Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Hi All, I am trying to renew my British passport. I have just found out that the agency in Bangkok is on the 28th floor. Being a acrophobia (fear of heights) sufferer there is no way I can get there. Has anybody come across this before or got any suggestions?

Now, with a letter of authorisation, maybe a doctor's letter in support and their own Photo ID, someone can apply with your papers, etc. and also collect on your behalf

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my replacement passport about 4 weeks ago via Trendy and today received an "invitation" email asking me to participate in a research project on behalf of HMgov relating to my experience of the application procedures
Have other members received the same? I have not clicked on the link yet,--slightly nervous.

Thanks for any replies.

Just to be sure .... if the payment is rejected in the UK, what is the procedure for making a new payment? Is it via Trendy office or can you talk directly to UK?

The application form you fill in asks for your phone number in case of a problem.

Wonder why one must supply a print out of EVERY page of ones PP..........whistling.gif

Do "they" have a good look at it the UK end.........

Im guessing it's because we have to keep our old passport and it is used for identification purposes in the UK so copying every page is effectively the same as them receiving the actual passport and verifying everything is above board.

any help / tips / guidance and how to get to Trendy on the BTS ?

also is the translation and photo place on the ground floor ??

thanks

Get off at Nanai BTS walk east about 200m, Soi Sukhumvit 13 is on your left going north.

Yes, translation and photo service shops are available on ground floor, please note that these agencies are not connected to VFS trendy in anyway.

Perhaps it's not the best approach in leaving something so important as passport photos and translations until the last minute?

Thanks and yeah agree not good to leave it to the last minute, was just thinking of a recon to go check it out before my appointment so might get the translation done then ....

How far down Soi 13 is it ? Is it easy to spot ? is it called Trendy ? thanks again

I was getting my house rental contract translated and some of the translation services in trendy building where quoting a week. I found one in the end who did it in a day so depending on what you are getting translated make sure you do it well before because they might quote a week to do it.

Wonder why one must supply a print out of EVERY page of ones PP..........whistling.gif

Im guessing it's because we have to keep our old passport and it is used for identification purposes in the UK so copying every page is effectively the same as them receiving the actual passport and verifying everything is above board.

Dunno but the PP chip has all your details, so why copy every page of where you/we have been...?

I got my replacement passport about 4 weeks ago via Trendy and today received an "invitation" email asking me to participate in a research project on behalf of HMgov relating to my experience of the application procedures

Have other members received the same? I have not clicked on the link yet,--slightly nervous.

Thanks for any replies.

Yes, survey is by ICM Unlimited with some assurances being given as to anonymity.

Dunno but the PP chip has all your details, so why copy every page of where you/we have been...?

Surely the RFI chip is read only?

Doubtless 'they' (the ghostly ones) do have a good look and without doubt they keep a copy..........

Surely the RFI chip is read only?

Doubtless 'they' (the ghostly ones) do have a good look and without doubt they keep a copy..........

The chip has the same info on it as the main page, so folk cannot tamper with the page, page and chip must tally. But I do not understand why the UK wants a copy of every page of your PP. There must be a reason. If someone is dodgy they can just apply for a "lost" PP.

• Like 1

I'm intending to use my apartment rental agreement as proof of address. My questions are:

1) Do they want the original or will a copy suffice?

2) If they want the original, do I get it back? :-)

tia

I'm intending to use my apartment rental agreement as proof of address. My questions are:

tia

You must take originals of everything, they give them back and the copies sent off, BUT if in Thai you must get it translated and official witnessed, rubber stamped........sad.png

tia

I used rental agreement. I got it translated to English on ground floor at trendy. Most of them where quoting a week for translation so give yourself time just in case.

On the day I brought the original agreement, original translation and a coloured photocopy of all the original documents. (I think all copies need to be in colour)

They will check it all against the original, then stamp the copies as authentic and give the original agreement back to you

tia

I used rental agreement. I got it translated to English on ground floor at trendy. Most of them where quoting a week for translation so give yourself time just in case.

On the day I brought the original agreement, original translation and a coloured photocopy of all the original documents. (I think all copies need to be in colour)

They will check it all against the original, then stamp the copies as authentic and give the original agreement back to you

Thanks bro. My rental agreement is in English anyway so that simplify matters!

The chip has the same info on it as the main page, so folk cannot tamper with the page, page and chip must tally. But I do not understand why the UK wants a copy of every page of your PP. There must be a reason. If someone is dodgy they can just apply for a "lost" PP.

It's quite obvious that they're logging all of our movements from country to country over time.

I have no doubt that every page will be scanned and stored on a computer permanently somewhere.

Then if one day someone decides to investigate you they will have your full travel history to hand which might be useful in preventing terrorism / keeping the children safe or whatever other standard government excuse is in fashion at the time.

• Like 1

When passport applications where done at the UK Embassy in Bangkok one had to sent the existing (old) passport together with the application, hence no need to copy passport pages.

The existing (old) passport is not send to Liverpool because we do need them here until the arrival of the new passport,

When making the passport application .. HMPO requests therefore a copy of the entire passport pages.

It's quite obvious that they're logging all of our movements from country to country over time.

I have no doubt that every page will be scanned and stored on a computer permanently somewhere.

Then if one day someone decides to investigate you they will have your full travel history to hand which might be useful in preventing terrorism / keeping the children safe or whatever other standard government excuse is in fashion at the time.

The US provided software to all countries right after 9/11 that allows tracking of all people movements. I know that it is used at all Thai international border crossing to record things!

Don't worry they already know your exact movements.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me the exact amount taken from a Thai credit card for payment of a standard adult passport by. The HMPO.

My friend let me use her K-bank platinum visa card as payment for the 106 pound 1 pence fee as required from the HMPO on their website.

The documents went to Trendy on the 7 th january, then 2 weeks later i received a email from the HMPO Liverpool saying we owed then another 3 pound 15 pence and the credit card could not be accepted giving no explanation why.I phoned the HMPO help line 3 or 4 times asking them for advice on how to sort the mistake out.

Then on the 24 th January i received another email from HMPO Liverpool saying they were very sorry,and the mistake was their fault and the payment as been made and the passport had now been issued.

The following week the Trendy rang me to tell me the passport was ready for collection.But i am now looking at my friend credit card statement of account for the period 4 th January to the 5 th February and there is no mention of the payment being made .

I would appreciate knowing the amount near enough as i want to repay my friend and give her a box of sweets as a thankyou,my son now as his passport

Can anyone tell me the exact amount taken from a Thai credit card for payment of a standard adult passport by. The HMPO.

My friend let me use her K-bank platinum visa card as payment for the 106 pound 1 pence fee as required from the HMPO on their website.

The documents went to Trendy on the 7 th january, then 2 weeks later i received a email from the HMPO Liverpool saying we owed then another 3 pound 15 pence and the credit card could not be accepted giving no explanation why.I phoned the HMPO help line 3 or 4 times asking them for advice on how to sort the mistake out.

Then on the 24 th January i received another email from HMPO Liverpool saying they were very sorry,and the mistake was their fault and the payment as been made and the passport had now been issued.

The following week the Trendy rang me to tell me the passport was ready for collection.But i am now looking at my friend credit card statement of account for the period 4 th January to the 5 th February and there is no mention of the payment being made .

I would appreciate knowing the amount near enough as i want to repay my friend and give her a box of sweets as a thankyou,my son now as his passport

You can use the Visa exchange rate calculator for historic exchange rates. You'll also need to know the % charge made by the bank on top of that.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-benefits/travel/exchange-rate-calculator.jsp

You can use the Visa exchange rate calculator for historic exchange rates. You'll also need to know the % charge made by the bank on top of that.

Thanks AyG

I calculated from your link that 106 pound= 5,340฿ not sure what the kbank will charge for the transaction,so i wil give my friend 6000฿ that should cover a thankyou for letting us use her card,we will wait and see if the transaction shows up on her card

Thanks AyG

I calculated from your link that 106 pound= 5,340฿ not sure what the kbank will charge for the transaction,so i wil give my friend 6000฿ that should cover a thankyou for letting us use her card,we will wait and see if the transaction shows up on her card

If it's any use to you I made a GBP payment in the UK on 26 Jan on my own Kbank visa credit card and the rate they used on that day was 49.00204. No other charges.

Thanks AyG

If it's any use to you I made a GBP payment in the UK on 26 Jan on my own Kbank visa credit card and the rate they used on that day was 49.00204. No other charges.

Thanks upnotover

I cant understand why it as not shown up in my friends statement of account for the period

4th January to the 5 th February,i would think its the same K bank visa card that you used,but so far nothing as been deducted from the account

Thanks AyG

I calculated from your link that 106 pound= 5,340฿ not sure what the kbank will charge for the transaction, so i will give my friend 6000฿ that should cover a thank you for letting us use her card, we will wait and see if the transaction shows up on her card

I have used K Bank Platinum to pay for UK Passports applied for via trendy.

On each occasion the debit showed up within 3- 4 days of submission and each statement line was annotated in the actual statement with the amount of GPB debited followed by the THB equivalent.

So your friend's credit card statement will show GBP

Passport Type Basic Fee Total to Pay (including courier fee).

Adult standard 32-page passport GBP 83.00 GBP 106.01

Adult jumbo 48-page passport GBP 91.00 GBP 114.01

Child passport GBP 53.00 GBP 76.01

In your case this should be GBP 106.01 converted at the prevailing exchange rate as chosen by K Bank.

HMPO accounts department still don't seem to fully have their act together as I had the opposite problem in December when they were super quick to take the money but were very slow to inform me that they had 'no record' of any payment!

I emailed Newport several times as to why one child application I made went through in 2 weeks but as to why two other child applications were taking ages, they replied that I had not paid (funny as the payment was on my credit card statement).

Never did get an explanation why, in the end the passports just turned up after about 8 weeks without even an apology.

The HMPO helpline as usual covered themselves with glory by refusing to even discuss the issue with me due to the 'Data Protection Act' as I was 'not the applicant' (passports were in fact applied/signed for by me on behalf of my 6 and 3 year old children).

• Like 1

Thanks Digi

I think the HMPO should have a duty to give a better service than the service i have encountered over the past four years

After all i think i read that the HMPO profit for the year 2013 was over a 100 million or so pounds,so god knows what the profit will be for last year after the deluge of applicants and chaos they caused during the English summer.

We are paying for a first class service and the HMPO just arn't up to the job.Four years ago i applied for my passport while i was in Liverpool,i was entitled to 10 years 8 months so i sent the documents off by first class post after getting them checked by the local post office,the passport came back within 2 weeks but did not credit the extra 8 months i was entitled too,i went to HMPO in Old hall st to point out their mistake,well you had a better chance of breaking into fort knox there was xray machines,security all over the place,they did not want me to come in without an appointment,in the end common sense ( ha ha) prevailed and i was able to speak to someone pointing out their mistake,they took my passport and issued a new one giving me the correct credit.

Then we have the choas of last summer when i helped my friends 13 year old daughter apply for her passport.

18 weeks it took from start to finnish,14 weeks for the passport to be issued then 4 weeks gathering dust at the Trendy office before they bothered to phone the mother,who then had to get the overnight bus to collect the passport from Trendy,this was after paying before the changes in March 125 pound for a 5 year child passport on the understanding it would be returned to their home by DHL.The only issue for the delay was proof of address because they kept asking for a 13 year old tax records,ID card work permit etc to be translated, instead when common sense finally prevailed they accepted a simple letter from her school stating that. She attends this school and her address at the school is.

Then this latest episode,after taking note of Digitalchromakey excellent advice and info,i made sure i would not make any mistake with my sons passport,needless to say after 10 days i received a blunt email saying we owed 3 pound 15 pence and the credit card could not be accepted without any explanation why,then after 4 phone calls to the help ( yourself ) line that cost 500 ฿

I received a email saying how sorry they were over their mistake and the passport had now been issued and i could collect it at Tredy but checking my friends credit card statement,the fee as so far not been deducted.

The mind boggles

• Like 2

Just checking, have I forgotten anything, I am rolleyes.gif at paperwork.......

Colour copies of.....

All PP pages

2 letters from UK gov with my LOS address, less than one year old.

My birth certificate on 2 x A4 sheets as it is too big (long) for one sheet, overlapped so it can be seen as a copy of the same document.

Original Stuff.

Passport.

Application form.

Birth Certificate.

2 x UK gov letters.

CC payment form.

2 x hansum photos.

Letter to enter Trendy.

Fink thats it. Strange the form I downloaded had some letters missing, and all seemed a bit small but did fill the A4 sheet.