Decent American Breakfast

saramsland

Very helpful information. My son and I will be heading there in January and (as an American kid) he will be very confused if he ends up with beans and tomatoes on his breakfast plate. thumbsup.gif

We'll eventually work our way around to trying new versions of breakfast, but slowly, slowly...

• Like 1

Hash browns can mean different things to different people but I agree that the ones at the Golf Club are the pre-made patties like McDonald's. That is the one dissapointing thing there when the rest of their stuff is really good.

I don't think I've seen home fries with peppers and onions anywhere, but the Continental makes excellent fresh hash browns (the shredded kind) but I think the call them rosti. They comes with the Swiss Breakfast which I always order there.

Well, it does exist. Country Road bar/restaurant on Buakhao Market square, beside the Second Hand Bookstore, serves fried potatoes, with peppers and onions, plus two eggs (120 baht). I always add a side order of bacon. Total price 160 bt. Not bad if you want a big potato feed. I have yet to finish the meal.

I've had the rather bland rosti at the Continental. Seems like they forget to season it.

• Like 1

Any breakfast buffet will do. There's one at the hotel formerly known as Diana Inn on 2nd road and soi Diana.

They have cereal, french toast, pretty sure they have home fries too.

Any breakfast buffet will not do, there are breakfast buffets and then there are breakfast buffets, that's why people are recommending Casa Pascal's. The Amari, Tavern by the Sea serves a buffet (250 baht) on Sunday morning that is quite frankly lousy.

Very helpful information. My son and I will be heading there in January and (as an American kid) he will be very confused if he ends up with beans and tomatoes on his breakfast plate. thumbsup.gif

We'll eventually work our way around to trying new versions of breakfast, but slowly, slowly...

Chuckling, many years ago I ordered an English breakfast here and of course there were the ubiquitous beans and tomato. I said to myself what the hell is this, and then my English friend had ordered beans on toast. Of course we had a lively discussion on British cuisine (or lack of it). I argued how can anybody eat beans at 8:00 am in the morning and also spoil perfectly good toast.
  • Like 2

Any breakfast buffet will do. There's one at the hotel formerly known as Diana Inn on 2nd road and soi Diana.

Any breakfast buffet will not do, there are breakfast buffets and then there are breakfast buffets, that's why people are recommending Casa Pascal's. The Amari, Tavern by the Sea serves a buffet (250 baht) on Sunday morning that is quite frankly lousy.

The Empress Hotel (soi 12, beach side, Pattaya, past the Lek Hotel and Avenue Mall) has a really good breakfast buffet at 220 baht (traditional American breakfast and many farang dishes and Asian dishes, with a view of the ocean). Moonshine (Soi 4, Jomtien) makes very good American-style pancakes w/ excellent syrup--also good bacon, decent American-style homemade sausage, superb American-style biscuits and gravy, and even SOS for those who miss being in the military. Thanks for the information about the Continental in Jomtien. I have not eaten there is a very long time and did not know about Swiss-style shredded potatoes (roesti), which look like American hash browns. Here is a picture of Roesti:

post-110622-0-41281900-1416703275_thumb.

Just a thought, what about the restaurant in Foodland (forget the name now, (Tok lae dee or something), but very reasonable, and virtually 24hr))?

I haven't checked their menu recently but I know they'll cook anything (within reason) that you buy in the shop.

Had eggs benedict there last week with fresh coffee and juice - really good and only 72 Baht.

Well I think we need to define American breakfast, for me it consists of pancakes, cereal and fresh fruit. Doesn't need to be fancy preferably fast though. :)

I've been to Casa Pascal not for breakfast though.

Edited by OnMyWay2

The Empress Hotel (soi 12, beach side, Pattaya, past the Lek Hotel and Avenue Mall) has a really good breakfast buffet at 220 baht (traditional American breakfast and many farang dishes and Asian dishes, with a view of the ocean).

They did not do bacon with it when I looked. For me bacon is essential in a cooked breakfast.

Well I think we need to define American breakfast, for me it consists of pancakes, cereal and fresh fruit. Doesn't need to be fancy preferably fast though. :)

I've been to Casa Pascal not for breakfast though.

Yes, many Americans have pancakes for breakfast. But first let's understand what is not an American breakfast. First picture is not. The other pictures could be a typical American breakfast of course there are regional variations as the southerners like, their grits, biscuits and gravy.

post-9935-0-44131900-1416709757_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-74343800-1416709947_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-62911200-1416709965_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-54373000-1416709981_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The Empress Hotel (soi 12, beach side, Pattaya, past the Lek Hotel and Avenue Mall) has a really good breakfast buffet at 220 baht (traditional American breakfast and many farang dishes and Asian dishes, with a view of the ocean). Moonshine (Soi 4, Jomtien) makes very good American-style pancakes w/ excellent syrup--also good bacon, decent American-style homemade sausage, superb American-style biscuits and gravy, and even SOS for those who miss being in the military. Thanks for the information about the Continental in Jomtien. I have not eaten there is a very long time and did not know about Swiss-style shredded potatoes (roesti), which look like American hash browns. Here is a picture of Roesti:

attachicon.gifRoesti.jpg

I believe everyone is referring to the Continental Bakery on Soi Xcyte, Pattaya. It has a very extensive breakfast menu (rosti included) and nice outdoor patio and indoor a/c room.

attachicon.gifRoesti.jpg

I believe everyone is referring to the Continental Bakery on Soi Xcyte, Pattaya. It has a very extensive breakfast menu (rosti included) and nice outdoor patio and indoor a/c room.

I was thinking about the Continental in Jomtien--down from the statue (golden fish-monkey-monster thing) on the way to Pattaya, before the Theppraya and Thepprasit intersection. I did not even know they were in Pattaya. But, I just saw this on their website:

... still using the origional Bakery shop in Jomtien...The Continental Bakery started business over 11 years ago in 1999 in a small

1 unit shop in Jomtien...now has 4 Restaurants in Pattaya and

another Restaurant and Bakery In Koh Samui.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifRoesti.jpg

I was thinking about the Continental in Jomtien--down from the statue (golden fish-monkey-monster thing) on the way to Pattaya, before the Theppraya and Thepprasit intersection. I did not even know they were in Pattaya. But, I just saw this on their website:

... still using the origional Bakery shop in Jomtien...The Continental Bakery started business over 11 years ago in 1999 in a small

1 unit shop in Jomtien...now has 4 Restaurants in Pattaya and

another Restaurant and Bakery In Koh Samui.

OK, then. What applies to one Conti outlet might apply to all. Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that all the Conti shops offer the same breakfast items?

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Haven't tried Sam's Mexican for breakfast but he's got some interesting American and Tex-Mex choices for that, and there you go, country fried potatoes.

We now offer traditional English breakfast. American country breakfast, large selection of omelets including Mexican chorizo and Tex-mex chili omelets. Breakfast sandwiches, including bagels with cream cheese & smoked salmon. The American breakfast has streaky bacon and Sam's homemade country sausage patties & country fried potatoes.

http://samsmexican.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=11

• Like 1

I just had breakfast at Casa Pascal for the first time. Lovely spot. Didn't know it was a buffet place. Not a fan of buffets since food gets luke warm waiting for bits and pieces of my breakfast. Have to say the food was a step or two above average. But rosti again, not cut potatoes and onions. Oh well, the search goes on.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I just had breakfast at Casa Pascal for the first time....But rosti again, not cut potatoes and onions. Oh well, the search goes on.

They almost always have the rosti but the potatoes and onions are one of the hot dishes that vary from day to day. They do it quite often though.

• 1 month later...

Foodland on Central Pattaya Rd.

From a recent thread. Just a terrible American breakfast. American in name only.

I finally made it to Back Fabrik and I can highly recommend it as it is also a good value because of the quality and varied breakfast selections available. I had the classic breakfast, a beautiful assortment of bakery breads, fresh oj, meat and cheeses, excellent sausage. Picture attached. Yesterday they were closed so I went to Took lae Dee since I had shopping at Foodland. I had something they call an American breakfast and what a disappointment, a complete waste of money. If I am so down on life that I have to eat in places like this then life is no longer worth living. The last time I was so disappointed with a breakfast was the Boat Cafe years ago. I know they are cheap but in my opinion a waste of money, you're get what you pay for. Picture also attached. I recommend Back Fabrik and is now one of my top choices for breakfast in the Jomtien area.

That Foodland breakfast looks familiar.

O yea, that weekend in the county jail, back in Ohio. That's what they serve.

Edited by ThaiBob

^^^Where do they get this crap? You see this abominable cocktail wiener thingy in "American breakfasts" at upcountry hotels and guesthouses, sitting in a warming pan in greasy water. If they'd just look up American breakfast on the internet, they'd have their answers. <Face palm>

Thais like those sausages. Just look at the endless rows of the evil things in supermarkets.

And it's mostly Thais who eat those 7/11 meals, even if they are called "American".

Yeah, but it's kind of annoying that American food would be so incorrectly stereotyped here.

Maybe offer a "Thai breakfast" in the USA ... fried grubs on a stick!