Two political parties oppose easy party dissolution in new Thai charter

webfact

Two political parties oppose easy party dissolution in new charter
By Digital Content

14163031379172-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 18 -- Representatives of the Bhumjaithai and Chartthaipattana parties proposed to the Constitution Drafting Committee that political parties should not be dissolved easily.

Gen Lertrat Ratanavanich, spokesman of the Constitution Drafting Committee, said representatives of the two parties told the panel that a political party should not be disbanded because only one of its executives did wrong. They want to see political parties as strong institutions.

Both parties also proposed that terms of House representatives should not be limited, political parties should have good governance, House representatives should have morality and bureaucracy should be strengthened to help tackle corruption.

The Bhumjaithai and Chartthaipattana parties also recommended that appointed senators have less power than elected senators, problematic members of independent organizations should be subject to impeachment and political parties should be allowed to issue populist policies if they are aimed at reducing inequality and are sincerely implemented.

Gen Lertrat commented that a referendum on the new charter would be unnecessary if the new charter received a warm welcome from the general public in the process of its being drafted in the next 5-6 months. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-18

I agree that disbanding a political party because of the actions of one of the executives is wrong. But the erring executive should be banned from politics for at least 10 years. The rest is just drivel. Before claiming this and that, they need to clean their own houses.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 2

Gen Lertrat commented that a referendum on the new charter would be unnecessary if the new charter received a warm welcome from the general public in the process of its being drafted in the next 5-6 months."

I don't agree with Gen. Lertrat..........how would the general public welcome the new charter, how do they gauge "warm welcome"...........the only way to measure the public' acceptance would be via a referendum.....it's not fair to keep the Thai population in the dark......it's been that way for decades...centuries probably....Thailand has to enter the modern era at some time!

Both parties also proposed that terms of House representatives should not be limited, political parties should have good governance, House representatives should have morality and bureaucracy should be strengthened to help tackle corruption.

I strongly disagree, term limits keep empire building at a minimum, restrict them all to eight years and get some younger minds in Parliament. Before anyone asks if I support the idea in my own country, yes I do.

Gen Lertrat commented that a referendum on the new charter would be unnecessary if the new charter received a warm welcome from the general public in the process of its being drafted in the next 5-6 months."

I don't agree with Gen. Lertrat..........how would the general public welcome the new charter, how do they gauge "warm welcome"...........the only way to measure the public' acceptance would be via a referendum.....it's not fair to keep the Thai population in the dark......it's been that way for decades...centuries probably....Thailand has to enter the modern era at some time!

How would the general public welcome the new charter? I am sure the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association will be more than happy to conduct another Mickey Mouse poll and show that 93% of respondents approve the new charter :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How has the Junta guaged any alleged opinion of the public - by their surveys typically of 1,100 people who have consistently given the Junta 90%+ approval ratings. And you can bet that survey has already been conducted and waiting rollout immediately after affirmation of the new constitution.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree that disbanding a political party because of the actions of one of the executives is wrong. But the erring executive should be banned from politics for at least 10 years. The rest is just drivel. Before claiming this and that, they need to clean their own houses.

Agree except that I would propose:

- Minimum ban from politics to be 20 years.

- In some cases (perhaps this would include party executives ) ban for life.

Banning would mean absolute and total ban from any (ANY) form of political activity, with mandatory jail for any transgressions.

Caught in any form of vote buying - mandatory jail.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

That's serfdom, Chris?

The other point to it is how they can gauge response. Any gathering could be seen as not in the best interest of Thailand. Discussion in the press would not be fair and open. So they hear little commentary on the suitability of the new charter. Catch-22? Therefore no referendum.