Verdict in garbage collector's case was way too harsh

Lite Beer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't have bribe money for police and courts, simple as that.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous you can walk into a stall at a shopping center or most any night market and buy pirate movies or software, yet they make a farce of an example over this guy.

Initially an easy target.

Now yet another social media smack in the face for the establishment.

Rubbish.

Are you actually suggesting the decision of a small local court is somehow to be blamed on the General?

Do you hold President Obama responsible for local court decisions?

If so then you have absolutely zero concept of how the Branches of Gov't function.

Furthermore, the King's own daughter stepped in to support the garbage collector, a rare occurance, which indicates just how strongly the "establishment" finds the lower court decision reprehensible and a travesty of justice.

Honestly, where do you people come up with these ideas?

• Like 1

It's an unfortunate fact that the law is used as a tool of the rich to supress the poor. This is one area that is crying out for reform in order to redress the balance.

On the contrary, there is no concerted effort of such.

Its simply that every segment of society steals and robs and cheats--but <omit> rolls downhill.

The poor are not equally represented in the courts because the courts bow to power, influence and currency of which the lowly garbage collector has none.

The rich are the record labels who want to protect their copyright. They did not legislate these laws to send a garbage collector away for years simply for making a few Baht. They made these laws to punish the wealthy...but the wealthy simply buy their way out.

There are alot of people on TV who will bitch and moan about injustice 24/7--but was it a TV member who paid this man's fine? I would like to think so but I never bet against the odds.

The rich in society, who are represented by the law use the law more harshly against the disadvantaged in society. Do you really believe that the copyright law was made to punish the wealthy? It was made to punish anyone with the temerity to breach it, but as in many instances here the law is a onesided instrument. I'd bet money on it that if a connected person came up before the judge he'd have walked with a metaphorical slap on the wrist.

That is not what you originally stated--you stated that laws are designed to suppress the poor, which is an incorrect claim. The laws were written to provide a safe environment to society to exist in. It happens that wealthy people the world over have advantage as to how and when these laws are exacted. These are not the same thing.

Do I believe the copyright law was made to punish the wealthy? It was made to stop the "big players" and recover damages (i.e. Punish). I suggest you read the history about early file-sharing platforms and the evolution of "pirating" claims against companies like Napster. The law was designed in theory to be applied equally; however, had this case been brought before a US court, it would have been tossed out as a waste of time of the court and the police would have been ridiculed for wasting their effort as well. These were used DVD's. Americans hold garage sales every weekend where they sell old music CD's and VHS movies. These laws were not designed to stop such sales.

As for your final sentence--obviously a wealthy person would not have been selling their used DVD's to make a few Baht so the suggestion is moot.

I think there may be people infringing copyright laws by selling counterfeit CD, DVD and clothing along Sukhumvit Rd. Should I call the police?

No, you should not! These people are paying good money to be able to sell these goods. But I guess you know all that too, of course....

Posts picture, names of the judge and prosecutor in the media.

So, they will think twice in future if they can act as demigods or Buddhas in black.

Personally, I don't believe in vigilante justice and I have seen the social media crowd have no better use of discretion than the judge in this case. They have even named and posted pictures of the wrong person in high profile cases which led to death threats against innocent people.

So, no thanks, I won't be posting any photos of anyone--particularly not public officials.

Great article by the Nation and well written for a change. It beggars belief that this poor guy could have spent 2 years in jail because hew couldn't pay his fine when sons of wealthy men go scot free after committing murder. What a disgusting set of values the judge in this case must have,

That's a rather strange allegation or is it just your imagination? It would be interesting to know which are the sons of wealthy men who have gone scot free after being convicted of murder that you refer to?

I see what you did there. delgarcon wrote, "sons of wealthy men go scot free after committing murder" and you misquoted him as, "sons of wealthy men who have gone scot free after being convicted of murder". Then you knock down the straw-man you just created. You, sir, are dishonest and deceitful. I shall be keeping a close eye on you. Disgusting.

• Like 1

Great article by the Nation and well written for a change. It beggars belief that this poor guy could have spent 2 years in jail because hew couldn't pay his fine when sons of wealthy men go scot free after committing murder. What a disgusting set of values the judge in this case must have,

That's a rather strange allegation or is it just your imagination? It would be interesting to know which are the sons of wealthy men who have gone scot free after being convicted of murder that you refer to?

Er......have you read a newspaper here ??

• Like 1

When you look at the experience level of many wthin the judical system and hear how they are selected it explains a lot for those of us who were brought expecting justice from those on the bench. You have to take into consderation that many of the people in the entire Thai system were educated in systems that are today reconized as being among the worst in the world

Posts picture, names of the judge and prosecutor in the media.

So, they will think twice in future if they can act as demigods or Buddhas in black.

Putting the lives of judges at risk is not something civilized people do. That is a Red Shirt tactic to intimidate judges. Even if you were to intimidate the judge, how would he/she know how you wanted the case decided (since you want them to not to follow the law as written)? The proper course is to change the law. Judges are bound by the law as it is written.

I forgot to mention, you are a guest in this country and behave accordingly, not like so many here, whose main purpose is Thai bashing.

No one bashes Thais. Members are bashing bad behavior that, because it is a Thailand forum, it is usually bad behavior committed by Thais. Maybe you should follow your own advise as you seem all too ready to bash Thai judges (or as you call them, "demigods or Buddhas in black") and even offer up suggestions as to how to intimidate them into 'correct' decisions.

Edited by rametindallas

Did he say convicted?

No I didn't say convicted. You've obviously never heard of Vorayuth Yoovidhya, Artisi. Not much point in making your pompous comments if you don't keep up with the news.

To all those who exonerate this "poor" judge and his moral integrity deserve injustice.

All is done by humans, there is nothing like a juristic system to hide behind but as long as many are not aware of it we have to deal with demigods in black who think they must make an example, especially with the poor and underprivileged of the society.

That is correct, the law society I do believe has asked the NLA to increase the minimum age into the 50s from the 20's. They recognize the problem.

disclaimer: its early,..... i may have the orginaization making and reviewing the request wrong..

I don't know about the judge in this case but the judicial appointment system is crazy if the note I'm about to type is true.

A couple of years ago a friend, an English teacher, had a class which included a young lady in her early to mid-20s who held a law degree and who was preparing to sit for the exam that would qualify her for a judicial appointment. She had never practiced law in any field, never prosecuted or defended in court and would go straight to the bench if accepted.

Sorry folks but I like my judges to be time served in both their profession and in life. No disrespect but that young lady was completely unsuitable to sit in judgement of anyone as too inexperienced in every way.

I have tried to check and all I can find is the need to pass one of two exams, one for those qualified with a Thai law degree and one for those who have a foreign degree. Can anyone assist further ?

• Like 1

I see what you did there. delgarcon wrote, "sons of wealthy men go scot free after committing murder" and you misquoted him as, "sons of wealthy men who have gone scot free after being convicted of murder". Then you knock down the straw-man you just created. You, sir, are dishonest and deceitful. I shall be keeping a close eye on you. Disgusting.

Well done thank you.

Oh nooo. You are going to keep a close eye on him? I hope you were saying that for comedic affect. ;-)

And if you find something as benign as his post "disgusting" then living in Thailand must be a complete and overwhelming assault on your senses. The stench from any manhole cover is 100x as disgusting as his post.

I do not profess to know what Sviss Geez's intent was; however, as for his exchanging two words, an easy mistake. Although its true the definitions are unique; in the context of this thread and the post he responded to, the question of conviction is irrelevant.

The point being made has to do with the special privilege of the wealthy vs the destitute members of society. Sviss Geez remained entirely within the context of that argument when he misquoted.

Did he say convicted?

No I didn't say convicted. You've obviously never heard of Vorayuth Yoovidhya, Artisi. Not much point in making your pompous comments if you don't keep up with the news.

delgarcon:

Before you get onto your pompous high horse, seems you need to keep up with and read what is being said and to whom as it seems to me and I assume everyone else, with you being the exception, that I was responding to a misquote by Sviss Geez and not to yourself.

And yes dozens of vendors continue to sell pirated DVD's in plain sight on Sukhumvit, at Pantip, at MBK, on a daily basis, with the blessings of the police, who earn money from the sales, no doubt. This case is a perfect example of the Prayuth principal. Pick on the small, defenseless man, who cannot afford to defend himself, nor bride a prosecutor or judge. Make it look like something positive is being done, when in reality NOTHING is being done to improve the nation. Jawboning, and false promises is all the people of this nation are getting from this false prophet.

And yes dozens of vendors continue to sell pirated DVD's in plain sight on Sukhumvit, at Pantip, at MBK, on a daily basis, with the blessings of the police, who earn money from the sales, no doubt. This case is a perfect example of the Prayuth principal. Pick on the small, defenseless man, who cannot afford to defend himself, nor bride a prosecutor or judge. Make it look like something positive is being done, when in reality NOTHING is being done to improve the nation. Jawboning, and false promises is all the people of this nation are getting from this false prophet.

I dunno Mike. I see alot of positive changes between Thailand 2011, Thailand 2012, Thailand 2013 and today.

I dunno Mike. I see alot of positive changes between Thailand 2011, Thailand 2012, Thailand 2013 and today.

Can you please explain them to us? We do not see them. All I see if crackdowns that are not followed up, threats of more crackdowns, and little guys getting arrested. Many of us would like to see positive changes. Please point them out to us. We would appreciate it. Positive, lasting changes that is.

Can you please explain them to us? We do not see them. All I see if crackdowns that are not followed up, threats of more crackdowns, and little guys getting arrested. Many of us would like to see positive changes. Please point them out to us. We would appreciate it. Positive, lasting changes that is.

Kindof difficult to point out if a change is "lasting" or not so it seems your request is more an attempt at entrapment than discussion.

"Lasting" would depend much on who the next PM is, would it not?