'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

An Oxford graduate and still swindled by a girl presumably with little or no education. Why do so many guys seem to forget or lose all common sense because of a 'bit of skirt' with nice legs. Plenty more fish in the sea.

plenty of fish yep, 90% piranhas
  • Like 2

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Education doesn't teach you common sense, most of the streetwise people I know and have come into contact with throughout my life, barely finished school and didn't attend much when they were supposed to be there. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of people being conned in other countries, even, god forbid, 'western' countries, so it's not only a Thai thing. Actually, I have a certain amount of respect for those who pull some of the stunts that I read about over here, but as someone else already wrote, love sometimes makes you blind to the truth. And there's nothing quite like a pretty girl to make you think more with the trouser snake than the brain.

All of that said, it's a sad ending to a young life. RIP mate.

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

What a waste of a young life.

Whatever drove him to excessive drinking doesn't justify the loss of his life.

RIP young man, hope you find calm and tranquillity where you have gone now.

Sad indeed, the loss of a large sum of money has driven many people to their death. It must be a horrible situation when you realize you lost a lot of money, especially through fraud, but you just have to deal with it and move on with your life.

I see some of my friends in the US that lost large sums in the 2008 real estate crash still struggling with it mentally. Thinking about it constantly, it is so much negative thinking it seems to have a bad effect on their physical and mental health. For some it is just too much grief to handle, RIP.

It may have been the loss of money, or it may have been simply so ashamed of himself. I know if I was tricked out of that much money I would be giving myself uppercuts every day.

actually,

my last wife's father was an oxford graduate

looking back now,

they were all pretty stupid

Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron was an Oxford graduate, and he is no fool. LOL

Oxford and Cambrigde are proof that universities can be first class and second rate at the same time.

The Oxford angle has been overplayed in this reporting. There is no reasoning with a person in love with somebody who is out to get them. Love is a type of mental illness that the B-girls recognize and use to their absolute advantage. There is no remorse and he shouldn't of expected any. No sympathy would have been offered. It's a nasty little world out there. Most people actually enjoy the failure of others and if they had a drinking problem that gives them something to pin it on. Most of the local people around her and the incident will see her as 'intelligent' having pulled off such a scam and him deserving of his fate for being so naive. I don't buy that. Nobody deserves to be punished for trying to do what is in their mind the right thing to do..

Yes, he could of pulled himself out of it. It usually just takes the right person at the right time to say the right thing and the penny drops.

If he had been on one of these forums he may have seen the wood for the trees.

Interesting angle in the American woman who helped comfort him. I take this as spin by the government to put some of the the blame somewhere outside of the nation. Would be interesting to hear her take on things.

But he should have kept going. My heart is with his family and friends.

It's important to keep in mind that women don't just pull this kinda scam on foreign men. I recall speaking with a taxi driver here in Bangkok years ago. He had gotten a job in Saudi and sent most of his earnings back home to his wife each month for a few years. when he returned to Thailand his wife was gone as was the money. I asked him how that made him feel. He shrugged his shoulders and said. "I was stupid."

That guy lost it all and winded up driving a taxi.

This guy could have got a teaching position or whatever and kept on going.

As Churchill said - "When in hell, keep going."

• Like 2

They really don't want to say that suicide word again, do they.

So many dying, with strange circumstances. I think 3 or 4 just in these 2 weeks.

Nothing strange about this one.

Just another guy who drank too much.

Got swindled by a Thai bargirl with a 6th grade education.

Finally drank himself to death.

Alcohol is an equal opportunity killer--it kills Oxford grads just as easy as it does guys born into abject poverty.

Tough break--was likely the sort who thought he was spending his fortune helping one of the worlds endangered animals.

Condolences.

Being educated doesn't necessarily mean you have common sense. Like too many of us, he let a wet spot determine his fate. However, I wouldn't call it a fortune, about GDP194k, probably the average annual salary for an Oxfordie 15 years after graduation.

Doubt it.Most will not reach that level nor is a high salary the main objective for many.As a Cambridge graduate I would guess the average salary for a 40 year old Oxbridge graduate to be about Pnds 60,000.

Those who referred to alcohol as having something to do with the guy being scammed make a good point. even if the deceased is an oxford graduate, the alcohol could make him agree to many unwholesome things.

alcohol can bring those with the highest education or no education down to the same sewer.

When a wisp of a girl, looks at you, with eyes that seem to notice only you. There she is, in a place full of wicked men. But here you are....a good man. Somebody that can be her knight. The best part is, she is beautiful. You never had this. It borders on forbidden...but there it is. All yours. Make an offer. Perhaps....your "final" one.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

They really don't want to say that suicide word again, do they.

So many dying, with strange circumstances. I think 3 or 4 just in these 2 weeks.

Nothing strange about this one.

Just another guy who drank too much.

Got swindled by a Thai bargirl with a 6th grade education.

Finally drank himself to death.

Alcohol is an equal opportunity killer--it kills Oxford grads just as easy as it does guys born into abject poverty.

Tough break--was likely the sort who thought he was spending his fortune helping one of the worlds endangered animals.

Condolences.

And he was an Oxford grad? Sixth grade education must be pretty good in Thailand, or Oxford is very pathetic,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another sad tale..... I must admit my financial status cannot be compared to " Donald Trump " in fact quite the opposite but even if things became critical for myself i could never hit the drink ( as i don't drink ) as a last " back up plan " i would become a Monk. I enjoy all the Buddha things and the temples and my life at present can hardly be described as " Rock n' Roll but i am extremely happy living a simple life here in Thailand.( in fact i can be " Irritatingly Chirpy " .... )

Of course not all Thai ladies are the same but 95 percent of them are " caught up in this materialistic way of life " where they seem to think money is they key to happiness! It should be noted viewers that i have had in the past " luxury sports cars " ( as seen on Top Gear ) hilltop luxury pads over looking the Ocean and " a big enough wadge to choke a donkey " but it never made me any happier! When you live a simple life here in Thailand on an " all in budget of just 6000 baht a month " not only do you really appreciate the simple things in life but you start to realize that " The Best things in life are free " ( very true ) I am 50 years old and been single for most of my life and for now it will be staying that way................

Farang Jaideewai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

As easy it sounds but you really have to explain how you can live here with 6000THB per month? And probably there is a thai law or regulation which does not allow you as farang to spend so less money in this country smile.png I mean honestly I have some moments where I spend only 2-3k THB per week because I want to diet and try to eat less as possible but even then 2-3k THB per week, not to mention fixed costs like rental, utilities, insurance, internet, mobile phone....

There is No Law in Thailand to say how much money a farang has to live on! I have lived on 6,000 baht a month for a long time ( my rent is 2000 baht a month inc fast internet and Sat TV ) it's my business and my choice the way i wish to live in Thailand.If you don't drink or smoke then it is quite straight forward!

Farang Jaideewai2.gif

Just 4000 baht a month for food, electricity, drinking water, clothing and daily essentials like soap, shampoo, deoderants, etc for month after month?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another sad tale..... I must admit my financial status cannot be compared to " Donald Trump " in fact quite the opposite but even if things became critical for myself i could never hit the drink ( as i don't drink ) as a last " back up plan " i would become a Monk. I enjoy all the Buddha things and the temples and my life at present can hardly be described as " Rock n' Roll but i am extremely happy living a simple life here in Thailand.( in fact i can be " Irritatingly Chirpy " .... )

Of course not all Thai ladies are the same but 95 percent of them are " caught up in this materialistic way of life " where they seem to think money is they key to happiness! It should be noted viewers that i have had in the past " luxury sports cars " ( as seen on Top Gear ) hilltop luxury pads over looking the Ocean and " a big enough wadge to choke a donkey " but it never made me any happier! When you live a simple life here in Thailand on an " all in budget of just 6000 baht a month " not only do you really appreciate the simple things in life but you start to realize that " The Best things in life are free " ( very true ) I am 50 years old and been single for most of my life and for now it will be staying that way................

Farang Jaideewai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

As easy it sounds but you really have to explain how you can live here with 6000THB per month? And probably there is a thai law or regulation which does not allow you as farang to spend so less money in this country smile.png I mean honestly I have some moments where I spend only 2-3k THB per week because I want to diet and try to eat less as possible but even then 2-3k THB per week, not to mention fixed costs like rental, utilities, insurance, internet, mobile phone....

There is No Law in Thailand to say how much money a farang has to live on! I have lived on 6,000 baht a month for a long time ( my rent is 2000 baht a month inc fast internet and Sat TV ) it's my business and my choice the way i wish to live in Thailand.If you don't drink or smoke then it is quite straight forward!

Farang Jaideewai2.gif

Just 4000 baht a month for food, electricity, drinking water, clothing and daily essentials like soap, shampoo, deoderants, etc for month after month?

Yeah I know this was a joke about the law. But 6000THB that must be long time ago? I mean this is even lesser then the minimum wage if you work 5 days per week in thailand. But anyway how can you stay as foreigner in Thailand? I mean there is no visa option or do you work and make +50k or parked enough in a bank account for retirement visa and just do your 6k per month thing.

Quite a lot of foreigners don't know who is and who isn't a hooker.

Look at the posters on this forum with the half-chinese, educated business women as partners.

Sad story, but not every relationship ends well.

(Should that be 'hardly any' in place of 'not every')

90% are for sale, and Im not kidding

Just goes to show that in addition to your willingness to slur and denigrate 90% of Thai women, you do not know your arse from your elbow. And I'm not kidding.

It maybe you not the smart person you attacking

You've got to give it to these bar girls. They can run rings around even educated farangs. Obviously Western education isn't much use out in the real world.

Running an elephant breeding center. Come on, how could anyone fall for that one?

Most education, doesn't teach being streetwise or common sense.

The only thing that got in the way of my learning was my education - Albert Einstein

• Like 1

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

What a waste of a young life.

Whatever drove him to excessive drinking doesn't justify the loss of his life.

RIP young man, hope you find calm and tranquillity where you have gone now.

Sad indeed, the loss of a large sum of money has driven many people to their death. It must be a horrible situation when you realize you lost a lot of money, especially through fraud, but you just have to deal with it and move on with your life.

I see some of my friends in the US that lost large sums in the 2008 real estate crash still struggling with it mentally. Thinking about it constantly, it is so much negative thinking it seems to have a bad effect on their physical and mental health. For some it is just too much grief to handle, RIP.

It may have been the loss of money, or it may have been simply so ashamed of himself. I know if I was tricked out of that much money I would be giving myself uppercuts every day.

Dont say that too loudly here on TV. Only thai's are capable of 'loss of face', it never happens to farangs.

Some respect to the deceased. We all live in our own worlds in this vast universe we share together. Don't judge

Don't judge ?

Get real.

He gave away 10 m Baht without any due diligence - there is nothing to judge, it is an open and shut case.

agree with beammeup to a point. But no one is holding a gun to the girls head. Having said that i pity some of them with the foreigners they have to deal with. Drunk a good part of the time , common scum balls that no woman in any country would want to deal with. Saw one just tonight with bar girl in tow. She looked miserable and the guy with beer in hand made my skin CRAWL! And this sadly is a common sight. CREEPY !

You must live in one of "those places"

agree with beammeup to a point. But no one is holding a gun to the girls head. Having said that i pity some of them with the foreigners they have to deal with. Drunk a good part of the time , common scum balls that no woman in any country would want to deal with. Saw one just tonight with bar girl in tow. She looked miserable and the guy with beer in hand made my skin CRAWL! And this sadly is a common sight. CREEPY !

None of your business!!

Live and let live!!

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

yet another case of a liar cheating scum they should find and feed her to the elephants rip bro

• Like 1