'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad story

So when is this girlfriend being arrested?

they found the nigerians fast enough last week,this is 1 of the 2million thai women that do the same.

will she be arrested? will they recover any of the money?

who's looking for her?

do pigs fly?

• Like 2

An Oxford graduate .....

is told an elephant breeding sanctuary is a good buy ....

departs with his 10 million baht ....

is working at the sanctuary thinking he owns it .....

the thai girl does a runner with his 10 million baht ....

police statement indicates he died of alcoholic poisoning ...

I don't by this story ..... surely no one could be that naive .... blink.png

My point as well.

First time in Thailand? How Old? What was his background? What job did he hold back in Britain? Was he an alcoholic (yes, educated people might be) ...

His age....???

I do respect his family...and sad for this outcome...but how do we educate the educated?

I'll give a little insight shall I? I was duped out of 14m in my first years here. No matter how bright one is, there's always a way.

I got married... bought 2 large houses (in her name of course), a new Audi, (in her name of course), and this was AFTER she had had our BABY... yes baby. Married with baby, together 2 years. I thought I had a great life. I was working in China, earning well as a consultant. I was flying back and forth every 8 weeks. Into year 3, I flew back to Thailand, went home........ and... somebody I didn't know answered my door. She had sold both houses, emptied our JOINT bank account, and done a runner with my kid.

All my hard work and savings..... yes, I too went into a depression, but I never for once thought of suicide. I decided to make a comeback and get off my ass and fight on.

I did, and eventually met a fine woman, highly educated, as I waited and chose very carefully. Married 7 years now.... nice new home and new car, wife's a lecturer at Uni.

It is easy to be duped; my ex had it planned for 3 whole goddarned years..... including baby... to entice me to depart with my savings.

However, suicide was not an option for me. It's a shame for some, who just can't face such a loss. Don't, please, take the proverbial out of this young man; it can happen to anybody, especially if well planned! sad.png

I am sorry to contradict you on this - but no. Well planned or not, it really cannot happen to anybody. For starters, the day I buy a property here I would make damn certain that it requires both signatures on the sale document. If that is not possible, I simply wouldn't do it. I have been married and divorced here, a joint account was, is and always will be totally out of the question.

As for my divorce and settlement, it cost me the grand total of 45 baht. We had a child too, but I obtained full custody.

All of this while living here permanently, 12 months a year. If I was working abroad? Absolutely zero chance of me trusting any Thai girl, no matter how plausible, no matter how apparently genuine her feelings for me.

There is a reason why it does not happen to everybody.

Once bitten, twice shy!

Of course, now I have my own accounts, and house is in joint names. My car is in my name, her car is in hers.....Easier said second time round.

• Like 1

^ ^ Not saying that what happened to this man wasn't terrible or tragic.

Just wished to comment on the inaccurate broad and sweeping statements that were inserted into the discussion.

Not wanting to detract any further from the core discussion, I will end here with, suffice to say, psychopathology is absolutely not nationality based.

Maybe it is cultural then. Duh......

RIP

I hope this fraudster is arrested and made to pay for the life she has destroyed, no matter how silly the guy had been.

Hard to suggest that she destroyed his life, he has responsibility. Many people have lost all their money and been looked down on but gone on to make new lives for themselves.

Just wished to comment on the inaccurate broad and sweeping statements that were inserted into the discussion.

Not wanting to detract any further from the core discussion, I will end here with, suffice to say, psychopathology is absolutely not nationality based.

It is not.

Try to understand the word "psychopathology" before misusing it (which started all of this). Duh...

Edited by Pierrefun
  • Like 1

Why would some guy give 300,000 dollars to a hooker? Blows my mind.

Quite a lot of foreigners don't know who is and who isn't a hooker.

Look at the posters on this forum with the half-chinese, educated business women as partners.

Sad story, but not every relationship ends well.

(Should that be 'hardly any' in place of 'not every')

Quite a lot of foreigners don't know who is and who isn't a hooker.

Look at the posters on this forum with the half-chinese, educated business women as partners.

Sad story, but not every relationship ends well.

(Should that be 'hardly any' in place of 'not every')

90% are for sale, and Im not kidding
  • Like 2

what is truly frightening is,

the Thai police apparently know who the female swindler is,

but she wasn't paraded on TV with a re-enactment,

she wasn't arrested

she wasn't even named

what is that exactly?

he is dead, so there is no crime?

did he report the crime?

Re-enact what? What's the crime? It's a civil matter. No one killed the man. He drank himself to death.

I am sure, at one point, some document will be pulled out.

The document will be an affidavit...signed by the victim...that the money was not his....but belonged to the girl/cohort/whatever.

Then the property/business was sold to her.

Case closed. If he signed that...then it was money lost.

What she does, if somebody should take her to court, is to find a reputable (lol), overseas, or local business, to reverse launder that. Perhaps a gift from an aunt overseas. or income from a family business in Bangkok...etc...etc.

gone gone gone. He was led down the path, but he drank the water himself.

Edited by slipperylobster

It is not.

Try to understand the word "psychopathology" be misusing it (which started all of this). Duh...

If you don't recognise that a common trait of psycopathology is a lack of empathy for other and that this is can be seen in Thailand quite commonly, that's up to you.

Next time you are on the bus and you ask the driver to slow down, and he mumbles "farang bpaa". Just chalk it up to cukture. I guess if he wraps u round a tree it doesn't matter if its thainess or mild psycopathic behaviour if you are dead.

I beleive Thainess, particularly regarding their treatment of farangs, exhibits mild psycopathic traits.

Instead of arguing blindly that it can't be true, I would prefer you give me some good examples, because the news in Thailand is chock full of stories daily that show an absolute disdain for a fellow human being.

A good place to look for understanding the word is a dictionary.

Not only will it tell you the true meaning (which is not how you have been misusing it), but it will also correct your misspelling of it.

Seriously, I think you've sufficiently driven the issue into the ground.

Best to move on to some other aspect of this incident. wink.png

• Like 2

It is not.

Try to understand the word "psychopathology" before misusing it (which started all of this). Duh...

Go off and do some reading. One of the most commonly written of traits of psychopathic behaviour is a lack of empathy and care for others. Most of us have pulled the wings of a bug. Some have randomly done some hurtful things. The most extreme is Jeffry Dahmer.

Its in the first chapter of any manual on psycopaths. If you cannot see that portraying a fraud on the lines like this, with an elaborate lie with the ability to braznely walk away, isn't in line with mildly psycopathic behaviour, up to you.

Or is it the behaviour of a caring sensitive person.

A good portion of Thais will eat up a foreigner and spit him out just because he is a foreigner. Believing anything else is naive in the extreme.

Whilst you are busy defending the rational, loving and caring culture why don't you scott over to the thread where the pauper just got fined 150k for flogging CDs he got from the tip.

Yeah right. It would be better that the judge is a psychopath because there is no legal logic in that decision.

Edited by Thai at Heart

A good portion of Thais will eat up a foreigner and spit him out just because he is a foreigner. Believing anything else is naive in the extreme. summed up, taught to Thais from a young age.

Edited by kingalfred

You may as well ask why so many faring males on this website marry Thai women of little or no education, with whom they have absolutely no cultural or intellectual empathy. The answer in one word is 'poon'. And as stated elsewhere, male hormones are no respecters of age, class, racial,

cultural or educational background.

RIP to the man in question.

• Like 2

It is not.

Try to understand the word "psychopathology" be misusing it (which started all of this). Duh...

If you don't recognise that a common trait of psycopathology is a lack of empathy for other and that this is can be seen in Thailand quite commonly, that's up to you.

Next time you are on the bus and you ask the driver to slow down, and he mumbles "farang bpaa". Just chalk it up to cukture. I guess if he wraps u round a tree it doesn't matter if its thainess or mild psycopathic behaviour if you are dead.

I beleive Thainess, particularly regarding their treatment of farangs, exhibits mild psycopathic traits.

Instead of arguing blindly that it can't be true, I would prefer you give me some good examples, because the news in Thailand is chock full of stories daily that show an absolute disdain for a fellow human being.

A good place to look for understanding the word is a dictionary.

Not only will it tell you the true meaning (which is not how you have been misusing it), but it will also correct your misspelling of it.

Seriously, I think you've sufficiently driven the issue into the ground.

Best to move on to some other aspect of this incident. wink.png

You can say as well.....i agree with you.....as you seem to do because your last resort is argueing semantics and not content.

Firstly, of course, this is a very sad story of a young man who potentially had so much of his life ahead of him.

However, if he really was an oxford graduate he should have known better than to "invest" 10 million baht without any due diligence on his part.

Sometimes we can't help who we fall in love with, but in Thailand (and indeed most of the world) if you are dumb enough to give money away to someone with a story then it's really only a matter of time till it's all gone.

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

A very sad story indeed, but as a graduate from Oxford how can you "buy" something without a piece of proof of ownership??

Anyone interested in my Sydney Bridge?? To prove that everything is correct, I will let you paint the bridge!!

Sorry mate: you need a work permit to paint the bridge, plus current visa, 90 day reporting up to date.

However, the apparent suicide is sad, and there are so many of us who fall foul of those who think we're ATMs and unlimited funds.