Founder of the Mormon Church had up to 40 wives

Lite Beer

We must never allow ourselves to forget ourselves.

Given a fertile social climate, the right amount of fear and appropriate array of semiotics will quickly flourish into its own immutable institution.

The desperate, the fearful, the ignorant, and the intellectually vacuous, are then easily goaded into neutralizing their fears and filling society's intellectual vacuum with the most tenuous of belief systems.

Charismatics offering explanation, reward and salvation, be they human or intellectual, are soon elevated to godlike stature.

Heretics are quickly silenced.

Be careful out there, funseekers.

Anything can be turned into a religion.

• Like 2

It's strange how the apparent strongest of religeons and beliefs are built on lies and ultra hypocracy,in this case some credit (but not much) must be given to finally to admitting the truth! it makes one wonder if the worst is yet to be revealed.

Sam Harris put it quite well when he said that Mormonism was just Christianity with some more stupid ideas tacked on.

Yes, the Jesus came to America religion.

I can accept that there were blokes named Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed who walked the earth and were later deifieid by their followers.

But this native Americans being Israelites, golden tablets and Jesus coming to America so say 'go west young man', well, that is a bit much.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

It's strange how the apparent strongest of religeons and beliefs are built on lies and ultra hypocracy,in this case some credit (but not much) must be given to finally to admitting the truth! it makes one wonder if the worst is yet to be revealed.

Sam Harris put it quite well when he said that Mormonism was just Christianity with some more stupid ideas tacked on.

I can accept that there were blokes named Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed who walked the earth and were later deifieid by their followers.

But this native Americans being Israelites, golden tablets and Jesus coming to America so say 'go west young man', well, that is a bit much.

Try and make such claims today ... and you'll get sent to the nutter asylum, innit?

• Like 1

Try and make such claims today ... and you'll get sent to the nutter asylum, innit?

I love America, I really do.

But, America can't be America if it didn't have its own religion!

Yesterday I was talking to my sister in Law (a Thai Lady) and said that I noticed she had some new lady staff working for her. Yes she said I have. That one there is married to a Muslim man who has 3 other wives.

Interesting I said, is that legal in Thailand and she said I don't know but thats what he has...4 wives.

This is Thailand.

As I understand it only a small proportion of Thai's actually officially marry, so most are really "cohabiting" and remember the phrase "Mia Noy" meaning minor wife.

Interesting subject. As one here commented it's been common knowledge for a long time. As part of my degree I studied Smith's life. An interesting study to say the least and perhaps polygamy was one of his lesser controversies. However it should be noted that Mormons believe that a woman cannot enter their 'highest' heavenly state without first having been sealed ( married ) in a temple. At this time many of the men were being slaughtered by anti-Mormon mobs and leaving widows who may not have undergone this ritual and also a shortage of men for women to marry. It is possible that 'perhaps' Smith took the wives as 'temple wives' only to satisfy their beliefs and when he realised there were going to be far too many to accommodate instructed other church 'officials- ( namely his closest friends) to do the same. This would certainly in their eyes ( if not ours) to be a just reason, and later when there was an abundance of men the practise was discarded. This of course does not explain why he married a 14 year old as she was in no need at that time for such a ritual to be undertaken being too young. Or it could be they were just a bunch of dirty old men. ?

He also 'married' wives who were still married to their husbands.... Weird morals/beliefs.

Weird morals/beliefs - they are existing in abundance, even today

I thought that already was common knowledge. I've known he had quite a few for about 50 years, even grew up with descendent of his... “Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” -Mark Twain

Since Mark Twain was a Presbyterian this quote surly did not come from him. The earliest references that it did are from 2002. But it does bring up a good point when talking about religion believe no one.

http://www.zebrafactcheck.com/neer-the-twain-did-speak-it/

Yesterday I was talking to my sister in Law (a Thai Lady) and said that I noticed she had some new lady staff working for her. Yes she said I have. That one there is married to a Muslim man who has 3 other wives.

Interesting I said, is that legal in Thailand and she said I don't know but thats what he has...4 wives.

This is Thailand.

As I understand it only a small proportion of Thai's actually officially marry, so most are really "cohabiting" and remember the phrase "Mia Noy" meaning minor wife.

Mia noy is more accurately (although not literally) translated to English as Mistress. It does not really imply that the man has two wives. Muslims in Thailand can have 4 wives legally.

Scientology!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I still can't figure out, who after reading the Mormon "bible", would join these morons? Not one coherent page in the whole book. Try it and see.

I have tried and i felt like i am reading Harry Potter. A nice phantasy book. Unfortunately there are folks who believe to that ...........story without any historical proof. There many people who join the for some kind of benefits. You would be surprised how many Polynesians are in Utah or other immigrants who they help them to immigrate to the US.

Scientology!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No jingers. That is Hollywoods own religion!