The equivalent of saying, ' Thank you sir!'

Jinjo14

Yes it does, and it's probably the best/easiest phrase for what the OP is after.

Although just to make it a bit easier, if the OP goes to the below site, there are recordings of the word, which will probably help you get the pronunciation correct.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/196827

Particularly as when reading the OP's phonetics, it sounds like he's heard the word a lot but maybe not clearly. So the audio recordings will help you a lot :)

Also you seem to have heard 2x different versions (Kob Khun Maak Krab & Kob Khun Na Krab), whereby basically the "Na" particle has 2x different tones, one (นะ - Na (high tone)) which makes the sentence softer and is often used by women and polite men, and another (น่ะ - Na (falling tone)) which usually makes the sentence more of a command or to sorta urge someone on, but with friends can sorta make things more casual as well. I assume you heard the softer one, as the other would more be used between friends (And would usually replace Krab, rather than coming before it).

In general though, just the sorta body language, tone of your voice and word stress can help convey the sincerity of what you're saying, similar to what we do in English, even if you don't necessarily add in a Maak or Na.

However, beware of being too polite, as otherwise they might think that you're sorta mocking them. So, for example, using either of the above examples would probably be too much if you were just talking to a taxi driver or when the lady at 7/11 gives you back your change (Unless of course they had done something really special for you).

• Like 1

Yes it does, and it's probably the best/easiest phrase for what the OP is after.

Although just to make it a bit easier, if the OP goes to the below site, there are recordings of the word, which will probably help you get the pronunciation correct.

Particularly as when reading the OP's phonetics, it sounds like he's heard the word a lot but maybe not clearly. So the audio recordings will help you a lot smile.png

Also you seem to have heard 2x different versions (Kob Khun Maak Krab & Kob Khun Na Krab), whereby basically the "Na" particle has 2x different tones, one (นะ - Na (high tone)) which makes the sentence softer and is often used by women and polite men, and another (น่ะ - Na (falling tone)) which usually makes the sentence more of a command or to sorta urge someone on, but with friends can sorta make things more casual as well. I assume you heard the softer one, as the other would more be used between friends (And would usually replace Krab, rather than coming before it).

In general though, just the sorta body language, tone of your voice and word stress can help convey the sincerity of what you're saying, similar to what we do in English, even if you don't necessarily add in a Maak or Na.

However, beware of being too polite, as otherwise they might think that you're sorta mocking them. So, for example, using either of the above examples would probably be too much if you were just talking to a taxi driver or when the lady at 7/11 gives you back your change (Unless of course they had done something really special for you).

Its all situational, different situations will elict a different response.

Be aware of who and where you are talking to.

A simple krap phom will do in many instances.

Depends on the situation you find yourself in, differing situation will garner a differnt reply, where are you, at immigration, or replying to a local store keeper?

You will be aware of the differing levels of politness and replies in Thai depending on who you are answering, as noted above.

Edit, how to say thank you for what, what was the situation, who was involved.

I use different levels of politeness depending on who I am talking to, eg some guy delivers something to the house that I bought from his shop 2 hours ago, or someone in a position of authority helped me out.

Khop jai nong, dont ever think on using this in any place official, at the local market, perfectly acceptable.

Edited by rgs2001uk

All very informative and helpful posts. I hope I will be someday as proficient in thai as you.

I've never done the effort of learning Thai alphabet only numbers. So what I pick up is basically from spoken language. I've been living here about 1yr 6 months - one year which I spent in rural Isaan speaking english only to my thai wife. So I always made an effort to be social with brothers and family. I picked up many vocabulary and I understand 30% what's spoken but I can't string more than a sentence - maybe 20% understand what I speak to them in Thai.

Now I'm in a supervisory post and I'm finding it hell to communicate with my staff as only two are 'familiar with english' - same level as myself with Thai. I want to better myself in the thai language.

I was good in languages when in school. What should my next step be? English is not my mother tongue - so if I put my mind to it I could do it.

Particularly as when reading the OP's phonetics, it sounds like he's heard the word a lot but maybe not clearly. So the audio recordings will help you a lot smile.png

So what do you say when people in the market or Big C, 7 ... tell you " ขอบคุณครับ " ?

my girlfriend told me not to say anything ( like other Thais ) because the girl (or boy ) didn't give me any thing apart some change if any , but because it's my culture I always answer " ขอบคุณครับ "; just smile is enough ? or " ครับ " ?

I often use a simple ครับ (khrap) in such situations like at the shop.

And here in Isan I leave out the "r", so its just a "khap".

For me this is never too much, even to the gardener or the room maid.

Hiso Thais have a different (ignore style) behaviour.

But I don't care. Not necessary to adopt or deny my western education.

On the other hand, a ขอบคุณครับผม (khop khun khrap phom) or ขอบคุณมาก (khop khun mak) to the security guard would be absurd.

Even more with a wai. Makes you look like a fool.

Sometimes a smile is enough. I can not give exact rules.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So what do you say when people in the market or Big C, 7 ... tell you " ขอบคุณครับ " ?

my girlfriend told me not to say anything ( like other Thais ) because the girl (or boy ) didn't give me any thing apart some change if any , but because it's my culture I always answer " ขอบคุณครับ "; just smile is enough ? or " ครับ " ?

In your case, a simple, muan gan, or chen gan will do.

I dont know the situation and how the conversation started.

ขอบคุณครับ (Kob Khun Krab) or ขอบใจครับ (Kob Jai Krab) should be fine, just no need for anything more polite, else ppl might think it's a bit weird

Edited by SlyAnimal
Added phonetics

ขอบคุณครับผม Thank you sir!

You are correct but personally I would say Krup Khun Krup Kra Pom and this should only really be used when speaking to a figure of authority.

Krup Khun Maak Na Krup would be the most polite everyday answer and it wouldn't offend a figure in authority.

Kra Pom or Kra Pom Krup is usually used as an acknowledgement of agreement much the same as Krup but more friendly and polite.

So when the taxi driver asks you if you want to go to Rangsit. You should respond with Chai Krup or Took Dong Krup or a simple Kra Pom or just Krup.

You can add Krup to Kra Pom if you like but it would be a little too polite for a taxi driver but you should always use Kra Pom Krup when talking to someone in authority like the Police.

Edited by ATF

• 2 weeks later...