Destroying all the mosquitoes in my Apartment

flyingsaucersarereal

Its a perennial problem for all of us. Firstly look for an standing water in or near your apartment, like large water urns or ponds. If its off the ground floor spray any household bug spray before you leave and early in the evening. Don't leave any uncovered food or used bottles around. Everything edible or drinkable should be in a plastic container and /or in the fridge. Buy some lemongrass plants in pots and put them around the apartment. Don't leave wet towels or dirty laundry around. i.e If you keep everything spotless there is nowhere for them to breed. Obviously keep doors and windows closed unless you have good insect screens on the windows. Mozzies don't like aircon, so leave it on at night. Good luck.

Its a perennial problem for all of us. Firstly look for an standing water in or near your apartment, like large water urns or ponds. If its off the ground floor spray any household bug spray before you leave and early in the evening. Don't leave any uncovered food or used bottles around. Everything edible or drinkable should be in a plastic container and /or in the fridge. Buy some lemongrass plants in pots and put them around the apartment. Don't leave wet towels or dirty laundry around. i.e If you keep everything spotless there is nowhere for them to breed. Obviously keep doors and windows closed unless you have good insect screens on the windows. Mozzies don't like aircon, so leave it on at night. Good luck.

Mostly useless information Tim, as far as immediate relief is concerned.

Get a mosquito racquet as mentioned, and a small indoor UV lamp zapper. Turn off the lights and leave it on while you're out some evening. Come back and there won't be any mosquitos to bother you.

Avoid chemical sprays.

Its a perennial problem for all of us.

I live on a high floor. I never see any mosquitoes either inside my condo or on my balcony, but I do sympathise with those who are troubled by them.

In other places that did have mosquitoes I found that strongly-scented non-toxic things like extracts/oils of citronella, lemon, fennel, thyme, cloves or eucalyptus seemed to stop them landing on me. But I dont think they would be much use for keeping a room clear of them. Incense sticks perhaps?

Depends on which floor your apartment is on. I think anything above 10th floor is generally mosquito free except for the odd ones which got carried on an up wind. In such a situation, just spray the room and that's the end of that. If on lower floors, best to have insect screens on all windows and external doors to stop the mosquitoes from invading your space! To stop the few getting in, I keep burning oils or mozzie coils all day near doors that are frequently used. It serves to minimise the numbers getting indoors but a few still get in occasionally.

Edited by doggie888888

Get a mosquito racquet as mentioned, and a small indoor UV lamp zapper. Turn off the lights and leave it on while you're out some evening. Come back and there won't be any mosquitos to bother you.

Avoid chemical sprays.

Got to say this: :)

Mostly useless information, DeaconJohn, as far as immediate relief is concerned.

Mosquito racquets are fun, but you can't stand about waving one all the time. And UV lamps DO NOT work. Mosquitoes (the females that bite) are attracted by carbon dioxide, not UV light - that is my practical experience, and the experience of several studies. Any mozzies found in such a trap are there purely by accident. Lemongrass plants also do not work - again, my experience. Best is screens, vigilance (looking for open water) and mozzie coils. And various scents can help a little (do your research).

I notice that there are several ANDROID apps on offer that claim to repel mosquitos...anybody ever tried any of them?

While on the topic, has anybody ever tried any of the "plug-in" anti-mosquito devices on sale at most supermarkets?

When I lived for a while in an old wooden Thai house in an Udon Thani moo ban, we always hung a mosquito net canopy over the bed and made sure it had no gaps. Pretty effective really...no blind swatting at that one that always seemed to buzz around your ear. Canopy nets probably wouldn't be a bad idea even in a Bangkok condo if mozzies are a problem at night. I believe there are some available already treated with repellant.

Weirdest thing has happened recently in our house but there is some firm science behind this. I started to maintain a sourdough starter. This is a perpetually fermenting mix of water and flour. The funny thing is that ALL the mosquitoes make a bee-line for it making tennis racquet zapping nice and simple. The science is that it puts out CO and CO2 mimicking mammalian breathing which is what mosquitoes are mostly attracted to.

This could be used to make a trap with the addition of an empty bottle and a small black bin liner. If anybody is interested I'll detail all this.

• Like 1

As many Thai windows are sliders, install a net on the outside "permanently" Then when you open the window you don't have to dick-about with the net (letting the buggers in). Simple really.

I had a whole house fitted with nets in this way for under 5000 baht and never had a problem.

Now Thais will naturally think this method is madness as they like there method (that doesn't work) of installing screens on the inside (so you have to open the screen to open the window letting the little buggers in)

Living with insects in the house is a sure fire way to drive anyone bonkers, just ask sangchai.

Weirdest thing has happened recently in our house but there is some firm science behind this. I started to maintain a sourdough starter. This is a perpetually fermenting mix of water and flour. The funny thing is that ALL the mosquitoes make a bee-line for it making tennis racquet zapping nice and simple. The science is that it puts out CO and CO2 mimicking mammalian breathing which is what mosquitoes are mostly attracted to.

This could be used to make a trap with the addition of an empty bottle and a small black bin liner. If anybody is interested I'll detail all this.

Put your starter in this thing! I think you are on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNjyLRQutXs

• Like 1

Avoid chemical sprays.

Got to say this: smile.png

Mostly useless information, DeaconJohn, as far as immediate relief is concerned.

Mosquito racquets are fun, but you can't stand about waving one all the time. And UV lamps DO NOT work. Mosquitoes (the females that bite) are attracted by carbon dioxide, not UV light - that is my practical experience, and the experience of several studies. Any mozzies found in such a trap are there purely by accident. Lemongrass plants also do not work - again, my experience. Best is screens, vigilance (looking for open water) and mozzie coils. And various scents can help a little (do your research).

The UV zappers that use octenol bait attract and kill the females as well.

Those are the ones to get.

You're the one who needs to do your research Wit.

Whats the odds this guy will bring a relationship or sin sod variety up next, all the usual troll topics......

post-216108-0-24114500-1416220138_thumb.

Might be really inventive and think of a way NOT to Thai bash, predictable and boring

Edited by RolandRat
  • Like 1

@draftvader. I think you should learn the difference between the two most common flying small black insects, namely mosquitoes and fruit flies. Fruit flies are highly attracted to fermentation aromas, and various fruits. They want the old fruits because of the fermentation naturally happening there. I do not think mozzies are interested in the same foods.

For the OP. The mozzie nets/tent covering the bed at night are cheapest, least damaging to your health, and most effective but only when you are in the tent. When sitting around at night typing or watching the tube, the net is useless. Time to go to bed.

I built two houses and made them as airtight as i could, doors and windows all are virtually airtight, Its VERY rare I ever get one in but usually its the maid leaving the door wide open while she cleans, a good beating put an end to that.

When I open the front door the ceilings metal creaks as it has a job sucking the air out.

I rarely open windows although after 9am I might briefly just to air the house.

Works for me.

As many Thai windows are sliders, install a net on the outside "permanently" Then when you open the window you don't have to dick-about with the net (letting the buggers in). Simple really.

I had a whole house fitted with nets in this way for under 5000 baht and never had a problem.

Now Thais will naturally think this method is madness as they like there method (that doesn't work) of installing screens on the inside (so you have to open the screen to open the window letting the little buggers in)

Living with insects in the house is a sure fire way to drive anyone bonkers, just ask sangchai.

Local Thais really dont care much about insects by me, front doors wide open, lights full on after 6pm their houses must be "alive" inside.

I even put screens on the maids house airbricks.

All external doors have the brush strips fitted at the bottoms too, I dont get any jing joks or any insects.

Edited by kannot

@draftvader. I think you should learn the difference between the two most common flying small black insects, namely mosquitoes and fruit flies. Fruit flies are highly attracted to fermentation aromas, and various fruits. They want the old fruits because of the fermentation naturally happening there. I do not think mozzies are interested in the same foods.

For the OP. The mozzie nets/tent covering the bed at night are cheapest, least damaging to your health, and most effective but only when you are in the tent. When sitting around at night typing or watching the tube, the net is useless. Time to go to bed.

They are not interested in the starter but the gases it gives off. They are similarly interested in beer and commercial yeast.

Whats the odds this guy will bring a relationship or sin sod variety up next, all the usual troll topics......

attachicon.giftroll2.jpg

Might be really inventive and think of a way NOT to Thai bash, predictable and boring

Well said RR. I suspect the OP might have a problem with rodents next. He's very predictable IMO.

It could well be a Gerbil infestation Mr ND

• Like 1

attachicon.giftroll2.jpg

Well said RR. I suspect the OP might have a problem with rodents next. He's very predictable IMO.
It could well be a Gerbil infestation Mr ND

Sounds like a gang bang, young Mr Toad.

• Like 1