Brown water from tap

Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if necessary.

I am living in a rented older house countryside and since a few month the water is sometime getting brown. Not too bad but slightly annoying. Furthermore now my white close is getting colored.

Now my question. Does anyone know how to get the water clear again without investing too much money? As said it is rented and the landlord does not really care much about the house or is interested in repairing anything.

it seems as well that the house does not have a water tank. This might be a reason, not sure.

Our time here is limited so any advise on the cheaper side would be appreciated.

Is the water from the village supply or a bore? Do you have a water pump? Does the water smell at all?

A simple sediment filter on the incoming supply may be sufficient and is reasonably cheap. It will however reduce your water pressure somewhat which could be a problem if it's marginal to start with.

Home pro etc and simple cartage filter - about 900baht the inside replacement is cheaper but can be cleaned a number of time before you have to replace it 400 baht - they come as clear or blue with the filter inside and wall mount. If you have a system pump then place it were the pipe enters the home. (is assuming the pump is outside) so between the pump and the house. No need to filter the outside water if you can help it but maybe the car won't water spot as bad after washing if you do. I use two one for house water and another to filter pre filter the water to the drinking water RO system - that one I place a finer filter in as well the number 10 rated one is fine for household use.

It will not change water pressure unless the filter to plugging up rather badly.

Edited by RKASA

We get slightly coloured water during the dry season and no amount of filtering will clean it (it's super fine sand).

We use Aluminum Sulphate (readily available) as a clearing agent; it settles the very fine sediment.

We place a small amount in our water tanks and allow to settle; the water is then colourless. Needless to say this is not used for drinking!!

If you don't have water storage tanks then I guess you'll need to try a filter?

I use the Azuma sediment filters. I replace them about every 3 weeks.

I would recommend 2 of them inline and change the first one when the water pressur drops off. The second filter catches what ever slips past the first and should not need to be changed nearly as often.

Is the water from the village supply or a bore? Do you have a water pump? Does the water smell at all?

A simple sediment filter on the incoming supply may be sufficient and is reasonably cheap. It will however reduce your water pressure somewhat which could be a problem if it's marginal to start with.

Sorry for my late response.. The water is coming from PEA. We do have a broken water pump, which the landlord refuses to fix. The water does not smell and is only sometimes brown. You can only see the brown color if you let it flow into the bathtub.

We will most likely go with a sediment filter from Mega Home. They will as well install it. Only issue would be the water pressure. It can be very low at times.

We get slightly coloured water during the dry season and no amount of filtering will clean it (it's super fine sand).

We use Aluminum Sulphate (readily available) as a clearing agent; it settles the very fine sediment.

We place a small amount in our water tanks and allow to settle; the water is then colourless. Needless to say this is not used for drinking!!

If you don't have water storage tanks then I guess you'll need to try a filter?

Sadly it is not only during dry season. As far as I know we do not have a water tank, except it is build under ground.

Will try the filter before having to go for a more costly solution.