Ut oh! The first I8 crash in the world, guess where?

WarpSpeed

BMW i8 Crash in Thailand is World’s First

BMW-i8-vs-Navara-004.jpg

Sure it’s cool to be the first on your block to own the BMW i8. But it’s not cool to be the first owner involved in a crash of the electric supercar.

One unlucky man in Thailand owns that distinction. On a sad day last month, his plug-in hybrid was struck hard on the passenger side by a Nissan Navara. A lowly pickup has brought down the mighty Morphin Power Ranger known as the i8.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-i8-crash-thailand-world-first-130022702.html

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

Pretty sure there is quite a bit of expensive damage to the interior too, since it's certain the side curtain and seat bolster air bags went off. It's still more about being the first crashed one in the entire world and the irony (or not) of it happening in Thailand, speaks volumes, not a milestone I'd aspire to achieve.. On the up side if you can look this car up in a few months or so it may be for sale and sell @ a decent discount, at least you'd know it's history so you could deal better.

Nissan guy had better hope that the i8 isn't a write off... most insurance policies here restrict the third party property damage cover to 1m THB, the rest will be coming from his pocket!

The BM was probably pulling out expecting other poor road users to recognize a car that is much high soo and the Nissan driver thought it was a Accord, and if the i8 owner ain't 1st class then hard luck on the poor rich bugger. amen.

aaaah - the sweet sound of jealousy!

• Like 1

Nissan guy had better hope that the i8 isn't a write off... most insurance policies here restrict the third party property damage cover to 1m THB, the rest will be coming from his pocket!

The BM was probably pulling out expecting other poor road users to recognize a car that is much high soo and the Nissan driver thought it was a Accord, and if the i8 owner ain't 1st class then hard luck on the poor rich bugger. amen.

Yeah but it also seems that, like I've been saying, the sight line on larger vehicles is not for amateur drivers (especially female) as they have very little depth perception and lack awareness of their vehicles parameters so not very good for driving in cities. Should be on farms or delivering goods on long distances between locations where they belong and not generally perusing the city streets, Even if they were delivering on local roads at least that would be professional daily drivers and the numbers of them would be lower versus the grocery or mall shopping mom, GF or older expat that came to Thailand without a clue about driving in such heavy traffic and bought his big battering ram for protection out of insecurity instead of actually driving.. In some countries, Thailand not withstanding, this truck driver might be thinking about his life for hitting this guys car never mind paying for damage..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

aaaah - the sweet sound of jealousy!

Not sure where that is directed, had a BM in UK 5 series 3.0 like it but over rated for the dosh, someone buying a BM in Thailand has got to have more money than sense IMHO although I can understand the Thai person directive, Merc's much better.laugh.png but still would pay the prices for a German taxi in Thailand.

• Like 1

You have to admit though KW this is a rather exceptional Bimmer.. Definitely on a different level in that it's not just serving the purpose of being ostentatious like so many are in Thailand, it's green as well which kind of neutralizes it's perception somewhat..

• Like 1

You have to admit though KW this is a rather exceptional Bimmer.. Definitely on a different level in that it's not just serving the purpose of being ostentatious like so many are in Thailand, it's green as well which kind of neutralizes it's perception somewhat..

Yeah get you, nice looking motor though reminds a bit of the old 6 series.

• Like 1

Yeah get you, nice looking motor though reminds a bit of the old 6 series.

Yeah it does have that retro styling a bit too, and I do like that style myself. There is one up the road for sale in a dealership here (not an I) but it ruins my romantic perception of them when I see it in such poor condition as it is, it looks ok from a distance outwardly but when I get up close and look it makes those parts go limp, you know? Lipstick on a pig..

• Like 1