Racer+ has ABS but NO airbags

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Cars are made so that people can afford them. I remember about 7 years ago asking in a demonstration of new cars how much airbags were only to see the salesman become very confused/angry. I asked him what he was upset about and he said no one had ever asked him that and why would you pay a lot of money for something you might never use. He does have a point, the chances of using them are low so in the majority of cases it is a waste of money.

You went to that expense to sell them on w00t.gif , when it would not make any difference to the sale value.........?

Maybe the OP is a non capitalist Trans, I think it is wrong to force people to wear seat belts, as they have cost a lot of lives through people getting trapped.

I will admit that seat belts do save lots of lives, but people should be given a choice whether to wear them or not.

Rubbish! That is simply an irresponsible statement that serves no purpose whatsoever except to make you out to be a total boob or someone that is old enough to remember when it was not a law or when cars did not have them.

The fact is that seat belts are to be used by everyone in the car (even those in the back seats), just as infant/child seats should be used (something totally lacking here in LOS!). Not to wear them is putting your own life at risk and those of your passengers. It is the law in other countries and has helped to decrease the number of road fatalities. Your statement of there have "cost a lot of lives" by people "being trapped" is unfounded using all the information out there If.

However, you do not care about your life while driving... then perhaps you should not be driving at all.

Your the one who is rubbish, being nasty because someone does not have the same opinion as yourself, forum rules does not allow me to flame anyone, so I want this ended now.

If you are going to make irresponsible unfounded comments expect to get called out on them, so don't get upset when someone does.

• Like 1

Cars are made so that people can afford them. I remember about 7 years ago asking in a demonstration of new cars how much airbags were only to see the salesman become very confused/angry. I asked him what he was upset about and he said no one had ever asked him that and why would you pay a lot of money for something you might never use. He does have a point, the chances of using them are low so in the majority of cases it is a waste of money.

There are so many features on new cars as compared to years ago. The first new car my father bought didn't even have a radio and only rubber floor mats, today we expect electric windows, mirrors, aircon, sound system, sat nav, ABS, all as standard equipment. So it is with airbags, I reneged on buying a new Triton after I found out there was only a driver's side airbag, I couldn't get past an image of me surviving a very bad accident, thanks to my airbag, whereas my passenger did not.

• Like 2

Anyways, has Evolare come back to tell us how much it cost to have airbags retro-fitted to an Izuzu pick-up? DIY or workshop install.. be interesting to know.

I think he superglued a couple of whoopee cushions to the steering wheel and passenger side dash.

I never object when people disagree with me,I would have thought you would have found that out, what I do object to is keyboard warriors saying nasty things to me that they would not dare say to my face. Can't you understand that after our debate?

This topic is getting a bit like I bet I can piss further then you can regarding cars with/without airbags.

As anyone should know who has lived here for any period of time, airbags, ABS, stability control or any other form of device is not required and really unnecessary.

Take a look around at the stuff most Thais have in their cars. It is an established fact that an amulet stuck to the dashboard will protect the driver and passengers in the event of anything happening. Why if you have half a dozen of them you can even drive without any safety worries whilst also looking at the onboard TV, simultaneously talking on the phone whilst ramming an inhaler up the nose with the other hand.

If you have countless number of them, together with other paraphernalia ( ideally obscuring your vision) you are absolutely invincible. Hence all safety devices are superfluous to requirements for most Thais.

We falang aren't as trusting on images of deities to save us in a bad accident. I do have a hula dancer on the dash, does that count?

This topic is getting a bit like I bet I can piss further then you can regarding cars with/without airbags.

As anyone should know who has lived here for any period of time, airbags, ABS, stability control or any other form of device is not required and really unnecessary.

Take a look around at the stuff most Thais have in their cars. It is an established fact that an amulet stuck to the dashboard will protect the driver and passengers in the event of anything happening. Why if you have half a dozen of them you can even drive without any safety worries whilst also looking at the onboard TV, simultaneously talking on the phone whilst ramming an inhaler up the nose with the other hand.

If you have countless number of them, together with other paraphernalia ( ideally obscuring your vision) you are absolutely invincible. Hence all safety devices are superfluous to requirements for most Thais.

We falang aren't as trusting on images of deities to save us in a bad accident. I do have a hula dancer on the dash, does that count?

Not sure about that. Maybe get a few more as insurance

I dont like ABS, it increases ones breaking distance.O.K for Novice Drivers.

It also prevents skidding on wet roads, or one wheel in the gravel and the others on the tarmac. Hardly just for the novice.
It enables a Novice Driver to Steer whilst panicking nothing more.Wet Road distance increased in st line emergecy.
Yeah, well not every licenced driver does an advanced driving course, but if it bothers you so much have it disconnected.

Are you kidding me? Thais doing advanced driving courses? Do you mean that they get more education other than starting the engine?

Are vehicles made in Thailand subject to the ASEAN NCAP tests? Are the results of these tests widely available and publicised by manufacturers in Thailand. These could be instrumental in changing perception about safety

Safety and awareness of safety are factors that are developed over time and will not be achieved overnight. I can still remember my grandfather's frustration at having to put on what he called "straps" and my primary school headmaster being convicted for drunken driving when he could not spell H O U S E as there was no such thing as a breathalyser. That was 50+ years ago. The advantage that Thailand has that it will advance down this learning path for more quickly than the Europeans as they can learn from others.

Also most of the comments have laid the blame for lower safety standards on Thai consumers. Both the government and the manufacturers have a role to play to set standards and educate the consumer

As Farangs we have the choice whether to buy the base models without all the safety features or buy higher spec or imported models with them. I am going for the latter course

• Like 1

You retro-fitted airbag systems into secondhand non-airbag vehicles? Really?

Sure must have been expensive, what with slip rings, sensors, solenoid valves for each wheel, computer for ABS, different computer for engine management, new brake lines, airbag triggers, new steering wheel, new dash to accommodate passenger side airbag, ...

How ever did you get your money back ?

Do I detect a little scepticism there? But well written.

It also prevents skidding on wet roads, or one wheel in the gravel and the others on the tarmac. Hardly just for the novice.

It enables a Novice Driver to Steer whilst panicking nothing more.Wet Road distance increased in st line emergecy.

Rubbish, do you honestly believe that?

Rubbish, do you honestly believe that?

Try a Google on the subject.

Life is cheap in SE Asia so why would a business include safety devices that are not wanted in the first place - its all about price and profit.

IMHO there is now way you could economically retro fit airbags and ABS

You retro-fitted airbag systems into secondhand non-airbag vehicles? Really?

Sure must have been expensive, what with slip rings, sensors, solenoid valves for each wheel, computer for ABS, different computer for engine management, new brake lines, airbag triggers, new steering wheel, new dash to accommodate passenger side airbag, ...

How ever did you get your money back ?

Do I detect a little scepticism there? But well written.

More than a little !

A bit off the OP's topic ...

One solution I would endorse - not that I have a say - is if the driver or passenger of a motor vehicle does not wear their seatbelt, and is injured in an accident, the health care services should bill them for services rendered, whether they are insured or not. The insurance company should refuse claims in this instance.

A driver who allows passengers to ride in his vehicle, which is not equipped with seatbelts, should be held responsible for any damages suffered by said passengers.

Publish a few cases on the evening news, with the hospital bills, and people might change their minds.

Then, if you so choose - up to you.

Not that this would ever work.

• Like 1

5 pages and our resident airbag installer OP hasn't been back with details on how he managed to add the airbags to a standard vehicle. It's not enough to put them in, they've got to deploy right too. But maybe he's from Sweden and works at Volvo R&D.... whistling.gif

Also, it seems like they've deleted my "Dislike This" button for all those comments about not wearing seat belts for fear of getting trapped or not being able to duck to the side (Is the imprint of the radio buttons on your visage that much cooler than the one caused by the windshield?), or in hopes of being thrown clear of a rolling vehicle, etc. Those cases are one in a million, and so are we, but I would not take my chances on it. And if I did, I would not dare to represent my "seat belt paranoia" as a realistic and viable option to others. Having experienced a few accidents [with and without seat belts], I've got no illusions about ones ability to 'control' anything past start of an impact.

I've also tried a seat belt rig at an auto expo from 20km/h to an instant full stop. You will absolutely not be able stay in your seat without seat belts. Also, while the steering wheel on the rig was made flexible, I'm sure trying to stop yourself by holding the steering wheel at speeds any higher than that would simply turn your thumbs backwards. Take a note again of the speed I'm talking about....

• Like 1

5 pages and our resident airbag installer OP hasn't been back with details on how he managed to add the airbags to a standard vehicle. It's not enough to put them in, they've got to deploy right too. But maybe he's from Sweden and works at Volvo R&D.... whistling.gif

Also, it seems like they've deleted my "Dislike This" button for all those comments about not wearing seat belts for fear of getting trapped or not being able to duck to the side (Is the imprint of the radio buttons on your visage that much cooler than the one caused by the windshield?), or in hopes of being thrown clear of a rolling vehicle, etc. Those cases are one in a million, and so are we, but I would not take my chances on it. And if I did, I would not dare to represent my "seat belt paranoia" as a realistic and viable option to others. Having experienced a few accidents [with and without seat belts], I've got no illusions about ones ability to 'control' anything past start of an impact.

I've also tried a seat belt rig at an auto expo from 20km/h to an instant full stop. You will absolutely not be able stay in your seat without seat belts. Also, while the steering wheel on the rig was made flexible, I'm sure trying to stop yourself by holding the steering wheel at speeds any higher than that would simply turn your thumbs backwards. Take a note again of the speed I'm talking about....

The comments from the person who suggested throwing himself to the side in the event of an accident (split second reflexes) is a bit like jumping into the air a second before the plummeting lift hits the ground.

I guess that's an option. If you want to impale yourself on the gear shift.

• Like 1