Illegal Immigration Should End Next Year

george

Illegal immigration should end next year

BANGKOK: -- There will be no illegal immigrants living or working in Thailand by the end of next year, caretaker deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya said yesterday.

He said a new, integrated national mechanism would be fully operational by then. Immigration police would lead 10 other government agencies responsible for national security and civilian intelligence services in stamping out illegal entry, unlawful employment, and human trafficking.

Chidchai made his comments at a Bangkok seminar aimed at tackling illegal immigration.

The Thaksin Shinawatra administration has made ending illegal immigration a priority.

Chidchai, a former police general, said Bt100 million would be spent on creating a database containing details of all foreigners entering, leaving and living and working in Thailand.

He said other measures needed to be adopted, such as the e-passport project and suppression of fake passports and travel documents.

The fine for illegal entry would be increased to Bt500, he added.

Immigration Bureau commander Pol Lt-General Suwat Thamrongsrisakul said he would ask for more staff.

There are 3,800 immigration officers dealing with illegal immigrants that enter via more than 5,000 kilometres of border, he said.

--The Nation 2006-08-03

Sure, let's see them doing it, a very difficult task :o

It's not that hard to police Farangs. All they have to do is issue strict orders that you can only get one 90 day in a year and you can't have more than 3 tourist 30's in a one year period or any combination for a stay not exceeding 90days in a one year period. The only way to allow you to stay legally on a permanent basis would then be applying for a 1 year. Farang problem solved and we have had hints of this for some time.

That probably will not happen widely but you may see a crackdown with some people being refused reentry as is the case now. I think that they would look most unfavorably on people that have long stays by border hopping on tourist 30's. They may also have a big crackdown on people that just stay without a followup visa or work without a permit. These things may be severely tightened up and the adding of Technology may help them in that respect a great deal.

The big problem is people wandering in from bordering countries and just staying. That is hard to impossible to control.

Interesting that Thaksin has gotten a bit smarter.

Normally, it's Square-Head himself that issues these asinine, ludicrous, insane, impossible-to-meet deadlines over major issues.

Now he's got Chidchai making a dolt of himself by announcing it.

Edited by sriracha john

This is typical of gov'ts in general--they are going to solve the problem by tightening up the rules. I hate to tell them, but the tighter the rules, the greater the problem. I'm not in favor of illegals in this or any country--but it is a complex and difficult problem to solve.

Sure, let's see them doing it, a very difficult task :D

It's not that hard to police Farangs. All they have to do is issue strict orders that you can only get one 90 day in a year and you can't have more than 3 tourist 30's in a one year period or any combination for a stay not exceeding 90days in a one year period. The only way to allow you to stay legally on a permanent basis would then be applying for a 1 year. Farang problem solved and we have had hints of this for some time.

That probably will not happen widely but you may see a crackdown with some people being refused reentry as is the case now. I think that they would look most unfavorably on people that have long stays by border hopping on tourist 30's. They may also have a big crackdown on people that just stay without a followup visa or work without a permit. These things may be severely tightened up and the adding of Technology may help them in that respect a great deal.

The big problem is people wandering in from bordering countries and just staying. That is hard to impossible to control.

I thik you will find this is not aimed at falang, but at the large number of Burmese, Cambodians and Laos that live in LOS illegally. These numbers make the falang insignificant.

The only question is what will the HiSo folk use for maids, gardeners and other staff. They might have to start paying the current rate for Thai nationals. :o

And the crack down on this will give some others a chance to have some pocket money :D

Maybe Chidchai forgets that money can always ensure some of the 3,800 immigration officers dealing with illegal immigrants lost some sight and let them slip in or out ?

And the 5,000 km divided by those 3,800 immigration officers?? Taking a 24hr shift work, it will be about 1266 officers on each shift (not mentioning rest day for them) . Each will have to cover a distant of 3.9km ! :D

Are they really that alert?? :o

There will be no illegal immigrants living or working in Thailand by the end of next year, caretaker deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya said yesterday.

How the heck will they do that?

And if they do, what will become of people like my wife's (Thai) aunt? She was found in a bin by my wife's grandma as a new born (Thai). The grandma took care of her and now she is a 50 year old living in limbo without Id, without any legal status because they could not prove who she is or where she was from (other than a descendant of the cookie monster?).

I imagine there are many more like her in the country.

Ahhh, but this article in today's BP doesn't sound so upbeat:

Central body 'needed' to tackle aliens

Illegal migrants seen as growing threat

POST REPORTERS

The lack of a central agency is hampering Thailand's efforts to clamp down on illegal migrants and crimes committed by foreigners, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Wannasathit said yesterday. Pol Gen Chidchai said the absence of such an agency meant the country had no unified strategy and direction for all government offices in tackling problems on the rise in the kingdom.

''If we still have no direction, those problems will be difficult to end,'' the deputy premier said at a meeting of 11 agencies dealing with foreigners living in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04Aug2006_news17.php

Its a joke??

It must be...................

Illegal immigration is a fact of life in every country, well perhaps not in North Korea.

The only time it will stop is when there is free immigration everywhere.

Normally, it's Square-Head himself that issues these asinine, ludicrous, insane, impossible-to-meet deadlines over major issues.

So, SR John thinks Toxin has got smarter by not talking about illegal immigration himself?

Maybe Toxin should watch this video clip of his poster boy and idol.

Edited by ratcatcher

So, SR John thinks Toxin has got smarter by not talking about illegal immigration himself?

Maybe Toxin should watch this video clip of his poster boy and idol.

hahahahahaha... :o excellent!!

Well if he does do it, maybe he can give the Home Office in the UK, a few tips. :o

Either way, before we all just laugh at him, maybe we should all look at how the illegal immigrants situation is, in our country first :D Because if Thailand's situation is "laughable" then the UK's situation is "belly ripping" :D

Edited by mrbojangles

If Thailand really wants to put a halt to illegal immigration it should adapt a more ethical and helpful policy regarding Burma. The Burmese will only stop trying to get across to Thailand in such numbers when repression, ethnic discrimination and economic hardship are halted! However it would seem Thailand is not so worried about maintaining the status-quo!

Edited by mittheimp

If Thailand really wants to put a halt to illegal immigration it should adapt a more ethical and helpful policy regarding Burma. The Burmese will only stop trying to get across to Thailand in such numbers when repression, ethnic discrimination and economic hardship are halted! However it would seem Thailand is not so worried about maintaining the status-quo!

Very good point! Absolutely true.

Thailand under the Toxin regime is not really interested in trying to bring real change to Burma.

The recent fly in fly out quickie visit by Toxin and his coterie was to protect and advance his business interests with the criminals running that country we know as Burma.

The Burmese cross the Thai border desperately seeking some sort of a better life. They can't go west to Bangladesh or India because that's probably worse anyway.

In Thailand they can get hired at slave labor wages by unscrupulous Thais who dispose of them like garbage when there is a problem.

However Surakiart "Superman" Sathirathai the wannabee "Head of the U.N." (when Koffi takes a break), has stated in all seriousness :D that he will solve this Burmese problem "IF I AM ELECTED as head of the UNITED NATIONS" :o

First, I agree with those who say, "This is a government announcement. You may consider it a joke, not to be taken seriously by ANYBODY anywhere."

Second, it may indicate more xenophobia directed first at Thailand's neighboring countries who committed the sin, long ago, of being colonized.

Third, it may indicate more xenophobia directed at Western/European White farang guests. I know we're not guests, but we're treated worse.

Fourth, it may be a token nod at "fighting the war on terrorism" which Thaksin might have promised George & Tony.

Fifth, it's another bad joke.

The neat thing about Thailand, however, is that these pronouncements on high don't require any input from mere citizens, as it does in our country. The USA is still bruised from this year's debate on the same subject.

However, none of the above guarantees any White farang that conditions will improve for visas, work permits, owning land, doing business, etc.

Great place, Thailand, to be retired with several million dollars, pounds, or euros in the banks.

However Surakiart "Superman" Sathirathai the wannabee "Head of the U.N." (when Koffi takes a break), has stated in all seriousness :D that he will solve this Burmese problem "IF I AM ELECTED as head of the UNITED NATIONS" :o

ratcatcher, I want to tell you that you are talking crap.I WANT to, but as usual your posts are filled with information and common sense.The above just says it all....

Has any country been successful?

Not one!

The junta is as blind as North Korea. The only countries with any real influence would be China, India & Russia and The first two are more interested in the vast natural resources than the lives of the Burmese. After all life in India & China can't be a lot better for most of the population. Poverty.

I hope if this stupid idea is ever followed up, it leads to a damaging reduction in tourism to Thailand, resulting in a massive reduction in the inflow of money into the country , upon which the Thia government will immediately cancel it and we can be back to normal again. Back in the 1990's when just about anything except drugs was legal in Thailand it was a lovely place to be. Now they are following the UK's example of cracking down on everything i hope they get a secondf financial crises and maybe they will learn to leave the country as it was.

I seem to remember the same sort of announcement a few years ago saying they were reconsidering the income requirements for some visas. There was lots of guffawing then as well and lots of comments about how Thailand would not survive without the Farang and would loose the tourist dollar. Then they went ahead and doubled the married and retirement income requirements which left a lot laughing all the way to the border every month.