North Korea 'disappointed' that U.S. offered only a letter in exchange for prisoners

webfact

North Korea 'Disappointed' That U.S. Offered Only a Letter in Exchange for Prisoners
The American director of national intelligence remains optimistic.
ALLEN MCDUFFEE

WASHINGTON: -- In an interview that aired on Sunday on CBS's Face The Nation, U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper described his secret mission to North Korea last week to seek the release of two American prisoners as a reason for optimism—even if North Korean officials were "disappointed" that all he had to offer was a letter from President Obama.

"I think the major message from them was their disappointment that there wasn’t some offer or some big—again, the term they used was 'breakthrough,'" Clapper said about his trip to Pyongyang.

"We weren't sure how this was going to play out," said Clapper, adding, "I, personally, was not completely confident that they would actually release our two citizens."

The two Americans—Kenneth Bae, a 46-year-old missionary from Washington state sentenced to 15 years hard labor in 2013 for unspecified crimes, and Matthew Todd Miller, 24, sentenced to six years for "hostile acts" against the state—were released after secret negotiations that involved Clapper, the Swedish government, and North Korean officials.

Full story: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/11/clapper-describes-secret-mission-to-north-korea-to-free-bae-and-miller/382809/

-- The Atlantic 2014-11-17

These two knowingly broke the law and should have been left there.

Yep.

The US government would be doing a far better thing looking into US citizens locked up in Thailand. If they've broken the law, then too bad, but I feel sure there are some who have been stitched up.

What happened to the guy caught trying to swim to Suu Kyi's residence in Burma a few years ago? Did he get rescued?

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

Yep.

The US government would be doing a far better thing looking into US citizens locked up in Thailand. If they've broken the law, then too bad, but I feel sure there are some who have been stitched up.

Happy to agree with that

What happened to the guy caught trying to swim to Suu Kyi's residence in Burma a few years ago? Did he get rescued?

I don't recall. I recall the event where he stayed the night but don't know what happened after that.

Most of these people over the years have been Christians trying to spread the good news in a country that does not want to hear it so have taken it upon themselves to enter illegally or entered legally under false pretences. The usual reason given for release is that the person is suffering from mental issues which is a cop out really as Christianity is in itself a mental issue from the get go.

I am glad they were released but not sure when people will learn not to pursue personal agendas

and break the law in countries like North Korea. Yes the laws are stupid and go contrary to laws

and rights in there home countries but that is the law of the land.

Yep.

Happy to agree with that

I don't recall. I recall the event where he stayed the night but don't know what happened after that.

Most of these people over the years have been Christians trying to spread the good news in a country that does not want to hear it so have taken it upon themselves to enter illegally or entered legally under false pretences. The usual reason given for release is that the person is suffering from mental issues which is a cop out really as Christianity is in itself a mental issue from the get go.

Imagine if Thailand had a law against those who come to proselytize....would clear a bunch of Bible Beaters right out....do Thai people who have their own spiritual beliefs that are around 500 years older than Christianity really need bible beaters to tell them that the Thai belief is all wrong and that they the all knowing arrogant Christians have it all right.

I think not.

Imagine if Thailand had a law against those who come to proselytize....would clear a bunch of Bible Beaters right out....do Thai people who have their own spiritual beliefs that are around 500 years older than Christianity really need bible beaters to tell them that the Thai belief is all wrong and that they the all knowing arrogant Christians have it all right.

I think not.

Don't remember if it was the Mormons or JWs but some 4-5 years ago one was given a warning for their aggressive proselytising