Android 5.0 Lollipop available OTA now.

fertilizer

Seeing a lot of reports of excessive battery drain on N-6's running "L".

I had that problem (on the N7) when KitKat first came out! Following some blogs, I uninstalled all the Google App updates, let them reinstall and it worked OK

We shall see......

Edited by VBF

I got Lollipop on my Nexus 5 yesterday. So far I like it, not noticed any battery drains yet. However, one thing I don't like is that when I hold down the power button, I now only get the option to turn the phone off, whereas before, you used to be able to put it on silent or turn vibrate on/off when holding down the power button. Now you don't get that option.

Also, when you press the menu button, does anyone know how to change the white background? I don't mind the white but would be interested to see what a darker colour looks like.

I got Lollipop on my Nexus 5 yesterday. So far I like it, not noticed any battery drains yet. However, one thing I don't like is that when I hold down the power button, I now only get the option to turn the phone off, whereas before, you used to be able to put it on silent or turn vibrate on/off when holding down the power button. Now you don't get that option.

I never noticed the ringer options on that menu before. Learn something new everyday.

Anyway, I have been using a widget to set the ringer options... SilentMode OnOff by CurveFish. Much more convenient that pressing the power button.

GinBoy2, on 19 Nov 2014 - 05:46, said:

I always wish there was a way to force an update, rather than wait for the push

No way it can ever happen. Unlike other operating systems, typical Android firmware is further developed by the individual hardware manufacturers for a specific hardware device. Some may update it and some won't it depends on the hardware manufacturer's resource when they get around to doing it. Most hardware manufacturers will prioritize based on current production. The newest, most popular, and best selling first. Pure economics!

Any thoughts on it so far? I'm waiting for it to be pushed to my N7

thanks for the topic, I finally received the Nexus 5 OTA Lollipop at 2am yesterday, everything fine and better than before except, that old saying watch out what you pray for since you just might get it.

My Magic Jack for calls to USA does not have the update yet causing it to not be available and since I am in the process of trying to sell my Sukhumvit 13 Condo am not getting the calls that I was expecting for my trip back to USA.

Who would have expected that Magic Jack the big rich Company would not have it together when all my other apps did no problems with them.

So I check Google and then go to Magicjack website and search and no response on Lollipop update. Last resort is support has chat. I have never been satisfied with them in the past but this time I get this response on the update to accommodate Lollipop. The ladies answer was , whenever all the other Smartphone Companies get their OTA update then Magic Jack will fix the update for all.

I said I bought this phone basically because I wanted to get an update for Android Google first or close to it, why do i have to wait til every other Company gets it?

Sorry was the answer we are doing the best we can.

Other than that I do like the update for many fixes and reasons too many to answer but there is a great difference in the overall phone it is like having a new phone in my opinion. Again thanks for the question and topic.

Cheers

I am having a miserable time receiving phone calls on my Google Nexus 4 (latest model) that got the lollipop OTA yesterday,

I continue to hit the ANSWER button and nothing happens. Unfortunately it appears to be a complicated ordeal deal to turn it back to Kit Kat so I am stuck with having to ignore phone calls when received and then have to call them back, then explaining to the caller that I got lollipooped

Not a happy camper am I

• Like 1

Nexus 5 got lollipop at the weekend.

Happy enough except for a couple of apps that have stopped working, and sometimes having to press the power button to get the screen to come on when it rings, so that I can answer.

P.S. If your phone manufacturer takes a long time to release updates, look at cyanogenmod. Had me running jellybean happily on my old Galaxy S when Samsung had stopped doing updates.

With the number of issues/bugs being reported wonder if the OP wants to update us on how his Lollipop has been licking along since he installed it two days ago on 18 Nov?

Android 5.0 is working very well in all aspects and I really like it. After googling it appears N10 has had few problems.

Honestly I expected some problems similar to those other have had with N4 and N7 2012 as it appears to be the case with every major update. But – normally these problems are taken care of within a short time by another update, maybe we will soon have 5.01?

• Like 1

With the number of issues/bugs being reported wonder if the OP wants to update us on how his Lollipop has been licking along since he installed it two days ago on 18 Nov?

Android 5.0 is working very well in all aspects and I really like it. After googling it appears N10 has had few problems.

Honestly I expected some problems similar to those other have had with N4 and N7 2012 as it appears to be the case with every major update. But – normally these problems are taken care of within a short time by another update, maybe we will soon have 5.01?

Well that's what Microsoft does - why shouldn't Google? whistling.gif Thanks for the update though - pleased someone's happy.

Edited by VBF

• 2 weeks later...

Android 5.0.1, an update of Android 5.0 will be available OTA pretty soon. There is no official list of changes, but users will be hoping for fixes to some of the issues that have plagued early Lollipop adopters, including poor wi-fi connectivity, slow performance, short battery life, and video playback failures.

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-produces-android-5-0-1-with-bug-fix-in-tow/

Ditto....BIG problems on Nexus 4. Gmail, Camera, Photo app hangs more times than not. Very slow opening some apps. Slow making phone calls. Seems to get a little better over time or i just got used to it.

I am having a miserable time receiving phone calls on my Google Nexus 4 (latest model) that got the lollipop OTA yesterday,

I continue to hit the ANSWER button and nothing happens. Unfortunately it appears to be a complicated ordeal deal to turn it back to Kit Kat so I am stuck with having to ignore phone calls when received and then have to call them back, then explaining to the caller that I got lollipooped

Not a happy camper am I

Ditto....BIG problems on Nexus 4. Gmail, Camera, Photo app hangs more times than not. Very slow opening some apps. Slow making phone calls. Seems to get a little better over time or i just got used to it.

Not a happy camper am I

Got the OTA yesterday for my Nexus 7 (2nd gen) and it shows as 5.0.1 but after my experience with 5.0 on the Nexus 4 will wait a few days before installing it

I will have to admit that the lollipop on the Nexus 4 has started to straighten out after use, can't help but feel that some of the previously installed apps are what caused the initial problems, especially my phone answering glitch. There appears to be a significant increase in apps wanting updates, which might be related to the initial 5.0 upgrade problems

I got it on my Google Nexus 5. No problems that I know of including no extra battery drain.

I guess I'm getting old because I get tired of learning new things. I wish they'd leave the basic user experience the same so I don't have to hunt for things. If they want to add things fine and if they want to change things under the hood (bonnet for Brits?) fine. I just don't want to start all over learning a new phone. I felt the same about Windows 8. If it weren't for the proggy that makes it look like 7 I'd trash it.

I haven't figured out the benefit to lollipop yet.

Not a happy camper am I

Got the OTA yesterday for my Nexus 7 (2nd gen) and it shows as 5.0.1 but after my experience with 5.0 on the Nexus 4 will wait a few days before installing it

I will have to admit that the lollipop on the Nexus 4 has started to straighten out after use, can't help but feel that some of the previously installed apps are what caused the initial problems, especially my phone answering glitch. There appears to be a significant increase in apps wanting updates, which might be related to the initial 5.0 upgrade problems

5.0.1 is supposed to fix what was broken in 5.....I'm looking at the forums before even moving from KK! Is this Google acting like Microsoft and shipping before testing? whistling.gif Hmmmm.......

Edited by VBF