'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

So I assume that he believed every word his gf said and never bothered to.check ownership documents because he was so in love.

I guessing that this kind of fraud against naive farangs happen on a weekly basis here, if not more often.

RIP

Not just about the gf and not just about Thais.I have friends who bought from the developer and signed the contacts that were all in thai! Never bothered to get a translation total trust because it was a non thai developer from their own country, selling in their country,then they realise they are on 30 year leases..that are not renewable..and have a depreciating assets that they have over paid for...

• Like 1

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

A very sad story indeed, but as a graduate from Oxford how can you "buy" something without a piece of proof of ownership??

Anyone interested in my Sydney Bridge?? To prove that everything is correct, I will let you paint the bridge!!

Not everyone is as smart, worldly, coherent, aware and knowing as some. Graduation from a prestigious institution does not eliminate the possibility of falling prey to scams and illegal schemes.

The various victims of Bernie Madoff were highly educated, experienced and supposedly savy concerning investments. The criminal often becomes close enough to the victim to get them to "paint the bridge".

RIP to the Dear Man.

• Like 2

what is truly frightening is,

the Thai police apparently know who the female swindler is,

but she wasn't paraded on TV with a re-enactment,

she wasn't arrested

she wasn't even named

what is that exactly?

he is dead, so there is no crime?

did he report the crime?

No crime was committed because no crime was reported. Money was asked for and a person was convinced or persuaded to hand it over willingly. There is probably no documentation to state otherwise.

The police, on the other hand, make this even more sterile because we all know how determined they get when the demand for genuine detective work comes to the forefront: this, aside from their known incompetence, corruption, graft, malfeasance, and so on and so on, ad nausea.

Yet even justice - in its magnificence - has its limitations, when those whom it would protect, ignorantly and/or stupidly bolt out from under its wings and run right into the waiting maws of danger.

Have you ever heard of fraud? Maybe you would like to brush up on that particular law which also exists, believe it or not, in Thailand. You cannot sell someone a car, take their money and then give them a grain of rice and say they handed the money over willingly. I am certain the guy was cheated into believing something very far from the truth and acted on those beliefs - the cheating lying scumbags who lied to him and who assisted and conspired are all guilty of fraud or conspiracy to defraud however you look at it.

• Like 2

Ex Public School boys are easily conned when they're out of their comfort zone. No 'street smarts'.

No-one is "street smart" until they've experienced the "streets", regardless of whether they are ex-public schoolboys or ex-state schoolboys.

What makes you think he was an ex-public schoolboy anyway?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another sad tale..... I must admit my financial status cannot be compared to " Donald Trump " in fact quite the opposite but even if things became critical for myself i could never hit the drink ( as i don't drink ) as a last " back up plan " i would become a Monk. I enjoy all the Buddha things and the temples and my life at present can hardly be described as " Rock n' Roll but i am extremely happy living a simple life here in Thailand.( in fact i can be " Irritatingly Chirpy " .... )

Of course not all Thai ladies are the same but 95 percent of them are " caught up in this materialistic way of life " where they seem to think money is they key to happiness! It should be noted viewers that i have had in the past " luxury sports cars " ( as seen on Top Gear ) hilltop luxury pads over looking the Ocean and " a big enough wadge to choke a donkey " but it never made me any happier! When you live a simple life here in Thailand on an " all in budget of just 6000 baht a month " not only do you really appreciate the simple things in life but you start to realize that " The Best things in life are free " ( very true ) I am 50 years old and been single for most of my life and for now it will be staying that way................

Farang Jaideewai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

As easy it sounds but you really have to explain how you can live here with 6000THB per month? And probably there is a thai law or regulation which does not allow you as farang to spend so less money in this country smile.png I mean honestly I have some moments where I spend only 2-3k THB per week because I want to diet and try to eat less as possible but even then 2-3k THB per week, not to mention fixed costs like rental, utilities, insurance, internet, mobile phone....

There is No Law in Thailand to say how much money a farang has to live on! I have lived on 6,000 baht a month for a long time ( my rent is 2000 baht a month inc fast internet and Sat TV ) it's my business and my choice the way i wish to live in Thailand.If you don't drink or smoke then it is quite straight forward!

Farang Jaideewai2.gif

• Like 1

Quite a lot of foreigners don't know who is and who isn't a hooker.

Look at the posters on this forum with the half-chinese, educated business women as partners.

Sad story, but not every relationship ends well.

(Should that be 'hardly any' in place of 'not every')

90% are for sale, and Im not kidding

Just goes to show that in addition to your willingness to slur and denigrate 90% of Thai women, you do not know your arse from your elbow. And I'm not kidding.

Nah! He is being realistic when it comes to the issues that are bought up on this forum.most issues are driven by foreigners who don't know who they are marrying, no understanding of the culture or language ,most are from rural poor backgrounds many will be ex- bar girls.

I use the word most not all and not a few.

Sure 90% plus are not like that, but based on the other 10% most are married to much older foreigners , not all but many .

AOA words can be harsh and sometimes extreme ( and sometimes out of order) but that's reality for many/most older foreigners here.

It offends me greatly when I read stuff about thai women being called hookers etc on here as I have a half thai daughter, but when I walked thru pattaya/ jomtien, or anywhere where there are many farangs AOA is correct.

• Like 2

Its fraud and she should be prosecuted , Otherwise this is a very morally sick country.

I`d say option b.

We all have to trust someone sometime. Sometimes that will be our Thai partner, even knowing the risks.

It takes a while, even for an Oxford grad, to grasp the upside down morality and levels of everyday duplicity

common here. We learn the Police are just another gang and that the `law` such that it is favours the Thais,

We have no rights per se, not even those of paying customers!

Middle class euro/us standards of basic honesty, integrity, of knowing between right and wrong, seem rare here. Different value systems.If it suits me today to betray my life partner of last xx+years, so be it. It just shows how smart I am and my friends will admire my cunning. Many hoped Buddhist values would compensate but all too rarely. We have though all experienced wonderful acts of kindness and generosity from Thais at many levels but usually the poorer folk.

There but for the grace of God go any of us. He probably tried to do the right thing by everyone. He suffered, now he`s brown bread. Alcohol, symptom or cause or both? Could have happened to a non drinker too I guess. 38 years old, so sad yet again.

Edited by heyexile
  • Like 2

DId you know that if you forcebly insert a bottle of mekong whisky into someones rectum and give them an alcohol enema, that it will poison them because it isn't filtered by the liver?

No? Sounds like an obvious suicide then.

tosh!

So, I take it you have tried whiskey up the bum and survived? Hey, I'm not judging. It's cool.

DId you know that if you forcebly insert a bottle of mekong whisky into someones rectum and give them an alcohol enema, that it will poison them because it isn't filtered by the liver?

No? Sounds like an obvious suicide then.

tosh!

So, I take it you have tried whiskey up the bum and survived? Hey, I'm not judging. It's cool.

it still is broken down by the liver

how do you think the french take their medication

A morally sick country with morally sick foreigners . Great combo.

Its fraud and she should be prosecuted , Otherwise this is a very morally sick country.

It is a morally sick country.

You're a party to such then, are you?

You certainly don't sound a happy man??

Probably not, there are loads of people posting who don't live here.

Usually the envious and bitter type.

This is a terrible tragedy. sad.png (the guys death)

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

You've got to give it to these bar girls. They can run rings around even educated farangs. Obviously Western education isn't much use out in the real world.

Running an elephant breeding center. Come on, how could anyone fall for that one?

he was just not lucky to found the eggs in the breeding nest !!

RIP

As sad as it is to say, there is a lot of difference between being academically clever and smart.

It is a very sad case of being blinded by love (pronounced <whatever>, spelt <whatever>).

An idea may be logically sound, but a person can sometimes not relate the potholes they are stumbling on the path towards the end goal as being relevant to the overall outcome.

RIP

Theres moral sickness everywhere. Its the human condition. Its not restricted to LOS.

• Like 2

what is truly frightening is,

the Thai police apparently know who the female swindler is,

but she wasn't paraded on TV with a re-enactment,

she wasn't arrested

she wasn't even named

what is that exactly?

he is dead, so there is no crime?

did he report the crime?

No crime was committed because no crime was reported. Money was asked for and a person was convinced or persuaded to hand it over willingly. There is probably no documentation to state otherwise.

The police, on the other hand, make this even more sterile because we all know how determined they get when the demand for genuine detective work comes to the forefront: this, aside from their known incompetence, corruption, graft, malfeasance, and so on and so on, ad nausea.

Yet even justice - in its magnificence - has its limitations, when those whom it would protect, ignorantly and/or stupidly bolt out from under its wings and run right into the waiting maws of danger.

Have you ever heard of fraud? Maybe you would like to brush up on that particular law which also exists, believe it or not, in Thailand. You cannot sell someone a car, take their money and then give them a grain of rice and say they handed the money over willingly. I am certain the guy was cheated into believing something very far from the truth and acted on those beliefs - the cheating lying scumbags who lied to him and who assisted and conspired are all guilty of fraud or conspiracy to defraud however you look at it.

I completely agree with you. I was basing my answer on the limited, reliable expectations of this culture.

What I mean is, fraud does not exist in this culture beyond the scope of your excellent definition, and moreover only exists within the bounds of how the Thai people interpret the exercise that you label as fraud. They label it differently.

With regards to the definition of fraud in this culture, that definition can simply be interpreted by the amount of money involved with the effort towards said interpretation, and any contributing factors and variables which might go with.

Hence, fraud does not exist in this culture beyond the scope of money involved with the effort towards said interpretation, and any contributing factors and variables which might go with.

I agree with you, but that is not the way it is, and hence an exercise in futility to address. That is why it sounds like bashing and cynicism... but what else - besides cold hard reality - is available when addressing "Thainess" issues?

Conclusion: My original post stands.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. I can only imagine the heartbreak he was going through when he lost both his money and his loved one at the same time under those circumstances. I once heard a man describe his mental condition as that of being in a state of "pitiful, incomprehensible demoralization". I heard another man describe his condition as that of "being trapped in a body with a brain that had turned against him". This young man had probably seen a beautiful future ahead of him. When I hear the many stories like this since coming to Thailand I sometimes wonder would some sort of Help Line be of any benefit, at least it might be a place to share your story with a sympathetic ear listening and maybe gain a bit of hope with some sound counselling. Unfortunately, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem...... May he R.I.P.

• Like 1

I'll give a little insight shall I? I was duped out of 14m in my first years here. No matter how bright one is, there's always a way.

I got married... bought 2 large houses (in her name of course), a new Audi, (in her name of course), and this was AFTER she had had our BABY... yes baby. Married with baby, together 2 years. I thought I had a great life. I was working in China, earning well as a consultant. I was flying back and forth every 8 weeks. Into year 3, I flew back to Thailand, went home........ and... somebody I didn't know answered my door. She had sold both houses, emptied our JOINT bank account, and done a runner with my kid.

All my hard work and savings..... yes, I too went into a depression, but I never for once thought of suicide. I decided to make a comeback and get off my ass and fight on.

I did, and eventually met a fine woman, highly educated, as I waited and chose very carefully. Married 7 years now.... nice new home and new car, wife's a lecturer at Uni.

It is easy to be duped; my ex had it planned for 3 whole goddarned years..... including baby... to entice me to depart with my savings.

However, suicide was not an option for me. It's a shame for some, who just can't face such a loss. Don't, please, take the proverbial out of this young man; it can happen to anybody, especially if well planned! sad.png

Very sorry to hear that, but glad you battled back and are happier now. I know a guy who lost his job and then ended up losing his job and now is living in the front room of his Aunt's house. He is a qualified professional but his lack of a positive mindset and always feeling sorry for himself has resulted in him being a "broken man" according to a mutual friend!

Life does throw a curve ball from time to time but it's how you deal with it that makes the difference. Commerce wouldn't let it beat him, the guy I know didn't take that approach and focuses too much on what went wrong, rather than focusing his efforts on getting a job, etc! I've been in a similar situation without work but I've not let it ruin my life as the guy I know has let it ruin his.

• Like 2