I Have an Idea about a Business I've Yet to See in Thailand

jimmym40

Now that I have your attention. This is not for me, but I wish there was such an enterprise. Does anyone know if there are any "dog catchers" in Thailand. I mean a means to which you can call and have someone come to your location and pick up stray dogs/animals. Ones that roam the streets/soi's. Are there any animal shelters that would do this deed?

• Like 1

I believe the Amphurs have dog catchers. Contact the local offices I would guess.

The solution as to what is done with them is likely the final solution.

Confirmed.... I remember some 20 years ago on Samui, there were really lots of strays everywhere.

One day, some official looking geezers killed them with poisoned arrows, fired from air rifles. I saw a truck, full of dead dogs, taking them to...... god knows where they took them.

That was very cruel and so sad to see. Hope it will never happen again. They are just poor animals with no rights whatsoever.

• Like 2

I will guarantee you one thing, if you start such a business, and it makes money, 35 Thais will copy you. All will be peaceful, the sois will be bereft of dogs....until they find out there is no money in it.

I think apart from "you need a work permit"....this has to be number 2 in the most boring out of touch answer by someone who knows sweet f.a. About business here.

And yet still someone "likes" it!

To my knowledge there are no dog-catching businesses here. But there are several organizations/foundations who are active in spay/neuter-release programs, which have time and again been shown far more effective than catch-and-dump or catch-and-kill efforts.
Maybe join up with them in case you or anyone find the dogs in the soi annoying.

• Like 1

In the past, the Royal Thai army have fulfilled this role, in one of their more useful functions. They used to round up the mutts , take them out of town and let the recruits have target practice on them. If you think CM has a dog problem now, you should've seen it 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I believe the Amphurs have dog catchers. Contact the local offices I would guess.

Confirmed.... I remember some 20 years ago on Samui, there were really lots of strays everywhere.

One day, some official looking geezers killed them with poisoned arrows, fired from air rifles. I saw a truck, full of dead dogs, taking them to...... god knows where they took them.

That was very cruel and so sad to see. Hope it will never happen again. They are just poor animals with no rights whatsoever.

Dog pounds in the US do the same thing, they just kill them later.

I will guarantee you one thing, if you start such a business, and it makes money, 35 Thais will copy you. All will be peaceful, the sois will be bereft of dogs....until they find out there is no money in it.

I think apart from "you need a work permit"....this has to be number 2 in the most boring out of touch answer by someone who knows sweet f.a. About business here.

And yet still someone "likes" it!

What on earth are you talking about ?. His point is extremely relevant to someone who might be thinking about starting a business. People need to be aware that Thais will try to copy anything you do : I have direct experience of this and would have been more careful if I had known.

I do agree with the 'you need a work permit' though. This would be a good example of where a farang could never meet the criteria and so would either never try or do it 'under the radar'. I bet many working without a permit do so because Thailand makes it virtually impossible for them to get one unless they work for a big organisation or throw money away to some leeches so they can pretend they do.

there are dog catchers that catches dogs and sells them to vietnam ... but that idea probably won't work. There are too many soi dogs, nobody wants to adopt them, and no Thais would use the service. Thais dump their pets at temples, pretty ironic considering they usually go to that same temple to make merit.

• Like 1

What do you do with the dogs after catching then . Who will pay you money

Now you know why there is no such business in Thailand cheesy.gif

You could set up a dog meat & noodle shop, One on every corner to counteract the coffee shops.

Edited by ianf

Dog pounds in the US do the same thing, they just kill them later.

Must be okay then.

rather like us then

In the past, the Royal Thai army have fulfilled this role, in one of their more useful functions. They used to round up the mutts , take them out of town and let the recruits have target practice on them. If you think CM has a dog problem now, you should've seen it 20 years ago.

I remember back in the 70's - I was stationed on Same San, and Uthapao - the Military Police were shooting dogs with high powered BB guns, they ran in Packs - the local Amphur Chief protested saying - "You have to put out two pieces of meat - one with 'medicine, and one without' it is Buddah's will which one the animal will eat" This is true, because my Army roomate worked in Public Affairs showed me the letter. Problem was the dogs would eat both of them, no more shooting, no more dog's.wai2.gif

• Like 1

A soi dog relocation service could make money. I'm sure there's no shortage of people here who would pay ฿100-$200 for someone to come to their neighborhood and pick up problem strays and release them in a low human/dog population location.

I know I would, Hell, I'd even throw in a rooster or two.

• Like 1

Actually I did see it 20 years ago. Wasn't bothered by the soi-dogs then and aren't bothered by them now.

Catch and dump or kill will solve the problem temporarily, till other dogs will fill up the niche. Then the same 'problem' re-occurs. With spay/neuter-release the niche stays filled, but the reproduction process stops. And as a pleasant 'side-effect' the overall health of the dogs (in general) improves and area will become more peaceful, because fights over females in heat will considerably reduce.

So, I suggest to add to the dog catching business the follow-up of bringing the dogs and cats to the vet for spay/neuter and you may get lots of support from (dog/cat rescue) society. :)

• Like 1