Thailand to 'be more careful' after Vanessa Mae ban

webfact

Thailand to 'be more careful' after Vanessa Mae ban
By Coconuts Bangkok

vmae.jpg
ABOVE: Pop violin virtuoso Vanessa Mae, Thailand's first ever female skier at the Olympics, prepared for the Women's Alpine Skiing Giant Slalom Run 1 at the Sochi Winter Olympics on Feb. 18. Photo: AFP

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Olympic committee said it would be more careful about endorsing athletes Wednesday after former child prodigy violinist Vanessa Mae was banned from competitive skiing over her rigged entry into the Winter Olympics.

The 36-year-old music star became Thailand's first ever female Olympic skier when she competed at the Sochi Games in Russia this year, coming 67th and last in the giant slalom.

But Mae, born in Singapore to Thai and Chinese parents, was Tuesday given a four-year ban from all International Skiing Federation (FIS) events over her "manipulated" qualification for the Games.

The FIS said that a hearing panel had established that Mae's qualifying event, held in a blizzard in January in Slovenia, in southeastern Europe, was riddled with irregularities.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/13/thailand-be-more-careful-after-vanessa-mae-ban

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-13

To be honest the Thai Olympic Committe were complicit in the irregularities - They knew full well what was going on as they were part of the scam.

" The International Ski Federation (FIS) found that qualifying races had been organised by Mae’s own management company with the assistance of Thailand’s Olympic Committee simply to get her into the tournament"

(Source - The Independent 11/ 11//2104)

I think the that's what you called being caught with your pants down!!

• Like 1

jonclark post # 7

To be honest the Thai Olympic Committe were complicit in the irregularities - They knew full well what was going on as they were part of the scam.

" The International Ski Federation (FIS) found that qualifying races had been organised by Mae’s own management company with the assistance of Thailand’s Olympic Committee simply to get her into the tournament"

You see that's what happens when you go out on the ''piste.''cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I'm gonna compete in the next Olympics for the Thai team as I believe that my great, great grandfather sailed past the gulf of Thailand 120 years ago. Now I just need the Olympic committee to include farting, beer swilling or griping as a new Olympic sport.

Thailand officials seemed pretty clueless

She was 10 years older than the next oldest competitor in the event and ranked outside the top 2000 skiers in the world.....Under what circumstance could anyone believe that a few rigged races could qualify her for olympic games?

Thainess ?

• Like 1

Embarrassed Thailand by cheating. Shocking !!

Probably embarrassed because she was caught more like it. So often ready to jump on the band wagon of someone is famous lets support and make them Thai heroes. I remember the Tiger Woods case when he, rightly explained he was an American and not Thai.

Vanessa Mae should be ashamed of herself, especially as she rarely claims that she is Thai, only when it suits her.

I hope the manager gets banned also.

She once did a concert tour under the heading CHINA Girl

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Could have been worse if caught not wearing a shirt while driving.

Embarrassed Thailand by cheating. Shocking !!

Probably embarrassed because she was caught more like it. So often ready to jump on the band wagon of someone is famous lets support and make them Thai heroes. I remember the Tiger Woods case when he, rightly explained he was an American and not Thai.

Vanessa Mae should be ashamed of herself, especially as she rarely claims that she is Thai, only when it suits her.

I hope the manager gets banned also.

She once did a concert tour under the heading CHINA Girl

That proves it, no Thai would do such a thing.

Thailand officials seemed pretty clueless

She was 10 years older than the next oldest competitor in the event and ranked outside the top 2000 skiers in the world.....Under what circumstance could anyone believe that a few rigged races could qualify her for olympic games?

Seems to work in Muay Thai okay. Oh, and in the Farang Premier League of Thai soccer.

Thailand's Olympic committee said it would be more careful about endorsing athletes Wednesday after former child prodigy violinist Vanessa Mae was banned from competitive skiing over her rigged entry into the Winter Olympics

From now on, Thailand's Olympic committee will endorse athletes only on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.