Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I renewed my passport --received last week--with address confirmation by one letter from a UK based on-line bookmaker and

a credit card reminder note ---again from the UK--. Submitted the originals and there was no problem.

Out of curiosity how long did it take after submitting your application to receive your new passport?

From the initial application--made by someone on my behalf--to collection,again by helper, the time was just over 9 weeks.

Delay occured because my photos were rejected--bit of a smirk and specs reflection. Got email from UK about the problem and mailed them new ones--was pleasantly suprised to recieve a "Thank you" email back when I advised them that the new pics were on the way.

From the initial application--made by someone on my behalf--to collection,again by helper, the time was just over 9 weeks.

Delay occured because my photos were rejected--bit of a smirk and specs reflection. Got email from UK about the problem and mailed them new ones--was pleasantly suprised to recieve a "Thank you" email back when I advised them that the new pics were on the way.

So only 9 weeks despite the photo hassles, then. I have to concede that HMPO do seem to be finally getting their act together performance-wise if other similar recent reports on here are indicative of a positive trend in this regard.

Now if only they could do something about the need for 2 trips to Bangkok from every far-flung corner of LOS at passport renewal time....

• Like 1

So only 9 weeks despite the photo hassles, then. I have to concede that HMPO do seem to be finally getting their act together performance-wise if other similar recent reports on here are indicative of a positive trend in this regard.

Now if only they could do something about the need for 2 trips to Bangkok from every far-flung corner of LOS at passport renewal time....

Yes, matters are improving due to the fact that the Home Office has taken control of HMPO.

It might also be possible that the Home Office will make expats passport application procedures via the F.C.O. as was the case in the past.

When expats make the appointment via email to the Trendy Office to provide the requested "3" different application dates, how soon can the email be sent to Trendy in order to get the "1" confirmation date from them ... can it be done 10 -12 or 14 weeks prior to the outlined "3" application dates.

If anyone knows this ... please advice.

Yes, matters are improving due to the fact that the Home Office has taken control of HMPO.

It might also be possible that the Home Office will make expats passport application procedures via the F.C.O. as was the case in the past.

When expats make the appointment via email to the Trendy Office to provide the requested "3" different application dates, how soon can the email be sent to Trendy in order to get the "1" confirmation date from them ... can it be done 10 -12 or 14 weeks prior to the outlined "3" application dates.

Some one recently tried to book an appointment next July and was told that trendy's booking system doesn't go out that far (>30 weeks), but no actual limitation was provided.

The poster in question was going to 'try' some earlier dates (starting back from May 2015) so as to not imperil the required appointment in July (flights already booked) whilst attempting to find out the forward booking limit

The only reason things 'are improving' lately is because less people are applying for passport renewals.

It doesn't matter who's in charge, the volume of renewals is going to be at its lowest point of the year about now.

I have full confidence that everything will go badly wrong starting about March 2015. Lets see what happens in about 5 months time.

• Like 2

Let's not get carried away by the fact that things have sped up a bit. Remember the thread is about the changes and all the crap we have to go through to renew a travel/identity document. The only real obstacle in that process should be proving we are who we say we are, so a Thai based HMPO ran agency or a Skype based interview back to the UK that can verify that should be all that is required...period! Why do we make things so hard and expensive for ourselves? Online banking is safe, secure and efficient. If private companies can get it right, why can't the government?

• Like 2

Let's not get carried away by the fact that things have sped up a bit. Remember the thread is about the changes and all the crap we have to go through to renew a travel/identity document. The only real obstacle in that process should be proving we are who we say we are, so a Thai based HMPO ran agency or a Skype based interview back to the UK that can verify that should be all that is required...period! Why do we make things so hard and expensive for ourselves? Online banking is safe, secure and efficient. If private companies can get it right, why can't the government?

And what bugs me in particular about the current renewal process, in addition to the 2 trips to Bangkok required plus the need for specific address proof, is that those of us applying from Thailand at any rate are no longer able to complete an application form online but, instead, are expected to dip our quill into a pot of ink and complete the form in manuscript. The Hong Kong Consulate devised a very convenient and user-friendly online form for this purpose in the era when renewal applications were sent to them. So much for the UK Government's policy of promoting e-comms!cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Some one recently tried to book an appointment next July and was told that trendy's booking system doesn't go out that far (>30 weeks), but no actual limitation was provided.

The poster in question was going to 'try' some earlier dates (starting back from May 2015) so as to not imperil the required appointment in July (flights already booked) whilst attempting to find out the forward booking limit

How soon can one apply for a visit date to Trendy, could it be about 2 months prior to the outlined "3" visit dates sent out to them via email.

Fellows that have completed the Trendy booking procedure, please let us know the sending time factor, thus to be able to sent the application form at the correct time in order to avoid a time rejection from the Trendy office as some fellows have received and thus have to wait several months to start again.

So much for the UK Government's policy of promoting e-comms!cheesy.gif

But then it's also not possible as an expat to submit a tax return via the HMRC website (the non-resident pages aren't available). It's just another example of how little successive governments have cared for expats.

• Like 1

How soon can one apply for a visit date to Trendy, could it be about 2 months prior to the outlined "3" visit dates sent out to them via email.

Fellows that have completed the Trendy booking procedure, please let us know the sending time factor, thus to be able to sent the application form at the correct time in order to avoid a time rejection from the Trendy office as some fellows have received and thus have to wait several months to start again.

Currently trendy are accepting requests for appointment dates at around 1-2 weeks in the future.

Not precisely sure what you are referring to in your second paragraph, but if you reject the offered appointment (due to it not exactly matching your list of 3 dates/times) then you should not be given an 8 week time out (this is the trendy penalty for missed appointments).

Currently trendy are accepting requests for appointment dates at around 1-2 weeks in the future.

Not precisely sure what you are referring to in your second paragraph, but if you reject the offered appointment (due to it not exactly matching your list of 3 dates/times) then you should not be given an 8 week time out (this is the trendy penalty for missed appointments).

We need to sent via email 3 appointment dates, and we can now start the email application 9 months before the ending of the existing passport.

The email 3 visit dates could perhaps now be sent in the first month of the acceptable 9 months in order to ensure that the new passport arrives not too late.

The Trendy office is busy about applications procedures and may not be able to accept the outlined 3 visits dates and send in reply a different appointment date.

Personally, I would not reject their outlined appointment date, and many other applicants will not object either, because everyone is interested to get their passport application sorted quickly, hence accepting Trendy's different appointment date.

Nevertheless, some fellows due to personal matters might not be able to accept the received new application date, therefore they must respond within 3 days in order to ask them for a new date otherwise the application will be cancelled and will reject it for 2 months

The question is .... will Trendy accept those email 2 months prior to the proposed visiting dates, or is it just 1 to 2 weeks before the proposed dates.

Does anybody know the system about it ...

Edited by personchester

A bit of an off-topic question (I'm not even britsh!) but if I get a new passport from my embassy, do I have to transfer my visa on the new one or can I just fly back home with the old and the new - stamp free - passport in the pocket?

Visas are not transferred and you have use the both passports on entry to the country.

Not sure what you are asking about.

If you mean your entry stamp you can just leave and show your old passport on departure.

Perhaps one reason for the passport service being so slow is the massive increase in new passports handed out in the last year.

The Daily Express carries a story today stating that a record amount of new passports were issued last year.

The 193,900 passports handed out by Britain accounted for 24 per cent of all EU citizenships and included 10,500 that went to existing Europeans.

It is 10 per cent up on a year earlier and 60 per cent more than the 120,000 ­citizens created in 2002.

The 2012 figure is equal to three migrants becoming British for every 1,000 inhabitants. Germany, about 50 per cent larger than the UK, handed out 1.4 passports for every 1,000 residents. France created just 1.5 new citizens for every 1,000 existing ones despite being nearly three times the size of Britain. Tiny Luxembourg was top at 8.7.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/537062/Quarter-new-europeans-based-in-UK

With very few new homes being built,certainly not enough to cover all the new arrivals,where are these people expected to live?

Then of course there is the impact on schools,hospitals etc.

Thai's don't make the top five.

The new Britons were mainly Indians, nearly 15 per cent of the foreign contingent, followed by Pakistanis at just under 10 per cent, Nigerians at 5 per cent and Filipinos at 4 per cent.

So perhaps the demand for that quantity of passports explains the delay.

Question if anyone can answer? why when you pick up your new passport at the trendy building does it not come with the letter sometimes required by Thai immigration, why do we then have to go too or write to the British Embassy to get the letter? any thoughts on this

Fab5 BKK---

Thanks for your good wishes,but--

Yes, but you are missing all the fun--all the worrying all the anticipation,all the expense,the excitement of printing every page of your passport in glorious colour, .The thrill of getting advice from all sorts of members and wondering who is right.The fix you can get of trying to get to an appointment in Bangkok,on time,knowing if you miss the deadline you could be waiting months. What a buzz when they ring you and say come and get it!!!

We British know how to handle life.

• Like 1

Question if anyone can answer? why when you pick up your new passport at the trendy building does it not come with the letter sometimes required by Thai immigration, why do we then have to go too or write to the British Embassy to get the letter? any thoughts on this

Your new passport doesn't come with the pro forma, many countries do provide this service, but not the UK.

Why? As always, it's undoubtedly to save money.

HMPO have all the information (old passport new passport and visa details) to produce the pro forma, the only problem is that they would have to figure out which country you were in (not difficult!) and what permission/visa status you have (this could easily be supplied on a form by the applicant).

Digital--

I e mailed Trendy asking about someone submitting the application on my behalf--stating that I wiuld be needing to get a new

passport in the next months. They responded promptly--and gave an appointment date---which I had not asked for.

The service is for appointments--if you have a question then why not ask .

Fab5 BKK---

Thanks for your good wishes,but--

Yes, but you are missing all the fun--all the worrying all the anticipation,all the expense,the excitement of printing every page of your passport in glorious colour, .The thrill of getting advice from all sorts of members and wondering who is right.The fix you can get of trying to get to an appointment in Bangkok,on time,knowing if you miss the deadline you could be waiting months. What a buzz when they ring you and say come and get it!!!

We British know how to handle life.

So true!

:-)

Edited by Fab5BKK

Your new passport doesn't come with the pro forma, many countries do provide this service, but not the UK.

HMPO have all the information (old passport new passport and visa details) to produce the pro forma, the only problem is that they would have to figure out which country you were in (not difficult!) and what permission/visa status you have (this could easily be supplied on a form by the applicant).

HMPO does not provide a pro forma about the new passport in order to help applicants to get matters sorted at immigration offices.

Therefore, when collecting the new passport from Trendy perhaps we could and should ask them to confirm the correctness of the new UK passport via a letter signed and stamped by Trendy and that would be alright then.

Edited by personchester

HMPO does not provide a pro forma about the new passport in order to help applicants to get matters sorted at immigration offices.

Therefore, when collecting the new passport from Trendy perhaps we could and should ask them to confirm the correctness of the new UK passport via a letter signed and stamped by Trendy and that would be alright then.

I doubt that immigration would accept such a letter from a third party service provider.

They would no doubt require the higher authority of an embassy.

My friend and I need to renew our passports and have appointments in Bangkok next week.
We need to provide Name and address and/or residency evidence from the list below.
Has anyone done this recently? I have no documentary evidence that I live where I do... ALL mail is in my wife's name.
I do have my visa and extension in my passport... should this be enough?
What can I do about my residency evidence?
I do have a yellow book, but that is in Thai....
I've attached the doc that can be downloaded too
Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• baptismal or naming certificate
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• parents’ death certificates if applicable
• immigration documents
Thanks
David
Edited by theoldgit
Moved to Passport thread

I emailed Trendy on 12th November requesting an appointment for 3 dates in January 2015, i received a reply within 48 hours stating that my appointment was for the 6th Jan, @ 12.35 which was my first requested date.So,it seems an appointment can be made about 8 weeks in advance.

My friend and I need to renew our passports and have appointments in Bangkok next week.
We need to provide Name and address and/or residency evidence from the list below.
Has anyone done this recently? I have no documentary evidence that I live where I do... ALL mail is in my wife's name.
I do have my visa and extension in my passport... should this be enough?
What can I do about my residency evidence?
I do have a yellow book, but that is in Thai....
I've attached the doc that can be downloaded too
Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• baptismal or naming certificate
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• parents’ death certificates if applicable
• immigration documents
Thanks
David

Translation of your yellow book should be fine - see quote below for procedure.

Below is also an other HMPO definition for the required evidence of name and address.

You must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original

I opened this thread earlier today, hope it is helpful to someone..

Thought I would relay my personal experience in renewing my passport at the above office

to help anyone who may be concerned about doing the same thing.

I initially went on line and downloaded the application form, credit card payment form, and

the help notes for completing the forms.

I printed out the application form and credit card payment form and duly completed same.

I sent the required e-mail to request an appointment to submit my application including

three preferred dates for them to hopefully give me one of my preferred dates.

I received an acknowledgement of my e-mail immediately and the next day, I think, I was

sent another e-mail offering me my third choice which was on the 4th of Nov AM.

The HMPO is on the 28th floor of the Trendy building on Sukumvit soi 13 and on the left coming from

Sukumvit, is not well marked but I would assess it is not more than 100 metres from Sukumvit and

it has about three entrances, all of which you can use and still easily find your destination.

In the lobby where the lifts are you will find a small stand alone desk, facing and near the entrance

door, occupied by three enthusiastic very helpful young girls. You show them your appointment letter

and they will stamp it and point you in the right direction.

On reaching the 28th floor you are faced with another reception desk where they will quickly check your

apointment letter and issue you with a queue number. You then pass through a security scanner and in

my case straight through to the application interview room, as there was no one waiting in front of me.

I was sitting opposite a very nice young lady whose english was very good and she ran through my

documents fairly quickly and efficiently, asked me one or two things to clarify a few points and that was

the application completed. I asked her how long the renewal might take and she told me fron 6 to 12 weeks.

I left the Trendy building about 20 minutes before my actual appointment time, so a fairly painless exercise

all round.

On the 17th of Nov I received a phone call from the Bangkok HMPO to inform me that my Passport was

ready for collection, and the next morning an e-mail to confirm the same. So in my case passport renewed

in 2 weeks. Hope anyone applying gets the same treatment. Well done Bangkok HMPO thanks. thumbsup.gif wai.gif

• Like 2