Suthep Bestows Decoration On Top Surat Thani Cop

Lite Beer

Suthep Bestows Decoration On Top Surat Thani Cop

By Khaosod Eng.

14159527031415952728l.jpg

SURAT THANI – The deputy commander of the Surat Thani police force has reportedly admitted to receiving a police decoration from the leader of the former anti-government movement, Suthep Thaugsuban.

In a photograph that went viral on the internet this week, Suthep can be seen bestowing the rank of deputy commander to Pol.Maj.Gen. Abhichart Boonsriroj, who was wearing a full uniform for the honour.

Suthep, the former Deputy Prime Minister who quit his post as a Democrat MP to lead six months of protests against the elected government last year, was ordained as a Buddhist monk shortly after the military staged a coup on 22 May 2014.

A number of Redshirts, who supported the former government, have criticised the photo on social media and accused Pol.Maj.Gen. Abhichart of displaying a political bias by giving the decorating honour to the hardcore Yellowshirt activist.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415958350&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-14

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this one of the additional duties of a monk?

I would have been proud even to shake the hand of this monk.

He has saved Thailand from falling into the abyss.

Unfortunately not many men like him around.

He is and always will be a Hero for me.

Don't most forums also have a dislike button?

I believe TV used to have one, but it burnt out with all the morons pushing all the time...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

A number of Redshirts, who supported the former government, have criticised the photo on social media and accused Pol.Maj.Gen. Abhichart of displaying a political bias by giving the decorating honour to the hardcore Yellowshirt activist.

of course lest not forget a certain "gentleman" living in Dubai, who pinned an medal on a Police official (in full uniform) in Hong Kong and the Police official just happened to be on a "private" trip,

so which is worse, political bias ? or receiving a policeman receiving a medal from a convicted criminal ?

I am sure Fab4 will be along shortly to make excuses or brand Suthep a fascist

Come on he deserved a medal for all the evidence he found on the red bull case.

Is this one of the additional duties of a monk?

I would have been proud even to shake the hand of this monk.

He has saved Thailand from falling into the abyss.

Unfortunately not many men like him around.

He is and always will be a Hero for me.

There must be a severe shortage of hero-material in Greece!!

Probably looking for another bale out!

• Like 2

I have no issue with a Buddhist monk bestowing an honorable decoration on this policeman. Thailand is a Buddhist State whose Head of State must be Buddhist.

However, the choice of novice Suthrep as the presenter is problematic given the political and violent taints that follow him. He is still under arraignment for the criminal charge of sedition. There are more respected and senior practioners of Buddhism who have been dedicated to the faith who bear no political or violent taints who could have been called to perform this ceremony.

Whether intentional or not, Suthep's presence is a political statement. If this event goes without government comment, it will further question the sincerity of NCPO claimed nuetrality in its political reforms.

"Army commander General Prayuth Chan-ocha insists on a neutral stance on the current political situation, saying the Army must always stay neutral in politics while continuing to maintain peace and social order ..." - Army spokesman, The Nation 2013-12-17

• Like 2