Lift martial law, restore democracy, UN chief tells PM Prayut

webfact

Lift martial law, restore democracy, UN chief tells PM
The Nation

Prayut explains situation that led to the May 22 coup, informs Ban about junta's road map to democracy

BANGKOK: -- United NATIONS Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed concern over the continuation of martial law in Thailand, and urged the government to ensure a prompt return to civilian rule and constitutional order.

The UN chief made the point during a meeting with Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on the sidelines of the Asean Summit in Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar, late on Wednesday.

Prayut explained to the UN chief the political situation in Thailand that had led to the coup against an elected civilian government.

"The secretary-general acknowledged the prime minister's point that stability had been restored in Thailand. However, the UN chief expressed his concern at the continuation of martial law. He encouraged the prime minister to ensure a prompt return to civilian rule and constitutional order in Thailand," according to a UN statement.

Prayut told Ban that political conflict and violence in the Kingdom months ago offered the military no choice but to take action to maintain peace, law and order, according to Government Spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp.

"The government has a clear intention to restore peace for the benefit of public safety," he quoted Prayut as telling the UN chief.

Prayut also explained to Ban that Thailand was now in the second stage of its road map to reform and reconciliation. The authority is pushing forward the reform of 11 sectors for a sustainable democracy, he said.

Ban also thanked Prayut for Thailand's long-standing contribution to UN peacekeeping. He also welcomed the efforts of Thai people to raise donations for the battle against Ebola. The UN chief encouraged Thailand also to participate by sending health workers to join the campaign to fight the virus.

Prayut had been in Myanmar for the Asean Summit and related meetings since Tuesday. He also had bilateral meetings with several world leaders to explain the political situation, seek understanding for his reform efforts and trying forge cooperation with those countries.

In a meeting with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Prayut thanked Russia for increasing its imports of Thai agricultural products, including fruits, vegetables and canned foods, and expressed the hope that bilateral trade would double to about US$10 billion (Bt328 billion) by 2016.

The two sides congratulated each other on their long-standing ties ahead of the 120th anniversary of diplomatic relations in 2017.

With Thailand remaining a popular destination for Russian travellers, Prayut assured Medvedev that the Kingdom was a safe place to visit and that his government would make every effort to ensure the well-being of all visitors.

The general also extended an invitation to Russia to invest in Thailand's infrastructure development projects.

In return, Medvedev voiced readiness to push trade and investment cooperation between the two countries, saying he would expand the market for Thai produce within Russia. He also invited Prayut to make an official visit to Russia when convenient.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Lift-martial-law-restore-democracy-UN-chief-tells--30247744.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-14

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a little bit different to the report yesterday of The PMP and Ban Ki-moon

Some of the supposed PMP part of the conversation is Quoted quite a few comments are not , is that the newspaper trying to water down Moons comments and not appear to be critical of the Junta (Below)

Prayut told Ban that political conflict and violence in the Kingdom months ago offered the military no choice but to take action to maintain peace, law and order, according to Government Spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp.

Prayut also explained to Ban that Thailand was now in the second stage of its road map to reform and reconciliation. The authority is pushing forward the reform of 11 sectors for a sustainable democracy, he said.

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

The UN, an organisation full of scumbag countries of the lowest order. If the general had any sense he would sever Thailand's link with the UN.

Yes, why not sever links with the whole rest of the world, thailand knows best, 93+% are very happy now 55555

Edited by kmj
  • Like 1

The dear leader made a public announcement and spoke to Thai's on behalf of the world saying that the world was very happy with Thailand, the coup and martial law. The supreme leaders propaganda machines manure being fed to the mushrooms has come back to slap him in the face again. He should stop making announcements on behalf of others until he consults them 1st. How could anyone seriously believe a single thing said by this government.

Here is a clear two way decent conversation one of hope from the sec gen, the other explaining the situ.

Chooka your biased is showing very clear.

I think the headline is appropriate. The first paragraph describes the UN's actual statements and that is the basis of the headline. The remainder of the article is the same tired military rhetoric that we are force fed on a daily basis.

You have just proved my point, you chose the headline because it suits your rhetoric the other paragraphs do not. Biased to say the least.

You are right. The headline should be more inclusive and read:

What UN leader actually says conflicts with what thai military news reports

• Like 1

I find this quite condescending

"Prayut explained to the UN chief the political situation in Thailand that had led to the coup against an elected civilian government."

. I would be surprised if the Secretary General of the UN didn't have a pretty good idea about why had gone on and wouldn't require a "Thai Military take overs for 3 year olds explanation"

​The article then goes on to give the usual simplistic Coup excusing reasons

If the newspapers are doing this off their own back to appease the Junta then they are doing them no favours. Its see through Junta Rhetoric for the hard of thinking

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I think the headline is appropriate. The first paragraph describes the UN's actual statements and that is the basis of the headline. The remainder of the article is the same tired military rhetoric that we are force fed on a daily basis.

You have just proved my point, you chose the headline because it suits your rhetoric the other paragraphs do not. Biased to say the least.

You are right. The headline should be more inclusive and read:

What UN leader actually says conflicts with what thai military news reports

Your first line is correct. It conflicts because you want it to. I read the topic and it was fair---the headline stirs up problem posters.

No but the part where they give "Reasons" for the Coup . was not part of the "Discussion" with Moon that the Headline suggests. They are not quotes so why are they there ?

• Like 1

"The government has a clear intention to restore peace for the benefit of public safety," he quoted Prayut as telling the UN chief.

Hmmm...this should be added with....after our own pockets are filled with enough bahts, we will give democracy back to the people. But...but...we will be back again in the years to come....count on it....cause we know our populace and its political representatives.

• Like 2

"Liberal democracy is a form of government in which representative democracy operates under the principles of liberalism, i.e. protecting the rights of the individual, which are generally enshrined in law. It is characterised by fair, free, and competitive elections between multiple distinct political parties, a separation of powers into different branches of government, the rule of law in everyday life as part of an open society, and the equal protection of human rights, civil rights, civil liberties, and political freedoms for all persons. To define the system in practice, liberal democracies often draw upon a constitution, either formally written or uncodified, to delineate the powers of government and enshrine the social contract. After a period of sustained expansion throughout the 20th century, liberal democracy became the predominant political system in the world".

I have nothing to add to this definition from Wikipedia, I do however notice that the word "military" does not appear at all

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Your first line is correct. It conflicts because you want it to. I read the topic and it was fair---the headline stirs up problem posters.

No but the part where they give "Reasons" for the Coup . was not part of the "Discussion" with Moon that the Headline suggests. They are not quotes so why are they there ?

So I take it you do not want to know the real reasons for the coup. You must along with all your followers stick to your plan A and hate the PM.

Not every day I don't no, especially when the explanation is so Simplistic and regurgitated in every mildly critical Media piece to placate the Junta. As I posted earlier I don't hate the PM at all , he appears to have done some good. If they don't doctor the constitution too much one way then he would have served Thailand well. In the mean time throwing rhetoric about as mentioned above imo will do them more harm than good and will make people more cynical to the Juntas ultimate aim

Sounds like Ban Ki - Moon is well aware that Thailand was being held by the barrel of a gun. The gun of which killed over 20 people and injured over 600. Ban Ki - Moon is also well aware that the military came in peacefully, brought all the parties together and told them to resolve their issues. The ball was in the politicians court. They chose not to resolve there issues and the military, without a single bullet fired, not a single loss of life, took control at which time the guns, the bullets, the deaths and the injuries ceased. Ban Ki - Moon is well aware of this and as such acknowledged the most popular PM in the last decade (unless anyone have evidence to show otherwise?)

Just as the UN chief quoted the UN play book when he expressed his concern of martial law and encouraging a prompt return to civilian rule and constitutional order in Fiji he has stated the same thing here and one can have no doubt that just like Fiji, democracy will be restored in Thailand as well with Ban Ki - Moon congratulating the elected PM Prayut upon successfully winning the election (just like he did to the military leader that won the free and fair election in Fiji).

And then of course we have the potential trade agreements with Russia that will offer economic benefits to Thailand as well. Again, an example of the Junta putting the country first and because of this it is ignored by some as it does not suit the PTP narrative. Prayut did not need to travel to a new country every two weeks over 6 months to secure these deals either. Maybe Prayut could open up some trade agreements with the Maldives as well because the last and only official visit in Thailand history to the Maldives only opened up rumors and speculation from the tax payer.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

So I take it you do not want to know the real reasons for the coup. You must along with all your followers stick to your plan A and hate the PM.

We are not allowed to discuss the real reasons for the coup. whistling.gif

PS the headline represents exactly what the UN position is.

The reasons have been there for all to see--re PTP lousy governing-total disregard for Thailand -flouting the law, and failing to stop the red army getting set up to go to BKK---amnesty ??

what more do you want ??

The headline is feeding what the PM dislikers want.

Not every day I don't no, especially when the explanation is so Simplistic and regurgitated in every mildly critical Media piece to placate the Junta. As I posted earlier I don't hate the PM at all , he appears to have done some good. If they don't doctor the constitution too much one way then he would have served Thailand well. In the mean time throwing rhetoric about as mentioned above imo will do them more harm than good and will make people more cynical to the Juntas ultimate aim

Looks to me mate that the most cynical are the ones that show everyday a dislike for the PM on TVF. around the country is a calmer story to the rhetoric on this forum.

Yes even in the old stronghold of UDON THANI. The people are not showing in their everyday lives any animosity ---only on TVF.

There is more freedom of speech up here without the red village control than before. This is true, Thai people are NOT now having to conform to the village head man.

The coup was to remove the Shins from power and to put in place a "democratic" system that would prevent them getting back in power without a lot of hassle, nothing more and that is showing more so day by day.

Ban and the world know this, but too many other problems worldwide to make much of an issue of it while the military are not abusing human rights too much.

Can you explain to us why we should have sympathy for the coup and the junta ?

The coup was to remove the Shins from power and to put in place a "democratic" system that would prevent them getting back in power without a lot of hassle, nothing more and that is showing more so day by day.

Ban and the world know this, but too many other problems worldwide to make much of an issue of it while the military are not abusing human rights too much.

Exactly right. The wrong people kept winning the elections. (by a huge margin.)

Funny thing is, the losers kept crying vote buying but at the same time, denied international election observers.

Resorted to the coup again and again. Create a mob that shuts down an airport or Bangkok and call in their buddies in the Army to prevent a disaster!

The UN and every ambassador stationed in Thailand know whats going on. That's why the General cant get a VISA to the US or dozens of other countries.

• Like 1