Germany's Merkel toughens tone with Russia's Putin

webfact

Germany's Merkel toughens tone with Russia's Putin
By Jenny Hill
BBC News, Berlin

(BBC) The face of Russian President Vladimir Putin stares out from the front page of one of Germany's most popular broadsheets. Germany's relationship with Russia has occupied the headlines and preoccupied its politicians for months.

This week, in a speech in Australia, Chancellor Angel Merkel appeared to suggest her patience with the Russian leader over the conflict in eastern Ukraine was running out.

"Angela Merkel has been the West's indispensable interlocutor with Putin," says Judy Dempsey from the Carnegie Europe think tank.

The chancellor speaks fluent Russian; the Russian leader fluent German. They are described as having developed a grudging respect for one another.

Their countries have a complicated relationship - a turbulent history and economic ties. Four thousand German companies do business with Russia.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30104676

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-19

Being an annoying person bent on self-appointed leadership and mania of greatness Merkel is just a big wind bag with a large mouth.

Just look at the headlines (posts) here on TV.

Merkel "will accept" GB exit from EU over immigration stand.

Merkel calling Putin names (Hitler, of all other National leaders)!

Merkel toughens tone...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Fact is she is an ugly old woman put in the position of power by a Nation that has many old grudges against it not yet forgotten plus a few new ones.

And she is absolutely powerless in respect of any actions against Putin or Russia... Very bad diplomacy IMHO ...

Not that I'm siding with Russia or Putin, but Merkel should have been and had been cut to size on many occasions by the same Putin.

Germans must be careful with this Frau in coming elections.

You say your not siding ? Sure sounds like it to me.

• Like 1

her patience with the Russian leader over the conflict in eastern Ukraine was running out.

So what are you going to do about it?

Nothing.... thought so.

All mouth and no actions.

I am waiting for her to announce that Germany owns the EU.

BTW... @neversure. How is it even possible for Russia to stop Ukraine from joining the EU?

Come on Putin.... Time to tell Merkel that YOU are running out of patience. Turn off the gas. Winter is coming, that'll teach the EU superstate.

How to stop Ukraine from joining the EU? Annex part of the country, invade another part, create chaos. Not too hard.

Is it possible Merkel is doing this for Economic and humanitarian reasons? This invasion is hurting the global economy, and the Ukraine people are dying and suffering.

Good for her trying to stop this craziness.

• Like 1

Being an annoying person bent on self-appointed leadership and mania of greatness Merkel is just a big wind bag with a large mouth.

Merkel toughens tone...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Fact is she is an ugly old woman put in the position of power by a Nation that has many old grudges against it not yet forgotten plus a few new ones.

And she is absolutely powerless in respect of any actions against Putin or Russia... Very bad diplomacy IMHO ...

Not that I'm siding with Russia or Putin, but Merkel should have been and had been cut to size on many occasions by the same Putin.

"...ugly, old woman..."?

Name calling is often used when a weak position tries to validate its credibility. Attack the issue, not the person.

• Like 2

her patience with the Russian leader over the conflict in eastern Ukraine was running out.

So what are you going to do about it?

Nothing.... thought so.

All mouth and no actions.

I am waiting for her to announce that Germany owns the EU.

BTW... @neversure. How is it even possible for Russia to stop Ukraine from joining the EU?

Come on Putin.... Time to tell Merkel that YOU are running out of patience. Turn off the gas. Winter is coming, that'll teach the EU superstate.

How to stop Ukraine from joining the EU? Annex part of the country, invade another part, create chaos. Not too hard.

Is it possible Merkel is doing this for Economic and humanitarian reasons? This invasion is hurting the global economy, and the Ukraine people are dying and suffering.

Good for her trying to stop this craziness.

You ran through very important part. Is it Putin who started pro-EU Maidan? The consequences of it was clear for everyone except ordinal western people, and your leaders definitely knew about it, it's simply impossible that they have no wise and informed advisors. Nearly one year ago i told my Ukrainian colleague who was very excited about "people's revolution" - "Do you realise that this end up with Crimea/Donbass leave out?", he was angry but didn't reject. Everyone knew. Moreover many have relatives in Crimea (including me), sooo... annexation is terrible solution of course, but it's a situation when government was forced to choose between worse and worst.
Ukrainians are suffering because they ruined Ukraine by their own hands, i can't find example when coup would lead to something else.
I read association agreement, and it's HUGE amount of work, EU membership is really not a question for next decade, or even more realistically in next 20 years. Ukraine is not small country with few millions of population, it's a size of Germany, and i have doubts that EU taxpayers are obsessed enough to pay for Ukraine.
  • Like 2

Merkel toughens tone...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You say your not siding ? Sure sounds like it to me.

As long Germans would not be ruled by morons as Cameron they will be safe and sound. I'm not a German but admire her attidudes talking to Putin and set up the sanctions against Russia. She is by far the most powerful leader in Europe at least.

• Like 1

Some posters here are seriously overestimating the power and influence of Russia and underestimating the power and influence of Germany on a global scale.

Perhaps you would like to share with other TVF members how Germany is more powerful than Russia on the global stage... Please, do tell... coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Some posters here are seriously overestimating the power and influence of Russia and underestimating the power and influence of Germany on a global scale.

Perhaps you would like to share with other TVF members how Germany is more powerful than Russia on the global stage... Please, do tell... coffee1.gif

As I never stated that Germany is more powerful than Russia, I see no reason to doing that what you ask. Learn to read....

• Like 2

The German economy is larger, even more so when you include them in the EU. Plus, Germany is in better standing with the rest of the world. Russia is counting on some dodgy partners.

As I never stated that Germany is more powerful than Russia, I see no reason to doing that what you ask. Learn to read....

It appears I read just fine... What part of your original post that I have highlighted are you denying?

The German economy is larger, even more so when you include them in the EU. Plus, Germany is in better standing with the rest of the world. Russia is counting on some dodgy partners.

Do you consider the BRICS to be "dodgy company" or is it Germany's association with the non-elected munchkins in Brussels that you are referring to?

You may also want to check your claim that Germany's economy is larger than Russia's, because it is not the case...

• Like 1

Do you consider the BRICS to be "dodgy company" or is it Germany's association with the non-elected munchkins in Brussels that you are referring to?

You may also want to check your claim that Germany's economy is larger than Russia's, because it is not the case...

Brazil is imploding, China is in a potentially tough situation. India's had it's share of problems. Not trying to be overly critical, but that's reality. Many economies are in tough situations right now. Except the US, which is plugging along fairly well.

As far as Germany's economy, here's what I've read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

And if you include Germany as part of the EU, which is a substantial trading bloc, Russia is way behind.

• Like 1

"Hey let's make a fun of Merkel! Gonna listen her phone for years! In any case we'll go away with it. Easily" - CIA Shills.

"ok" - Germany.

It appears I read just fine... What part of your original post that I have highlighted are you denying?

It appears not.

As long Germans would not be ruled by morons as Cameron they will be safe and sound. I'm not a German but admire her attidudes talking to Putin and set up the sanctions against Russia. She is by far the most powerful leader in Europe at least.

Speak for all Germans, do you? Fact, I know quite a few and have family there and they are sick and tired of having her as their 'ruler'. Many many Germans do not want to be part of the EU but are cajoled deeper and deeper into it by gutless politicians who care only about their own ideals. You slag off Cameron, and while he isn't my favourite Martian, at least he has a pair of stones with a mind of his own that stands up to this anachronistic, money-wasting club called the EU. With that, be under no illusion Merkel is some kind of messiah acting against the grain for the betterment of mankind, she is merely conforming and going with what the EU desires... if very late in the day, I may add. Btw, FYI, these people are not rulers, they are mouthpieces for THEIR people.

They are starting to struggle now , Russian Ruble was down 10% this week

The Russians seem to like the Hard Man image Putin portrays so Putin is playing to the gallery with the Nationalist rhetoric. How popular he will be when the economy goes into the toilet is unclear,

Regards Putin; as nutty, bloodthirsty and hungry for power as he is, I have a certain - perhaps unhealthy - amount of respect for a guy that can stick two fingers up to the rest of this messed up world and smile.

Easy to diagnose. He's a megalomaniac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

Megalomania is a psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, omnipotence, and by inflated self-esteem. Historically it was used as a name for narcissistic personality disorder prior to the latter's first use by Heinz Kohut in 1968, and is used today as a non-clinical equivalent.[1][2]

Isn't Germany, the EU, and USA already hard on Putin? My goodness, they have put sanctions on more than 120 people. People? yep. If anyone was serious, they would stop all trade, demand Russia leave Crimea, or it is back to cold war.

Russia is thumbing its nose at the west, and the west is a big bunch of old women. NATO is a joke without the US leading it....no backbone....and with Obama....toothless.

One thing is sure : the kind of attacks from all sides we can read in this T.V. forum would not be possible in the Russian media...in Russia you can only approve of Putin policies... or face big problems...ask Ilya Ponomarev the only member of the Duma which dared to vote against the annexation of Crimea.