Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PopAce

I went in to a different branch and got the English letter there. They must have got all confused at my (old) branch.

Also Ram hospital said the had a Dept for that called HomeCare , will be open in

the morning

Thanks for info on Driver Licence. Would've saved me a trip

• Like 1

Picked up my passport from Tendy today.

Went in just before 9.00 am (2 people said I would not be seen until 10.00 am) and walked out at 9.15 am with the new shiny passport.

I shall email HMPO and ask them why they issued a 32 page passport when I requested a 48 page jumbo version !

• Like 1

Went in just before 9.00 am (2 people said I would not be seen until 10.00 am) and walked out at 9.15 am with the new shiny passport.

I shall email HMPO and ask them why they issued a 32 page passport when I requested a 48 page jumbo version !

cheesy.gif utterly <deleted> appalling service !! make sure you get a refund

cheesy.gif utterly <deleted> appalling service !! make sure you get a refund

Well done HMPO another shining example of your superb new 'service'.

On HMPO's current track record I guess on being called, they will offer an immediate refund, but point out that this would also invoke a summary cancellation of Jip99s 32 page 'mini'.

So a new 48 page jumbo application would then need to be made and thus to please email trendy suggesting 3x times /dates for an appointment and make travel plans accordingly xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png

• Like 1

You do know it will take a while.

You do know it will take a while.

The last time i renewed my passport,i was entitled to ten years and nine months,needless to say my passport showed only ten years.

As i was in Liverpool, i went to HMPO to point out their mistake,i could not believe the amount of security, X-ray machines there was,you had a better chance of breaking into fort Knox.

After i pointed out their mistake,they took the passport back and told me they would issue a new passport with the correct date to expire,i received the new passport about ten days later.

So if you are going to send it back,i would not go booking your annual Kuoini holiday,as you could be in the monkey house on the charge of staying without a passport.

Now we really do know they have been monitoring this thread 555.

Couldn't make it up!!!

When I visited the Embassy the very helpful consular officer gave me a hard copy of the relevant complaints procedure re passport services.

It may be worth some guys putting their experiences down in writing and sending it off to the relevant people - I will be doing so when I eventually receive my passport. I was told that I should copy my comments/complaints to [email protected] since my comments relate to the system in general rather than one specific issue. A prime example is that we are told that we can expect "special provisions and services for people with disabilities" - I would like to know specifically what special provisions are in place for aged and infirm UK residents in Thailand, particularly those who live some distance from Bangkok.

living in Chiang Mai, and currently on a Visa on Arrival extension on medical grounds(doc says I'm not fit to travel as I have a leg injury),

I emailed HMPObangkok to ask if it was strictly necessary for me to go to bangkok for the interview.

I dont believe they read nor understood my email, they simply responded with

"For apply passport renewal the applicant need to apply in person in Bangkok, Thailand only."

It would help them to be taken seriously if they can write english properly

Why e-mail HMPO Bangkok - it's VFS. You need to contact HMPO in UK.

You can quote from their published guidelines:

"What you can expect from us

We aim to provide a high standard of customer service in all our dealings with customers. You can expect:

• staff to be polite, helpful and professional

• passports to be issued in line with our published standards

• details on your passport to be correct and your supporting documents to be returned promptly

• registration certificates to be issued in line with our published standards from the General Register Office (GRO)

• special provisions and services for people with disabilities

• clear and helpful explanations from our staff if you are denied a British passport because of citizenship or on other grounds"

I contacted HMPO UK via the form on the website, I couldnt find an email.

I explained that I had an injury and asked if it was absolutely necessary to go to bangkok twice

This was their reply;

"If you wish to apply for, renew or replace a British passport and you are resident outside of the UK you will need to use the following link:

www.gov.uk/overseas-passports "

Which wasn't very helpful

I contacted HMPO UK via the form on the website, I couldnt find an email.

I explained that I had an injury and asked if it was absolutely necessary to go to bangkok twice

This was their reply;

"If you wish to apply for, renew or replace a British passport and you are resident outside of the UK you will need to use the following link:

www.gov.uk/overseas-passports "

Which wasn't very helpful

Yes that's what you get!

Your only choice for feedback is to contact the HMPO UK Helpline in the UK or to email them, details below:

If you have a passport application query please contact the Passport Advice Line +44 300 222 0000 rather than the local Embassy, High Commission or VAC.

This is a standard UK Landline and calls are charged at the standard rate to call such a number, Skype works fine.

Else email to [email protected] or [email protected] for enquiries, complain to [email protected]

Edited by digitalchromakey

A quick update on my passport application.

I am not 13 days into my overstay, however my dear mother in Edinburgh contacted her local MSP to complain since I was getting nowhere with HMPO.. As it turns round they managed to get my application fast tracked so i received an email on Tuesday asking for proof of residence.. I explained my overstay situation so they agreed that i could scan it and email it that day..

Later on Tuesday they confirmed that my passport had been sent for printing and would be posted out immediately..

Does anyone know how long it takes to print and send to here.. I'm hoping i can receive it by tomorrow..

• Like 1

I am not 13 days into my overstay, however my dear mother in Edinburgh contacted her local MSP to complain since I was getting nowhere with HMPO.. As it turns round they managed to get my application fast tracked so i received an email on Tuesday asking for proof of residence.. I explained my overstay situation so they agreed that i could scan it and email it that day..

Later on Tuesday they confirmed that my passport had been sent for printing and would be posted out immediately..

Does anyone know how long it takes to print and send to here.. I'm hoping i can receive it by tomorrow..

That's good news for you. Use the official channel, get nothing useful. A word with one of the boys, instant results. Wonder what would have happened if you had explained you were unfit to travel to/from Trendy.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Scott

Well done,hope you get sorted now.Did your mother have to pay for the fast track service ?

Some passport renewal applicants are more equal than others. (Paraphrase- Animal Farm- George Orwell)

Jip99

Congrats on getting something (better than nothing) back from HMPO.

Please could you post the date you applied?

I'm trying to keep track of those posts which show date applied and date a "result" was forthcoming.

Thanks!

Follow up about opening a Kasikorn Bank account on a Tourist Visa for those that need to find a payment method....

Shopping center, next to Big C, near On Nut BTS:

Last week I had missed normal banking hours so I tried my hand at this small branch inside the shopping center, since these small shopping center branches usually have wider opening hours. English language skills were not high but enough to get [something] done, along with a little Thai language skill.

They were polite and respectful. Explained I wanted to open an account to use the e-shopping card so I could renew my passport. The lady asked for a Work Permit so I explained I can't legally start new work until I get the passport with room for a new visa. At this point she called over a superior who called an English language customer service line and got them to explain that a decision would be down to the branch manager and this one felt they could not help me. I was advised to go to the big Sukhumvit branch near Soi 33 since they are more used to dealing with foreigners. Meanwhile, the original lady who served me was leafing through my passport taking great interest in all my stamps and visas. She asked me if BKK Bank had given me a debit card based on a Tourist Visa. Then she gave the passport back, apologized and I was out the door.

I figured it was mostly to do with the branch manager decision, but I also had a feeling I might have approached it wrongly by overplaying my need for a new passport and thus drawing attention to the idea that they (being not so used to dealing with foreigners) were faced with 'a foreigner who has issues with his passport'.

Sukhumvit branch by Soi 33:

The following Monday (of this week just gone) I went to the classic branch mentioned not only in this thread already but in numerous places across the internet for being foreigner-friendly where numerous folk have successfully opened a new account on a Tourist Visa.

I waited ages to get served and it took less than a minute to be rejected at the desk. As soon as I said I wanted to open an account she asked if I had a Work Permit and it was clearly dead in the water from there.

Asoke branch:

Given the name, this is actually a small branch between Asoke and Phetchaburi Road. Head north up Ratchadaphisek away from Asoke BTS on the left side of the road where Soi Cowboy is to your right (and thus on the opposite side from you). Keep looking left and after maybe 10 minutes walking you will see a Kasikorn sign on a building that (if I recall correctly) houses various businesses inside. This is NOT Asoke Branch. I did not try this one because I approached this area from the opposite direction. Keep walking.

Another 5 minutes or so on the left is another Kasikorn branch. It's in its own dedicated building with a front door onto the main street, is quite small and all other customers were Thai. Taking a number slip for the Open New Account queue resulted in getting seen really fast, probably because this branch gets fewer walk-in customers.

Given my experience with the previous smaller branch I didn't hold out much hope and was beginning to feel depressed after a rejection from the 'friendly' Soi 33 branch. The guy who served me didn't seem to need anyone else's judgement to make a decision for himself.

I explained I wanted to open an account so I could use the e-card to make payment for a new passport, because otherwise I could not get a visa to legally start a new job. I used this as my opening gambit to show the problem and that I am a good guy, and to immediately avoid wasting any more time with mention of a Work Permit: either he would reject me so I could move on or he would react to my plight....

I pulled out my SCB and BKK Bank cards and explained how they were useless to me; and I also pulled out my rental contract and a pile of receipts and said I have stayed at this address for a long time now and the manager there can vouch for me and say I am a good guy, if he wants to call him but the bank worker smiled that off. Meanwhile I placed 7000 baht on the desk. Success!

Compare the experience with the other small branch (related above). Both deal with mostly Thai people. I tried speaking mostly Thai at the one near Big C, but at Asoke Branch the guy said he could speak English "nit noi" but really I think he was being humble because I spoke 95% English to him and he understood everything. I must have got lucky and met someone with a decent amount of responsibility on a good day. He seemed like a decent guy trying to help out and took interest in the issue of paying for the passport vs other bank cards. At the Big C branch I feel they were more fearful of rules vs dealing with foreigners.

Went outside to set my pin number on the ATM, next day got online banking approved through my email and the day after that my e-card application was approved. That guy probably has no idea just how much he might have saved my life. Next time I make a wish it will be for him and his.

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 1

Reports to date are 7 days from going to the UK Passport Printers to arrival at Trendy for collection.

However, have no idea what your 'fast track' process will achieve, please do let this thread know your results - thanks.

Follow up about opening a Kasikorn Bank account on a Tourist Visa for those that need to find a payment method....

Shopping center, next to Big C, near On Nut BTS:

Last week I had missed normal banking hours so I tried my hand at this small branch inside the shopping center, since these small branches have wider opening hours. English language skills were not high but enough to get [something] done, along with a little Thai language skill.

They were polite and respectful. Explained I wanted to open an account to use the e-shopping card so I could renew my passport. The lady asked for a Work Permit so I explained I can't legally start new work until I get the passport with room for a new visa. At this point she called over a superior who called an English language customer service line and got them to explain that a decision would be down to the branch manager and this one felt they could not help me. I was advised to go to the big Sukhumvit branch near Soi 33 since they are more used to dealing with foreigners. Meanwhile, the original lady who served me was leafing through my passport taking great interest in all my stamps and visas. Then she gave the passport back, apologized and I was out the door.

I figured it was mostly to do with the branch manager decision, but I also had a feeling I might have approached it wrongly by overplaying my need for a new passport and thus drawing attention to the idea that they (being not so used to dealing with foreigners) were faced with 'a foreigner who has issues with his passport'.

Sukhumvit branch by Soi 33:

The following Monday (of this week just gone) I went to the classic branch mentioned not only in this thread already but in numerous places across the internet for being foreigner-friendly where numerous folk have successfully opened a new account on a Tourist Visa.

I waited ages to get served and it took less than a minute to be rejected at the desk. As soon as I said I wanted to open an account she asked if I had a Work Permit and it was clearly dead in the water from there.

Asoke branch:

Given the name, this is actually a small branch between Asoke and Phetchaburi Road. Head north up Ratchadaphisek away from Asoke BTS on the left side of the road where Soi Cowboy is to your right (and thus on the opposite side from you). Keep looking left and after maybe 10 minutes walking you will see a Kasikorn sign on a building that (if I recall correctly) houses various businesses inside. This is NOT Asoke Branch. I did not try this one because I approached this area from the opposite direction. Keep walking.

Another 5 minutes or so on the left is another Kasikorn branch. It's in its own dedicated building with a front door onto the main street, is quite small and all other customers were Thai. Taking a number slip for the Open New Account queue resulted in getting seen really fast, probably because this branch gets fewer walk-in customers.

Given my experience with the previous smaller branch I didn't hold out much hope and was beginning to feel depressed after a rejection from the 'friendly' Soi 33 branch. The guy who served me didn't seem to need anyone else's judgement to make a decision for himself. I explained I wanted to open an account so I could use the e-card to make payment for a new passport, because otherwise I could not get a visa to start new work. I pulled out my SCB and BKK Bank cards and explained how they were useless to me; and I also pulled out my rental contract and a pile of receipts and said I have stayed at this address for a long time now and the manager there can vouch for me and say I am a good guy, if he wants to call him but the bank worker smiled that off. Meanwhile I placed 7000 baht on the desk. Success!

Compare the experience with the other small branch (related above). Both deal with mostly Thai people. I tried speaking mostly Thai at the one near Big C, but at Asoke Branch the guy said he could speak English "nit noi" but really I think he was being humble because I spoke 95% English to him and he understood everything. I must have got lucky and met someone with a decent amount of responsibility on a good day. He seemed like a decent guy trying to help out and took interest in the issue of paying for the passport vs other bank cards. At the Big C branch I feel they were more fearful of rules vs dealing with foreigners.

Went outside to set my pin number on the ATM, next day got online banking approved through my email and the day after that my e-card application was approved. That guy probably has no idea just how much he might have saved my life. Next time I make a wish it will be for him and his.

Result.

• Like 1

special provisions and services for people with disabilities - my a**

See post 1183.

It was pointed out to the officer I contacted in Newport that the reason my girl isn't living with me is due to her disability, but no special provision was offered and no suggestion made (other than travel to Thailand to apply in person, then travel back there again for collection).

So I would take what ever they say on the web site with a pinch of salt.

The same website lays down the process to take your complaint higher. If you believe you have a genuine greivance, pursue it.

The complete document can be viewed here - it gives you the contact details of whom you should escalate the complaint to.

Complaint made, informing HM Passport Office that the new rules are actually discriminating against disabled people.

Will update the forum once I get a reply.

Got a reply to my complaint.

Their answer was simple:-

"...after referring to your emails I have nothing more to add..."

Basically = tough! Take 2 return flights to another country get her passport.

Is there another address to write to in the UK to take this higher?

Got a reply to my complaint.

Their answer was simple:-

"...after referring to your emails I have nothing more to add..."

Basically = tough! Take 2 return flights to another country get her passport.

Is there another address to write to in the UK to take this higher?

UK Government Website says this is the full procedure for complaints about passports being issued in the UK; well as I see it, all our passports are now being issued in the UK, so here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

and here is the main content - good hunting....

Complaints procedure

If you're not satisfied with the service received when applying for a passport or dealing with the General Register Office, you can make a complaint by phone or email, or in writing.

What you can expect from us

We aim to provide a high standard of customer service in all our dealings with customers. You can expect:

• staff to be polite, helpful and professional

• passports to be issued in line with our published standards

• details on your passport to be correct and your supporting documents to be returned promptly

• registration certificates to be issued in line with our published standards from the General Register Office (GRO)

• special provisions and services for people with disabilities

• clear and helpful explanations from our staff if you are denied a British passport because of citizenship or on other grounds

Passports

If you have a complaint about how we handled your passport application, please contact us.

By phone

On 0300 222 0000. The line is open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 5.30pm on weekends and public holidays.

During office hours we will put you through to our customer service team. Outside office hours we will ask you to explain the complaint. We will then arrange for a member of our customer service team to phone you.

By email

You can do this using the passport enquiries form.

When we get your complaint we will:

• let you know we have received it (if it was a letter, fax or email)

• investigate it

• let you know what went wrong and what we are doing to put things right

We will write to you within 2 weeks, either with a full reply or to let you know what is happening if we have not finished our investigation.

In writing

Please send your letter or fax to our central customer service team as follows:

Customer service manager

Customer contact centre

PO Box 175

Newport

Gwent

NP20 2DW

Fax: 01633 473899

When you write please give us:

• full details of the problem

• the name and date of birth of the person the passport was for

• the date the application form was sent to us

• the regional passport office the application form was sent to

• the barcode number from the application form, if you have a note of it

• the passport number, if you have one

• information so we can contact you (name, address, postcode, day and evening phone numbers, and a fax number and email address if you have these)

• the date and time of your appointment and an appointment reference number, if you visited a passport office to get your passport

Further action

If you have followed step 1 and are not satisfied with our response, or if you have a more general complaint (for example, about a policy matter) that is not related to your specific application, please write to, fax or email:

Parliamentary and Diplomatic Enquiries Team (PDET)

Communication and Corporate Development Directorate

Her Majesty's Passport Office

4th Floor SE, Peel Building

2 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DF

Email: [email protected]

If you have followed steps 1 and 2 and are still not satisfied, you may ask your MP to raise the matter with our Chief Executive or the Home Office minister responsible for us.

If you are still not satisfied, you can ask your MP to request an investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman). You can only do this through your MP.

The Ombudsman’s role is to investigate complaints by members of the public about the way government departments and their executive agencies have treated them.

Compensation

We realise that sometimes our mistakes may cause you expense or financial loss. In these cases, you should write us a letter and include any documents that prove your claim (for example, a receipt to show a cancelled flight).

We only normally offer compensation for financial loss as a result of delays in our guaranteed (Fast Track and Premium) services.

General Register Office

If you have an enquiry or complaint, please contact us.

By email or through our online complaints form

If your enquiry or complaint relates to a certificate which you have ordered from GRO, you can use our certificate service order enquiries form to send us a message.

When you submit this form, it will generate an email to us with the details you have supplied. If your complaint relates to any other aspect of GRO’s work apart from certificates, please email the details of your complaint to [email protected].

Please note that GRO does not deal with passports. For passport complaints, please see the information above.

By phone

+44 (0)300 123 1837

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm

Saturday: 9am to 4pm

Our contact centre staff will do their utmost to put things right. If we cannot give you an immediate answer, we will agree a convenient time to call you back, as we may need to arrange for someone with more detailed knowledge to speak to you.

In writing

Customer service manager

Room E101

General Register Office

HM Passport Office

Trafalgar Road

Southport

PR8 2HH

Please provide:

• full details of the problem

• a reference number you have already have from us if this is an ongoing case or a certificate order (this is usually found in the top right hand corner of any letter we have sent you or provided at the time of ordering a certificate)

• contact details (name, address, postcode, day and evening phone numbers, and an email address or fax number if you have these)

When we get your complaint we will:
  • let you know we have received it (if it was a letter or email)

• investigate it

• respond to you within two weeks, either with a full reply or to let you know what is happening if we have not finished our investigation

Please remember that while we always aim to provide the best possible service, we have to work within the provisions set out in the legislation covering the work of our office.

Sometimes it may be that we simply cannot meet your wishes because the relevant piece of legislation does not allow it. In those circumstances, we shall always aim to explain to you why we feel unable to act further.

Further action

If you have written to or phoned us and are not satisfied with our response, please write to, or email:

Communications manager, Room 205

General Register Office

HM Passport Office

Trafalgar Road

Southport

PR8 2HH

Email: [email protected]

If after writing to the communciations manager, you are still dissatisfied, you may ask your member of Parliament (MP) to raise the matter with the Registrar General or the Home Office minister responsible for the GRO.

If you are still not satisfied, you can ask your MP to request an investigation by the parliamentary commissioner for administration (the Ombudsman).

The Ombudsman’s role is to investigate complaints by members of the public about the way government departments and their executive agencies have treated them. You can only request an investigation through your MP.

Compensation

We realise that sometimes our mistakes may cause you expense or financial loss. In these cases, you should follow the instructions in step 1 and write us a letter. With the letter you should send any documents that prove your claim. We only normally offer compensation for financial loss as a result of delays in our guaranteed services, for example, priority certificate orders or certificates ordered by special delivery, where these have not been despatched on the due date.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

After replying to the last reply I was given by HMPO, they are passing my request back to the Newport office (request being allowed to apply and receive my daughters passport application from Malaysia {this may now change as I am being offered a job back in Singapore in September})

I'm not holding onto much hope really as Newport have "swept it under the carpet" already.

Will see what comes back from them.

From today's Guardian:

Fraud staff have been diverted to help clear a mounting backlog of passport applications as the crisis-hit Passport Office struggles to issue vital travel documents before the summer holiday season.

Looks like it's not only expats affected by the shambolic system.

Full article: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/06/uk-passport-office-fraud-staff-diverted-applications-backlog

• Like 1

From today's Guardian:

Fraud staff have been diverted to help clear a mounting backlog of passport applications as the crisis-hit Passport Office struggles to issue vital travel documents before the summer holiday season.

Full article: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/06/uk-passport-office-fraud-staff-diverted-applications-backlog

So we should stop bashing the Thai staff at VFS at Trendy as they are only the messenger so to speak. A friend of mine is a long-time resident in Malaysia, 38 years married to a local with two grown kids. He has just had to do a passport shuffle to Singapore as he applied for a new UK passport about 3 months ago and the non-delivery has imperiled his Malaysian residency and work permit.

I mentioned a few pages back that there must be something seriously wrong back in the UK and this article indicates another failed policy of a failed coalition. Acknowledging it as such doesn't help those greatly inconvenienced by the implosion at the UKPA but I reckon it should encourage more to make their complaints through the proper channels and stop carping about the VFS staff.

Edited by NanLaew

From today's Guardian:

So we should stop bashing the Thai staff at VFS at Trendy as they are only the messenger so to speak. I mentioned a few pages back that there must be something seriously wrong back in the UK and this article indicates another failed policy of a failed coalition. Acknowledging it as such doesn't help those greatly inconvenienced by the implosion at the UKPA but I reckon it should encourage more to make their complaints through the proper channels.

The only communication channels available for complaint are the HMPO UK Help Line plus various HMPO email addresses.

Most that follow this thread closely will be aware that Trendy do not have/ a BKK telephone hotline, plus do not answer complaint emails, other than to direct the sender to the HMPO UK channels.

You would have more success complaining to the plants in your garden than you would in complaining to Trendy.

• Like 1

From today's Guardian:

So we should stop bashing the Thai staff at VFS at Trendy as they are only the messenger so to speak. I mentioned a few pages back that there must be something seriously wrong back in the UK and this article indicates another failed policy of a failed coalition. Acknowledging it as such doesn't help those greatly inconvenienced by the implosion at the UKPA but I reckon it should encourage more to make their complaints through the proper channels.

I'm not sure if anyone has bashed the Thai staff at VFS. I personally blame the organ grinders. My only criticism of the Trendy staff was their ability to read, write and speak english, but that again is down to the management not recruiting suitable personnel. Not sure about a failing coalition. I'm just glad the UK had more than a decade of a failed labour government, otherwise I might still be working for a living instead of enjoying myself here in wonderful Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just to change the subject slightly, is there any kind of consensus emerging about what to do if your passport is late and you are running into overstay?

I mean, are the only options using your cancelled passport illegally to get more time or getting emergency travel documents and heading back to the UK?

Any practical info would be very welcome.

The root of the problem is the Conservative obsessions with privatisation and outsourcing - something that really came to the fore with Thatcher (may she rot in peace).

The big outsourcing companies, G4S, Crapita, Serco, Atos are all utterly hopeless. I can't think of a single service that the government has outsourced to them where they have performed at a level above "utterly pathetic". And the Conservatives are unwilling to concede that the outsourcing policy is a failure and change tack. Dogma blinds them to the reality of the multiple messes they have made.

The management of these companies doesn't care about quality of service; it just wants to maximise profits, which means employing the cheapest (ergo least qualified) staff and providing the cheapest, shoddiest of services and to hell with the customer.

Outsourcing to VFS very much falls into the same boat.

• Like 2