Help With Workout / Weight Training

OliverKlozerof

Thanks again for all the comments. Some of them had some suggestions I need to go back and consider. I've already gotten a few PMs from people offering to help. I just wrote a long reply to one of them and figured I could share it with those who might be interested. (If you're not interested then, obviously, surf elsewhere.) It's a quick-and-dirty web page with more details on my situation and goals, including a few photos:

http://bangkokmac.com/workout.html

The most important thing is whats inside your head............I have been there doing stuff with big guys that didn't have the head thing and stayed well back from a wee guy like me..........Your head will get YOU there if YOU want it.......smile.png

• Like 1

I hired a personal trainer for 6k baht/20 sessions and it was the best money I ever spent. He showed me the proper way to use all the machines and helped me put together a routine I could then build upon as I progressed. Shop around, there are good trainers at reasonable rates.

• Like 1

unless your an athlete personal training will likely do nothing for you. find something you enjoy snd are self motivated for.

get over there are start working out. a few core exercises is all your going to need. like bench presses, curls, squats etc watch what other people are doing snd add stuff gradually. no meed for complex stuff at this point.

cardio is the other half. mountain or road bike around the park if the heats not too much.

diet is the third leg. cut out major calories like alcohol, sugar, cakes etc. no need to get anal until your down the road. take small steps.

when your getting in dhspe theres also a psych component, not just physical stuff like lifting. your trying to improve youself as a man.

if your not a man inside you wont be one outside.

a man is always working out snd getting off no matter what he happens to be doing. that means he could be working out, enjoying a fine wine, or even getting off. point is, his life is one big climax and hes improving.

this mental outlook gives confidence and theres no need for trainers and no excuses. the weights get heavier and heavier and he gets off!

get it?

Edited by fey

Thanks for all the interest. Yes, I've been leafing through the overabundance (emphasis on the "over"), of info on the web. Watched several youtube vids, found various sites. Most recently going through the overwhelming number of programs and info at bodybuilding.com. All free. The internet is an amazing thing. I've learned quite a bit.
Yes, I know several exercises for chest (my main, but not only interest); that is best to do, say about 8 reps to failure for 3 to 5 sets for hypertrophy (tear down to build back bigger). You can do full body workout or various kinds of split workouts.... Most recommend whey, so I've got some of that....
I was a gymnast back in school days, so have been working with weights and machines a long time.
Still, I think it *might* be worth a couple thousand baht to have a *few* sessions with someone, as long as they are educated and experienced in helping people like myself. I'm 58 now and in pretty good shape (I ride my bike everywhere, for example). I don't want to pay for a gym that has all the adjustable weights (Lumphini is just B20/time, but doesn't even have a complete set of dumbbells and half the machines don't work). There are pretty impressive bodybuilders at Lumphini but, alas, almost all are Thai and my Thai is not that good. I want a program that's specific to my goals. Yeah, I'm already working out and feeling just great. Yes, I will keep reading and experimenting, but I'd like to try getting one-to-one help a few times with someone who has made something of a career of it. I'd like my workouts and effort to be spent on the efficient side, not the opposite. ;-)

Learning how to work out is great but learning how to adjust your nutrients and how to recover are equally important. You can PM me if you want more information.

Edited by Skyboogie

Just a quick follow up...

I did a 1-hour session with a trainer. (We met at a gym, as he wouldn't go to Lumphini.) One of the things he recommended was a kind of beginner's split program.
So, we agreed on this: I'll do a 'push' day, followed by rest day, then a 'pull' day, then rest day. (I told him I like to workout every other day.)
Each exercise is to be done in 4 sets, 8 reps each (4x8). Not to 'failure,' but using enough weight that the last few reps are challenging.
Push Days:
squat, overhead press, bench press
optional: lateral raises, lunge
Pull Days:
dead lift, pull ups, bent over row
optional: curls, hip raises/bridge, face pull
I need to keep track of the weights I use and try to continually add weight in small increments to move toward heavier weights. (But start out a bit easy and concentrate on correct form.) He said this simple program should help me add some bulk and, if I wanted, later I could move to a more specific program.
Yesterday I did my first 'pull day.' One thing that struck me was, it was a lot easier, in a way, than my random, full-body circuit I had been doing, which was quite fatiguing, and most likely, not a very efficient use of workout time.
I'd still be interested in meeting someone at Lumphini to help me with correct form and to find a way to use that (second rate, but sufficient; cheap and convenient), gym to meet my goals.
However, I also want to see if there might be some other gym options fairly close to me (Chitlom to Nana), that are cheap but which have, for example, a complete set of dumbbells, barbells, etc. (But no annoying music or fashion/cell phone people....)

I am a member of Fitcorp and have used their PTs there for awhile. They are very good, but indeed expensive. I'd be up for organizing an informal exercise group to meet Benjakiti or Lumpini or Benjasari. I have done this before and its a great workout--and free. PM me if any interest

Just a quick follow up...

I did a 1-hour session with a trainer. (We met at a gym, as he wouldn't go to Lumphini.) One of the things he recommended was a kind of beginner's split program.
So, we agreed on this: I'll do a 'push' day, followed by rest day, then a 'pull' day, then rest day. (I told him I like to workout every other day.)
Each exercise is to be done in 4 sets, 8 reps each (4x8). Not to 'failure,' but using enough weight that the last few reps are challenging.
Push Days:
squat, overhead press, bench press
optional: lateral raises, lunge
Pull Days:
dead lift, pull ups, bent over row
optional: curls, hip raises/bridge, face pull
I need to keep track of the weights I use and try to continually add weight in small increments to move toward heavier weights. (But start out a bit easy and concentrate on correct form.) He said this simple program should help me add some bulk and, if I wanted, later I could move to a more specific program.
Yesterday I did my first 'pull day.' One thing that struck me was, it was a lot easier, in a way, than my random, full-body circuit I had been doing, which was quite fatiguing, and most likely, not a very efficient use of workout time.
I'd still be interested in meeting someone at Lumphini to help me with correct form and to find a way to use that (second rate, but sufficient; cheap and convenient), gym to meet my goals.
However, I also want to see if there might be some other gym options fairly close to me (Chitlom to Nana), that are cheap but which have, for example, a complete set of dumbbells, barbells, etc. (But no annoying music or fashion/cell phone people....)

most gyms in that area are going to be fashion and pricey / the usual thai glitz / marketing trainers hovering around looking for tips / people in que for weights etc. unless you go out to a local area. of course the equipment gets a little sketchy as well, no a/c etc.

may have some luck with hotel gyms, just paying to use the facilities. probably less crowded as well.

Great programs are the starting strength though the older you get the more you have to worry about good form and warmups. I used to neglect them, not anymore as I am still almost injury free. I have some shoulder problems, but they are almost gone. Other then that in my 26 years of training never an injury. Except a belt that tore dropping a 25kg disk on my toe. But that is not really a training injury more bad luck.

I got my own gym been training there for the last 7 years. I gradually built it up because at first there were no good gyms where i live. Gyms can be fun too more social as training alone.

About personal trainers, there are good ones but hard to find. But its a good idea to learn some form. I am pretty sure I mess a few things up but do most of it good because I have been at it so long. But when i started I had a trainer to teach me what to do (he did teach me some wrong things but most good more as what i would have learned on my own).

So just try to get a good trainer or ask some of the more experienced guys to help you out once.

• Like 1

I have been a member of several fitness centers in Thailand. Thai trainers are useless and cluless. Except for knowing how to use some of the machines, they seem to know nothing about general fitness. Better to learn yourself or hire a western trainer.

Thanks for all the interest. Yes, I've been leafing through the overabundance (emphasis on the "over"), of info on the web. Watched several youtube vids, found various sites. Most recently going through the overwhelming number of programs and info at bodybuilding.com. All free. The internet is an amazing thing. I've learned quite a bit.
Yes, I know several exercises for chest (my main, but not only interest); that is best to do, say about 8 reps to failure for 3 to 5 sets for hypertrophy (tear down to build back bigger). You can do full body workout or various kinds of split workouts.... Most recommend whey, so I've got some of that....
I was a gymnast back in school days, so have been working with weights and machines a long time.
Still, I think it *might* be worth a couple thousand baht to have a *few* sessions with someone, as long as they are educated and experienced in helping people like myself. I'm 58 now and in pretty good shape (I ride my bike everywhere, for example). I don't want to pay for a gym that has all the adjustable weights (Lumphini is just B20/time, but doesn't even have a complete set of dumbbells and half the machines don't work). There are pretty impressive bodybuilders at Lumphini but, alas, almost all are Thai and my Thai is not that good. I want a program that's specific to my goals. Yeah, I'm already working out and feeling just great. Yes, I will keep reading and experimenting, but I'd like to try getting one-to-one help a few times with someone who has made something of a career of it. I'd like my workouts and effort to be spent on the efficient side, not the opposite. ;-)

Learning how to work out is great but learning how to adjust your nutrients and how to recover are equally important. You can PM me if you want more information.

Correct i made the best progress ever when i had a good program combined with good food wish i had learned this all 20 years before. However food is one of the most important things you need to learn about. That is for most of us have a hard time staying lean