Phuket Immigration warns of Education Visa crackdown.

Those who keep abusing the visas are going to make it harder for those who follow the rules, or make it close to impossible to obtain.

I feel sorry for those who follow the laws and rules, by the looks of it, the laws are getting tougher with each passing month.

What does

- continue as they are now- mean?

no problem for chronical abscent students?

A part of the extension paperwork is an attendance report.

According to people I know attending one of the larger language schools, attendance reports provided by the school to give to immigratuon have no connection to actual attendance at the school. (Unless this has changed in the last couple months.)

If a school correctly marked attendance for a non attending student, would they receive their extension?

Should schools be required to accurately report students attendance to immigration?

Have you considered doing a basic English course?

• Like 1

Nonsense, how can somebody be deported for not attending classes. They already have a visa, extension of which should be reviewed based on previous class attendance history.

Read post #16, if you don't follow their rules, you are breaking the law, simple as that, and they have no obligation to give you any further visa's or indeed even allow you to stay + it makes it harder for EVERYONE else who IS here legally and not abusing the system to get their own visa's done in the long run.

Ever considered things getting harder is nothing to do with the actions of other expats? I see that assumption written over and over on these boards, with little to base it on. I mean the government is making things harder for people with work permits and legal businesses now, maybe they just don't like any foreigners and decide to make things hard, regardless of whether they break laws or not? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777983-thailand-eyeing-tighter-restrictions-on-foreign-businesses/

• Like 1

This is good news indeed. I know a teacher working at a lamguage school in Pattaya who tells me that some Russians never show up to their classes , they just pay for the visa and the school never see them again.

Edited by balo

Nonsense, how can somebody be deported for not attending classes. They already have a visa, extension of which should be reviewed based on previous class attendance history.

Read post #16, if you don't follow their rules, you are breaking the law, simple as that, and they have no obligation to give you any further visa's or indeed even allow you to stay + it makes it harder for EVERYONE else who IS here legally and not abusing the system to get their own visa's done in the long run.

Ever considered things getting harder is nothing to do with the actions of other expats? I see that assumption written over and over on these boards, with little to base it on. I mean the government is making things harder for people with work permits and legal businesses now, maybe they just don't like any foreigners and decide to make things hard, regardless of whether they break laws or not? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777983-thailand-eyeing-tighter-restrictions-on-foreign-businesses/

I do believe there is some bias/hatred/racism towards foreigners. But it's unfair if the honest foreigners get picked on. My father went through this when I was born an so did my mother, they need to readjust this system so the honest get better treatment while the dishonest get screwed over.

It isn't fair. It's going to be very diffiult for my dad to visit me in the future :(

I mentioned that there was a crackdown on ED visas a couple of days ago.

It's the end of the road for illegitimate visa holders.

You realise there's been a 'crackdown' nearly every year for going on an decade

2009 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/322740-ed-visa-crackdown/

Here they are in 2011 saying students must attend classes http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/480875-thai-immigration-crackdown-on-ed-visas/

2013 new visa history checks, proof of income, forms stating reasons for studying (none happened) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

More to be found with the search function

Edited by jspill

There is always some new immigration captain who says he is going to do this and goimg to do that but he soon realises he is taking food out of the mouths of thais and is quickly put back in his place. Money talks and bullshit goes for a very long walk here.

• Like 1

Good point

The crackdown/tightening of rules is not limited to Ed visa.

Back to back visa restrictions.

Reduced number of days crossing land borders

People with master's degree in physics being denied work permits after teaching 4 years (4 years is the maximum without an education degree - other degrees don't matter)

The Ed visa is the only long time visa without a proof of finances requirement.

Be thankful.

Thailand may feel there are too many long time guests in their country.

Some new rules are affecting me or my friends but I think the new rules have merit.

I believe I am their guest in their country.

I could not insist I want to live in someone's spare bedroom claiming I am keeping the room clean and causing no harm. I could even clean their house. If the host doesn't want me then I must leave.

Good point

People with master's degree in physics being denied work permits after teaching 4 years (4 years is the maximum without an education degree - other degrees don't matter)

Be thankful.

Some new rules are affecting me or my friends but I think the new rules have merit.

I could not insist I want to live in someone's spare bedroom claiming I am keeping the room clean and causing no harm. I could even clean their house. If the host doesn't want me then I must leave.

true but if the guest was helping educate my children and paying my rent as well as his own i'd be a little more thankful :)

• Like 2

I don't always agree with their rules but it is their country.

I can tell them about all the benefits of me staying but still their choice.

I know teachers with master's degrees in physics returning to school and paying over 200,000 baht to get an education degree to comply with new rules.

Either re educate or leave.

I think harsh rules but no choice. If someone want to live legally.

My thought is that after the crackdown there might be easing of rules on other areas.

I don't always agree with their rules but it is their country.

I can tell them about all the benefits of me staying but still their choice.

I know teachers with master's degrees in physics returning to school and paying over 200,000 baht to get an education degree to comply with new rules.

Either re educate or leave.

I think harsh rules but no choice. If someone want to live legally.

My thought is that after the crackdown there might be easing of rules on other areas.

I agree. I just think people are bored and fed up of constant ideas, clampdowns, but no future planning or direction. Seems to be one idea once, then when they see the effect, go back to square one. As with the Government recently admitting they didn't intend or want the clampdown to drive away the teachers. Well, what did they expect?

I know 3 or 4 people who are doing that, doing their master's in Education; the problem is not one of them plans to stay at their current job when they get the degree as their work just doesn't pay enough.

I think Thailand needs to accept what it is; it won't attract the best teachers if it doesn't pay the best money. You won't get good teachers if the requirement is a degree in whatever - unless it's in Education - it's like a mechanic getting a job in a garage because they have a degree in Biology, makes zero sense. You don't need 4 years of University study to teach TEFL. However, just having a 120 hour TEFL certificate isn't acceptable too. What the solution is, I don't know. It's about finding qualified, passionate and experienced teachers.

If they get rid of the illegal teachers on Ed visas and Tourist visas, for sure you will get rid of loads of awful ones, but good ones too. Those will need replacing, and you will be replacing them with mainly backpackers with degrees but no experience, who won't give a monkeys, is that really what Thailand wants?

The problem is there are too many lowlifes here that I think Thailand wants to get rid of and I don't blame them. Many of these lowlifes are also on proper visas too though. Maybe one way is clean up the lawlessness of this country, clean up the sex industry and most of these lowlifes will leave.

I find some sexpat, boiler room worker or pimp far more of a worry to this country than someone not turning up to all their Thai lessons to get the Ed visa. But it seems there are many people on here get outraged when someone isn't on the right visa but turns a blind eye to picking up hookers and dodgy dealings, which are far, far ethically worse.

• Like 1

Using a visa for a purpose other than the purpose for which is was issued is an incorrect use, an abuse, of the visa.

So what is the difference between student and non-attending student? Tell me, how is that abuse? It seems some of you here would deport for jaywalking if it were up to you.

Deporting for mere non-attending of classes with no prove of working illegally or criminal activities. Jaysus! That is basically deporting for jaywalking.

sir

easy answer

Attending students have nothing to worry about, non attending students will get deported

Using a visa for a purpose other than the purpose for which is was issued is an incorrect use, an abuse, of the visa.

So what is the difference between student and non-attending student? Tell me, how is that abuse? It seems some of you here would deport for jaywalking if it were up to you.

Deporting for mere non-attending of classes with no prove of working illegally or criminal activities. Jaysus! That is basically deporting for jaywalking.

sir

easy answer

Attending students have nothing to worry about, non attending students will get deported

Good point

Be thankful.

I agree,

All this mamby pamby attitude of ed visa holders. i hope they do the same for extension for retirement, show 800,000 baht in thai bank, now there would be some stained pants.

• Like 2

Is this "extension" the same as the 90 day show at Phuket Immi? what would happen if you missed the 90 day show because you were travelling around Thailand for a couple of month is this overstay??

Cheers

No, 90 days report is not the same as extension.

If you're travelling you can do the 90 days report by mail, if you miss that you get a fine. If you miss an extension you're on overstay.

ED visa holders who have been here 2+ years, what do you live on, and how many are working illegaly. You should have to show a minimum of 40,000 baht a month to stay here

Only been in Thailand for a year. Live on money saved from working my ass off for the past 10 years. If you don't blow all your cash away when working & actually save, you will have some $$$ to use later on. Spend more than 40k baht per month myself compared to some of the oldies who count every baht & live as cheaply as possible.

• Like 1

Maybe if they don't like foreigners they should deport the fathers/mothers of all those luuk kreung Thai soap "superstars" they love so much & make it hard for them to stay here too. I don't think it would go down well for them & will get a lot of bad publicity from the people Thais love watching on tv every night...

ED visa holders who have been here 2+ years, what do you live on, and how many are working illegaly. You should have to show a minimum of 40,000 baht a month to stay here

Only been in Thailand for a year. Live on money saved from working my ass off for the past 10 years. If you don't blow all your cash away when working & actually save, you will have some $$$ to use later on. Spend more than 40k baht per month myself compared to some of the oldies who count every baht & live as cheaply as possible.

...and the purpose of making the comparison "...to some of the oldies who count every baht & live as cheaply as possible"?

...and the purpose of making the comparison "...to some of the oldies who count every baht & live as cheaply as possible"?

To indicate self entitlement ?

To indicate self entitlement ?

You did that quite admirably up until the words "...compared to..." The "oldies" all here on a Retirement Visa have lodged with a Thai bank at least 800,000 baht as a condition of obtaining their visa. I am sure that most would have worked their asses off for 40 to 50 years. Furthermore, many would spend double and sometimes triple the amount you spend in a month. However, if one wishes to be thrifty and not spend, that is entirely a personal choice and nothing whatsoever to do with visa rorting. So now just where does all that get us? It still doesn't get away from the fact that many Ed Visa holders are rorting the system and may well induce Thai officialdom to look more closely at those Ed Visa holders who are legitimate.

• Like 1

You know plenty of oldies then????

Someone who worked their asses off for 40 to 50 years as opposed the guy who worked 10 years,.... is that another example to show another form of self entitlement or am i wrong?

If you have 800,000 baht shouldn't matter age, everyone get's to that figure in their own way working hard or can be getting it handed to them which is the honest truth...... just being devils advocate for fairness sake fellas.

So would you say it would be fair for these people on ED visa for anyone to stay here regardless if they can show they have 40,000 a month income or a bank balance of 800,000 baht?

Edited by Markphuket