'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

Same old buffalo wine, brand new elephant bottle.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

A very sad story indeed, but as a graduate from Oxford how can you "buy" something without a piece of proof of ownership??

Anyone interested in my Sydney Bridge?? To prove that everything is correct, I will let you paint the bridge!!

Sorry mate: you need a work permit to paint the bridge, plus current visa, 90 day reporting up to date.

However, the apparent suicide is sad, and there are so many of us who fall foul of those who think we're ATMs and unlimited funds.

The reason they think you are an ATM is that you hand out money. If you demonstrate generosity it is a sign of foolishness and the locals realize that somebody is going to tap your resources so they move to acquire your money before somebody else does. They are not taking your money when you are willingly giving it.

An elephant breeding scheme.

Now theres a winner!

Gestation period of 18 mths or thereabouts.

The Industrial revolution and the invention of the internal combustion engine!

And a lot of unemployed elephants.

A few good reasons to pass on that one!

I think we have to await later news. I doubt this guy was an Oxford grad. How would the Thai police know this? I doubt he was wearing his cap and gown at the time of death. Also, the name given in Khaosod is , an unusual name for a Brit. The police or the reporter may have cocked that up. The article said he was from Canada where he had reportedly moved. Found at the Inter Inn just off Loi Kroh yesterday.

By reading and hearing others stories, it's almost as if you can apply it to ones own situation while observing how ppl try to subtly con or identify red flags.

Question:

In environments similar to this: Philippines, Cambodia, Brazil, Cuba, Costa Rica and so on. Are the stories similar in nature or as frequent? Or does Thailand have the exclusive rights to this? I would think Phils would be up there too as it's probably a numbers game.

Weirdly enough, a bar girl once told me she was once fleeced 3 million baht by her foreign bf.

The woman who did it won't be arrested. Just another con in LOS.

Very sad but all too common here.

I believe the poster was being rhetorical huh.png Anyhoo, there won't be any charges as the potential complainant is unable to pursue a prosecution, what with being dead and all ...

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

What a waste of a young life.

Whatever drove him to excessive drinking doesn't justify the loss of his life.

RIP young man, hope you find calm and tranquillity where you have gone now.

Sad indeed, the loss of a large sum of money has driven many people to their death. It must be a horrible situation when you realize you lost a lot of money, especially through fraud, but you just have to deal with it and move on with your life.

I see some of my friends in the US that lost large sums in the 2008 real estate crash still struggling with it mentally. Thinking about it constantly, it is so much negative thinking it seems to have a bad effect on their physical and mental health. For some it is just too much grief to handle, RIP.

Detachment is the answer to their problems.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." As Rhett Butler said to Scarlett O'Hara.

If there is really something like karma I hope this woman will somehow and somewhere face it..... too bad that thai justice has not been made for cheated foreigners only for thais cheated by foreigners....

Amen Brother!

The recent story of the Nigerians that conned the Thai women come to mind.

With respect, I don't think they do know the dangers or there'd be a lot less mugs being taken to the cleaners.

Look at the viewing numbers on YT or this forum with 'sex trade/bar girls and Thailand' in the title and come back and tell me every man and his dog on this planet is unaware of the dangers of 'business deals' with Thai hos blink.png

Not to mention that any alluding to the sex trade and the dangers thereof are routinely ignored/sidelined on this forum.

Edited by jpeg

By reading and hearing others stories, it's almost as if you can apply it to ones own situation while observing how ppl try to subtly con or identify red flags.

Question:

In environments similar to this: Philippines, Cambodia, Brazil, Cuba, Costa Rica and so on. Are the stories similar in nature or as frequent? Or does Thailand have the exclusive rights to this? I would think Phils would be up there too as it's probably a numbers game.

Weirdly enough, a bar girl once told me she was once fleeced 3 million baht by her foreign bf.

Phillies are double more over in global news(as well in violent crime stats) - as the criminal element there tend to kidnap in broad daylight, and then broadcast their demands thru media, to acquire needed assets. But it's just your perception - ones seem to be interested in their own habitat :)

You've got to give it to these bar girls. They can run rings around even educated farangs. Obviously Western education isn't much use out in the real world.

Running an elephant breeding center. Come on, how could anyone fall for that one?

Oxford offers no degrees in StreetSmarts.

Why would some guy give 300,000 dollars to a hooker? Blows my mind.

Quite a lot of foreigners don't know who is and who isn't a hooker.

Look at the posters on this forum with the half-chinese, educated business women as partners.

Sad story, but not every relationship ends well.

(Should that be 'hardly any' in place of 'not every')

90% are for sale, and Im not kidding

For some, that's the best part of Thailand. As they say, just rent, don't buy.

• Like 1

You've got to give it to these bar girls. They can run rings around even educated farangs. Obviously Western education isn't much use out in the real world.

Running an elephant breeding center. Come on, how could anyone fall for that one?

Oxford offers no degrees in StreetSmarts.

Best comment on the thread.

No, Oxford doesn't give degrees in street-smarts, but places like Thailand do.

That's why we're here... earning our post-graduate degrees.

• Like 1

What a sad story

So when is this girlfriend being arrested?

Even if this happened in the US, UK, Japan or any other country, I seriously doubt police can find anything to have a case against her. In the eyes of law, he just willingly gave her the money. Unless there are any contract or documents to prove otherwise. Zero evidence on what this money was supposed to be spent on and his words against her words = no case.

Without any form of protection on his investment, he blindly gave his money to the bar girl. THE BAR GIRL. That says it all.

He probably gave most of his money. Felt very miserable, upset, and ashamed. Kept drinking to the extent he died from alchohol poisoning. Losing money and then alchohol. Sounds like a typical case happens worldwide. No conspiracy here.

• Like 2

An Oxford graduate conned by a Thai bar girl.

Another Quality Tourist!

who the <deleted> are you to say that?

only yesterday the Nigerians were being arrested for conning money from thai ladies on facebook

whats the betting that nothing will hasppen to this thai lady?

like i said in a post a couple of days ago thailand is a cesspit full of lies deceit and corruption

all it has to offer is sunshine,cheap cost of living and available women

dont expect justice here

I'll give a little insight shall I? I was duped out of 14m in my first years here. No matter how bright one is, there's always a way.

I got married... bought 2 large houses (in her name of course), a new Audi, (in her name of course), and this was AFTER she had had our BABY... yes baby. Married with baby, together 2 years. I thought I had a great life. I was working in China, earning well as a consultant. I was flying back and forth every 8 weeks. Into year 3, I flew back to Thailand, went home........ and... somebody I didn't know answered my door. She had sold both houses, emptied our JOINT bank account, and done a runner with my kid.

All my hard work and savings..... yes, I too went into a depression, but I never for once thought of suicide. I decided to make a comeback and get off my ass and fight on.

I did, and eventually met a fine woman, highly educated, as I waited and chose very carefully. Married 7 years now.... nice new home and new car, wife's a lecturer at Uni.

It is easy to be duped; my ex had it planned for 3 whole goddarned years..... including baby... to entice me to depart with my savings.

However, suicide was not an option for me. It's a shame for some, who just can't face such a loss. Don't, please, take the proverbial out of this young man; it can happen to anybody, especially if well planned! sad.png

I am sorry to contradict you on this - but no. Well planned or not, it really cannot happen to anybody. For starters, the day I buy a property here I would make damn certain that it requires both signatures on the sale document. If that is not possible, I simply wouldn't do it. I have been married and divorced here, a joint account was, is and always will be totally out of the question.

As for my divorce and settlement, it cost me the grand total of 45 baht. We had a child too, but I obtained full custody.

All of this while living here permanently, 12 months a year. If I was working abroad? Absolutely zero chance of me trusting any Thai girl, no matter how plausible, no matter how apparently genuine her feelings for me.

There is a reason why it does not happen to everybody.

Good post.

Only the fools rush in... and a lot of the farangs here are just that.