Over 700 motorcyclists arrested and fined in first day of crackdown on footpath riding

Lite Beer

How did they manage to ride on the footpaths? Whenever I try there are too many vendors, cars, lampposts and other crap to even walk, let alone ride, on them. tongue.png

aah - when I find myself riding on the footpath, it's usually because the street is cluttered with vendors, pushcarts and other miscellaneous sidecar riffraff, not to mention tour bus sized coaches and idiot drivers positioned like checkers in order to block any motorcycle passage...

there are many other things which should be much higher on the list of priorities.

My Dutch friend and I sometimes see who can get to a location first. He doesn't hesitate to take to the footpath (especially on Rama IV) but I refuse. I will not be a hypocrite. Bikes are already so much faster than cars; there is no justification for riding one on footpaths. Shame on you. I hope you get caught soon.

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brimming coffers then eh... bursting at its seams me believe coffee1.gif Still, me thinks there is more good than bad, if I'm honest. The RTP have something to play with, something that also pays while keeping them away from bugging the foxtrot out of ordinary decent people. And the footpaths are free to foot-traffic once again. And safe too! I say 'why not'.

Just wondering. Don't you feel it's dangerous when you ride your bike on the footpaths that in many cases are already not wide enough for pedestrians?

When I do this, there are no pedestrians in sight - I'd never do it if the footpath was being used by pedestrians.

But I'm not in Bangkok. A good example is Pattaya Tai road coming from Sukh before the junction with third road. At times, the road is blocked, but the sidewalks have absolutely no traffic from approx. the Shell station until the small soi before the intersection, because there aren't a lot of buildings there.

I'm also unsure why they recently banned the turn left on red at many Pattaya corners, at least for 2 wheel vehicles.

Sorry but there is just no rational for thinking it is okay to drive on a sidewalk. Common sense should tell us all this. While it is an acceptable practice that Thais have done for a while, there is NO excuse for a farang from a developed nation to do this. Bad enough when they do it but come on, just absolutely no excuse for us to do this.

When stuck in traffic with hordes of asshat drivers blocking every possible way to get forward because they cram 3 columns of cars into the space planned for 2 lanes (or pushcarts or sidecars or vendors, whatever), and knowing taking the "shortcut" will save at least 2 long red phases of breathing the tour buses' exhaust fumes, there is no good reason to not use that portion of pavement when there are no pedestrians using it.

The decision is made quickly.

I don't need an excuse for it because I don't disturb anybody - except maybe the feelings of some over-conforming Westerners?

Where is the harm? (I repeat: footpath is EMPTY).

There's another thread about making bicycle lanes in Thailand, I say they could start with making lanes for 2 wheel vehicles. But enforcement is the key. If they can manage to keep 2 wheel vehicle lanes free of clutter, I'd bet motorcyclists will leave the pathways alone.

A law is not there for people to cherry pick the most convenient elements of it, or indeed to place their own interpretations upon it. Surely if the law states no riding of motorbikes on the side walks then that is clear enough to understand?

• Like 1

How did they manage to ride on the footpaths? Whenever I try there are too many vendors, cars, lampposts and other crap to even walk, let alone ride, on them. tongue.png

aah - when I find myself riding on the footpath, it's usually because the street is cluttered with vendors, pushcarts and other miscellaneous sidecar riffraff, not to mention tour bus sized coaches and idiot drivers positioned like checkers in order to block any motorcycle passage...

there are many other things which should be much higher on the list of priorities.

Is someone preventing you from leaving Bkk ?

• Like 2

I had to re-read this several times.....for the last 15 years I've been waiting for police to do their jobs and stop bikers riding on the walkways and footpaths......has this really happened?

It won't last, there may be a purge now and again, also it is not only Bangkok this happens.

When they say "arrested and fined" that means both actions occurred; I think the article meant to say "arrested or fined." Just can't see them arresting 700 motorcyclists because they were riding on footpaths; fining them yes, but arresting them no. But hey, saying arrested makes it sound tough!!!

as does underlining every other word.

I wish they would stop motorbikes from stopping in the wrong area at traffic lights (too far forward forcing oncoming cars to take a wider angle while turning the corner and reducing the amount of cars that can turn on 1 green light cycle)

If the bikes waited right back in the correct position much more traffic could pass on 1 green light cycle, less traffic waiting and stress...

having said this I nearly got run over by a motorbike on the path outside Kasikorn Bank next to Tukom, I had to jump to the side, and caught my shirt on a sign pole, ripped my shirt and grazed my back !

When they say "arrested and fined" that means both actions occurred; I think the article meant to say "arrested or fined." Just can't see them arresting 700 motorcyclists because they were riding on footpaths; fining them yes, but arresting them no. But hey, saying arrested makes it sound tough!!!

And when they say “Violators will face a fine ranging from 400 to 1,000 baht” I think the article meant to say “Violators will face a fine ranging from 400 Baht for Thai’s and up to 1,000 Baht for the farang that we tolerate in our country”.

or 200 Baht for my sweaty little opened hand

Its like a everyday story : there was an accident happened yesterday in front of me when a motorcyclist hits a young girl on soi 22 footpath : that road is really scary ; you would never know when someone would come and hit your ass ..really disgusting ..no rules ..no police !!

• Like 1

No, getting bloody motorcyclists like you who think you have a right to be there off the pavements should be right up there on the priority list.

Do you REALLY think footpaths are for people?

As you say, vendors, lamp posts, speed signs, parking signs, advertisements, restaurant signs, bus stops (but no buses in Chiang Mai!) bah.gif

So you ride on the footpath do you? Are you a Farang? if so, then, no, I won't say any more, but I thing you will get my drift.

I had to re-read this several times.....for the last 15 years I've been waiting for police to do their jobs and stop bikers riding on the walkways and footpaths......has this really happened?

Well, for about a week. max coffee1.gif

Just wondering. Don't you feel it's dangerous when you ride your bike on the footpaths that in many cases are already not wide enough for pedestrians?

When I do this, there are no pedestrians in sight - I'd never do it if the footpath was being used by pedestrians.

But I'm not in Bangkok. A good example is Pattaya Tai road coming from Sukh before the junction with third road. At times, the road is blocked, but the sidewalks have absolutely no traffic from approx. the Shell station until the small soi before the intersection, because there aren't a lot of buildings there.

I'm also unsure why they recently banned the turn left on red at many Pattaya corners, at least for 2 wheel vehicles.

Havent been there for years but mbikes riding on pavements used to be a big problem in Pattaya. You needed to take as much care crossing the pavement as crossing the road! A real pain and dangerous!

Thai bikes and cars care nothing for pedestrians,more money for the police ,I have to warn everyone who comes from abroad don't expect a car or bike to stop fro you crossing the road or turning a corner,,land of smiles,not when they are driving,so selfish,and what about when coming out of a side road or turning,they seem to think it's there right of way.all so so selfish

This is true. But, what I do is walk RIGHT ACROSS THE BLOODY ROAD WITH MY HAND UP FOR THEM TO BLOODY STOP. They are genuinely surprised, as are the Thai pedestrians I sometimes tag along with me.

• Like 1

Arrested and fined in this situation means "caught and fined". It's just a knee jerk reaction anyways. Everyone in this country drives or rides like a schmuck so footpath riding has been a way for motorcyclists to circumvent that issue.

Where is the harm, Manarak asks, the footpaths empty, this guy must be one of the most empty headed TV members there is. So the footpath is clear, Emptyhead rides his motorbike on it, then suddenly people appear, they could have come out of an entrance, from behind a parked car, having just crossed the road from the other side etc,etc.etc.

When stuck in traffic with hordes of asshat drivers blocking every possible way to get forward because they cram 3 columns of cars into the space planned for 2 lanes (or pushcarts or sidecars or vendors, whatever), and knowing taking the "shortcut" will save at least 2 long red phases of breathing the tour buses' exhaust fumes, there is no good reason to not use that portion of pavement when there are no pedestrians using it.

The decision is made quickly.

I don't need an excuse for it because I don't disturb anybody - except maybe the feelings of some over-conforming Westerners?

Where is the harm? (I repeat: footpath is EMPTY).

There's another thread about making bicycle lanes in Thailand, I say they could start with making lanes for 2 wheel vehicles. But enforcement is the key. If they can manage to keep 2 wheel vehicle lanes free of clutter, I'd bet motorcyclists will leave the pathways alone.

"Where is the harm? (I repeat: footpath is EMPTY)."

As the "asshat" motorcyclist you clearly are, to you there should be at least 2 areas of concern. The first is that what you're doing is illegal, secondly I presume you do not have a crystal ball and therefore you are unable to predict when a pedestrian may decide to step on to the pavement in front of your motorcycle.

If your forward progress on the road is impeded by traffic maybe you should just wait a few minutes, like the other drivers do, until that blockage clears. Don't forget that as a road user you are partly responsible for that blockage.

• Like 1

Arrest does not mean put in prison. Your limited definition makes it sound tougher than it need be.

ar·rest (schwa.gif-rebreve.gifstprime.gif)

v. ar·rest·ed, ar·rest·ing, ar·rests
v.tr.
1. To stop; check: a brake that automatically arrests motion; arrested the growth of the tumor.
2. To seize and hold under the authority of law.
3. To capture and hold briefly (the attention, for example); engage.
Edited by Suradit69

Is someone preventing you from leaving Bkk ?

Soon there may be, he will be in hospital after riding into another Farangs fist.

Did the law change? Previously I always used to read on TV that riding on sidewalks was allowed?

You're right....they were/are allowed to use the footpath..........but I'm not sure if the law has actually changed, in which case all these arrested/fined riders could contest.....or it's simply a "crackdown".....which will be all over in a day or so!

Thai bikes and cars care nothing for pedestrians,more money for the police ,I have to warn everyone who comes from abroad don't expect a car or bike to stop fro you crossing the road or turning a corner,,land of smiles,not when they are driving,so selfish,and what about when coming out of a side road or turning,they seem to think it's there right of way.all so so selfish

This is true. But, what I do is walk RIGHT ACROSS THE BLOODY ROAD WITH MY HAND UP FOR THEM TO BLOODY STOP. They are genuinely surprised, as are the Thai pedestrians I sometimes tag along with me.

You also have to look them in the eyes. If they are good Buddhists, they won't take your life. I cross at a steady pace, with no sudden moves, and give them every opportunity to go around me. I also take the saphan loy when available.