Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

" after a capital increase, the major shareholder now is the company linked to Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, a liquor and property billionaire."

You shouldn't have included that last line in your post, because that name makes ring all alarm bells that weren't activated yet.

I'll drink to that, on the land that I cannot own.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we each have different standards of what we find suspicious. I find it suspicious that a not-yet-formed-company was negotiating a 600 million Baht land deal but they don't register themselves until seven days before the sale. Not exactly like a well-established company with experience in land holding/trading would behave. Considering the size of the deal, I would not have expected any other than a well-established company to do the deal.

You don't need a company to negotiate a sale.

If you a setting up a consortium to by property, why would you set up a company before you had negotiated a deal?

Which all points to the deal being 'closely held'/insider. The land wasn't publicly advertised as being for sale (why not if you wanted to get the highest price?) and the company that bought it didn't disclose its existence until seven days before the sale went through. You have been living in Thailand long enough to know there's something sneaky about this (and most other) transaction(s). My personal belief is that the sale went through quickly to nominees of the PM's father so he/they could avoid the new inheritance tax of 10%. That would be roughly $2,000,000 to the treasury and not in the pocket of the father. Is sixty million Baht not enough incentive?

The company didn't disclose it's existence ... because it didn't exist.

Has it been suggested that 600 million baht was too cheap?

I'm not sure what the laws are now, but couldn't Prayuth's father have given Prayuth the land instead of selling it and giving him cash?

The company didn't disclose it's existence ... because it didn't exist.

Who was doing the negotiating then? It is worthy of investigation.

Has it been suggested that 600 million baht was too cheap?

Who knows, maybe it was overpriced to give more of the father's wealth to the children to avoid the new inheritance tax. It is worthy of investigation.

I'm not sure what the laws are now, but couldn't Prayuth's father have given Prayuth the land instead of selling it and giving him cash?

If the father gave land instead of money, then Prayut's children would be taxed sometime in the future. Maybe Prayut has enough land already. In any case, and for whatever reason, it is clear that the father chose to give cash instead of land. It is worthy of investigation.

No one has tried to explain why the PM became so upset with the question. If there was nothing to hide, why shut down discussion/explanation? Why so sensitive? Dr. Thaksin didn't want to talk about his giving permission to his wife to buy government auctioned assets, either. It turns out he broke well-established law for office holders. The PM is the country's highest office holder and he should be held to the highest standards or else he is all talk. It is worthy of investigation. I'm not passing judgment; I don't know enough of the facts. I just think there should be more than just the PM saying it's his personal business. I didn't accept that from Thaksin so I'm not going to accept it from Prayut.

BTW, the PM, formerly known as Prayuth, has changed his name to Prayut.

• Like 2

Total transparency for all will rid Thailand of corruption. Practice what you preach and you'll gain the respect of your countrymen PM.

ill try and refrain from telling posters like you in nicest possible way instead of what i really think that you are naive silly and have no clue but of course i would not insult you with my inner thoughts about people like you. Facts are facts and I my Thai wife my whole This family (except to be true a couple who got p[aid by red thugs)and loads of Thais we know are 100% behind this PM and to be honest compared with that vile pretender of democracy we had before is a saint. OF occurs he's not he's a normal human being but unlike the dear darling of Issan and her master does we believe genuinely are sure care for well being of Thailand and its people and way of life. It might not fit your idea of western nonsense democracy and to be honest my dear most of us dont give a damm my dear about your views. Were happy stupid fighting has stopped, were happy our children can go to school without fear of some red shirt thugs terrorising the normal people and were 99% happy with new PM. Of course thetis a danger he will become power crazy but it cant be worse than that megalomaniac who controlled Thailand for more than a decade.

Total transparency for all will rid Thailand of corruption. Practice what you preach and you'll gain the respect of your countrymen PM.

ill try and refrain from telling posters like you in nicest possible way instead of what i really think that you are naive silly and have no clue but of course i would not insult you with my inner thoughts about people like you. Facts are facts and I my Thai wife my whole This family (except to be true a couple who got p[aid by red thugs)and loads of Thais we know are 100% behind this PM and to be honest compared with that vile pretender of democracy we had before is a saint. OF occurs he's not he's a normal human being but unlike the dear darling of Issan and her master does we believe genuinely are sure care for well being of Thailand and its people and way of life. It might not fit your idea of western nonsense democracy and to be honest my dear most of us dont give a damm my dear about your views. Were happy stupid fighting has stopped, were happy our children can go to school without fear of some red shirt thugs terrorising the normal people and were 99% happy with new PM. Of course thetis a danger he will become power crazy but it cant be worse than that megalomaniac who controlled Thailand for more than a decade.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Questions asked-- no problem if they are legit, But who reported that he Quote " blew his top " ??? who decided to put this into a topic this way ??
inviting anger, and TVF are wanting to conform to no harsh criticism----- then blasts this heading here. This week there have been more and more invitation to the PM haters, but yet feed them fodder for replies.

Headlines need to be scaled down and fair. so as everyone no matter what opinion can comment without inflated topic headings.

Yes, after further research of the topic it seems that this issue is being used to tarnish the image of the new pm and most of the tarnishing is in anti coup media sites. Just goes to show that the divide in politics is still simmering and the need for reform is paramount to healing old wounds.

Anti-coup media?
Which Thailand are you referring to?
I live in the one where 99% of people rolled over and allowed themselves to be emasculated by a scheming army officer that failed to contain the south and decided to throw himself a coup to celebrate. Media are stepping over themselves to kiss ass on a daily basis.

I swear. If I had known there would be absolutely no resistance whatsoever I would have thrown a coup my damn self.

You live in one ???? # years of PTP failed the south-Thaksin did that before during his stint. Try throwing one, and not a tantrum.

You misread my comment, arbitrarily decided that my outrage at injustice was a "tantrum", and then presented a false dilemma: either Thaksin or a coup- which is at once childish and unimaginative.

Nevermind that you didn't even attempt to respond to the main point; that the media are lapdogs, as opposed "tarnishing" the good name of those very good gentlemen that so politely wiped their ass with the votes of millions of people and casually stole an entire country in broad daylight.

Does that pass for a logical argument where you're from?

Edited by BeforeTigers

I don't have facts other than the fact that a mere Thai general reported personal assets in excess of 600 million baht. Logic would dictate that should wealth isn't possible, unless you choose to defy logic.

Again transparency seems to only be expected from one side of the devide whilst the other side got their wealth legitimately. I'm sure you don't actually believe that, but simply doesn't suit your agenda. People that apply logic, spot people like you from a mile away..

You're mixing up your "facts".

The General reported assets worth (a still very questionable) 100 million baht.

His father sold land for 600 million baht.

In my naivety I was very positive that the new regime in Thailand would bring about genunie change regarding corruption etc, despite the manner in which the current PM 'acquired' his position.

I then read stories in the press of his collection of luxury watches, executive cars and expensive jewellery. Not bad for a man who officially has never earned my than $45,000 per year.

Now I read this story about land deals totalling 600 million THB.

600 million Baht!

That's quite phenominal. That's not just a matter of selling a couple rai of rice paddies. That's a land deal on a huge scale.

So despite all of his talk on anti-corruption is it not unreasonable to say that the current PM is no better than the mob he replaced?

This country will never learn. Corruption will be here long, long after the rest of us has gone.

His father sold the land. The question to ask is how much did his father earn per year.

What about Taxin and Ying have no privacy rights ?

Sounds like tip of an iceberg for the new government.

No, one is a convicted fugitive and the other is under investigation for criminal negligence.

The general's father is neither. Your post is lacking in thought and fact.

Ah, so that must mean it's all above board then. In your view only when the name is Shinawarta transparency is needed. Maybe you should take your own advice before you post such nonsense.

What are the facts? Do you have facts that the general's father is corrupt? The Shins are indeed corrupt. The facts are there. Perhaps you should learn a bit of reason and logic before you post such nonsense.

I don't have facts other than the fact that a mere Thai general reported personal assets in excess of 600 million baht. Logic would dictate that should wealth isn't possible, unless you choose to defy logic.

Again transparency seems to only be expected from one side of the devide whilst the other side got their wealth legitimately. I'm sure you don't actually believe that, but simply doesn't suit your agenda. People that apply logic, spot people like you from a mile away..

Example of logic. You purchase land say 50 years ago for 20,000b per rai. Hold on to it because they just built a major road next to it.. 50 years later one rai is now 10 million baht a rai because it's now an exclusive block of land = 600 million baht.

As for the company registration. It seems to be fairly common here to establish companies to hold land until ready for development etc.. tax dodge probably. But that is Mr C's deal not Mr P's.

Picture of the land in question :

That's the parcel? I wouldn't pay Bt.5,000 for that. It fits with my theory: the less attractive a parcel, the more it costs. That theory was best applied to Bangkok property, when you consider what Bangkok has to offer:

>>> smog, gridlock, crime, political riots every few years, noise, flooding, unfriendly people.

which cost 100 X the price of parcels of land with........

>>> clean air, big trees, birds singing, no gridlock, no flooding, friendly neighbors, low crime, seclusion.

Was the consortium put together hastily or did they take 12 months to put it together, and then once they put it together, the deal got done?

The Shin corp deal is different. It couldn't get done without the law change, but the deal was done very quickly once it was changed. Obviously they knew well ahead of time that the laws were going to change.

This was a standard land deal. As far as I'm aware, there was nothing stopping the deal from going through earlier. There were no laws changed to allow the deal to go through.

I have no doubt that there was dodgy dealings in his father getting the land (or getting the money to buy the land) originally, but there is probably no issue with the actual sale of the land.

You are jumping to conclusions in your final paragraph.There is potentially a huge and toxic problem in the sale of the land if Charoen was involved and if there was significant reason to doubt that commercial criteria were applied.I don't think you are naive so there is no need to spell more of this out.It certainly needs to be investigated.

Sorry ... who's jumping to conclusions?

You - in suggesting there was probably no issue with the sale of the land.Hence my post.

In my naivety I was very positive that the new regime in Thailand would bring about genunie change regarding corruption etc, despite the manner in which the current PM 'acquired' his position.

I then read stories in the press of his collection of luxury watches, executive cars and expensive jewellery. Not bad for a man who officially has never earned my than $45,000 per year.

Now I read this story about land deals totalling 600 million THB.

600 million Baht!

That's quite phenominal. That's not just a matter of selling a couple rai of rice paddies. That's a land deal on a huge scale.

So despite all of his talk on anti-corruption is it not unreasonable to say that the current PM is no better than the mob he replaced?

This country will never learn. Corruption will be here long, long after the rest of us has gone.

His father sold the land. The question to ask is how much did his father earn per year.

No that's not the question.Many Thais have low salaries but hold valuable family land.The question is who purchased the land, did they pay a commercial price and if not why not.

Questions asked-- no problem if they are legit, But who reported that he Quote " blew his top " ??? who decided to put this into a topic this way ??
inviting anger, and TVF are wanting to conform to no harsh criticism----- then blasts this heading here. This week there have been more and more invitation to the PM haters, but yet feed them fodder for replies.

Headlines need to be scaled down and fair. so as everyone no matter what opinion can comment without inflated topic headings.

Yes, after further research of the topic it seems that this issue is being used to tarnish the image of the new pm and most of the tarnishing is in anti coup media sites. Just goes to show that the divide in politics is still simmering and the need for reform is paramount to healing old wounds.

Do you honestly think that a few words are going to change peoples opinions.

No that's not the question.Many Thais have low salaries but hold valuable family land.The question is who purchased the land, did they pay a commercial price and if not why not.

OK. Everyone knows what land was sold. Everyone knows the price. Has anyone worked out whether it was a "commercial price"?

If it was a commercial price, does it matter who bought it?

If it wasn't, then, yes, "who purchased the land?" is the right question.

Good answer from the Premier.......

Well no it is not.

He is a PM and as such he is open to all sorts of questions including his personal life.

He declared the asset!

" Prayut reported in his assets declaration that a part of his assets came from proceed from of a land sale by his father for Bt600 million that was shared among his siblings."

What has his father's business got to do with him, an asset was gained and reported!

I think the reporter wanted to know more about a certain detail in connection with the land sale.

From the OP:

"When another reporter asked him while a firm that was just formed seven days bought the land, Prayut replied that it was personal matter of his family and he had his rights to privacy."

Brave reporter, I'd say.

What about Taxin and Ying have no privacy rights ?

Sounds like tip of an iceberg for the new government.

No, one is a convicted fugitive and the other is under investigation for criminal negligence.

The general's father is neither. Your post is lacking in thought and fact.

I wonder just how many of the current administration will find themselves absconding or under investigation when and if a new elected administration takes over in 201----?

That would be a reform committee's wet dream if their wealth obtained came from political corruption. The bigger problem would be getting the judiciary and police to see it that way. However, as I read things... No one in the current administration is currently investigation and neither is the general's father. Perhaps you should get off this topic at the next station.

Sooty, didn't realise you were the station master.

Of course they are not under investigation now. Not going to investigate themselves are they?

It will all change when they are no longer in power and the piper needs to be paid for past misdeeds.

This "Prime Minister" wants to rub elbows with ellected officials from civilised countries. Countries where officials are taken to task over the finances, but he does not wish to be scrutinized. Sadly this all could have been above board, legal and quite innocent. Now, because of his behavior, he has casted further doubt on his ability to lead. He is like an angry child

• Like 1

Picture of the land in question :

That's the parcel? I wouldn't pay Bt.5,000 for that. It fits with my theory: the less attractive a parcel, the more it costs. That theory was best applied to Bangkok property, when you consider what Bangkok has to offer:

>>> smog, gridlock, crime, political riots every few years, noise, flooding, unfriendly people.

which cost 100 X the price of parcels of land with........

>>> clean air, big trees, birds singing, no gridlock, no flooding, friendly neighbors, low crime, seclusion.

Your dream land is Not so good if you want to build an industrial estate or similar!