Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

You can get black/white photocopies done on the ground floor, but you can get them done anywhere at .5b a page.

I have no idea about photos on the ground floor, but I think there have been a couple of posts including myself that it's better to have them done well before time just to make sure they make the required proportions / dimensions.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife, who is a Thai National needs to renew her UK Passport in the next few months ... she obviously has dual nationality. Am I correct in assuming that she uses 'Renew a British Passport with no changes'. Her passport was issued when we lived in the UK.

We seem to have a little problem with proof of Name and address and/or residency evidence. She doesn't work, doesn't have a tax number and doesn't seem to have anything from the list. Would a translation of the House Book suffice does anyone know?. Can she use her Thai National ID Card with a translation?

Where should the translations be done? The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chaengwattana? It will need certifying?

Thanks

My wife, who is a Thai National needs to renew her UK Passport in the next few months ... she obviously has dual nationality. Am I correct in assuming that she uses 'Renew a British Passport with no changes'. Her passport was issued when we lived in the UK.

We seem to have a little problem with proof of Name and address and/or residency evidence. She doesn't work, doesn't have a tax number and doesn't seem to have anything from the list. Would a translation of the House Book suffice does anyone know?. Can she use her Thai National ID Card with a translation?

Where should the translations be done? The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chaengwattana? It will need certifying?

Thanks

Household bills in her name with English translation, bank correspondence in her name/address, again with translation will suffice.

House book translation is ok, note regulations state that the document supplied should be less than one year old, so the house book might not cut it.

Your wife's Thai ID card also has her address and would be preferential to the House Book since it also has her Photo ID, plus it is on the supplementary list.

You still have the one year problem though; however the ID is a very convincing proof of name and address with an attached photo..

Here is an alternative list of acceptable documents which was issued by HMPO:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Thanks ... all the household bills are in my name.Maybe I will change one. As I have a Yellow now...suppose all the bills in my name was an overkill.

Also I guess that she could renew her ID Card.

Again thanks for the info..something will get sorted.

It is probably buried in the thread somewhere and probably there is a uk.gov website with the information but I haven't found either yet.

What is the credit card charge for the larger 48-page passport via VFS? The payment form says (application and courier fee) so need to know if £154.50 or is that just the application fee and the courier charge is more?

Thanks,

NL

It is probably buried in the thread somewhere and probably there is a uk.gov website with the information but I haven't found either yet.

What is the credit card charge for the larger 48-page passport via VFS? The payment form says (application and courier fee) so need to know if £154.50 or is that just the application fee and the courier charge is more?

Thanks,

NL

"Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)

Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00 £106.01

Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91.00 £114.01"

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Thanks,

NL

I found a post on another forum that the courier fee is an additional £23.01 so the total for a 48-page renewal at VFS is £177.51 on the credit card charge form.

Correct?

Thanks,

NL

"Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)

Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00 £106.01

Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91.00 £114.01"

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Thanks Joe! Our posts crossed each other! I guess I was quoting the old price before they lopped (about) 45 quid off the fees.

Turned up at Trendy at 10:45 yesterday (for an 11:20 appointment) and I had some papers copied first. I showed the girls at the VFS desk my appointment letter and they checked me off the list. I asked where the best coffee was while I waited but they said I could go straight on up. I checked in at VFS reception and was shown straight into the passport application room. A young chap went through my application and supporting documents, all accepted and I was back out the door 5 minutes before my actual appointment time. I only saw one other Brit doing his passport renewal stuff at the same time as me. It looks like they have maybe 5 booths in the passport interview room.

My son just got a letter (via email) requesting additional documents from the HMPO. It states that I must provide the documents via overseas Local Service post. This means Trendy. Can I just turn up to submit these additional documents or do I need to make another appointment.?

Im not sure what it has to do the embassy with showing a proof of address if you have to pick up your new passport in person. Feel like it would be easier to go back to the UK for a week and do a fast track application. Typical UK red tape.

Edited by bim

My son just got a letter (via email) requesting additional documents from the HMPO. It states that I must provide the documents via overseas Local Service post. This means Trendy. Can I just turn up to submit these additional documents or do I need to make another appointment.?

To me, the term "overseas Local Service post" would suggest that you use Thai Post International EMS service, no? I don't think VFS are a mail forwarding service for HMPO.

To me, the term "overseas Local Service post" would suggest that you use Thai Post International EMS service, no? I don't think VFS are a mail forwarding service for HMPO.

The full wording, including grammatical errors, is " Please note that you must take any additional documentation, along with a copy of this letter to the overseas Local Service post that you originally submitted your (or your child's) application to, so that it can be forwarded to Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK."

Originals of all documents must be presented too, so that would rule out sending everything myself. I will just go this morning and see what happens. Anyway, thanks for responding.

Edited by GarryP

However, if you still have the original, this should be fine given that it is less than a year old - provided, of course, that it is in English (and not Thai).

Thai Residence Certificate is completely in Thai. There are multiple reports being accepted as proof of residence without the need of a translation.

When I applied for the Proof of Residence letter at Jomtien Immigration, I stated 'Overseas UK passport renewal' as the reason on the application form. The officer at the desk conferred with her associate regarding this and they both agreed to something. The Proof of Residence letter I collected 30 minutes later was in English so no need for a separate translation.

The chap accepting my passport renewal application at VFS noted that I was submitting the original Proof of Residence letter and asked if I needed a copy. I clarified this matter and he said that the ORIGINAL Proof of Residence letter is preferred to be submitted with the passport renewal application.

The full wording, including grammatical errors, is " Please note that you must take any additional documentation, along with a copy of this letter to the overseas Local Service post that you originally submitted your (or your child's) application to, so that it can be forwarded to Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK."

Originals of all documents must be presented too, so that would rule out sending everything myself. I will just go this morning and see what happens. Anyway, thanks for responding.

We are both up early! That advice is very specific that you use VFS so I hope you have kept your original appointment letter and the copy of the 'submission receipt' so that you can show that and the email to the reception ladies and get fast-tracked upstairs. The staff at the desk downstairs were very polite the other day and their English was good so I reckon you will not have a problem doing the additional submission if you have all the paperwork with you.

Please post back here with how it pans out as there's absolutely no published procedures for 'additional documents' being submitted after the initial application has been turned in. I would assume they will be sent via DHL at no additional charge.

We are both up early! That advice is very specific that you use VFS so I hope you have kept your original appointment letter and the copy of the 'submission receipt' so that you can show that and the email to the reception ladies and get fast-tracked upstairs. The staff at the desk downstairs were very polite the other day and their English was good so I reckon you will not have a problem doing the additional submission if you have all the paperwork with you.

Please post back here with how it pans out as there's absolutely no published procedures for 'additional documents' being submitted after the initial application has been turned in. I would assume they will be sent via DHL at no additional charge.

I went in this morning and showed reception downstairs the letter from HMPO and they sent me straight up. I showed the letter again at reception and they gave me a number and ushered me straight through. I had all the original documents and had made copies for submission, i.e. my fathers birth certificate, my mothers birth certificate, their marriage certificate, the data page of my passport, the birth certificate of my son issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok and the certificate issued by the General Register Office in London, my marriage certificate as recorded with the GRO in London.

I was just lucky to have most of the documents in hand at home. I assume for most people they would not have many of the documents at hand. In this case, I was renewing my son's passport which had expired 20 years ago. So this time they are rechecking whether he in fact does qualify. That is, I am British by birth and as a result he gets to retain British citizenship. As he was born before 2006, I also needed to submit my marriage certificate.

PS his application was submitted on 3 December 2014 and the demand for additional documenst was received yesterday.

Edited by GarryP

I need to change my passport, i have made an appointment for Jan 26th 2015. My problem is this; i have just changed my name by deed poll and this is why i need to update my passport. I called the passport office in the UK and the lady said i need proof of address. So today i took my deed poll to the bank and they changed my name on my bank book, i then asked if they could write me a letter confirming my address. No they told me, and as it seems Thai banks don't issue statements i have no proof of address at all. Another problem is i only have a debit card with this bank and they tell me it cannot be used in the Uk without me first calling the call centre, so i guess i cannot use it for payment of the passport. Anyone got any ideas of what i could possibly do to get this sorted?

I cannot understand the proof of address they require as you have to pick it up from BKK. Sorry I cant offer a more constructive comment. Your local Ampoe could provide this based on a driving licence so they should for this also. You will need the head of your Moo to countersign it and the blue book of the person who owns the property of where you are living.

I need to change my passport, i have made an appointment for Jan 26th 2015. My problem is this; i have just changed my name by deed poll and this is why i need to update my passport. I called the passport office in the UK and the lady said i need proof of address. So today i took my deed poll to the bank and they changed my name on my bank book, i then asked if they could write me a letter confirming my address. No they told me, and as it seems Thai banks don't issue statements i have no proof of address at all. Another problem is i only have a debit card with this bank and they tell me it cannot be used in the Uk without me first calling the call centre, so i guess i cannot use it for payment of the passport. Anyone got any ideas of what i could possibly do to get this sorted?

I read on another thread that a certified translation of the Thai address on the back side of a Thai Driving License was accepted as proof of address for a successful UK passport renewal.

If you don't have a Thai DL, what is your physical domicile? I mean where do you live and what kind of accommodation is it? I used a copy of a dual-language, Thai-English house rental contract.

Failing that, a trip to the UK and a walk-in renewal may be the only option. You can depart from Thailand and enter the UK on an expired UK passport but then you would have to use your 'old' name for ticketing (matches current passport)... but maybe you don't want Thai Immigration to see that old passport?

I think there will be a few other stumbling blocks for those that arbitrarily chose the deed poll name change route to circumvent Thai Immigration restrictions. Doing the deed poll name change and passport replacement while NOT in the UK must be fraught with all sorts of challenges. I hope it is worth it.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

When it states documents need translated and certified does that mean we need to take them to be certified at the government office after translation or is it certified by the person who translates it?

I'm planning on using the translation service on ground floor of Trendy I've been told about

Agian I would live to know if you have to pick your passport up from BKK what business is it of theres to even need an address? Hope someone knows

As far as HMPO is concerned, proof of your name at an address in the country of application has nothing to do with delivery and everything to do with prevention of Identity Theft/Passport Fraud.

If you cannot prove your name at an address in Thailand for a passport application in Bangkok, then whether its right or wrong, HMPO expect you to return to the UK to make that application.

The days of business travellers and/or back packers casually getting UK passports outside of the UK are now unfortunately long gone in this age with its ever present threat of international terrorism.

thanks ubonjoe.

Am i right in thinking there is a uk passport photo service at trendy? Is it in the application centre or is it downstairs?

There is a photo place in trendy towers on the ground floor, nothing to do with the VFS/HMPO agency, but I recollect that a couple of posters have reported using this service.

Best you print out the HMPO Web guidelines on photos linked to below and take these with you to help ensure success, even better, don't leave it till the last minute.

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

I applied for my sons first passport just before Christmas.

Email to say it was ready for collection on the 2nd.

Around 3 weeks from application to then.

Other than having to fly to Bangkok the whole process was pretty painless.

Edited by Stuck01

I went in this morning and showed reception downstairs the letter from HMPO and they sent me straight up. I showed the letter again at reception and they gave me a number and ushered me straight through. I had all the original documents and had made copies for submission, i.e. my fathers birth certificate, my mothers birth certificate, their marriage certificate, the data page of my passport, the birth certificate of my son issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok and the certificate issued by the General Register Office in London, my marriage certificate as recorded with the GRO in London.

I was just lucky to have most of the documents in hand at home. I assume for most people they would not have many of the documents at hand. In this case, I was renewing my son's passport which had expired 20 years ago. So this time they are rechecking whether he in fact does qualify. That is, I am British by birth and as a result he gets to retain British citizenship. As he was born before 2006, I also needed to submit my marriage certificate.

PS his application was submitted on 3 December 2014 and the demand for additional documenst was received yesterday.

Picked up my son's passport this morning on the way to work. So all in all 5 weeks from application submission to pick up and that included submitting additional documents in the process.