Pickup or Sedan for typical BKK driving

Skyboogie

Pick up trucks are commercial vehicles designed to carry 1 tonne payload, when empty their suspension will rattle you to death!

Unless you are a farmer and need to carry loads, buy a car...they are designed for cities and if you buy a mazda they have 6 airbags and excellent crash resistance NCAP 5

• Like 2

Go with the High Rise Pickup brother. You do get more respect in traffic and your obviously going to make use of your vehicle for weekend trips out of Bkk. Driving on the freeways I was saved a few times driving a Hi Rise PajeroSport to be able to go onto the shoulder for those truck and bus drivers who simply pushes you off the road...

It's also more reliable when flooding occurred you don't have a problem like some.

I would go with the Pickup !!

Good Luck

• Like 1

Do you have a reason to believe that a Mazda 3 cannot withstand a collision?

Sois in Bangkok very rarely flood enough to be worried about.

Sedan vs Sedan I am sure it will hold up well. It's the pickups, buses and commercial trucks that have me concerned. I've got two little girls to protect.

I think I just answered my own question.

I hope the wife doesn't mind driving a pickup... I might be sleeping in the spare room for a while. sad.png

You might rethink your idea and buy a yellow submarine. Bangkok could sink tomorrow. Stay on the safe side of life. The wife doesn't mind.

BTW, what's "Typical Bangkok driving?" w00t.gif

Typical Bangkok Driving = is part of my question. I've never driven in Bangkok. I'm new.

There have been some terrific answers so far in this forum.

What ever you pick just check out the service department reviews. You want to by something with very good service reviews. My girl has a Honda city and I feel like we are dragging on the ground, anyway we made a 10:00 am appointment for a tire rotation and oil change here in Chonburi , we arrived at 9;55 finally got waited on and was told we could pick the car up at 3;00 pm. I said MIA DEE YOU CLOWN !!!! long story short we had to bring it to Bangkok Honda for service. They understand what appointment means.

I live near the Mazda dealer on Sukhumvit 65 and they have a service center. I haven't read anything bad about them. I've read the horror stories about Ford on here.

I had a vios and a captiva where I lived before. The difference in customer service was night and day. Toyota was an absolute pleasure and they check EVERYTHING during a service. Chevy just dropped the oil and any warranty covered part took a minimum of two months to arrive.

Was reading about the new mazda 2 "Diesel" in that other english newspaper that we are not allowed to quote here for various long reasons i forget, anyways, it doesnt look too bad on paper. 1.5 liter so qualifies for the tax eco car thingy subsidy.

About the rattling ass end of an empty truck, yeah can happen but then again I was riding around in my bosses bm the other day and it rattled going over bumps on the shitty non expressway surfaces here. For me, i just iike the ride height and flex of being able to toss in my kids bikes in the back or whatever else I need and off I go.

Narrow sois, don't go down too many that cause me any issue - bigger issue is motorbikes coming going in every direction. At least I can see them a bit better being higher up and they can sure as hell see me and in particular my side mirrors as they are at the perfect height to get someone who is not paying attention - attention smile.png

U turns and parking in malls, you get the hang of it and your brain adjusts automatically so non issue.

The new mazda 3 looks a nice car I must admit but if I ever ditch the truck for a car it will be for a suburu xv. mazda 5 type vehicle.

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

Pick up trucks are commercial vehicles designed to carry 1 tonne payload, when empty their suspension will rattle you to death!

Unless you are a farmer and need to carry loads, buy a car...they are designed for cities and if you buy a mazda they have 6 airbags and excellent crash resistance NCAP 5

Try driving a modern 4 door pickup before making comments about them.
  • Like 1

Haha, checkout how many air bags in the top model New trucks, Inc the bt50.

I drive both,so why is Burl Ives so wrong.?.Are You saying a Camry rides like a Vigo then.?.Our Navara is a mile off ride wise as a Teana.

I drive both,so why is Burl Ives so wrong.?.Are You saying a Camry rides like a Vigo then.?.Our Navara is a mile off ride wise as a Teana.

TeaNa that bad is it? :)

Rubbish.................rolleyes.gif

This 'when empty their suspension will rattle you to death!' is simply not true.

It's true. The BT-50 has two up front. Same with the Mazda 3 unless you get the 2.0SP hatchback. I just checked my ID and it says I'm not 16 anymore so the HB is a no-go.

The 3.2 WT has 6 airbags but it's 110,000 more than the BT. It's hard to justify when I am already expecting to pay 114,000 more for the 4x4 3.2 R AT. My kids sit too low to benefit from curtain airbags either way.

I like the idea of throwing bike in the back and heading to a park. Heck, with a 1 tonne payload I might even be able to pick up your old lady. ;)

It's true. The BT-50 has two up front. Same with the Mazda 3 unless you get the 2.0SP hatchback. I just checked my ID and it says I'm not 16 anymore so the HB is a no-go.

The 3.2 WT has 6 airbags but it's 110,000 more than the BT. It's hard to justify when I am already expecting to pay 114,000 more for the 4x4 3.2 R AT. My kids sit too low to benefit from curtain airbags either way.

I like the idea of throwing bike in the back and heading to a park. Heck, with a 1 tonne payload I might even be able to pick up your old lady. ;)

If the kids sitting too low, get booster seats

For the record, I've owned an 88 Sedan Deville a 91 Lincoln Continental an 05 F-150 an 08 Vios and 09 Sportage a 12 Captiva and I currently operate both a 2012 70 Series five seater Wagon and a 2013 70 Series nine seater Troop Carrier. I've since figured out that ride quality differs between classes.

Thanks for the help though.

Never heard such Cobblers, comparing,truck ride quality to equiv weighted car with IRS. But its all good Fun. Id get a Swift for BKK anyway.thumbsup.gif

Where did you read that?

Jeeez i give up,a bloody Honda Jazz has better ride quality than the Navara.Recon some folks are brain washed to evade the good /bad points of both.Who Cares, its Leo Day Fridayburp.gif

• Like 1

Should I go for a high riding Pickup that can withstand a collision and wade through flooded Sois?

The Mazda can withstand a typical BKK collision but I'd prefer a pickup if you plan to drive out of the city or even the motorways outside of peak hour.

Does a pickup command more "respect" when pulling into heavy traffic?

Yes, but you'll still need to give way to buses, trucks and old scratched up cars.

Should I go for the family sedan that's more agile and easier to park?

Agility gives you practically nothing compared to the advantage of better vision from the high seating position of a pickup in terms of getting ahead in traffic.

Likewise, the small size of the car is nothing compared to the ability to mount the footpath when looking for parking spaces.

• Like 2

Get a 4 door pickup, Toyota is best due to such wide service options and dealers, and parts.

Get one with built in alarm that has a visible blinking red light inside.

Absolutely mount the license plates, front and rear, with the strongest frame plate you can get; deface the head of he screw so it can not be easily removed. I had my weakly mounted rear plate stolen parked near a Thai bar, for Thai people, and same time, someone tried to take off the lower cowling of my front to get the other plate. Only got a few screws off on front, likely scared away.

I think the parking guy targeted my Toyota 4 door pickup for his buddies.

A good pickup cuts out lots of worries... just learn to drive it and park it and then relax to have a tuff vehicle. I like mine and drove thru high water during floods with ease.wai.gif

• Like 2

Get a 4 door pickup, Toyota is best due to such wide service options and dealers, and parts.

Get one with built in alarm that has a visible blinking red light inside.

Absolutely mount the license plates, front and rear, with the strongest frame plate you can get; deface the head of he screw so it can not be easily removed. I had my weakly mounted rear plate stolen parked near a Thai bar, for Thai people, and same time, someone tried to take off the lower cowling of my front to get the other plate. Only got a few screws off on front, likely scared away.

I think the parking guy targeted my Toyota 4 door pickup for his buddies.

A good pickup cuts out lots of worries... just learn to drive it and park it and then relax to have a tuff vehicle. I like mine and drove thru high water during floods with ease.wai.gif

That's great info. Thank you sir. What's the reason for stealing plates? Or were they planning on taking the truck?

My preference would be for a pickup truck. But that is what I have always driven, in 38+ years of being a licensed driver, and even a bit before that.

Opinion alert: The arguments about "crash safety" are nonsensical to me. Any modern vehicle that is not 'crash-worthy' is going to be a POS that I would never buy anyway. I am not overly concerned about decimal differences in crash tests.

Likewise, the 'maneuverability' argument does not hold much water with me. Unless you are talking about a 'city car' such as a SmartCar or the like, there is not really much dimensional difference between a mid-range sedan and the scaled-down pickup trucks sold here.

All that said, my preferred vehicle for inside BKK is a motorbike.

• Like 2