Koh Tao murders: Lawyer protests Myanmar men detention

webfact

Bleacher Bum East's last post should be made into a sticky!!! wai.gif

Just about wraps up any clinging doubts about the RTP Glee Club Captain. Not long before an inactive position will be found for him I'm sure thumbsup.gif

Don't want to steal BBE's thunder, but I have articulated JDI's ineptitude many a time, he/she relies on wiki to make poorly constructed erroneous arguments constantly. clap2.gif ... the concerning aspect is that he or she is dishonest with her belief system, and may be close to people who have an interest or involvement in the whole fiasco. JdI needs to take a breath, and step back from the edge, for their own well being. If this goes pear shaped, which it may well, one needs to be on the right side of the fence.

I rarely refer to wiki.

The rest of your post are combinations of ad hominem attacks and drama. I have no contact with people involved in the investigation or case or that benefit in any way.

Exactly why would I need to be on the right side of the fence? Why would that not apply to all here, far more than me? I am not at risk via the defamation laws or the CCA. While regardless of the outcome,people attacking identifiable organizations or individuals certainly are at risk. This is simply the law in Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Post #136 above: So it really isn't worth my time and effort to debate these issues with you any further, and after this post I won't do so.

So what is your time worth? You seem to have a lot of it for this issue.

The following are potential verdicts in a UK coroner's inquest:

Verdicts

The coroner can bring the following verdicts:

• Natural causes
  • Accident or misadventure
  • Suicide
  • Narrative, which enables the coroner to set out the circumstances by which the death came about
  • Unlawful killing
  • Miscellaneous (drug dependence/industrial)
  • Neglect
  • Open, meaning that there is insufficient evidence to decide how the death came about – the case is left open in case further evidence appears.

http://www.medicalprotection.org/uk/england-factsheets/inquests

Doesn't seem here there is much in doubt.

It is worth my time when I find a particular issue that I am interested in and feel that I have something to offer with my opinion and/or research findings that may help other people analyze the case and the issues involved. It is also worth my time to debate gray area issues with other posters when I feel both sides are presenting their arguments in an intellectually honest manner and at least taking the time to have some support, either reasoned or researched, for their arguments. This type of debate can lead to a better understanding on all sides and I would hope to learn just as much as I contribute to the discussion.

I have actually learned quite a bit from your posts, because you have put up links along the way that I may never have visited regarding issues I may never have thought of. But I think that if you are going to post a link you need to take the time to read all relevant parts, understand what type of law it is that is being applied to the facts, and understand what is black and white in the law versus what requires interpretation and is therefore gray.

The issue that you've raised in this post is also an interesting one that is very relevant to the case, i.e. what will be the scope of the coroner's verdict and report once the inquest is complete.

You've once again presented this as a black and white issue: "Doesn't seem here there is much doubt".

But the fact that "Coroners may also deliver a 'narrative verdict' which sets out the facts surrounding the death in more detail, explaining the reasons for the decision" makes it very much in doubt as to what will be included in the coroner's report.

This comes directly from the Crown Prosecution Service website:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/coroners/#a10

Narrative verdicts
"Coroners may also deliver a 'narrative verdict' which sets out the facts surrounding the death in more detail, explaining the reasons for the decision. The Coroner is also not bound by the list of suggested verdicts above; this means that as long as the Coroner can form a conclusion which is concise and indicates how the deceased came by their death, a narrative verdict is acceptable. The Coroner is unable to apportion any blame or civil or criminal liability of another individual (as defined by section 10(2) of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009)."
Interesting isn't it?
Narrative verdicts are also discussed in the Ministry of Justice's "Coroner Investigations: A Short Guide"
My guess is this: If the UK authorities believe the Thai authorities have reached the right conclusion on their own, then the coroner's verdict will be a fairly straightforward "unlawful death" with a very short supporting narrative. But if the UK authorities have information that directly conflicts with the end results of the Thai investigation and trial, then the coroner's report will be a narrative and it will communicate those conflicts as much as they relate to the cause and circumstances of death (not as they relate to any specific individual).
  • Like 2

FYI, this is the full section on "Inquest Conclusions" from the UK's Crown Prosecution Service website [bold provided by me]:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/coroners/#a10

Inquest conclusions

There is no definitive list of conclusions available to a Coroner. The Coroner (with the assistance of a jury where appropriate) may apply one of the following verdicts once satisfied of the necessary facts to the required standard of proof ('on the balance of probabilities' rather than the criminal standard of 'beyond all reasonable doubt'). The following verdicts are those most commonly used by a Coroner when concluding the cause of death at an inquest:

• natural causes (including fatal medical conditions);
  • accident or mis-adventure;
  • dependence on drugs/non-dependent abuse of drugs (the latter is often recorded as accident or mis-adventure);
  • attempted/self-induced abortion;
  • disasters subject to public inquiry;
  • self neglect or lack of care/neglect;
  • suicide;
  • unlawful killing;
  • lawful killing (such as deaths caused during acts of war, or self defence);
  • industrial disease; or
  • open verdict (where there is insufficient evidence for any other verdict).

The commencement of the provisions in the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 have added two further possible conclusions to this list: 'alcohol/drug related death', and 'road traffic collision'.

Narrative verdicts

Coroners may also deliver a 'narrative verdict' which sets out the facts surrounding the death in more detail, explaining the reasons for the decision. The Coroner is also not bound by the list of suggested verdicts above; this means that as long as the Coroner can form a conclusion which is concise and indicates how the deceased came by their death, a narrative verdict is acceptable. The Coroner is unable to apportion any blame or civil or criminal liability of another individual (as defined by section 10(2) of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009).

Edited by Bleacher Bum East

Bleacher Bum East's last post should be made into a sticky!!! wai.gif

Just about wraps up any clinging doubts about the RTP Glee Club Captain. Not long before an inactive position will be found for him I'm sure thumbsup.gif

Don't want to steal BBE's thunder, but I have articulated JDI's ineptitude many a time, he/she relies on wiki to make poorly constructed erroneous arguments constantly. clap2.gif ... the concerning aspect is that he or she is dishonest with her belief system, and may be close to people who have an interest or involvement in the whole fiasco. JdI needs to take a breath, and step back from the edge, for their own well being. If this goes pear shaped, which it may well, one needs to be on the right side of the fence.

I rarely refer to wiki.

The rest of your post are combinations of ad hominem attacks and drama. I have no contact with people involved in the investigation or case or that benefit in any way.

Exactly why would I need to be on the right side of the fence? Why would that not apply to all here, far more than me? I am not at risk via the defamation laws or the CCA. While regardless of the outcome,people attacking identifiable organizations or individuals certainly are at risk. This is simply the law in Thailand.

I was referring to the ability to live with one's self. And to go to sleep at night with a clear conscience, to not knowingly support those that do evil deeds... nothing holy about it. (But as you're American, you also have to live with the spectre of the "good lord" looking down upon you. Don't want to do anything to piss him off now do you!). It is obvious you don't have anything to do with the investigation, but it is likely you have or have had a relationship, no matter how fleeting, with someone who works on or owns a business there. Otherwise you would not be so obstinately one-eyed. I know I am right. (By the way, tell us more about your 2 handguns that your "husband" doesn't even "really" know about... this interests me. I am also a handgun enthusiast. I have a fully licensed Glock 9mm.)

• Like 2

Burmese kids accused of Koh Tao murders appeal to the parents of the murdered,...I've never heard of such a thing.

"Handwritten in Burmese, and with their names signed in English, it reads: We are really distraught about the loss of your children, and we share your grief. But we want to stress to you that we didnt do anything wrong, and this crime was nothing to do with us.

In order that the truth can be revealed, we want to ask for help from all of you to ensure that we get access to information that the British government has. We would like this information to be shared with our lawyers so the truth can come out. We really want to express our thanks for your help.

sounds to me as though

the british detectives spoke to the burmese lawyers, and told them what to do to get them involved

• Like 1

I sleep quite well. Trying to shift my position from being against trial by social media ; to having some benefits from my knowing people on the island is pathetic. BTW my nationality nor my religion (or that of most of my countrymen) has anything to do with anything :) Should the 2 Burmese men accused of being the killers be convicted, and without the objection of the UK police etc. Will you sleep well knowing that the conspiracy theorists made this less speedy, risked the investigation?

As for the off topic question.

We have 2 ranges where I live and work, and another 2 just 6 miles away. Hubby knows all about them, though he really hasn't seen them.

I am licensed for both. 1 in BKK and the other in Nakhon Nayok.

Edited by jdinasia

All but a relatively few young men have a mother. If she's at all involved with her son, she should at least be questioned. You wanna drag Murdoch in to this? Jeez Louise.

One : you say that there's a conspiracy. That makes you presenting conspiracy theories.

Two: you brought the kid's mother into this then deflected.

Three: the press is the press. Murdoch pays well for stories.

Four: your Murdoch question deflects from why not one single conspiracy theory has been proven yet. Not one person can place the kid on the island nor show evidence of any problems at the bar.

The 2 Burmese men accused of being the killers have been in jail for quite awhile but you have nothing to prove their innocence nor the guilt of anyone else. Social media / armchair detectives / conspiracy theorists have so far failed on every count

I won't respond to 1,2 and 3 just now, as they seem too odd to address. However, your #4 assertion needs a response: First off, nothing Thai authorities have put forward thus far has been proven. Indeed, several (if not many) things put forth by Thai cops have been disproven. Secondly, there is evidence which strongly suggests the kid was on the island that fateful night:

>>> CCTV footage from near the crime scene. A person doesn't have to be a forensic (or any other type of) expert to gauge however much someone resembles a somewhat-fuzzy image. All people have similar skills in that regard. Neither of the B2 remotely resemble the image shown. Nomsod resembles the image in several key ways, which have been mentioned in T.Visa posts. Thirdly (still related to item #4 in the post above), the only thing posing as an alibi for Nomsod being in Bkk, is a CCTV shot (was a 'still', is now is a 3 second video) which no one except diehard shielders of the headman's family can claim (with a straight face) is proof of anything other than a shoddy job of fudging with the date/time-numbers. There are other ways to indicate Nomsod was on the island, such as transport records, his g.f. and friends' testimony, phone records, speedboat info, perhaps even questioning his barber ....but those and more are not things which can be expected from Thai officials, because they're marching in lockstep to shield the boy (plus, they're just not smart enough to think outside the box). In sum: anything which may implicate the boy is off-limits or hidden, as far as Thai officials and jdinasia are concerned.

• Like 1

Avoiding and deflecting.

Why hasn't anyone proven he was on the island OR proven he wasn't at his BKK residence? Nothing in any press (Thai or foreign) to show the conspiracy theory that the furniture was changed. Not one photo of him at the bar that night with people taking selfies etc...

Avoiding and deflecting.

Why hasn't anyone proven he was on the island OR proven he wasn't at his BKK residence? Nothing in any press (Thai or foreign) to show the conspiracy theory that the furniture was changed. Not one photo of him at the bar that night with people taking selfies etc...

Obviously you have read all foreign press again. You should add as last time, that you are aware of. (paraphrase)

Avoiding and deflecting.

Obviously you have read all foreign press again. You should add as last time, that you are aware of. (paraphrase)

Or that anyone commenting on this has posted about, or that my daily boolean search finds...

But again you are aware of this, and are deflecting...

Avoiding and deflecting.

it's the weakest alibi and world class bull crap, and everyone knows it, including you

all pretense that his cousin was caught lying for him,

and his own father put his foot in his mouth stating first he left before the murders, then, that he couldnt reach him for weeks,

lying, is your entertainment, but no one is entertained by you,

Yet nothing to prove that his alibi isn't rock solid other than conspiracy theories.

Pretty easy to confirm the CCTV furniture being gone weeks before, but...

Some of you should try looking at this whitout massive desire for JDinasia to be proved wrong.

He makes some very good points, we all know it doesnt add up, something is very wrong but the chances of the son being on the island are very very slim.

Very true, however to rely on the press for your argument is just as naive as relying on facebook, There is a lot I certainly do not know and I have to presume at least 99% of others do not know. I am not deflecting any thing, I like JDinasia posting his take, however I do wonder who is giving who the runaround.

"Thai officials started out, at the earlier stages of the investigation, saying that Thailand didn't have the facilities to type DNA. That apparently changed. Everyone, except those who are shielding the headman's people from justice, want the DNA trail to be verified by outsiders - all the way from the specimens taken from the female victim."

I believe the DNA of the suspects was tested in Singapore, not Thailand (and the Singapore lab concluded the DNA was of Asian origin).

no DNA was ever sent to Singapore

they said first, to the FBI, then they said no, to Singapore,

then they said no, Chaing Mai

no reason to believe them about anything related to the DNA now

[/quote

In late 2009 I had to have my son's DNA tested in a paternity/custody suit. It was categorically affirmed that Thailand didn't have the facilities to match a father and son and I had to send samples to the UK. Of course things may have changed in the intervening period.

In 2007 a Farang friend of mine was ordered by a Thai court, in a paternity case to take a DNA test to confirm if he was or was not the father of a child with a Thai female.

He had to travel to Bangkok, where the test was completed at the Police Hospital near Siam Paragon.

Yet the police have said from day one, that they don't have the facilities or personnel to carry out these test in Thailand, now why would they say that?.

"Thai officials started out, at the earlier stages of the investigation, saying that Thailand didn't have the facilities to type DNA. That apparently changed. Everyone, except those who are shielding the headman's people from justice, want the DNA trail to be verified by outsiders - all the way from the specimens taken from the female victim."

I believe the DNA of the suspects was tested in Singapore, not Thailand (and the Singapore lab concluded the DNA was of Asian origin).

no DNA was ever sent to Singapore

they said first, to the FBI, then they said no, to Singapore,

then they said no, Chaing Mai

no reason to believe them about anything related to the DNA now

[/quote

In late 2009 I had to have my son's DNA tested in a paternity/custody suit. It was categorically affirmed that Thailand didn't have the facilities to match a father and son and I had to send samples to the UK. Of course things may have changed in the intervening period.

In 2007 a Farang friend of mine was ordered by a Thai court, in a paternity case to take a DNA test to confirm if he was or was not the father of a child with a Thai female.

He had to travel to Bangkok, where the test was completed at the Police Hospital near Siam Paragon.

Yet the police have said from day one, that they don't have the facilities or personnel to carry out these test in Thailand, now why would they say that?.

I would suggest that the sample was taken at PGH but the test itself run overseas in 2007. That way there was a chain of custody from collection to the lab.

Avoiding and deflecting.

it's the weakest alibi and world class bull crap, and everyone knows it, including you

all pretense that his cousin was caught lying for him,

and his own father put his foot in his mouth stating first he left before the murders, then, that he couldnt reach him for weeks,

lying, is your entertainment, but no one is entertained by you,

"...and his own father put his foot in his mouth stating first he left before the murders..."

I think you meant to say "... he left the island that morning ...." (after the murders).

correct me if I'm wrong.

You guys keep holding on to one report and ignoring those that came beforehand and afterwards.

Even with 1 million baht reward for proof that the son is guilty, even with all the residents in the son's building, even with all the people (Burmese, Thai, and foreign) on the island... Nobody can place the son anywhere but BKK.

Not a picture of him with the victims. No press reports about the furniture at the apartments in BKK. Nothing.

Oh, wait, it was a conspiracy that reached far past the tiny island where the headman had power and all the way to BKK for the investigation of the alibi!!! Not only different cops and a different region, but an entirely different command structure in the police.

Oh wait, the conspiracy reached even further!! It got to the press! Not just the Thai press but the foreign press as well!!

Oh wait, not only did the conspiracy get to the police and the press, it also reached every citizen of the island and every foreigner that left the island!

Yes, I can see why the conspiracy theorists find it so easy to think that they "know" who killed the victims.

• Like 1

Why when they returned to their room , they were acting normally, as their friend has indicated, and why no blood on their clothes .

Blood on there clothes with the Dna would have been conclusive evidence.

Total farce .

When do you think they were arrested?

Yes agreed , but no clothes were found with blood on them.

Again, when do you think they were arrested?

Or after you committed your last murders did you keep bloody clothes around the house?

So they threw away their bloody clothes, but kept their victim's phone :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

You guys keep holding on to one report and ignoring those that came beforehand and afterwards.

Even with 1 million baht reward for proof that the son is guilty, even with all the residents in the son's building, even with all the people (Burmese, Thai, and foreign) on the island... Nobody can place the son anywhere but BKK.

Not a picture of him with the victims. No press reports about the furniture at the apartments in BKK. Nothing.

Oh, wait, it was a conspiracy that reached far past the tiny island where the headman had power and all the way to BKK for the investigation of the alibi!!! Not only different cops and a different region, but an entirely different command structure in the police.

Oh wait, the conspiracy reached even further!! It got to the press! Not just the Thai press but the foreign press as well!!

Oh wait, not only did the conspiracy get to the police and the press, it also reached every citizen of the island and every foreigner that left the island!

Yes, I can see why the conspiracy theorists find it so easy to think that they "know" who killed the victims.

I have read some reasonable arguments for some of them points above as well as some ludicrous ones, however I agree with your point as a whole (negative press reports). For all the ducks to fall into line, the odds must be quite high.

Why when they returned to their room , they were acting normally, as their friend has indicated, and why no blood on their clothes .

Blood on there clothes with the Dna would have been conclusive evidence.

Total farce .

When do you think they were arrested?

Yes agreed , but no clothes were found with blood on them.

Again, when do you think they were arrested?

Or after you committed your last murders did you keep bloody clothes around the house?

So they threw away their bloody clothes, but kept their victim's phone :blink: :blink:

Phone was not found in the room.

the phone was found at the crime scene, as the police reported at the time,

the phone was then planted later

please, do not continue to cover for the planting of evidence, it is well known that we forced the police to make retractions, and they were caught lying about the phone,

no amount of your post editing is changing that

they were caught planting that phone, it is well known

notice, no reports of fingerprints or DNA from the phone,

the case is being puked out in an international manner while police officers are bring thrown from high places and some found hanging

and others are bring caught on tape taking bribes

your nonsense has back fired on you as posters are uncovering more evidence and opening more holes in this case than you could have even hoped for when your disinformation campaign began,

keep up the good work,

your agitation will bring Mon to justice,

just the opposite of what you hoped

• Like 1

A report in a newspaper does not, in itself, give credence to a report from a social media site. Some newspapers, particularly in the UK, are purposefully NOT reporting certain things about the case - in order to not prejudice court proceedings (if it ever comes to court). Other newspapers, particularly in Thailand, are trepidatous re; what they print. Remember, Thailand is under martial law right now. The PM has already ordered news media to not use the word 'Burmese' when commenting on this case. He has also hammered home the idea that, 'there are no scapegoats'. Overly defensive, perchance?

The only item which purportedly places Nomsod in Bkk is the CCTV, which is almost certainly tampered with. The furniture in the video is self-explanatory. All the rest mentioned in jdinasia's post, above, is theatrics.

A report in a newspaper does not, in itself, give credence to a report from a social media site. Some newspapers, particularly in the UK, are purposefully NOT reporting certain things about the case - in order to not prejudice court proceedings (if it ever comes to court). Other newspapers, particularly in Thailand, are trepidatous re; what they print. Remember, Thailand is under martial law right now. The PM has already ordered news media to not use the word 'Burmese' when commenting on this case. He has also hammered home the idea that, 'there are no scapegoats'. Overly defensive, perchance?

The only item which purportedly places Nomsod in Bkk is the CCTV, which is almost certainly tampered with. The furniture in the video is self-explanatory. All the rest mentioned in jdinasia's post, above, is theatrics.

theatrics,

hysterics

how about calling it what it really is,

fertilizer for fools

So what would happen if there is not enough evidence in this case, would the police release the "suspects" and reopen the investigation!

Almost assuredly. Plus, now there's the added pressure (on Thai officialdom) of 12 Burmese experts (including forensics) who just showed up today. I'd say it's likely the Thais will release the 2 on bail. Nothing remotely like this would have happened if there was no social media involvement. If it had been biz-as-usual, the B2 (or B3) would have been quickly indicted, found guilty, and either executed or locked up for decades.

As for 'reopening the investigation' .... Very unlikely. All the efforts by Thai officials involved with this case have been to shield the headman's people. The only way they would look again at them (and it would be very reluctantly) is if there were strong evidence (coming from the Burmese or Brits) which showed the Thai investigation was fatally flawed (and which implicated the headman's people). One can be hopeful (that justice will be pursued), but I'm sorry to say I'm cynical about that happening.

• Like 1

Sean mcanna has been quiet for a while, his revelations brought some action from RTP last time, wonder what the next ones will bring.

Above all of this "farce" have we all forgotten that 2 completely innocent people, with great futures ahead of them had their lives savagely taken away. That is the biggest shame and my opinion thailand does not care.

• Like 1

Sean mcanna has been quiet for a while, his revelations brought some action from RTP last time, wonder what the next ones will bring.

Above all of this "farce" have we all forgotten that 2 completely innocent people, with great futures ahead of them had their lives savagely taken away. That is the biggest shame and my opinion thailand does not care.

Cannot agree with your last sentance. Many Thais are not happy with what occurred to these two young people, unfortunately they feel as powerless as us, in how to deal with the lawless society in which we all live.

• Like 2