'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

There should be a warning sign put up in arrivals at the airport warning of the dangers

of bar girls..... Seems to be an endless stream of sad stories like this one.... :-(

On a side note, with lots of Brits dying here, I wonder at what point their government

will step in.

I'm sure most know the dangers but go ahead anyway, so a warning wouldn't make any difference.

With respect, I don't think they do know the dangers or there'd be a lot less mugs being taken to the cleaners.

They get fed the PC line about Asians etc being angels compared to Europeans and so when they arrive overseas they have rose-tinted glasses practically glued over their retinas!

I've seen them swanning about bragging about it, convinced they are 'right-on', 'hip' and 'with-it' as honorary Thais who are reinventing themselves etc etc.

This one kid was in total denial that his house was not his own when he described basically paying a builder to develop some land (he didn't own) and the builders family were basically living there waiting for him to go home!

• Like 1

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well, I'm sure the information I posted will be available in the morning when the rest of the English news catches up.

It is substantiated, but, whatever.

Anyway, RIP to the deceased.

He was a good singer.

As suspected, even the OP news service, Khaosod, has identified the deceased on their Thai language news website as the same identity posted earlier in the thread (and subsequently deleted).

Perhaps later today, their English language news website or another English language news website will do so.

R.I.P.

What a sad story

So when is this girlfriend being arrested?

unfortunately never, there is nothing illegal about being smart or stupid - you can work the rest out for yourself

There probably is a case for some sort of fraud (like the Nigerians recently arrested) but unless you have someone taking the case to court (hint hint) then it's going nowhere and the 10 million baht proceeds will be on a distribution

Died of what ????????? yeh right

There should be a warning sign put up in arrivals at the airport warning of the dangers

of bar girls..... Seems to be an endless stream of sad stories like this one.... :-(

On a side note, with lots of Brits dying here, I wonder at what point their government

will step in.

uk gov?? help something like lets up the P P price and increase the application process time that will stop everything nasty happening

A basic trait of a psychopath is someone has no empathy for other people. There is an element of psycopathic behaviour in many Thais sometimes.

There is zero empirical evidence to suggest that any one nationality has any more incidences of psychopathology than another one.

You seem to think there is could simply be explained by the people you encounter in your own sphere of experience has a higher incidence.

Suggestion: Try experiencing a different circle of associates.

• Like 1

BANGKOK — A British man who reportedly lost 10 million baht in a fraud scheme was found dead in his guesthouse room in Chiang Mai province today.

The description of the particular guesthouse involved indicates just how far the deceased had dropped in financial resources.sad.png

Rooms range in price from 100 Baht (cold water bathroom outside) to 400 baht with hot water, bathroom, and TV.

http://www.chiang-mai.org/inter-inn-hotel.html

• Like 1

A basic trait of a psychopath is someone has no empathy for other people. There is an element of psycopathic behaviour in many Thais sometimes.

There is zero empirical evidence to suggest that any one nationality has any more incidences of psychopathology than another one.

You seem to think there is could simply be explained by the people you encounter in your own sphere of experience has a higher incidence.

I completely disagree. When people talk about the fact that "life is cheap" in Thailand. What do they mean? They mean that people can kill each other in Thailand for apparently minor things.

I have seen Thais scam each other with little fear of consequence of feeling or repercussion. I haven't been scammed myself, but I have seen 3 foreign friends taken to the cleaners and one that it was so obvious it was terrible to watch.

All I said was that a fundamental issue of a psychopath is a lack of empathy for others. The only person I have met that I was convinced was a psychopath was European. He could lie to you about whether the sky was pink or not.

This ability to act with zero compassion for another is to me often common between foreign men and a bad partner in Thailand. The seemingly mild mannered woman will easily gut and skin a farang financially having planned it.

So, if you don't believe its feasible to believe that some women in Thailand will lie to foreign men with a long term plan to scam them, I hope you never get caught out.

You have no idea of the quality of my sphere. When it comes to foreigners, I haven't managed to find too many lords and ladies even in the RBSC.

• Like 1

I completely disagree.

All I said was that a fundamental issue of a psychopath is a lack of empathy for others.

You said more than that.

Read the rest of your own post.

If you disagree with my statement, than I am very willing to review your clinical evidence that one nationality is any more prone to psychopathology than another.

If it's just based on a hunch or your own personal experience, that doesn't qualify as the scientific evidence you implied with your initial post.

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

This is yet another reason that Britons who come to Thailand must be warned about the multitude of scams that are waiting for them.

They get that heat, juicy women and power from the financial clout and think they have the midas touch with x, y and z. There's a midas touch alright, but it ain't the farang who have it when it comes to scams that's for sure!

Goes to show you.....even with a good education, a man can be easily scammed.

Last week, Thai Visa got together and helped another British man get back home...he lost pretty much everything.

I hope others will reach out for advice before they jump into a business/home transaction....and check in periodically.

Sorry this man felt so badly for making his choices. He could have learned from the experience and recovered. The embarrassment can be overcome....and an intelligent man can earn back his money.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

^ ^ Not saying that what happened to this man wasn't terrible or tragic.

Just wished to comment on the inaccurate broad and sweeping statements that were inserted into the discussion.

Not wanting to detract any further from the core discussion, I will end here with, suffice to say, psychopathology is absolutely not nationality based.

Edited by Pierrefun
  • Like 1

Nobody, I think will disagree.

Somebody who walks in with millions of baht, and is not prepared, will be fortunate to walk out at all.

The rich people here have protection, and a network of professionals to ensure they are not duped.

Some farangs think they can copy/emulate that. But it appears to be a thing that you cannot "Buy in to."

One setup/hand washing/finder's fee...leads to another...and so on...and so on. There are so many that want to be brokers on every facet of a sale...transaction... hidden charges, payoffs, promises, but...in the end... they are looking at their own happiness...not yours.

Protect yourself..

It is really not too difficult to be scammed and those of us from good homes with higher educations are the easiest victims because we have little experience with desperate dishonest people. First the con person builds trust, after trust is established anything is possible. In this case believing that she purchased the elephant camp in her name would be easy to fake with a bit of forged docs, then maybe some camp staff were in on it to fool him further. This would be a very attractive dream, live and work in a lovely area have foreign volunteers to help for free and live with you lovely Thai partner there.... nice dream...

Nice dream...true.

I hope people trust the posters (even the negative ones) a bit more. It never hurts to know what can happen. It only hurts after it does.

Is there any evidence to show that he actually had such a large amount of money 10 million which she swildled and sent him to alcohol? Or was he addicted to alcohol already and she took whatever he had and his claims of 10 million are exaggerated?