Two face manslaughter charge for death of Dane's Thai wife in Uthai Thani

webfact

Thailand, hub of murder. I wonder why the policeman didn't want to be named? Scared about repercussions?

Not even close to a hub, maybe a spoke

attachicon.gifAI-CH908_LATAM_G_20140412014204.jpg

Assuming of course, that Thailand actually reports all the homicides that happen here.....

Why Thailand? You think the countries that top that list are less corrupt?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must have quite some assault with a stick to cause her death. Sounds like a very rough family. Feel sorry for the innocents.

Briggsy,

You actually bring up a very good point.

I have not read about an autopsy for cause of death but the initial news report provided a timeline that did leave open the possibility her death was the result of medical treatment.

Not saying it was, but the possibility exists and cause of death would need to be determined since it was not immediate upon being struck. It was atleast 48 hours later based on the news report (ofcourse, we know what those are worth). It also stated her first hospital visit included an x-ray and she was sent home. It was only later that her husband then took her to a second hospital where she remained for 24 hours and her throat started swelling.

The initial report only indicated she had been struck once in the head--it did not indicate she was struck in the throat where the swelling took place.

The type of medication she was likely to have been given, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are a common cause of angioedema, which causes deep swelling and can restrict breathing to the point of suffocation.

Yes, it would be irresponsible not to speculate.

• Like 1

Posts containing overly derogatory comments toward Thais have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Must have quite some assault with a stick to cause her death. Sounds like a very rough family. Feel sorry for the innocents.

Well, a baseball bat is a stick. A cricket bat might also be called a stick. A three-foot length of 2"x4" lumber is a stick. I think if you bash somebody in the head with one it might have serious foreseeable physical consequences, unless you are living in a cartoon world or PC game.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1

Well, a baseball bat is a stick. A cricket bat might also be called a stick. A three-foot length of 2"x4" lumber is a stick. I think if you bash somebody in the head with one it might have serious physical consequences, unless you are living in a cartoon world or PC game.

Was it not reported that it was a bamboo "stick"?

Or perhaps a stick of bamboo?

Well, a baseball bat is a stick. A cricket bat might also be called a stick. A three-foot length of 2"x4" lumber is a stick. I think if you bash somebody in the head with one it might have serious physical consequences, unless you are living in a cartoon world or PC game.

There are different kinds of bamboo. Some of them are very dense and heavy. They were traditionally used for weapons in Thailand, sometimes dressed up as walking sticks. I just had a clump of bamboo in front of my house cut down. Some of those were three inches thick and as heavy as an equal length of iron pipe.

Thailand, hub of murder. I wonder why the policeman didn't want to be named? Scared about repercussions?

As a Brit you are on average 16 times more likely to to be murdered in Thailand than ay other country. That's significant. Don't know bout other nationalities but I'd expect it to be similar.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-tourists-murdered-in-thailand-the-sinister-streak-lurking-beneath-seeming-paradise-9733837.html

There are different kinds of bamboo. Some of them are very dense and heavy. They were traditionally used for weapons in Thailand, sometimes dressed up as walking sticks. I just had a clump of bamboo in front of my house cut down. Some of those were three inches thick and as heavy as an equal length of iron pipe.

Don't get me wrong. I know just enough about bamboo to know I don't want to get hit with it by an angry Thai male.

Briggsy,

I have not read about an autopsy for cause of death but the initial news report provided a timeline that did leave open the possibility her death was the result of medical treatment.

Not saying it was, but the possibility exists and cause of death would need to be determined since it was not immediate upon being struck. It was atleast 48 hours later based on the news report (ofcourse, we know what those are worth). It also stated her first hospital visit included an x-ray and she was sent home. It was only later that her husband then took her to a second hospital where she remained for 24 hours and her throat started swelling.

The initial report only indicated she had been struck once in the head--it did not indicate she was struck in the throat where the swelling took place.

The type of medication she was likely to have been given, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are a common cause of angioedema, which causes deep swelling and can restrict breathing to the point of suffocation.

Yes, it would be irresponsible not to speculate.

These drugs are given to people who have suffered head injuries in order to reduce swelling on the brain and these drugs do frequently cause this condition. Angioedema is caused over 50% of the time by one drug, ibuprofen; an allergy is to be expected in approximately 1 in 100 patients and angioedema will occur sporadically for about 25% of the population at some point. Certain conditions, such as asthma, massively increase the rate of angioedema. I am not speculating that this is what happened, just that this is a plausible explanation as to why her neck swelled so much she could not breath two days after the incident. And, this is just a forum, I have no duty, so there is no irresponsibility on my part, thanks.

As a Brit you are on average 16 times more likely to to be murdered in Thailand than ay other country. That's significant. Don't know bout other nationalities but I'd expect it to be similar.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-tourists-murdered-in-thailand-the-sinister-streak-lurking-beneath-seeming-paradise-9733837.html

Crikey, that's a bit of a damning article and statistic. My kids won't be visiting Thailand again, that's for sure. Last year my daughter went to Cambodia for the summer (she's a teacher) and worked on a project helping build accommodation for villages. She was awed by the welcome and hospitality of everybody. Why would anybody put their cock on the block - so to speak - and risk being murdered, no matter how relatively small that risk is in reality?

I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant Thailand has the lowest in Asia? One thing seems clear is that a lot of murders go unreported as would have been the case with Danish chap's wife. If not for him nobody would have been any the wiser

"...a lot of murders go unreported as would have been the case with Danish chap's wife"

That's a very astute observation, the murder of this Thai woman would have gone unreported if it had nor been reported?

And how would you know that a lot of murders are not reported? If they are known about then they must have been reported. If they are not known about then how do you know they happened?

Edited by Sviss Geez
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant Thailand has the lowest in Asia? One thing seems clear is that a lot of murders go unreported as would have been the case with Danish chap's wife. If not for him nobody would have been any the wiser

"...a lot of murders go unreported as would have been the case with Danish chap's wife"

That's a very astute observation, the murder of this Thai woman would have gone unreported if it had nor been reported?

Yes and very astute of you too. But the point is, if the Danish bloke had not kicked up a fuss - remember the police were unhelpful - with his embassy, the murder would have not been reported. And the people responsible would not be charged (they might not yet, but TIT) I don't know which part of that confused you geez?

• Like 1

There have been 13 British people murdered in the past 5 years and in the same period over 4 million British tourists have visited Thailand. That is a rate of 0.13 per 100,000.

250,000 British tourists visit Barbados each year. A British man was fatally stabbed there this year. That is a rate of 0.4 per 100,000. 3 times more likely for a Brit to be murdered in Barbados than Thailand.

Similarly, 185,000 British tourists visit Jamaica each year, this year one British man was shot dead. That is a rate of 0.5 per 100,000. 4 times more likely for a Brit to be murdered in Jamaica than Thailand.

Your post does not include your statistic. How was it calculated?

There have been 13 British people murdered in the past 5 years and in the same period over 4 million British tourists have visited Thailand. That is a rate of 0.13 per 100,000.

250,000 British tourists visit Barbados each year. A British man was fatally stabbed there this year. That is a rate of 0.4 per 100,000. 3 times more likely for a Brit to be murdered in Barbados than Thailand.

Similarly, 185,000 British tourists visit Jamaica each year, this year one British man was shot dead. That is a rate of 0.5 per 100,000. 4 times more likely for a Brit to be murdered in Jamaica than Thailand.

Never mind murder, how about this for a new trend. Could Thailand become the "Nut-hub" of Asia or indeed the World?? This is mental!

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mans-genitals-stolen-during-trip-to-thailand/

My guess is the two attackers will be arrested and then let out on bail, as the concept of bail is not understood properly by the Thai judicial system.

Once granted bail, I guess the two attackers will do everything in their power to intimidate Palle and intimidate/bribe any other potential witnesses. Even if Palle is brave he has to protect his son, so they will likely succeed in scaring Palle out of Thailand so he cannot testify in court. And then the court will dismiss the case for lack of witnesses. TIT

• Like 2

Actually I was being facetious in the beginning as the government seem to think Thailand is just about the hub of everything, or will be! But your right, hitmen probably don't go out with a piece of bamboo to kill their target but it does seem villagers do as in the case in question here. I'm happy to hear your legal opinion though and if you think it's manslaughter then I guess I'll bow down to your legal expertise. Having said that , the fact that they went armed would make it pre-meditated, right? Anyway, I'm bored with your simplistic assumptions of what you think I'm saying now. So adios.

What country doesn't like to think they are the center of the universe?

Sure, it was a premeditated attack, they brought a weapon, so no doubt about that. For it to be murder there has to be the premeditation of killing not just harming the victim. The 'murderers' hit the victim once, observed her stand back up, then they walked off. They did not think she would die and did not want her to die or they would have continued to hit her until she was certainly dead, therefore not murder.

Quite a simple deduction, I would of thought someone as astute as you would of picked up on it.

Never mind murder, how about this for a new trend. Could Thailand become the "Nut-hub" of Asia or indeed the World?? This is mental!

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mans-genitals-stolen-during-trip-to-thailand/

Good job it's a joke!

Yes, but I am sure on the Asian chart Thailand will be in the top list with the Philippines.

Asia has the lowest rate of murder of all the continents.

#1 Myanmar

#2 Turkmenistan

#3 Mongolia

#4 Kyrgyztan

#5 Philippines

#6 Iraq

#7 Kazakhstan

#8 Pakistan

#9 Palestine

#10 Cambodia

#11 Afghanistan

#12 Laos

#13 North Korea

#14 Thailand

Just within the ASEAN group Thailand comes 5th out of 10, Thailand does not top any lists for murder.

Slightly off topic, but how on earth does anyone know what the murder stats are for North Korea? The place is a closed off totalitarian state for goodness sake.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but how on earth does anyone know what the murder stats are for North Korea? The place is a closed off totalitarian state for goodness sake.

By reading the reports released by the Central Bureau of Statistics of North Korea.

The reality is no one knows if any of these statistics are accurate, they are just what each respective country has chosen to release.

I have a book of world statistics compiled by the UN from submissions from every country, the US gave their literacy rate as 106%.

well done the Danish embassy

Its a step in the right direction but remember up til now we have only heard one side of the story. Now an investigation will occur and we will hear another side.

This side may suggest the wife, Pim, had an affair with the man she told her husband raped her.

Witnesses are mostly family members and have loyalties to blood family and influential family members. They will be making testimony based on these allegiances as well as feat of retribution for negative testimony.

In other words, this is the first step and nothing to get ones hopes up about.

All this is fine but she did get hit on the head by a guy with a big stick who went there to do just that, the rest is unimportant, premeditated.

• Like 1

"has apparently been fast-tracked after the Danish Embassy in Thailand stepped in to help a distraught Palle Jensen formally press charge against their alleged attackers."

Let's translate that to "Oh, shit. someone noticed we are not doing our job" as in Koh whatever and Blue Diamonds and all that.

DUH

And how would you know that a lot of murders are not reported? If they are known about then they must have been reported. If they are not known about then how do you know they happened?

Interesting. On another thread you ask Jinthing to substantiate how many unreported murders their are.

So many short, sarcastic, comments or devil's advocate type questions. Yet never an opinion expressed.

Confirms your intentions on this site. Off you go now, back under your bridge.

• Like 1

Briggsy,

The small Amphoe Government hospitals, have mostly a lousy, old equipment (X-ray machine)

Good possibility they overlooked something. whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Yes, but I am sure on the Asian chart Thailand will be in the top list with the Philippines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Philippinen 8,8 per 100.000 inhabitants, Cambodia 6.5 p. 100.000, Laos 6, Thailand 5 .......

• Like 1

By reading the reports released by the Central Bureau of Statistics of North Korea.

The reality is no one knows if any of these statistics are accurate, they are just what each respective country has chosen to release.

I have a book of world statistics compiled by the UN from submissions from every country, the US gave their literacy rate as 106%.

The USA probably include those who speak, read, and write a second language for a bonus %. thumbsup.gif

The USA probably include those who speak, read, and write a second language for a bonus %. thumbsup.gif

LOL. The real figure is 86% literacy, just above the world average but, also down with all the other developing countries.