Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Utter shambles. This is what I've just found on the gov website.

''You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.''

Can't believe I was told it would be 'fine' to travel on it. I could've been stranded at BKK airport or in transit elsewhere (with the flight money down the pan). Absolute chimps on those phone lines. Helpline? You're having a laugh.

A word on ETDs. Not all nations accept them (even for changing planes). Some nations need a transit visa of sorts put into it if you're changing planes.Russia and india require visas before travel I believe (even for transit). I wondered why Aeroflot were so cheap! Also, does anyone know if I could fly with Malaysian (yup, I'm brave/cheap) on an ETD? They take them, but the rules aren't clear on transiting through (BKK to KL and KL to LHR about an hour later).

For those waiting...why not walk home and get a new one? If Blighty is about 5,000 miles away and if I walk at 4mph it would take me about 8 weeks to get home. The average is around 8 weeks so it would be just as quick to walk home and get a new one. Incredible.

Think your arithmetic is a bit off, I make it 10 years not 10 weeks, assuming you walk each day for just 8 hours.

So you are an order of magnitude out, but to be honest my wait did feel more like 9 years rather than nine weeks.

• Like 1

Utter shambles. This is what I've just found on the gov website.

''You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.''

Can't believe I was told it would be 'fine' to travel on it. I could've been stranded at BKK airport or in transit elsewhere (with the flight money down the pan). Absolute chimps on those phone lines. Helpline? You're having a laugh.

A word on ETDs. Not all nations accept them (even for changing planes). Some nations need a transit visa of sorts put into it if you're changing planes.Russia and india require visas before travel I believe (even for transit). I wondered why Aeroflot were so cheap! Also, does anyone know if I could fly with Malaysian (yup, I'm brave/cheap) on an ETD? They take them, but the rules aren't clear on transiting through (BKK to KL and KL to LHR about an hour later).

For those waiting...why not walk home and get a new one? If Blighty is about 5,000 miles away and if I walk at 4mph it would take me about 8 weeks to get home. The average is around 8 weeks so it would be just as quick to walk home and get a new one. Incredible.

The HMPO Hotline is run by a private company called Teleperformance and it is certainly the case that most of the operators know less about an overseas passport renewal than you or I.

After all the stupid 'security checks' that merely serve to run up your phone bill, all then can tell you is:

1) What is already on the HMPO website.

2) If you have been debited = existing passport is now cancelled - normally 3-4 days after application to trendy.

3) If your passport is 'In examination' = received and sitting in an orange box somewhere in Liverpool.

4) If you passport has been 'issued' = depending on day of issue, up to 10-14 days before you can collect from trendy.

5) That they 'don't know' and that some one from Liverpool will contact you within 72 hours (normally you then hear nothing).

Yes it's an utter shambles and "Sir" Paul 'no problem here' Pugh who is in charge of this fiasco and should be fired immediately with no golden parachute, just a P45.

More likely to get a posting as Ambassador to Thailand, knowing our luck, for what might be left of the UK, depending on what the sweaty's vote for. Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

They should put Paul Pugh in charge of benefits for UK (economic/health) immigrants. Maybe they would get so hacked off they might just leg it back to where they came from. Just a thought???

Or alternatively in charge of the chimpanzee section at London Zoo. He could certainly do with learning a thing or 2 from those creatures, I think!

On a separate point I am now seriously tempted to wonder whether the forever lengthening processing periods in recent times are, in fact, down to HMPO giving the very highest of tip-top priorities to issuing new passports to applicants intending to travel to Syria or Iraq...ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

• Like 1

The power of the internet will help your case.

If you go to

http://hasmypassportarrived.com

You will see that Laura Ma got her passport in 12 days from posting from Hong Kong on the 13th to getting it delivered on the 25. She did start on the 1st but as she didn't have all the documents until the 13th that time doesn't really count.

It was received in Liverpool on the 15th and printed on the 20th.

This shows that if you publicise your problems to the wider internet HMPO will extract their fingers and can speed things up.

Lots of lettere to the BBC and British news papers can only help.

Also don't let Trendy mess you about. From printing to being at Trendy should be at most 5 days, and that is if there is a weekend in that time, they may provide misinformation (or none at all) but it will be there. As it is your passport don't accept any more delay, they are only messenger boys, or girls, after all.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

is an etd ok to use on etihad via abu dahbi and dublin?

Looks like you plan works with an ETD - do double check with the British Embassy in BKK when you make an appointment to apply.

UK Emergency Travel Documents are not valid for entry into the United Arab Emirates. However, ETDs are accepted for airside transit and exit from the United Arab Emirates.

Officially, citizens of the UK do not need a passport to enter Ireland, with the exception of any requirements stipulated by the individual ferry services and air carriers the traveller has secured passage on.

Edited by digitalchromakey

well its now exactly 14 weeks since i last saw my old passport when i waved it a fond farewell as it went on its holiday to Liverpool. I really miss it as it went everywhere with me,even now i wonder where it is. It has not even sent me a post card or let me know if it is missing me, I do hope his new brother will visit me here in thailand very soon as i want to leave here and go to Laos but the little people in the Immigration at nong khai said without your new baby brother i can't go any where.

• Like 1

well its now exactly 14 weeks since i last saw my old passport when i waved it a fond farewell as it went on its holiday to Liverpool. I really miss it as it went everywhere with me,even now i wonder where it is. It has not even sent me a post card or let me know if it is missing me, I do hope his new brother will visit me here in thailand very soon as i want to leave here and go to Laos but the little people in the Immigration at nong khai said without your new baby brother i can't go any where.

Phone the Consular Section at the British Embassy in BKK and make sure you actually speak to someone, not just leave a message - they can surely use their 'special channel' to fix your specific problem.

14 weeks delay is even beyond an appalling level of service - it is an Unacceptably Bad Joke spelt with a capital 'U', a capital 'B' and a capital 'J'.

i have spoken to Nok at the British Embassy and have been told that apart from sending an email to LONDON HMPO they can not get involved as it is not their policy LOAD OF <deleted> This evening i sent an e mail to PM D Cameron's office and the wording was very anglo saxon

i have spoken to Nok at the British Embassy and have been told that apart from sending an email to LONDON HMPO they can not get involved as it is not their policy LOAD OF <deleted> This evening i sent an e mail to PM D Cameron's office and the wording was very anglo saxon

Does Nok work in the BKK Consular Section and when did you speak to her?

I also recollect that when your phone, they then (rather strangely) also ask you to summarise your application issue/details in an email to the generic consular enquiries email address.

The British Embassy never directly claim to be able to help with passport application delays, but 2 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DF is the HMPO headquarters, based inside the Home Office, so an email there would certainly be most helpful.

Many who contacted the British Embassy with a genuine problem (like imminent overstay), have reported then suddenly getting a miraculous email a few days later informing them that that their passport has gone to the printers.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I think not.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm, do I need to attend in person to collect my passport ? Or like the submission be done by some one else.

Im looking at the gov.uk site now and i don't think its possible.

If so what is needed ?

Existing passport as photo ID - see https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

I trust that you actually bid colour copies of each page in your old passport a tearful farewell rather than the original passport itself!

Can anyone confirm, do I need to attend in person to collect my passport ? Or like the submission be done by some one else.

If so what is needed ?

Existing passport as photo ID - see https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

When I applied at trendy back in May, they informed me that a third party could collect on my behalf, but this has never been confirmed by HMPO and now trendy insist on physically cutting the corners off your old passport when you collect, so that they want for sure.

Yet another grey area in this endless fiasco.

If so what is needed ?

Getting your passport

When I applied at trendy back in May, they informed me that a third party could collect on my behalf, but this has never been confirmed by HMPO and now trendy insist on physically cutting the corners off your old passport when you collect, so that they want for sure.

Yet another grey area in this endless fiasco.

Once again the HMPO don't know their rectum from their elbow.

I have read on this thread that Trendy have told applicants that they can nominate someone to collect their passport if you send your old passport plus a letter of consent.But as OJAS post quotes from the HMPO website that you need to apply in person.

When you have staff who are afraid of making a common sense decision,because of the bungling incompetence of the likes of Mr Paul Phew who would have no problem getting the starring role in the BBC series "Yes Minister"and no doubt gets himself muddled thinking Thailand is the same size as Taiwan.

A facebook friend is now royally screwed. 12 weeks into application, had 2 etd's issued, works as a teacher. Running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get info about her passport finally has been told further information is required as her supplied address details are unacceptable. She is desparate and will be going to Immigration to 'fess up. Any suggestions guys?

A facebook friend is now royally screwed. 12 weeks into application, had 2 etd's issued, works as a teacher. Running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get info about her passport finally has been told further information is required as her supplied address details are unacceptable. She is desparate and will be going to Immigration to 'fess up. Any suggestions guys?

The same info was requested of my friends daughter after about 12 weeks of no contact they told her they wanted further proof of address, it was only after someone from the HMPO had the common sense to disregard the standard proof of address requirement form and handwrote at the bottom of the form that a simple letter from her school saying this was the school she attended and her address with the school is so and so that they accepted that this was proof of address.

Mind you it did take another 6 weeks before she finally received her passport after it gathered dust at the Trendy for nearly 1 month before they bothered to contact her it had arrived.

If your friend wants sight of the simple school letter they accepted off my friend daughter you can PM me with a email address

I thought as much. She has already approached the school for the letter. I'm just not sure what her IO will say. Thanks anyway Soap.

Just got a call from a Maxine, sounded like a scouser on a withheld number. She was very apologetic but could not even give me an approx date when my passport will be issued and sent back to Bangkok. Next week will be 15 weeks, maybe I get the record then if it does not arrive by mid-september. Also i will be screwed as my 90 day visa runs out on 15th September, can't even use it to leave Thailand as it is full. The term arse and elbow comes to mind.

just got a call from a Maxine,sounded like a scouser on a withheld number. She was very apologetic but could not even give me an approx date when my passport will be issued and sent back to Bangkok. Next week will be 15 weeks,maybe i get the record then if it does not arrive by mid-september. Also i will be screwed as my 90 day visa runs out on 15th September,can't even use it to leave Thailand as it is full. The term arse and elbow comes to mind.

Did the HMPO employee manage to explain what the issue causing the delay was in your case?

btw, re my post #2469: When did you speak with the British Embassy Consular Section in BKK and did you send the email they would have asked for?

You obviously feel that they weren't any help, but most applicants over the last month or so with imminent or actual overstays who had contacted the Embassy then reported that they found their passports were sent to the printers just a few days after the 'special email' was sent.

Maybe everyone is just getting lazy again now that the passport issue is moving out of the public's gaze as the European summer fades..

• Like 1

A quick word on ETDs. I called the British Embassy for an appointment. I'm off to Blighty after getting a last minute clearing place at uni. You can only get an appointment for an ETD 5 days or less before your flight. Makes sense. However, I was told that after getting the ETD, I would need an exit visa from Thailand (?) Never heard of that one before. I still have my 'old' passport. It's probably been cancelled, but I can't check as my application is 'only' 15 days old. The payment has been taken though (funny that they do that part pretty quickly).

Another thing about ETDs. Make sure that your chosen transit location (if any) accepts them. Most do. However, make sure it's 'airside transit' and not 'landside transit'. i had to look that one up, but airside transit is when you don't pass through immigration or have access to the check in areas etc. You cannot leave the transit airport on an ETD. Also, I got some info wrong on Russia regarding ETDs. You can use an ETD without a Russian transit visa IF the transit is 'airside' and IF the stop over is under 12 hours.India too, accepts 'airside' transits. Not sure how long you can 'wait' for the next plane though.

So, make sure you check with the travel agent and/or airline that the transit is 'airside' and under 12 hours (perhaps even less for some nations) or it could be a world of pain for you. A call to the relevant Embassy may be a good idea too for transit advice. Mind you, I 've called one earlier and they couldn't really tell me. They 'think' it will be fine as long as I don't leave the airport and it's an airside transit (KL Malaysia).

Not sure if this has been mentioned ..

I applied for my daughter's passport in April before the new regulations and fee reduction , which included return of the passport to my home address in Samui ..

I have just been informed that the passport is ready for collection in Bangkok .

I suggested that they should at least refund the difference in fees charged to compensate but no ….

Same has been reported by others - new passport applied for prior to 26th march, returned to Trendy BKK, no refund.

New passport application system started in Thailand on 26th March, so if you sent yours to the UK in April, you were really lucky not to get bounced.

I have just been informed that I will receive a refund smile.png

'Thank you for your e-mail regarding your daughter's passport application.

As you will be aware, we have been experiencing unprecedented levels of passport demand and I apologise that it has taken us longer that usual to address your complaint.

I have now reviewed your daughter's application and can confirm that we received the application onto our system on 24/03/2014. The changes in Thailand took effect from 25/03/2014 and therefore our examiner followed the correct procedures in place by the time your daughter's application was received into an examining section. It is unfortunate that your application was submitted at the same time that our arrangement with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office was drawing to a close and I apologise that this does not appear to have been made clear to applicants at that time.

It is Her Majesty's Passport Office (HM Passport Office) policy to reimburse out of pocket expenses incurred by customers as a direct consequence of operational errors or omissions by its staff by means of an ex-gratia payment without accepting any legal liability. As the fees for applying for a UK passport were reduced on 7 April 2014 from £128.00 to £83.00 (a reduction of £45.00), I have authorised a refund for this amount which will be sent to you separately.

Please accept our apology that HM Passport Office did not achieve its usual service standards on this occasion, we do genuinely aim to provide a high standard of service to customers. This has been a challenging few months for HM Passport Office, trying to meet the exceptional demand we faced and I am genuinely sorry that your experience was not typical of that normally enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers. We will be carrying out a review of our procedures in the near future and any lessons that we can learn from this review will be implemented to improve our service to our customers.'

• Like 1

The renewal of my UK passport luckily coincided with a visit home. I applied by post on 18/08/14 and today the 30th recieved my new passport. So there does not seem to be any more backlog. Hopefully for all those applying from overseas things should now start to get better. I really hope so as later this year i must apply for my 3 childrens passports from thailand.

cant see why it will be any better, they will just get rid of the xtra staff they took on. Methinks 6-8 weeks will become the norm. Awaiting details of anybody that's here on visas and had the misfortune to lose their passport near the end of their permission of stay. Have they just gone on overstay for x weeks or flown back to blighty on an ETD?

Edited by parryhandy

The renewal of my UK passport luckily coincided with a visit home. I applied by post on 18/08/14 and today the 30th recieved my new passport. So there does not seem to be any more backlog. Hopefully for all those applying from overseas things should now start to get better. I really hope so as later this year i must apply for my 3 childrens passports from thailand.

I presume that home for you is the UK and that your replacement passport was sent to your UK address, not Thailand.

There is no tangible evidence yet of any improvement to the ghastly service level currently being offered to overseas resident British Citizens.

If as soap predicts the 'norm' from now on turns out to be no better than 6-9 weeks from application to collection for a 'no issue' overseas UK passport renewal, then the service would remain as the bad joke it has now become.

• Like 1