Question about Green Songthaew. I'm sure I was just HAD, but I want to learn for next time!

allsonew

Count the number of customers on those fixed routes. I think the ones I take average 20 customers per trip, at an average 13B a time. Each trip is about an hour including turn around. 10 trips a day, 260B a trip makes 2600B a day. Fuel would be 800B for the day leaving 1800B for the driver before other costs. I think they clear 30,000B a month profit.

Other than to argue with your numbers, which strike me as speculative and incomplete --- They don't even include rental and other costs --- what is your point?

The Op has said she's had her reply but no harm in us keeping it going!

You're not quite right. By my calculation he has included 800 baht a day for 'other costs'. He said 1800 baht a day after fuel costs, but only 30,000 a month profit, which is allowing for 800b a day for 'other costs'. I don't necessarily agree, but those are the figures he's putting forward.

Yeah, at 450 you might as well get a room. wink.png

That said, I paid 200 to go 12 km last Friday night at 2am or so. Your trip was about 18kms. Given that in both cases they go back empty, that makes for a 24km vs 36km distance, or about 50% more.

So, you could expect something like 300 Baht. This depends on being able to accurately tell the driver how far exactly it is. If he doesn't know how far, and or isn't confident that you know where you're going then he knows he'll end up with a wild goose chase on his hands, so then he should really ask more.

But if you can explain it clearly and confidently then you should be able to get 300 baht.

All of the above assumes that my 200 baht was reasonable.. I don't do this enough to say for sure but I think I could probably get 150, though by 2am it's kind of a crap shoot. wink.png

Another price example; just went from the Airport out to Hang Dong, a bit past the Samoeng intersection. 150 Baht from a passing red bus. 150 was their initial asking price and it seemed reasonable so didn't try to negotiate it down. (Airport taxi would be 220 Baht)

For me, air conditioned taxi from just outside the lobby to front door would win hands down every time

I don't really like meter taxis in Chiang Mai, so make an effort to avoid them when possible. Once they decide to begin operating like a proper taxi service (say, like Bangkok) then I'll consider them again for trips from/to the airport too.

I dislike the airport limo service slightly less, but disagree with the 220 Baht charge even for the relatively short trip out to where Hang Dong district starts, which really isn't far. I would take one to an in-town destination as that price is more reasonable.

So as it stands, I much prefer to support the 'real' Chiang Mai public transport providers, i.e. the Red Bus songthaew drivers.

On the way TO the airport (daytime) I get them for a very reasonable 40-50 Baht out from Hang Dong.

Nice people by and large, and who mostly really deserve the Baht.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Yeah, at 450 you might as well get a room. wink.png

That said, I paid 200 to go 12 km last Friday night at 2am or so. Your trip was about 18kms. Given that in both cases they go back empty, that makes for a 24km vs 36km distance, or about 50% more.

So, you could expect something like 300 Baht. This depends on being able to accurately tell the driver how far exactly it is. If he doesn't know how far, and or isn't confident that you know where you're going then he knows he'll end up with a wild goose chase on his hands, so then he should really ask more.

But if you can explain it clearly and confidently then you should be able to get 300 baht.

All of the above assumes that my 200 baht was reasonable.. I don't do this enough to say for sure but I think I could probably get 150, though by 2am it's kind of a crap shoot. wink.png

Another price example; just went from the Airport out to Hang Dong, a bit past the Samoeng intersection. 150 Baht from a passing red bus. 150 was their initial asking price and it seemed reasonable so didn't try to negotiate it down. (Airport taxi would be 220 Baht)

For me, air conditioned taxi from just outside the lobby to front door would win hands down every time

I don't really like meter taxis in Chiang Mai, so make an effort to avoid them when possible. Once they decide to begin operating like a proper taxi service (say, like Bangkok) then I'll consider them again for trips from/to the airport too.

I dislike the airport limo service slightly less, but disagree with the 220 Baht charge even for the relatively short trip out to where Hang Dong district starts, which really isn't far. I would take one to an in-town destination as that price is more reasonable.

So as it stands, I much prefer to support the 'real' Chiang Mai public transport providers, i.e. the Red Bus songthaew drivers.

On the way TO the airport (daytime) I get them for a very reasonable 40-50 Baht out from Hang Dong.

Nice people by and large, and who mostly really deserve the Baht.

Yup, agree that Sontheaw drivers deserve the support.

However, when I get off a plane with bags, tired, hot and sweaty I couldn't care less about supporting anyone, I just want the quickest and most comfortable ride home. Of course I do realise not all people coming from the airport have just got off a plane, so mileage may differ.

We came in last Sunday and were (very grumpily) quoted 200 baht at one taxi counter. We were going to get a songteaw, but asked at the counter next to it and it was 160 baht - I thought they were supposed to be standard prices from the airport.