Nong Hoi district - is it dangerous?

Denis Gorbachev

Well, its been called 'Little Beirut', but I was sure that was because there was a kebab salesman there a few years ago.......

He must have wandered over from the Sapahn Mengrai end of Charoen Prathet.

Although you can still get good rotis in the evening near the market.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Nong Hoy extends well across the highway/ Mahidol as well. I used to live down there. Never any troubles. It's nice to live among the locals. Those who feel they need to live in gated communities or condos in over-trodden areas really miss out on being integrated into the community.

Wherever I live I also always take it upon myself to be gracious and introduce myself to neighbors, share if I bake a little something extra, or bring back some kind of candy or something for kids when I travel abroad - keeping your neighbors on your side as extra ears and eyes is always helpful. Plus you get to (hopefully) make some friends in the process. I've been invited to untold numbers of parties and celebrations because of this, and also sometimes am greeted with a neighbor bringing over a portion of a curry or khanom jin, say, just because they cooked a bunch and they want to be neighborly. Get connected and enjoy the area. smile.png

Spot on bro.

That's been my experience exactly.

• Like 1

nong hoi always has checkpoints, in the afternoon and late night...if you go out and drink beware.

its also a very dangerous road at nightime, 2 lane and when you get behind a slow motorbike, car or truck it crawls to a snails pace because you cannot pass. Lanes are tiny.

Do you mean traffic police checkpoints?

What is dangerous about slow-moving lanes?

Don't forget that Nong Hoy extends well across the highway/ Mahidol as well. I used to live down there. Never any troubles. It's nice to live among the locals. Those who feel they need to live in gated communities or condos in over-trodden areas really miss out on being integrated into the community.

Wherever I live I also always take it upon myself to be gracious and introduce myself to neighbors, share if I bake a little something extra, or bring back some kind of candy or something for kids when I travel abroad [...] Get connected and enjoy the area. smile.png

Should I still introduce myself if they don't understand English?

I also wonder if I should make some gifts right after moving in. Do you think it would be a good idea?

Edited by Denis Gorbachev

Wherever I live I also always take it upon myself to be gracious and introduce myself to neighbors, share if I bake a little something extra, or bring back some kind of candy or something for kids when I travel abroad [...] Get connected and enjoy the area. smile.png

I also wonder if I should make some gifts right after moving in. Do you think it would be a good idea?

Allow me to comment.

Yes, it would be a good idea to give some small gifts of food to your immediate neighbours... but don't try to play Santa Claus and overdo it. I have found that almost all of them around here like croissants, so that's what I often give.

Language shouldn't be much of a problem if you speak slowly and get the young people to help translate to the older ones who may not be as proficient in English.

If you can make some progress with the Thai language, that is fine, but if you can't for whatever reason, then English is widely understood.

If you live here without alienating people, chances are you won't have any serious problems, other than minor annoyances. One thing that should be kept in mind is the fact that most Thais don't seem to be bothered by noise. I've never been able to understand it, and frankly I've stopped trying.

Good luck getting a place you like.

• Like 1

Wherever I live I also always take it upon myself to be gracious and introduce myself to neighbors, share if I bake a little something extra, or bring back some kind of candy or something for kids when I travel abroad - keeping your neighbors on your side as extra ears and eyes is always helpful. Plus you get to (hopefully) make some friends in the process. I've been invited to untold numbers of parties and celebrations because of this, and also sometimes am greeted with a neighbor bringing over a portion of a curry or khanom jin, say, just because they cooked a bunch and they want to be neighborly. Get connected and enjoy the area. smile.png

Good on ya. Thank you for that. It would be so nice if everybody talked with their neighbors. As a small side effect it would reduce by half or more the number of inquires here about where to find something or someone to do this or that bit of maintenance because neighbors know all that stuff.

• Like 1

It's much easier for those of us married to locals. My wife knows, far better than me, the right level of neighbourliness.

Agreed.

I often ask myself... What would I do without my wife?

She's not the laughing girl that I married 32 years ago, but in many ways I love her even more.

Danger is relative. Compared to the beaches of Normandy on D-day, it's slightly less dangerous. Slightly is also relative.

Have I ever fought 11 ninjas (not Thai, of course, Japanese!!) in Nong Hoi after a night of drinking and down the wrong soi? Maybe.

Have I ever witnessed the sword gang surround 100 farangs and force them to sing Justin Bieber songs? PM for details...

Would I ever walk around Nong Hoi without my bullet proof vest and infra-red goggles? No I would not........

Nong Hoi is safe in my experience but make sure you rent a house not too near the river as it can be prone to flooding in some of the lower areas, at the least make sure the house you rent has a raised bit which most of them do. Absolutely agree with the others about getting friendly with the neighbours, introduce yourself, bring them something occasionally, and smile and say hello to all the neighbours who live on your soi. A friendly face will go down well with them.

Also, as others have said, a lot of police checks especially on the Mahidol Road/Lamphun Road intersection so make sure all of your documents are in order etc, keep your driving licence with you as if you don't have it on you that day they can and will fine you!

• Like 1

it's safe, like pretty much everywhere in Chiang Mai. Btw as far as I know Nong Hoi is part of Muang district if I'm not mistaken. If you like very good safety you may consider renting a house in a gated community. (especially if you travel a lot and often not stay home)

• Like 1

Spot on bro.

That's been my experience exactly.

x2 for my experience in 5 years living in Nong Hoi. My home baked Biscotti proved most popular with both locals and expats, alomst couldn't keep up with the demand, and my 11 through to 16 year old son walked the streets alone or with friends often.

it's safe, like pretty much everywhere in Chiang Mai. Btw as far as I know Nong Hoi is part of Muang district if I'm not mistaken. If you like very good safety you may consider renting a house in a gated community. (especially if you travel a lot and often not stay home)

If that was the case he might want to consider a condo.

nong hoi always has checkpoints, in the afternoon and late night...if you go out and drink beware.

its also a very dangerous road at nightime, 2 lane and when you get behind a slow motorbike, car or truck it crawls to a snails pace because you cannot pass. Lanes are tiny.

yes police checkpoints, whats dangerous about slow moving traffic? well if its you on a motorcycle slowing down traffic, you dont want to be in front of a drunk person in a hurry.

slow drivers are also annoying as hell, think the road belongs to them.

I agree with the others in saying it isn't dangerous - or at least no more dangerous than anywhere else in or around Chiang Mai.

On my first visit to the Wat Muang Guy/Sanam Golf neighbourhood in 1979 I met an attractive young girl from a local family. Three years later we were married and set up house on some land that belonged to her mother. I've never been robbed by kamoys or hassled by anyone here. Although I'm occasionly bothered by barking dogs and sometimes the young people play their music too loud, but this is Thailand and it's where I want to be.

I agree it isn't dangerous, but a little tip been her since 1977, if your house is broken into, the chances of you knowing the person that did it is 99%.

Mention has been made of flooding in Nong Hoi.

No discussion of the area would be complete without noting that it is located on a floodplain and consequently prone to what is euphemistically known as the "F-word" among real estate agents and those who are trying to rent or sell property here.

Previous threads on this topic have debated the causes of the floods and what what might be done to prevent them.

Two camps have arisen. Those who [rightly] point out the obvious - that the water comes from the Ping River overflowing its banks... and those deluded souls who maintain that the water welling up from the drains is the source of the problem.

Nobody who has a long experience of Nong Hoi could doubt that the Ping River is where the water comes from. Although heavy rainfall and full drains add to it, they are not the primary cause.

During periods of high water, just before the river breaches its banks, there is an eerie silence and a collective anxiety that is almost palpable. Suddenly all hell breaks loose - the water surges across the CM-Lamphun Road and uses Thanon Ratutit as a conduit to inundate the Sanam Golf and the residential areas nearby. The flood waters come on like a tidal bore in successive swells terrifying the basically superstitious old Kohn Muang in our community who see it as some malevolent act of the spirits. Whatever you wish to believe about the origin, the effect is devastating. We had a full metre of putrid water on our ground floor some years ago.

The drainage system is not the cause of the problem. The river is. A two metre high floodwall from Kawila Barracks to near Saphan Mengrai would end or alleviate the bad situation we face here.

The drains may contribute to flooding in other parts of the city, but Nong Hoi flooded long before there was a drainage system in place - other than shallow ditches covered by old boards in the market area. The housing development of Siriwattana to the south is also blamed for blocking run-off. That may be so to a certain extent; but catastrophic floods occured when Siriwattana was a ricefield.

The Ping River causes the flooding in Nong Hoi, and when you see it coming you'd better head for the hills - or your upper floor as we do.

• Like 1