Chiang Dao Farmer's Market - Wonderful Photography!

FolkGuitar

We were at this market only a week ago ,tipped off by the staff of the resort we stayed at.We queried the time 6am to 1pm,seemed unusual, and got there about 10am, it was heaving.

I forgot to take my camera but rest assured its as good as the OP described. Add in a young German guy and his Thai wife who make some of the best bakery products we have ever enjoyed.

To sum up we loaded up with quality fruit and veges ,for our return to CM,much cheaper and better quality than you can buy in CM and will do it again.

Chiang Dao is a great escape from CM.Its still "old Thailand" untouched as yet by development.Hopefully it stays that way for a while at least.

So you wander around the market place intrusively taking photos of other people without permission because you find them different from you? Or do you ask permission?

Thank you for wording that a lot more politely than I was about to do. ;)

Some people desperately need to go buy themselves a life.

• Like 2

So you wander around the market place intrusively taking photos of other people without permission because you find them different from you? Or do you ask permission?

I was thinking about what you wrote while I was at lunch, the 'because' part, and I realized that each of us has their own reason for taking pictures of other people. You, perhaps, might think of taking pictures of people because you find them different from you. And that's OK. (We would hope you don't do so 'intrusively.') Someone else might choose to take pictures because they see some special beauty in their subject, be it age worn gracefully, or hardships etched in deeply, and that's OK too. Yet another might just look for colorful clothing or special hair styles, interesting faces, perhaps nice smiles (I like nice smiles myself,) or people carrying babies, concentrating on picking out some special item, etc., etc., etc. They are OK too. All of these are great concepts for photography, and for someone to try to base what they see happening on their own nature often is quite misleading. We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are.

• Like 2

Thanks FolkGuitar for the heads up. This is sounds prefect. Just told the wife we will have Vietnamese Spring Rolls for breakfast next Tuesday. smile.png

Chiang Dao is only around 45klms from our home so a easy drive. Can't wait to check it out.

You find them just next to that German fellow and his wife that Sparkles mentioned, selling really nice looking pies, cakes, and breads.

The market starts about a block after the turn-off for the Chiang Dao Cave, and these two vendors are on the right side just after the beginning of it all! And if you see an old (but very, very 'handsum') man looking foolish with a video camera on a big stick, tap me on the shoulder and say 'hi!'

• Like 1

Some folks believe that photos 'capture' the spirit of the person, even the soul. Thus, these folks deeply resent unwanted photos. I'm not saying this is the case in CD, but that i don't know. I esp think this notion is true of primitive peoples, those in the colorful and conspicuous costumes. Also, in certain world places the curious looking person is seeking a coin, if you want his/her photo.

I did not see too much of interest in the Pai Market. Soon, I'll get my a** of of bed one Tuesday early and hit the road. North, for a good doughnut.

And i have heard that the Karen 'long neck' ladies continue that tradition almost entirely for coins, gotten through photos taken by outsiders. We, the westerners, have brought numerous troubles to primitive peoples through our actions which we think are harmless, or worse, personally benefiting, and the weak colored person be damned.

Not hammering on you FG, the pix are nice.

Thank you for wording that a lot more politely than I was about to do. wink.png

Some people desperately need to go buy themselves a life.

Well---I'm really glad that you didn't bother, if he 'worded it more politely' than you.

Some folks believe that photos 'capture' the spirit of the person, even the soul. Thus, these folks deeply resent unwanted photos. I'm not saying this is the case in CD, but that i don't know. I esp think this notion is true of primitive peoples, those in the colorful and conspicuous costumes. Also, in certain world places the curious looking person is seeking a coin, if you want his/her photo.

I did not see too much of interest in the Pai Market. Soon, I'll get my a** of of bed one Tuesday early and hit the road. North, for a good doughnut.

And i have heard that the Karen 'long neck' ladies continue that tradition almost entirely for coins, gotten through photos taken by outsiders. We, the westerners, have brought numerous troubles to primitive peoples through our actions which we think are harmless, or worse, personally benefiting, and the weak colored person be damned.

Oh,so these people are "primitive?" Do you call them that to make yourself feel superior to them or for some other reason? Do you have a problem with other more respectful people who call them "traditional?"

And I want to thank you for your textbook example of how to cast aspersions by asking questions with hostile content. It says so much about you..

Ah the white man's burden weighs heavy on your soul...giggle.gif

Thanks FolkGuitar for the heads up. This is sounds prefect. Just told the wife we will have Vietnamese Spring Rolls for breakfast next Tuesday. smile.png

Chiang Dao is only around 45klms from our home so a easy drive. Can't wait to check it out.

"""""""""""You find them just next to that German fellow and his wife that Sparkles mentioned, selling really nice looking pies, cakes, and breads.

The market starts about a block after the turn-off for the Chiang Dao Cave, and these two vendors are on the right side just after the beginning of it all! And if you see an old (but very, very 'handsum') man looking foolish with a video camera on a big stick, tap me on the shoulder and say 'hi!'

LOL, ok, I'll bring my Martin tuned to open D....smile.png....you mentioned also lunch at the Chiang Dao Nest....the couple who owe it live a 3 iron away from us...may stop there too...come on Tuesday.smile.png)

• Like 1

"""""""""""You find them just next to that German fellow and his wife that Sparkles mentioned, selling really nice looking pies, cakes, and breads.

LOL, ok, I'll bring my Martin tuned to open D....smile.png....you mentioned also lunch at the Chiang Dao Nest....the couple who owe it live a 3 iron away from us...may stop there too...come on Tuesday.smile.png)

Drop the F# down to D (matching the 4th string) and play Indian Sitar ragas and I'll jam with ya! With the Chiang Dao mountain as a backdrop, it couldn't get any more spiritual! :)

• Like 2

Another delightful day at the Chiang Dao Market! Even more people there today than last week, and it will grow bigger still each week right up until New Years! More and different vendors this week than last, and far more groups of Hill Tribe shoppers. But the thing I love most about this market, is that everyone is smiling! Grinning from ear to ear and mugging for the camera! It really makes for a fun morning!

And many thanks to 'Sendbaht' for my plate of Vegetarian Vietnamese Spring Rolls. In all the commotion of the Market, I didn't get a chance to say 'thanks' to you properly! Hope to meet up with you and your wife again soon!

• Like 1