People want govt to solve problems 'even if it takes over a year'

Lite Beer

People want govt to solve problems 'even if it takes over a year'
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Most people surveyed by Bangkok Poll want the Prayut government to continue working until problems are solved even though it may take longer than one year, according to the poll results released yesterday.

While 64 per cent said they support the government continuing its work until problems are solved, 36 per cent said they wanted the government to complete its mission in one year and then call an election.

Most people believed the country's political situation had improved and reform was going in the right direction.

Of the 1,115 people surveyed, 62 per cent believed reform under the roadmap of the National Council for Peace and Order was headed in the right direction, while 34 per cent said there had been no improvement in the political situation.

Around 68 per cent said political groups posed an obstacle to political reform, 52 per cent said politicians were obstacles to reform, 39 per cent said too many frequent changes to the charter was the obstacle.

Meanwhile, some 34 per cent believed the public's lack of understanding of democracy obstructed the reform process.

About 43 per cent believed that the reform committee headed by Sombat Thamrongthanyawong would succeed in bringing about political reform and 34 per cent said they preferred the direct election of a PM.

Another 21 per cent said they preferred an indirect election of a prime minister by having MPs and senators elect the PM, while 16.9 per cent said they wanted to directly elect the PM (the leader of the party which wins the most votes).

Meanwhile, a survey conducted by Master Poll from November 7-14 found that 78 per cent of respondents wanted grassroots people to enjoy a higher income and believed the rich had sympathy towards the poor.

Another 72 per cent wanted no violence in the country, 65.7 wanted equality of all Thais so they could access natural resources, 58 per cent wanted the country to be ready for the integration of the Asean Economic Community and 52 per cent wanted people to use the justice system to resolve the country's problems.

The survey was conducted by the Association of Thai Researchers in Community Happiness.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/People-want-govt-to-solve-problems-even-if-it-take-30247862.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-16

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another 21 per cent said they preferred an indirect election of a prime minister by having MPs and senators elect the PM, while 16.9 per cent said they wanted to directly elect the PM (the leader of the party which wins the most votes).

What did the other 60% want?

I wonder if they know how the PM is currently elected?

• Like 1

Why didn't they say who conducted the survey at the beginning of the article so I could stop reading earlier? What a load of bs.

Association of Thai Researchers in community happiness? Really? I'd like to see who is leading that association.

Rumours from reliable sources within the inner circle of the Thai Researchers Association........its....

Donald Duck !

• Like 1

Why didn't they say who conducted the survey at the beginning of the article so I could stop reading earlier? What a load of bs.

Association of Thai Researchers in community happiness? Really? I'd like to see who is leading that association.

Rumours from reliable sources within the inner circle of the Thai Researchers Association........its....

Donald Duck !

... or TAT ...

The job will never get done.

It all depends really on how much they can get out of the coffers before things start getting a bit warm regarding discrepancies etc..... Then and only then will they give up the trough to the next bunch.

I reckon 3 years and they will all have enough to retire to their own south pacific private islands.

The job will never get done.

It all depends really on how much they can get out of the coffers before things start getting a bit warm regarding discrepancies etc..... Then and only then will they give up the trough to the next bunch.

I reckon 3 years and they will all have enough to retire to their own south pacific private islands.

But don't you know they're all against CORRUPTION!? Their disgust (blow whistle) at CORRUPTION is what forced them to step in, however reluctantly, to free the country of this scourge.

• Like 1

The nation started off pretty good this week with a few articles actually criticising the PM and junta.

After this load BS and more propaganda maybe they have had an attitude adjustment.

Attitude adjustment the latest buzz word for the junta.

What do you want then everything that does not favour the PM ?? if it does it is against your rhetoric.

• Like 1

If changes are not made,it will just return to fighting between vested

interests again,that nearly lead to the brink of civil war.

OK the present Govt. is not elected,BUT look at how the last elected

Govt. nearly brought Thailand to its knees,with corruption,infighting,

and wasting a huge amounts of money,if that is the alternative what

we have now is a much better solution,at least there seems to be a

policy to change things,while not perfect,its a start.

The day i dread is when professional politicians return to Parliament,

and the cycle kicks off again,nearly all are only in this game to enrich

themselves,and could not give a toss about the people or the country.

but that seems to be the world over not just in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie We are only pawns in their game.

Edited by worgeordie

Keep hearing soft time lines.... Is that a year from now? Or a year from when the junta took over?

It's as if they are stalling, preserving their power position for some unforeseen event. ermm.gif

Initially it was for next November, but was put back 2 months as more DUNG had arrived on the PMs doorstep to clean up--if you get my drift.?

Keep hearing soft time lines.... Is that a year from now? Or a year from when the junta took over?

It's as if they are stalling, preserving their power position for some unforeseen event. ermm.gif

Initially it was for next November, but was put back 2 months as more DUNG had arrived on the PMs doorstep to clean up--if you get my drift.?

I get your drift. Better the Army in charge because they do a great job, only to hand the train set over to elected numpties, who screw it all up again.

• Like 1

I know this may seem like heresy but instead of the doubters pooh poohing the article to be sure of no exaggeration in the media to carry favour with the Junta, why don't we ask everyone in Thailand to write the name of who they want to "Solve the problems" on a piece a of paper and hand it in to a trusted authority. The pieces of paper are counted and the name on the most pieces of paper can'Sovle out the problems" Apparently that works in other countries

Fantastic idea. Problem Thai people have always been taught not to be independent, never to question authority, schools -home- work-administration -local areas.

Thailand will never get this FAIR reflection as OTHERS who have mega influence will probe into who they are voting for---FACT.

Issan village head man RED as RED can be proved that--red controlled villages,, My take on this----maybe I'm looked upon as biased because I have lived in villages up country for yonks.

Right, we don't want professional politicians, military governments work better. After all, when has a military government ever failed a county...well, except for past military governments in Thailand. Oh, and next door in Burma, obviously. I guess Franco held Spain back as well, and there aren't many people in Central and South America who have fond memories of their past military governments.

Come to think of it, when has a military government ever done well?

• Like 2

While 64 per cent said they support the government continuing its work until problems are solved, 36 per cent said they wanted the government to complete its mission in one year and then call an election.

Fact is, the perception by the police and government officials that they are indeed being watched has in fact made them, on the surface at lease, less able to demand bribes. Their willingness to actually work notwithstanding. And so it seems that a large proportion of the population appears to prefer this to that which may replace the Junta.

However, Immigration doesn't concern Thais and those particular departments are being ever more bloody minded over visa extensions/applications in order that we 'farang' may be driven to make up for their loss of earnings via middlemen, aka, agents.

• Like 1

Right, we don't want professional politicians, military governments work better. After all, when has a military government ever failed a county...well, except for past military governments in Thailand. Oh, and next door in Burma, obviously. I guess Franco held Spain back as well, and there aren't many people in Central and South America who have fond memories of their past military governments.

Come to think of it, when has a military government ever done well?

Recent---FIJI.