'Defrauded' Briton Found Dead In Chiang Mai Guesthouse

Lite Beer

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 3 months ago, a Swiss guy I knew got scammed out of everything by his gf. He committed self-immolation. Yep, poured petrol on himself and died a horrible death. I had to go and identify the body at the morgue in Udon Thani. A truly sad and horrific thing to have to do.There was no police investigation whatsoever. His Thai gf never even came back to bury him. She's still 'massaging' on one of the islands but now has a beautiful house and land bought for by this poor and decent man. There are some absolute, heartless bitches out there. Everyone be careful.

What should the police investigate?

The method of death for your dead friend or the ex-girlfriend?

How did she get him to part with his money?

it's a bargirl, true.

It's also never right to blame the victim. No matter how trusting or stupid they may have been.

Who was the evil wrong doer? Oh yes the guy who lost the money!

He was just the patsy who should have trusted his head and not his heart and been much more sensible and savvy, but he didn't do the lying, robbing etc or shall we blame the bargirl who did?

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1

They really don't want to say that suicide word again, do they.

So many dying, with strange circumstances. I think 3 or 4 just in these 2 weeks.

Nothing strange about this one.

Just another guy who drank too much.

Got swindled by a Thai bargirl with a 6th grade education.

Finally drank himself to death.

Alcohol is an equal opportunity killer--it kills Oxford grads just as easy as it does guys born into abject poverty.

Tough break--was likely the sort who thought he was spending his fortune helping one of the worlds endangered animals.

Condolences.

Being educated doesn't necessarily mean you have common sense. Like too many of us, he let a wet spot determine his fate. However, I wouldn't call it a fortune, about GDP194k, probably the average annual salary for an Oxfordie 15 years after graduation.

Edited by smotherb

A morally sick country with morally sick foreigners . Great combo.

It is a morally sick country.

You're a party to such then, are you?

You certainly don't sound a happy man??

Theres moral sickness everywhere. Its the human condition. Its not restricted to LOS.

I thoroughly agree simondan; it is a part of the human condition to prefer not to be alone. It is also a part of the human condition, if brought up in a different climate between individualism and collectivism to trust in the prior, and not the latter. That is where a huge crevasse exists between the expected, unexpected, and misunderstood which exists between hearts of nations, especially concerning MEN from the West vs. East. It isn't restricted to LOS, for sure......... but there is, for sure, a larger party interested in sucking the climber dry, and driving him to the crevasse, here in LOS where farangs are concerned, in contrast to many other nations..... In my Humble Opinion. Moral or morale, it certainly seems to becoming more lacking here as Western INFLUENCES take away from what was once modern in it's own way, yet humble and had original values in its own way?? Would you concur?

• Like 1

"The woman then convinced him to invest 10 million" - Is when he should have called for a taxi.

Thais are great at asking for investment funds even the PM is "Encouraging Japan to invest in some rail network" - Where is the Thai money? Who has got their greasy hands on that tell me?

About 3 months ago, a Swiss guy I knew got scammed out of everything by his gf. He committed self-immolation. Yep, poured petrol on himself and died a horrible death. I had to go and identify the body at the morgue in Udon Thani. A truly sad and horrific thing to have to do.There was no police investigation whatsoever. His Thai gf never even came back to bury him. She's still 'massaging' on one of the islands but now has a beautiful house and land bought for by this poor and decent man. There are some absolute, heartless bitches out there. Everyone be careful.

Maybe UdonJim should have said, "There are some very stupid men out there, be careful."

First of all RIP to the unfortunate former Oxford student . I think we are blessed to read this thread for our own good in the future . Never reveal your wealth to them , let them think you a better off alive than die poor .

The way I dress donations are encouraged. When I went into a bar the neon lights highlighted all the stains on my shirt and all the kitties where doing the hand motion "Sak Paa" wash clothes "Why you go like farmer?"

Keeping your wealth to yourself is common sense especially when you are in a lawless state such as LOS

• Like 1

it's a bargirl, true.

It's also never right to blame the victim. No matter how trusting or stupid they may have been.

Who was the evil wrong doer? Oh yes the guy who lost the money!

He was just the patsy who should have trusted his head and not his heart and been much more sensible and savvy, but he didn't do the lying, robbing etc or shall we blame the bargirl who did?

I have to blame stupidity. What do you think a bargirl is trying to get out of her customers?

I'm tired of this story and all of us should be too. It's not suicide it's another Thai bargirl doing the shit they do (fraud) Alcohol poisoning again and again. Bullshit. And this bwitch will not do a day in jail for defrauding. Pay a bribe and on to the next. I hope she chokes on that 10,000,000.Anyone want to invest in a monkey farm?

Well firstly, I would have thought that any kind of death, unless certified by a qualified doctor, should be investigated. Normal procedure? Not in Thailand apparently.

Ok he may have been somewhat naive, but he bought land and renovated the old Thai house on the property which he bought from her family at a price I estimate to be about 60% over the fair market price. He went off to Greece to do some summer work, leaving her to look after the house and some livestock he had bought. To cut the story short, she never answered any of his calls after he left. He came back to Thailand in a panic. She of course, was already (a couple of days after he left), gone 'massaging on Ko Pangan. He never heard from her again. The outcome was as described above. Many, many stories like this in Thailand. Nothing new really, except the extremely sad end.

Rip.

It is very sad but the question will be : what do you expect to happens to you if you fall in Love with a bar girl or even a girl that you meet in the bar or works in the bar ?

I feel bad for the man and many others that are falling for Thai Bar girls game. But this is the end of most of people that are after "mainly Bar Girls " as a future wife or girlfriend. I've been here over 15 years and have seen and heard this a lot And my heart goes with the family of the those people whom have lost their love ones here.

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

What a waste of a young life.

Whatever drove him to excessive drinking doesn't justify the loss of his life.

RIP young man, hope you find calm and tranquillity where you have gone now.

Sad indeed, the loss of a large sum of money has driven many people to their death. It must be a horrible situation when you realize you lost a lot of money, especially through fraud, but you just have to deal with it and move on with your life.

I see some of my friends in the US that lost large sums in the 2008 real estate crash still struggling with it mentally. Thinking about it constantly, it is so much negative thinking it seems to have a bad effect on their physical and mental health. For some it is just too much grief to handle, RIP.

I think its more about how they lost the money than the monitary loss itself. A lot of these guys are fairly young and presumably could make that back over another 20 years . What the problem is they are devastated when they realise that the "love of their life" has left them , never loved them , and only wanted their money. If guys in their home country would not give a hooker/girlfriend they dated $300,000 and say go buy us a house/business without consulting a lawyer or realestate agent the only reason I see that they do it here is that they are so much in love they think the girl would never do anything to hurt them. That or are they too lazy/trusting to get someone to check on paperwork for the home or business, as the expression states "a fool and his money are soon parted".

The deceased man can never be replaced, but if there is such a thing as justice some lowlife will find out this scamming little <deleted> has come into a lot of money and will do her in to get at it.

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
  • Like 1

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

Whatever drove an educated Oxford graduate to go for a bar girl. That's sad.

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

So he would've been acting like he owned the place? Poor fella . Some heartless greedy women out there. I'm sure it happens everywhere but the language barrier sure makes these scams easier to fall for .

Very sad

Very sad indeed.

Whatever drove an educated Oxford graduate to go for a bar girl. That's sad.

My ex fiancée was an Oxford grad. Believe me common sense was not common amongst her peers.

She is a PhD educated scientist and I'm a hairy arsed firefighter. Some just like a little bit of rough I suppose.

If foreigners that wanted to get involved with non bar girls and retirement here. The smart thing to do is learn the language . Sorry it is not that hard. Sadly more are concerned with two things booze and cheap women for hire.

As a bit of an extra on this, from what my wife read in the Thai news sources, apparently his gf tricked him into spending 10M THB to buy the elephant sanctuary, then got him to work there.

However, they didn't actually buy it, and they just let him work there because they allow volunteers to work at the sanctuary. He apparently dding realize this, so worked there thinking it was his own business. Although by the time he found out the truth, his gf had done a runner.

So he would've been acting like he owned the place? Poor fella . Some heartless greedy women out there. I'm sure it happens everywhere but the language barrier sure makes these scams easier to fall for .

A very sad story indeed, but as a graduate from Oxford how can you "buy" something without a piece of proof of ownership??

Anyone interested in my Sydney Bridge?? To prove that everything is correct, I will let you paint the bridge!!

We've already sold the coathanger to the yanks at least once, maybe twice, for scrap metal.

If foreigners that wanted to get involved with non bar girls and retirement here. The smart thing to do is learn the language . Sorry it is not that hard. Sadly more are concerned with two things booze and cheap women for hire.

Yeah , thankfully I met my wife whilst she was studying here in London and thankfully she's been great in helping me get to a reasonable level in Thai. Perhaps one day we will move back to Thailand. It's a big perhaps though.

• Like 1

Why would some guy give 300,000 dollars to a hooker? Blows my mind.

There is some things Oxford cannot teach you... wai2.gif

Oxford...and...private catholic schools. Real life issues are simply not discussed.

However, I think, even the most studious bookworms in the universe, know that hustlers exist. Perhaps, no other girl ever gave this man a second glance. One large smile, a short skirt, a night on the pillows.....well.... Even Achilles had a weakness. Plenty of books and movies demonstrate how a good (or smart, or strong) man can have a Delilah. History books are full of them. I have links, and read through them....and so can you. I will not post them. But a scholar would have definitely read about them. First one was Eve...there are too many others, throughout history, that beat down a proper, well meaning man. This one....was the most recent. I will not judge him harshly.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

Well firstly, I would have thought that any kind of death, unless certified by a qualified doctor, should be investigated. Normal procedure? Not in Thailand apparently.

Ok he may have been somewhat naive, but he bought land and renovated the old Thai house on the property which he bought from her family at a price I estimate to be about 60% over the fair market price. He went off to Greece to do some summer work, leaving her to look after the house and some livestock he had bought. To cut the story short, she never answered any of his calls after he left. He came back to Thailand in a panic. She of course, was already (a couple of days after he left), gone 'massaging on Ko Pangan. He never heard from her again. The outcome was as described above. Many, many stories like this in Thailand. Nothing new really, except the extremely sad end.

I only meant that if he self-immolated in front of witnesses then there would not be the need for an investigation into cause of death.

That is not a Westerner type method of suicide. It is probably the most desperate and courageous method of self-termination and typically the goal is to bring attention to an injustice.

Very difficult for the survivors to have memory of.

Oxford...and...private catholic schools. Real life issues are simply not discussed.

However, I think, even the most studious bookworms in the universe, know that hustlers exist. Perhaps, no other girl ever gave this man a second glance. One large smile, a short skirt, a night on the pillows.....well.... Even Achilles had a weakness. Plenty of books and movies demonstrate how a good (or smart, or strong) man can have a Delilah. History books are full of them. I have links, and read through them....and so can you. I will not post them. But a scholar would have definitely read about them. First one was Eve...there are too many others, throughout history, that beat down a proper, well meaning man. This one....was the most recent. I will not judge him harshly.

Well it is quite difficult to understand that apprently such mild mannered people are blatent thieves and apparently so common in Thailand.

It is the difference between a glass half empty or half full. He was obviously a half full kind of guy. Problem is when it only becomes a dram at the bottom.

Well it is quite difficult to understand that apprently such mild mannered people are blatent thieves and apparently so common in Thailand.

It is the difference between a glass half empty or half full. He was obviously a half full kind of guy. Problem is when it only becomes a dram at the bottom.

Agreed !! As we all know there is bar girls and then this " Bar Girls " who's been practicing there big move and who's just waiting for that BIG fish to come in.... Obviously this guy was what she's been waiting for a very long time. Just sad his "Full Cup" also ended it all in such an sad way.... Being a Expat in LOS just is not for the faint hearted if I may..whistling.gif

Edited by CapeThai