Thai Banks Holding Monies in Dead Friend's Accounts

They have already spent the money,,, hence all the walls being thrown up every time his solicitor requests release,.,

not to hard to figure that out,,,, coffee1.gif

That is a crock of #$%@.

Really,, and you say that because !!!!!! I have two family members working in two separate Thai banks,,, you would not believe the shit thats goes on...

Interesting! My Thai wife and I have a joint account which enables either of us to draw funds. Should either of us pop off will the survivor still be able to access the account?

It seems Garryp has answered my question.

Yeap, joint account allows full access by the surviving member as long as it's an "or" joint account where either account owner has full access to the money. I guess in Thailand they also have an "and" type of joint account which requires both account owners to be present to get money. But when a person dies and has a Thai bank account only in their name (and possibility an "and" type of joint account) then the court must get involved to clear the way to the money for the surviving spouse, what ever the will may say, other owner, etc....that is, do the probate process.
In my case, it was not a joint account. It was solely in my wife's name. I just happened to correctly guess the PIN number, not so hard as you may think, and then proceeded to withdraw everything. That is why I said it was technically illegal.

Of course they have already spent the money deposited. Everybody knows that it would cause a Bank Run if everybody with a deposit would ask to cash their funds.

But telling this simple truth is already regarded as defamation and might even be considered an attac to national economic "integrity"

The UK took chances in the aftermath of 9/11/2001 to pass a law that allowed unlimited detention without a charge. In 2005 they found out that this would be a violation of Human Rights and replaced it with a new Act which now enables them to hold back property simply by suspicion of "Money Laundering"

They have already spent the money,,, hence all the walls being thrown up every time his solicitor requests release,.,

That is a crock of #$%@.

Really,, and you say that because !!!!!! I have two family members working in two separate Thai banks,,, you would not believe the shit thats goes on...

@dublin

C'mon blow your whistle and let us believe what shit we should know, or I should know not to believe you.

That is a crock of #$%@.

@dublin

C'mon blow your whistle and let us believe what shit we should know, or I should know not to believe you.

TV is not the place to be blowing a whistle,well not for me anyway,,,, believe or don't believe or say its a crock of #$%@ either way "I frankly don't give a dam" I know what i Know wai2.gif peace .

Despite the sooth sayers ramblings you can be sure that if the bank is one of the big 4 the monies will be there waiting.

Go talk to the bank, get their policies, folllow them 7 they will release the funds.

They are only protecting the deceased, relatives, & themselves

• Like 1

@Dublin:

You've got the keywords to google yourself.

You can provide us with some Whistleblower Protection Act for bank customers in UK or EUR zone if you have one.

Panic is not a matter of proof, and we are peaceful people, so we don't shout "Fire" at the wrong time or in the wrong place.

I and another resident were executors, for a foreigner living here. His will left the content of his bank account to his wife, but to be drip fed to her. She did not like this and obtained Thai probate/letters of Admin behind our backs using an out of town lawyer, stating there was no will.

The bank (one of Thailands largest) knew there was a will and had a copy. They were dealing with our Thai lawyer, and were warned that the widow might attempt to obtain the money fraudulently. yet when the letters od Admin were presented to the bank branch, no questions were asked and all the money was handed over to the widow.

Complaints to the banks HO, and to the Bank of Thailand Fraud dept fell on deaf ears.

No doubt there is extensive corruption of this type within Thai banks. A Thai friend was proud of paying the manager of a branch of a large Thai bank a bribe to be able to buy his own foreclosed property back from the bank after he defaulted on his mortgage. Then he defaulted on the mortgage again, causing further losses to the bank but the manager was happy with his 20k. Of course that is nothing compared to what goes on in the Land Dept.