1 month holiday planning Vietnam

stevehaigh

i'm thinking about 1 month in Vietnam over Songkran next year to avoid some of the heat here

never been so looking for ideas.

i'll be with my Thai wife and daughter and understand there is no visa required for them right? so they just show up at the airport in Vietnam and get in right?

i'd apply for a visa on arrival online since i don't live in BKK. i think its $10 online processing and $45 when you arrive in VN. is that correct?

i'd like to travel the country. i see air asia fly Hanoi and Ho Chi Min so would fly in one and out the other. any ideas which way is better, north to south or south to north bearing in mind planning to go early April

we are very budget people, what's the best way to travel, stay and eat for say $20/day.

and what places to visit between HCM and Hanoi?

thx steve

Hey Steve! Vietnam is a great place to visit. Here's a recent thread you should read:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774129-where-to-go-in-n-vietnam-to-beat-the-heat/

And a great website that gives you an overview of the weather by month:

http://www.weather2travel.com/whentotravel/vietnam/hanoi.php

HCMC will be pretty much no different than here in Thailand. Hanoi isn't much cooler either. To really beat the heat, you'll have to "head for the hills!". 5555

DaLat and Sapa are great places for this. Though not much to do.

There's a bunch of stuff to do between HCMC and Hanoi. Not trying to be rude, but I'd highly suggest you buy a guidebook. LP or Rough Guide. Definitely worth the money considering how much you'll be spending on this trip.

When you are back, give us a trip report! We'd love to hear how it went.

thanks, that climate website and some other sites i've seen say max temp in April is around 27deg but the TV discussion says its hotter than here and here is usually in mid 30s in Apr so not really sure what to think

if i'm not going to get away from the heat i think i'll look somewhere else

thx

"we are very budget people, what's the best way to travel, stay and eat for say $20/day."

Each?

Otherwise you'll be struggling IMO, though I did hear backpackers sticking out for $8 a room.

Personally I'd start in HaNoi, do HaLong Bay and then head South because it gets better (more civilised) once you get to Hue.

On a budget, travel in VN will be by train or bus I imagine.

We flew into HaNoi mid February (bit chilly) bought m/bikes and travelled down HCMC over a month then re-sold them - I think about 2,000 kms.

i'm trying to figure out what renting a motorbike is like over there?

something like a Wave for looking around town or maybe a little further afield.

it seems there are bike rental places so i guess its possible but i read that driving is illegal without a VN driving license. what's the real story, is it like in Thailand where if the police stop you without a license you have to pay a few hundred baht then you are on your way?

i'm trying to figure out what renting a motorbike is like over there?

something like a Wave for looking around town or maybe a little further afield.

it seems there are bike rental places so i guess its possible but i read that driving is illegal without a VN driving license. what's the real story, is it like in Thailand where if the police stop you without a license you have to pay a few hundred baht then you are on your way?

Riding there is super dangerous, IMHO. I'd hate to think of how many accidents I saw in my one month trip. Road rules are pretty much ignored. As for the police, they are worse there than here. Pic from my bus on the way from DaLat to Nha Trang.

post-5869-0-71109100-1416447799_thumb.jp

Riding there is super dangerous, IMHO. I'd hate to think of how many accidents I saw in my one month trip. Road rules are pretty much ignored. As for the police, they are worse there than here. Pic from my bus on the way from DaLat to Nha Trang.

ok, but you can rent bikes in the bigger towns and drive them around right? by 'As for the police, they are worse there than here', does that mean they will be stopping and fining you daily?

ok, but you can rent bikes in the bigger towns and drive them around right? by 'As for the police, they are worse there than here', does that mean they will be stopping and fining you daily?

In DaLat, I hired a guy to give me a tour, which was fantastic. I just rode on the back of his scooter. Great fun. Can't help you with renting bikes there, sorry. I was too scared! 555555

I did see a lot of police checkpoints. They even stopped our bus and got a bribe out of the driver. I tried to take a pic, but got afraid.

The traffic is just insane. I went to the top of that famous hotel in HCMC. Can't remember the name. Within the first 5 minutes, I saw a car hit a scooter. I've got a great video of the insanity. I'll see if I can post it. But here's a pic. No regard for right of way or traffic laws. Just go. The pic doesn't do justice to what was going on. It was absolute mayhem! 55555

Just got back from HCMC went to Vietnam to spend three weeks there lasted a week budget wise you are ok in district one have the bottle to fly there without a hotel booked get there before 2 pm get to distict 1 and walk the streets there are hundreds of hotels and boarding houses who will deal up just look at roomsbefore you pay I was dringingbeer for 15 baht and noodle soup on the streets for 30 baht. I rented a motorbike for two days and drove around the city in the craziest traffic I have ever expearienced loved it fantastic didnt see any police but watching traffic so wouldnt. Left early because all the resorts i wanted to visit up the coast we were warned were drenched in Russians had enough of those here .

You might want to contact my travel agent, Tu, she can set you straight with regard to spots to see in VN as well as visa requirements. I'm like you, escaping all the Songkran crazies......:-)

Hope it works out...this is my second trip to VN and looking forward to another adventure.

NORTH & CENTER VIETNAM TRIP 10 DAYS.doc

You might want to contact my travel agent, Tu, she can set you straight with regard to spots to see in VN as well as visa requirements. I'm like you, escaping all the Songkran crazies......:-)

Hope it works out...this is my second trip to VN and looking forward to another adventure.

Jeeze, I followed the itinerary and then saw the price.

Ms Travel Agent Tu is not cheap.

In fact that is unbelievable.

How much are we talking about?

13,545 USD for just 10 days/9 nights (two internal flights thrown though...). In Vietnam??????

Even if you chopped off the 13,000 USD, the OP would still be well over budget. xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

I strongly suggest the OP steers well away from Ms Tu.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Jeeze, I followed the itinerary and then saw the price.

Ms Travel Agent Tu is not cheap.

In fact that is unbelievable.

How much are we talking about?

13,545 USD for just 10 days/9 nights (two internal flights thrown though...). In Vietnam??????

Even if you chopped off the 13,000 USD, the OP would still be well over budget. xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

I strongly suggest the OP steers well away from Ms Tu.

Hold onto your horses....the price was a misprint....it should read 1,354.00 cheesy.gif And yes, I nearly fell off my chair the first time I saw it......and no need to steer clear of Mrs. Tu....she goes beyond being good. wai2.gif

On your budget the open tour bus is your best bet.Hanoi to Saigon maybe about $40. You can get off the bus in about 6towns on the way down,then get back on when you are ready for your next destination. Ha long bay is a must,as is Dalat.if you have a spare week once you have reached Saigon,carry on through the Delta to Phu Quoc Island (fabulous )then fly back to Saigon to connect with your flight back to Bkk.

just beturned after 3rd visit.the first many years ago under different conditions the last trip stayed at nha trang

what achange the russians have taken over that area.i give the people full marks for showing no resentment and quite plesant

towards us after what we did to them

Went to Nha Trang via HCMC in September. Be careful of taxis from HCMC airport, should only be USD $6-$8 to District 1. Good choice of accomodation under USD $20 per night.

Nha Trang was like the Queensland Gold Coast circa 1970-1980. Good beach and water but the 40 storey boxes behind the beach are not good to look at. Again good accomodation $15 per night, there is plenty to choose from. Very much a Russian town even though there are western expats there. Many businesses only have Russian/Vietnamese signage.

• Like 1

Just got back from HCMC went to Vietnam to spend three weeks there lasted a week budget wise you are ok in district one have the bottle to fly there without a hotel booked get there before 2 pm get to distict 1 and walk the streets there are hundreds of hotels and boarding houses who will deal up just look at roomsbefore you pay I was dringingbeer for 15 baht and noodle soup on the streets for 30 baht. I rented a motorbike for two days and drove around the city in the craziest traffic I have ever expearienced loved it fantastic didnt see any police but watching traffic so wouldnt. Left early because all the resorts i wanted to visit up the coast we were warned were drenched in Russians had enough of those here .

Hi bifferted. Future posts will be a lot easier to read if you use a bit of punctuation. Just an idea.

Cheers..... Mal.

well i just booked on jetstar from swampy for 11000 baht for the 3 of us. i also booked 12 nights in hotels for about 1000b/night in some very nice looking places in hanoi, sapa, HCMC and da lat. the other nights i'll just work out on the fly.

getting around in VN looks quite expensive compared to here. the sleeper trains are about $80 for say hanoi to hue which is way too expensive for me. the night bus is cheaper but sounds horrible. are there no north/south day busses i can just jump on and off where i feel like?

I've not been for several years, but back then, there was a pretty good bus system. Setup for tourists. Worked pretty good. And cheap.

From Hue to Hanoi, I flew. The price wasn't too bad and I'm glad I did. My friends did the overnight bus and said it was hell.

i just found this

http://www.travelswop.com/vietnam/hanoi/motobikes/honda-win-110cc-sale-at-ha-noi-buy-back-by-my-shop-hcm.html

very interested in that idea, buy in hanoi and sell in HCM. get to go where and when i want.

Make sure you have good insurance. Or a lot of cash in an account that is readily available. Credit card would probably also work.