Inguinal Hernia Experiences CM

Pai1234

I've briefly browsed the internet & forums already for information, but thought it perhaps helpful to ask here for your experiences. I've already learned that some folks prefer to delay surgery, but that could be dangerous if one exercises a lot. I've also learned that there are a couple of different ways to accomplish the surgery, and that one way is considered better but that not all doctors do it that way (why I'm not sure).

Reception at CM Ram says they have a surgeon named Ekacai Paiboonworachat to do it, but I have not scheduled an initial appointment with any doctor yet (Ram very crowded with long waits the day I walked in). I'm not concerned about which hospital is more expensive, but I would like more information ref which doctors are considered best for this procedure.

1. Does anybody have any experiences they're willing to share?

2. Any specific doctor recommendations?

Thanks

I had a double hernia op at chiang mai Ram about 4 years ago. I can't remember the surgeons name but he was reccomended by Dr. Tawatchai of LoiKroh clinic. He specifically said that the surgeon at Ram had a very good reputation for his patients not having problems further down the line. i had my op even though it was a very small lump because I was playing tennis 3 or 4 times a week. It was a bit expensive, about 70,000 baht, but that included the cost of some fancy hi-tech mesh. No scar, no problems since then and I was up and about after a few days and back running around the tennis courts reasonably quickly. I still play regulary, with no hint of a problem. If you need the name of my surgeon, maybe a visit to Dr. Tawatchai is in order. Good luck.

Chiangmaijoe, thanks for your reply. Your experience doesn't sound so bad, and because I exercise a lot too, I should perhaps not be so reluctant to proceed. The mesh was the better method I alluded to. Perhaps (I'm guessing) the mesh method is not always performed because of expense.

Had one repaired at Maharaj government hospital. I recommend getting a referral from a local doctor at an amphur level government hospital indicating you have a hernia. Long wait to see a physician to schedule surgery, but all good after that.

Repaired with surgical mesh, 3 days in a private room, very professional staff. Highly recommended. Total cost in 2010: 18K baht.

PM me if you need additional information.

• Like 1

I had a double hernia op at chiang mai Ram about 4 years ago. I can't remember the surgeons name but he was reccomended by Dr. Tawatchai of LoiKroh clinic. He specifically said that the surgeon at Ram had a very good reputation for his patients not having problems further down the line. i had my op even though it was a very small lump because I was playing tennis 3 or 4 times a week. It was a bit expensive, about 70,000 baht, but that included the cost of some fancy hi-tech mesh. No scar, no problems since then and I was up and about after a few days and back running around the tennis courts reasonably quickly. I still play regulary, with no hint of a problem. If you need the name of my surgeon, maybe a visit to Dr. Tawatchai is in order. Good luck.

You had a double hernia for 70,000 baht at Ram and you can't recall the name of the surgeon......amazing!

My guess is that if he was recommended by Dr Tawatchai it was probably Dr Seree who he regards as 'the best'.

http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Th/CV%20th/Seree.pdf

An excellent surgeon at Ram is Dr Sandhu Trichak

http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Th/CV%20th/Trichak.pdf

OP here is Dr EKachai's CV

http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Th/CV%20th/Ekachai.pdf

Had one repaired at Maharaj government hospital. I recommend getting a referral from a local doctor at an amphur level government hospital indicating you have a hernia. Long wait to see a physician to schedule surgery, but all good after that.

Repaired with surgical mesh, 3 days in a private room, very professional staff. Highly recommended. Total cost in 2010: 18K baht.

Government hospital? 3 days in a hospital for a hernia? That sounds scary. A good hernia surgeon will have you up and around and home in about 4 hours time. When I had mine repaired using the open technique with mesh, I was going to go to work that afternoon but was still a little drowsy from the anesthesia. I would recommend anyone who needs hernia surgery to find the best hernia surgeon they can find. Ask the surgeon how many hernia's he/she has repaired. It's done as an outpatient procedure. Not a big deal at all.

• Like 1

Government hospital? 3 days in a hospital for a hernia? That sounds scary. A good hernia surgeon will have you up and around and home in about 4 hours time. When I had mine repaired using the open technique with mesh, I was going to go to work that afternoon but was still a little drowsy from the anesthesia. I would recommend anyone who needs hernia surgery to find the best hernia surgeon they can find. Ask the surgeon how many hernia's he/she has repaired. It's done as an outpatient procedure. Not a big deal at all.

Was that in Thailand? I know it is common in some western countries but generally or at least often the Thai hospitals like to have you for a couple of nights.

Was that in Thailand? I know it is common in some western countries but generally or at least often the Thai hospitals like to have you for a couple of nights.

Especially if you're paying. Can't imagine that happening in UK on NHS.

Especially if you're paying. Can't imagine that happening in UK on NHS.

Exactly. That's the point. They try and gouge you here for unnecessary hospitalization and other medical expenses. Most of these procedures that are brought up on the forum are outpatient procedures. I'm always amazed when people talk about spending the night in a hospital for a colonoscopy. One member even mentioned just the other day that he was given (and was charged for) oxygen during a colonoscopy! I've had about 4 colonoscopies years back (had colitis one time) and was always in at 8:00 and out by 11:30. Back to work that day. Same with the hernia surgery. In at 8:00, out by 11:30. I did need a lift home that time as I was too drowsy to drive. I recently had a very minor procedure at RAM; finished around 10:30 A.M. and the doctor asked me if I "was spending the night". Huh? I left about an hour later.

Just get two or three opinions as to what is necessary and why from physicians, certainly not TV Chiang Mai posters. Otherwise, we would be physician-surgeons, and we are NOT.

Depending upon the hernia, and it seems that any hernia here is subject for discussion regardless of what, where or when,each individual case is different.

There are any number of qualified surgeons to consult in Chiang Mai at qute a few hospitals. None, to my knowledge, is a poster on TV Chiang Mai.

First day for check in and tests; second day for surgery; third day for observation. I know it's out-patient in the US, but that has to do just a little with the outrageous cost and insurance companies not wanting to paid for in-patient care because it's too expensive. I could have checked out earlier, but why? Better safe than sorry. The private room cost me less than most tourist hotels in Chiang Mai. BTW, this is a teaching hospital. They have the best surgeons in the region. When RAM can't handle the problem cases, guess where they are sent? lol

• Like 1

Just get two or three opinions as to what is necessary and why from physicians, certainly not TV Chiang Mai posters. Otherwise, we would be physician-surgeons, and we are NOT.

Depending upon the hernia, and it seems that any hernia here is subject for discussion regardless of what, where or when,each individual case is different.

There are any number of qualified surgeons to consult in Chiang Mai at qute a few hospitals. None, to my knowledge, is a poster on TV Chiang Mai.

Would they have notified you if they were? biggrin.png

Exactly. That's the point. They try and gouge you here for unnecessary hospitalization and other medical expenses. Most of these procedures that are brought up on the forum are outpatient procedures. I'm always amazed when people talk about spending the night in a hospital for a colonoscopy. One member even mentioned just the other day that he was given (and was charged for) oxygen during a colonoscopy! I've had about 4 colonoscopies years back (had colitis one time) and was always in at 8:00 and out by 11:30. Back to work that day. Same with the hernia surgery. In at 8:00, out by 11:30. I did need a lift home that time as I was too drowsy to drive. I recently had a very minor procedure at RAM; finished around 10:30 A.M. and the doctor asked me if I "was spending the night". Huh? I left about an hour later.

18000 Thai baht for mesh surgery and three nights in a private room. Where was I 'gouged' other than at the incision point?

Nevermind. Ya'll go to the expensive private Thai hospitals or fly back to your home countries where you won't be 'gouged' by the money hungry government hospitals. Less people to deal with when I go imho.

Op. Go find an expensive hospital. 'Inexpensive' and 'Professional' doesn't seen to register with folks on this forum. See ya...

• Like 2

18000 Thai baht for mesh surgery and three nights in a private room. Where was I 'gouged' other than at the incision point?

Nevermind. Ya'll go to the expensive private Thai hospitals or fly back to your home countries where you won't be 'gouged' by the money hungry government hospitals. Less people to deal with when I go imho.

Op. Go find an expensive hospital. 'Inexpensive' and 'Professional' doesn't seen to register with folks on this forum. See ya...

I don't believe I said you were 'gouged'. I was referring to hospitalizations for colonoscopies.

You definitely will not find a top hernia surgeon in a government hospital 100%. You will get a general surgeon who has done some.

For me, shopping for surgery is not like shopping for a pair of shorts in the bargain bin. I want the best I can find. I want to know exactly who is cutting into me and who is putting me under. You get whoever is available in a government hospital, and that person could be someone who is only 2 or 3 years out of medical school...

BTW, this is a teaching hospital. They have the best surgeons in the region. When RAM can't handle the problem cases, guess where they are sent? lol

That is not true.

You definitely will not find a top hernia surgeon in a government hospital 100%. You will get a general surgeon who has done some.

The surgeon who did the King's hernia surgery worked in a government hospital at the time and had for many years. Do you think he might be a top hernia surgeon? Or at least a surgeon who could do a top job of a hernia surgery?

The surgeon who did the King's hernia surgery worked in a government hospital at the time and had for many years. Do you think he might be a top hernia surgeon? Or at least a surgeon who could do a top job of a hernia surgery?

What is his name?

Is he still practicing and if so, where?

Treating the King is one thing, a non citizen farang another matter. The farang is liable to get the resident intern students doing the surgery.

Dante99 said "he worked in a government hospital at the time".

I'm sure he had more than one patient.

Uptheos, Come on now, who said the best doctors would only have one patient each? Nobody has said that.

We all know the mob scene at government hospitals, so there is a good chance the luck of the draw won't land you the big name doctors. They will undoubtedly have various VIP's referred to them, and they may chose cases that are of interest to them. But the best doctors probably aren't working like assembly line workers, as it seems much of the government hospital staff have to do.

That's not to say that the doctor you do get will be inadequate, but it's very possible you won't have any control over who you do get.

....We all know the mob scene at government hospitals....

It is possible to make an appointment with a specific doctor for a specific time at a government hospital. Also, I have never encountered a mob scene at a government hospital and I have met with some top doctors at them, but I suppose it is possible they did not recognize me as a farang even though that is extremely unlikely.

What is his name?

Is he still practicing and if so, where?

Sorry I do not think posting that information would be appropriate. Try Siriraj Hospital in BKK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is possible to make an appointment with a specific doctor for a specific time at a government hospital. Also, I have never encountered a mob scene at a government hospital and I have met with some top doctors at them, but I suppose it is possible they did not recognize me as a farang even though that is extremely unlikely.

Read this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779122-thailand-time-to-limit-working-hours-for-our-stressed-out-doctors/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Read this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779122-thailand-time-to-limit-working-hours-for-our-stressed-out-doctors/

The article and thread does apply to you if you are compelled to follow the masses but does not apply to those who can find a different path. I never suggested that there were not problems at government hospitals, only that it was possible to get good service at them, or at lease some of them.

If you want some reasonable information, check out #5 above. I do not understand why Uptheos has gotten some grief along the way here.

Hernia surgery is not rocket science.

Good point Mapguy. Uptheos, hope you don't think I was purposely giving you grief. Good post and I'm sure helpful to the op.

If you want some reasonable information, check out #5 above. I do not understand why Uptheos has gotten some grief along the way here.

Good point Mapguy. Uptheos, hope you don't think I was purposely giving you grief. Good post and I'm sure helpful to the op.

Grief about what?

I'd like to thank everybody that took the time to provide helpful information / experience.

Thank you.

./;

Nobody has warned me of real danger by waiting (assuming problem not too severe). So, because I have some things I want to do prior to surgery I'm going to delay a bit before proceeding (I'll be careful, hopefully). I'll then probably use one of the doctors (still TBD) at RAM. Thanks again.